The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

You're welcome. If you're into flash then don't select the 'silent mode' as it kills signal to the hotshoe.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not heavily into flash but I do use it sometimes which brings me onto another question. Obviously the supplied flash is the equivalent to a pop up flash so I'll be in the market for a proper flashgun at some point. Having come from an old Sony DSLR where the hotshoe is proprietary, I'm hoping that the hotshoe is compatible with Nikon/Canon flashguns? Specifically, I'm looking at getting a couple of Jessops flashes in Nikon/Canon fit and was hoping they would work ok with the X-T1.

I would give the Yongnuo 560 iv some consideration. There is also the 560tx which can control the flash off camera and has 6 groups if you need to add more lighting. the flash is £53 and the tx unit is under £30. It is a standard hotshoe so you'll be able to use other brands etc.

The Nissin i40 is probably the best option should you wish to use TTL and it's form factor fits better with the size of the xt1.

Thanks David, the Yongnuo sounds good. So the tx unit acts like triggers then? I was going to get some new triggers anyway as mine are for use with the Sony hotshoe/flashguns.

Yes Marc. The flashes have the recievers built in and the TX unit triggers them. You change everything via the tx for the flashes so if you want to up the power you just press a button and it changes on the flash automatically.

I bought one just to make sure i get on ok with it as a system and i shall be adding at least another one if not two to finish my collection. Can't really think why I'd need more than 3 anyway. The cost is unbelievable really when you compare them to some of the others. If you don't need fandangled TTL and all that malarky then you're daft not to putchase these tbh. Or rich.

Colin put a pic of the tx unit on his xt1 on page 80 if you want a gleg. I initially thought wow it's massive (ahem) but in reality it's not that big (ahem ahem).

Last edited:
Have you a link to the exact flash and controller you are referring to David? I am interested as I have been looking for a flash system myself for my Fuji and am totally fine with manual flash for my requirements.

Colin put a pic of the tx unit on his xt1 on page 80 if you want a gleg. I initially thought wow it's massive (ahem) but in reality it's not that big (ahem ahem).

I tried to display it at an angle which made it look bigger, as I always do.

Yes Marc. The flashes have the recievers built in and the TX unit triggers them. You change everything via the tx for the flashes so if you want to up the power you just press a button and it changes on the flash automatically.

Excellent, might have to wait a little though as you lot have spent enough of my money for 1 month! :p

Colin put a pic of the tx unit on his xt1 on page 80 if you want a gleg

Haha, just 5 up from my initial post. :D

I tried to display it at an angle which made it look bigger, as I always do

Well don't we all? :cool:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess when the next cashback scheme will be? I picked up my X-T1 at the beginning of the last run, was just about ready the pull the trigger on some more glass and it's ended :(
I'm slightly cautious of buying now especially when the cashback is as generous as it is

has anyone used digital rev to get their xt1 or any lenses? just been comparing prices with panamoz and they are £300 cheaper for what im after but they dont cover any customs charges do they?

will be a couple of months but i will when i do, thinking xt-1 with 18-135, a 35 and a 14 now :D

Forgot to mention, the strap isn't very impressive and looks rather uncomfortable. Anyone use it or have they put a different one on?

I had a spare which I think looks a lot better

View attachment 34159

Also, this is the X-T1 compared to the Sony DSLR, such a difference!

View attachment 34160

@fabs Quick reminder Marc, remember that if you use silent mode it will disable the flash

Wow... that strap...

I just use my Focus sling. Perfect.

I have a Black Rapid sling but I spend 99% of my shooting time sat down so I need to go back to a neck strap. I actually bought that strap to go on an Olympus OM10 last year b9ut it never happened.

@fabs Quick reminder Marc, remember that if you use silent mode it will disable the flash

Thanks Rich. I take it that silent mode refers to the shutter sound?

Thanks Rich. I take it that silent mode refers to the shutter sound?

No problem Marc, I believe it turns all sound off along with the flash and af lamp, caught a few people out though

No problem Marc, I believe it turns all sound off along with the flash and af lamp, caught a few people out though

Well I rather like the sound of the shutter so I'll probably not put it in silent mode but it's good to know anyway.

