The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just seen a UK dealers ( in Leeds ;) ) website which says the price of the XT-2 is going to rise by £200, anyone else seen this or can confirm the rise?

Last edited:
I won't be buying an X-2 until they come way down. I've been through it in my mind dozens of times, I still don't see any major benefit for 'me' personally over the XT-1. The 2 would have to have a good improvement in ISO performance and general IQ for me to 'really' want the step up. Fact is, it just doesn't. the improvements are more ergonomic, and the better AF .... no biggy for me. I will get one some day, but I'm in no rush. It's more nice lenses I desire.

Last edited:
I won't be buying an X-2 until they come way down. I've been through it in my mind dozens of times, I still don't see any major benefit for 'me' personally over the XT-1. The 2 would have to have a good improvement in ISO performance and general IQ for me to 'really' want the step up. Fact is, it just doesn't. the improvements are more ergonomic, and the better AF .... no biggy for me. I will get one some day, but I'm in no rush. It's more nice lenses I desire.

IMO the ISO Image Quality performance is at least two stops better than the X-T1 - but currently it is at least 3 x the price of a decent used X-T1!!!

IMO the ISO Image Quality performance is at least two stops better than the X-T1 - but currently it is at least 3 x the price of a decent used X-T1!!!

It's not though, I've watched a million comparisons. Not even one stop, let alone 2. If it was I would push a lot harder to have one. In fact, in one direct comparison the XT-1 files looked more pleasing with better contrast at 3200-6400, I would never shoot above that either way.

It might have been this one, you'll have to scroll way down for the ISO comparison: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-fujifilm/x-t1-vs-x-t2/

"Concerning noise ratio performance, I didn’t find much of a difference with the new sensor. The amount of noise seems to be very similar despite the increased resolution of the X-T2."

Last edited:
You're right that the ergonomics are an improvement. That alone was enough to swing me as I was happy enough with the output of the T1 and, like you, focus speed doesn't worry me (within reason!). However the improvement in shadow recovery is very welcome.

It's not though, I've watched a million comparisons. Not even one stop, let alone 2. If it was I would push a lot harder to have one. In fact, in one direct comparison the XT-1 files looked more pleasing with better contrast at 3200-6400, I would never shoot above that either way.

It might have been this one, you'll have to scroll way down for the ISO comparison: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-fujifilm/x-t1-vs-x-t2/

"Concerning noise ratio performance, I didn’t find much of a difference with the new sensor. The amount of noise seems to be very similar despite the increased resolution of the X-T2."

Keith

I'm talking about my real world experience and the ability of something like Nik Dfine to help clean up the image. Maybe the X-Ttans3 noise is different and cleans up better. I will happily shoot at ISO6400 on the X-Trans3 and use 12,800 as well. I certainly didn't get the decent results at those ISO's on the X-T1. You have to have a decent dynamic image though, the black cat in the coal hole will never recover well.

However the improvement in shadow recovery is very welcome.

This is simply miles ahead of the X-T1

My experience is backed up by a long discussion with an X-Photographer, again who is shooting in the real world and not the lab.

Now none of this is a justification of for buying an X-T2 over and X-T1, everyone has to make their own opinions over what is best for them, the the raw facts are though - the X-T2 is a better camera, and the X-Trans3 sensor is a better sensor.

X-Trans3 at ISO5000

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio a Fontana di Trevi 01 2000px
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

ISO6400

170812 Lyme Park - Clock ISO6400

ISO12800 SOOC Provia

161015 Liverpool Catholic Catherdral ISO12800 SOOC

ACROS SOOC ISO12800

160929 Window Shopping ISO 12800

Last edited:
Keith

I'm talking about my real world experience and the ability of something like Nik Dfine to help clean up the image. Maybe the X-Ttans3 noise is different and cleans up better. I will happily shoot at ISO6400 on the X-Trans3 and use 12,800 as well. I certainly didn't get the decent results at those ISO's on the X-T1. You have to have a decent dynamic image though, the black cat in the coal hole will never recover well.

This is simply miles ahead of the X-T1

My experience is backed up by a long discussion with an X-Photographer, again who is shooting in the real world and not the lab.

Now none of this is a justification of for buying an X-T2 over and X-T1, everyone has to make their own opinions over what is best for them, the the raw facts are though - the X-T2 is a better camera, and the X-Trans3 sensor is a better sensor.