You're welcome. If you're into flash then don't select the 'silent mode' as it kills signal to the hotshoe.

:D

Been reading a few blogs about the xt1 and people using them for professional use. I recall a few members here moving to them for weddings and the like, did it work out or did you move back to a DSLR system?

:D

Been reading a few blogs about the xt1 and people using them for professional use. I recall a few members here moving to them for weddings and the like, did it work out or did you move back to a DSLR system?

The AF wasn't good enough for me in poorly lit churches and registry offices. I'm not a massive fan of upping the ISO to far as I'm not keen on a large noise at the upper end. I went back to using the Nikon D750 / D810 combo. The X-T1 is not great for capturing the B&G as they march down the isle. Is ok for speeches and groups though but that's about it.

What lenses was this using, Nick? Thanks.[/QUOTE

I was using the 23mm & 35mm both fast lenses. I know plenty of wedding togs crank up the ISO to overcome the AF but that just increases the noise so they produced the images in monochrome to compensate as it looks appalling in colour. That's not my style.

How does upping the iso help with the AF btw? So far i have been impressed with the high iso. Obviously nothing like a 610/750 but i thought it was pretty smart at 6400.

I don't want to mislead you and perhaps I have.I probably didn't phrase it very well. Upping the ISO just allows the sensor to record more light but increases noise. In effect by upping the ISO you can also increase the shutter speed which is good for freezing couples walking down the isle. However the AF tracking will track the B&G but it's not as fast and responsive as a DSLR and you can miss the shot. I will often stop them (pre arranged signal) take a couple of shots and then get out of the way. Hope I have managed to clarify my point.

Thanks Nick. I see what you mean for freezing the motion. Did you find the iso performance wasn't up to much then? Loss of colour and detail, noise or both? Obviously depends what you're used to i suppose but coming from Nikons APS-C i think it's very good.

Not that I'm going to be doing weddings but i may start to do some outdoor portraits.

Thanks again.
David.

Thanks Nick. I see what you mean for freezing the motion. Did you find the iso performance wasn't up to much then? Loss of colour and detail, noise or both? Obviously depends what you're used to i suppose but coming from Nikons APS-C i think it's very good.

Not that I'm going to be doing weddings but i may start to do some outdoor portraits.

Thanks again.
David.

The colour rendition is fine it's just that high ISO leads to noise it's particularly noticeable in contrasting areas and when the BF is out of focus using large apertures, some wedding togs deal with it by sharpening up and prancing the noise to look like film emulsion grain in a black and white image. As s black and white image it's acceptable but not in colour. That's just my opinion. There are many wedding togs who use Auto ISO and shoot everything at 1/250s in aperture priority and allow the camera to pick the corresponding aperture and high ISO with noise. I'm not saying that's Wright or wrong but my personal preference every time is to shoot on the lowest ISO I can even if that involves using (balanced / defused, but never harsh direct) flash.

The X-T1 is great camera for portraits when combined with the XF 56mm or Zeiss Touit 50mm and that is one of its strengths.

Last edited:
I hate noise so I'm with you on that one but i haven't seen anything I'm too worried about. I was pretty dissapointed with my D7100's iso performance. ISO 1250 produced more noise than i was happy with in my shots. I haven't really tried to push the shadows yet or do any hard processing so i haven't seen how well they stack up. Having said that, i haven't really had the need to tbh.

The 56 is definately on the list to get.

does anyone use the x100t as a spare/23mm instead of the 23mm 1.4 on the xt1? Thinking of getting one for when out and about travelling instead of having to switch lens

does anyone use the x100t as a spare/23mm instead of the 23mm 1.4 on the xt1? Thinking of getting one for when out and about travelling instead of having to switch lens

I've been using the X100S and an M42 24mm to try and stop myself spending more money on the 23mm. Lasted longer than i thought I would but succumbed the other day and bought the 23mm :rolleyes:

The lens on the X100S/T is not quite as good but it's not far off. And if you like to use OCF the X100/s/t is worth having for the leaf shutter.

Now does anyone want to buy a 24mm M42 lens? :D:D

Back