X-Trans3 at ISO5000

Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio a Fontana di Trevi 01 2000px

ISO6400

170812 Lyme Park - Clock ISO6400

ISO12800 SOOC Provia

161015 Liverpool Catholic Catherdral ISO12800 SOOC

ACROS SOOC ISO12800

160929 Window Shopping ISO 12800

I would say the review I linked is pretty extensive and does cover all of what you mention, it does state where it is better, I'm just concerned with ISO performance. Also, on pulling back detail he says there's little to no difference:

" The difference between the two options is rarely noticeable even when you push your post-processing to the limit (e.g. recovering 5 stops in low light). It’s interesting to see that the X-T1 displays less noise because of the lower megapixel count."

The XT-2 has one stop better native ISO, but that doesn't always mean it performs better at the same settings. Matieu Gasquet is a pretty solid reviewer and I don't think he's half arse comparing.

I don't actually think the XT-1 is great at higher ISO, which is why I would want soething much better to really force me to change

Last edited:
Hi folks I am in serious need of Help. Today I have had a few drinks with a young lady, and it turns out I went to school with her mum and dad back in the earlly 1960s in Australia, well her daughter is singing in a pub tonight and I want to go back a and take some shots of her singing in a pub. Lighting is not too bad, camera will be X-T2 + XF 18-55mm, so settings please.

Hi folks I am in serious need of Help. Today I have had a few drinks with a young lady, and it turns out I went to school with her mum and dad back in the earlly 1960s in Australia, well her daughter is singing in a pub tonight and I want to go back a and take some shots of her singing in a pub. Lighting is not too bad, camera will be X-T2 + XF 18-55mm, so settings please.

Keep your shutter speed up and don't be afraid to push the ISO. I've shot many gigs in the past and even with fast primes or 2.8 zooms you'll be in the 1600-3200 range in half decent lighting. If the lighting is really good you might get away with 800, just use the widest aperture you got. With that lens I'd just set it to F4 and leave it at that, then you only need worry about shutter speed and ISO. Have fun :)

I would say the review I linked is pretty extensive and does cover all of what you mention, it does state where it is better, I'm just concerned with ISO performance. Also, on pulling back detail he says there's little to no difference:

" The difference between the two options is rarely noticeable even when you push your post-processing to the limit (e.g. recovering 5 stops in low light). It’s interesting to see that the X-T1 displays less noise because of the lower megapixel count."

The XT-2 has one stop better native ISO, but that doesn't always mean it performs better at the same settings. Matieu Gasquet is a pretty solid reviewer and I don't think he's half arse comparing.

I don't actually think the XT-1 is great at higher ISO, which is why I would want soething much better to really force me to change

Keith, I'm not dissing the reviewer or his findings, I and many others have just have had different experiences - not by doing a direct comparison, but from shooting for a couple of years with X-Trans2 and for a year with X-Trans3.

Keith, I'm not dissing the reviewer or his findings, I and many others have just have had different experiences - not by doing a direct comparison, but from shooting for a couple of years with X-Trans2 and for a year with X-Trans3.

But ...but ... I don't want it to be much better! :ROFLMAO: I have no money, let me keep thinking the ISO performance is just as good ;) I'll give you everything else

Keep your shutter speed up and don't be afraid to push the ISO. I've shot many gigs in the past and even with fast primes or 2.8 zooms you'll be in the 1600-3200 range in half decent lighting. If the lighting is really good you might get away with 800, just use the widest aperture you got. With that lens I'd just set it to F4 and leave it at that, then you only need worry about shutter speed and ISO. Have fun :)

This, but I would also consider Auto-ISO, but as Keith says keep the shutter speed up, especially if she moves about a bit. Better to have a slightly noisy image than a blurred one! Remember with X-T2 you can set multiple AutoISO profiles and quickly switch between them

I've a tendency to snatch at shots when trying to take them quickly, so I've taken to using AutoISO max 64000, min Shutter Speed 1/200, but you could easily get away with lower SS if you are cool under pressure.

The Statue shot I posted above about was on that setting and as you can see ISO5000 is pretty good!

Keep am eye on the histogram though, if its not balanced, ie all to the left it will make decent image recovery a lot harder.

Last edited:
This, but I would also consider Auto-ISO, but as Keith says keep the shutter speed up, especially if she moves about a bit. Better to have a slightly noisy image than a blurred one! Remember with X-T2 you can set multiple AutoISO profiles and quickly switch between them

I had a quick glance through my old gig shots there, and 1/80 - 1/125 seems to be where I was at mostly. That allows for decent ISO range, and if you do get a bit of movement it can still work.

This was in a pretty dark environment, but focusing on the light on the singer worked out grand. https://www.flickr.com/photos/cagey75/8037289689/in/album-72157626148732984/

ISO 4000, 1/125, 2.8. In better lighting ISO 1600--3200 should be sufficient. Auto ISO up to 3200 might well do the trick. Upping contrast, blacks and a little NR does wonders for gig shots I find

Last edited:

Don't suppose you have a fast prime?

Love the reflections and mist coming up off the river, great shot again Graham:)

Thanks Dave

You're getting the hang of this, aren't you? ;) Lovely, again!

Cheers Stephen, not sure about that you don't see all the crap ones I produce

I do like this, puts me very much in mind of an old master

Thanks John

Very nice Fujoto Sir, well composed, plenty of nice atmosphere, lovely light & colours with some nice reflections.(y)

George.

Thanks you George

Beautiful again! Great work.

Cheers G

I think I need to start getting out of bed earlier so I can attempt to emulate this. Great shot!
If I was being picky, for my taste the buildings are a little too bright and so it feels to me a little artificial. But that might just be my preferences.

Thanks Mark be as picky as you can.

Totally stunning mate. Love this.

Thanks Scott

A few from me from during the past week: The water 'art' were shot with the 35 1.4 + 11mm extension, the 'macro' bug shots were shot using the old Helios 44-2 on 26mm of ext tubes, off cam flash for all [Lee colour gels on the water droplets].

Solemn by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Mellow by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Sneaky Moth by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Clean hands fly by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

Great set of Fujotos Sir, liking all of them very much with my fav's being #1 & #2.(y)

George.

Great set of Fujotos Sir, liking all of them very much with my fav's being #1 & #2.(y)

George.

Cheers :) It's been a while since I messed about with flash and water :)

Cracking set of shot mate, love the lot :)

Cheers Dave, appreciate the comment :)

So would you say, I am best with Auto ISO ?

I would use it, it'll prevent messing about with settings and possibly missing shots. You may find that many of your images are much the same, if it's just a static singer, so watch out for movement changes, try capture some of the unique moments, like a smile she gives or a hand motion during an emotional piece or whatever. Part of the fun is being involved in the performance and watching for little things like that. You want to not be worrying much on your settings and auto ISO will make it more fluid for you. Work the exp comp instead changing ISO manually. I almost always use -1 exp comp in semi auto modes on the XT-1, as I find it likes to over expose a tad otherwise. Maybe try that as a starting point.

Last edited:
A few from me from during the past week: The water 'art' were shot with the 35 1.4 + 11mm extension, the 'macro' bug shots were shot using the old Helios 44-2 on 26mm of ext tubes, off cam flash for all [Lee colour gels on the water droplets].

Lovely stuff, the water droplets and the last one especially.

One thing that is noticeable with x-trans 3 is the ability to shoot at high ISO without forced noise reduction. This results in images that appear less muddy and are easier to sharpen.

What a great set! One and four for me :) Love the water droplets! You don't need a new camera by the looks of it :)

What a great set! One and four for me :) Love the water droplets! You don't need a new camera by the looks of it :)

One thing that is noticeable with x-trans 3 is the ability to shoot at high ISO without forced noise reduction. This results in images that appear less muddy and are easier to sharpen.

That could be the key, also the ability to use extended ISO in RAW format

Tŷ bach Du by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Modern Dinorwig by Alan Jones, on Flickr

It's interesting photography weather at the moment, rapidly changing from rain to sun with plenty of mood. I tried to get ahead of the rain yesterday but sadly the Sun went down before it chad cleared enough and I only managed these two that I'm reasonably happy with.

Would people please stop talking about how much better the XTrans3 is compared to the XTrans2 - I keep getting these little bouts of "upgradeitis" and none of you are helping me quell it :)

It never ends ... Just realise that YOU make the magic, not the gear ;) You have to realise that we are just spoiled these days. Even with older models, up to 5-6yrs old, we have it handy towards pro's just prior to that. Also we probably don't make good use of 90% of the functions that we yearn so much to possess .... It may seem like I'm advising you this .... actually I'm just trying to convince myself :LOL:

Totally agree - every now and again, I look and am shocked it was an XT1... Stupid but those damn salesmen really do have me trained but the my better half does tend to say I'm an ad man's dream!

Back