The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

It's not just about gear though, my 1Ds2 with Sigma 50mm setup that I love, costs less than my X-T2 and 35mm setup, is cheaper than my X-T1 with the same lens, but not the X-E1! Of course it's also a massive brick of a setup compared to the Fuji's! The shutter sound is awesome though, like chambering a round with a 12 gauge :D

Gear aside, I just like FF more than crop when comparing lens equivalent setups. At the moment crop doesn't have the super fast AF lenses (sub f1.0) to make a good shout of it. In isolation I love the Fuji output, but alongside FF I just prefer a FF 35mm f1.4 over a crop 23mm f1.4. I still like the crop, which is why I still cling on to two setups!

I keep meaning to buy the mitakon 35mm f0.95 but they haven't got round to it. It's when considering this that I think more of a Sony FF mirrorless setup with small manual glass and larger AF glass as and when is needed. I Iike EVF and tiltable rear screens, and the tactile Fuji X-T1/2 bodies are great. I've literally tossed a coin to decide which setup to sell in the past, and only haven't gone through it as it's such a pain to sell (mpb never offer me anything close to second hand sale price, I don't know how others get that), Fuji has lost out on each coin toss my the way!

I don't shoot landscape at all, my main is candid family stuff as a happy snapper, but I like the wide open look (with moving subjects indoors a fast aperture is needed anyway).

I guess I'm just the opposite, a wide angle is always the last thing I'll look for with any system. When I shot FX the widest I had was a 35 1.4, which is about the equiv of a 23mm on Fuji. And I found that too wide for my liking for general shooting and would end up cropping a lot of shots anyway, I preferred the 85mm for general shooting and a 300mm with a TC for reach, birds, moon shots etc. Atm the widest I have on the Fuji is also a 35 1.4, but I prefer it in the APSC. If I had the spare cash I think the 56mm 1.2 would be the perfect lens for me in general on the fuji. This is one of the reasons I've been eyeing M43, they seem to have better choices when it comes to cheaper reach. That and the incredible stabilization.

New X-T2 user here.

Just wondering what editing software is the best for the camera and fuji system?

My most preferred is Lightroom, I have read there are issues with this.

Is there a solution as of yet? Does the Conversion software on the fuji website help?

Cheers

New X-T2 user here.

Just wondering what editing software is the best for the camera and fuji system?

Is there a solution as of yet? Does the Conversion software on the fuji website help?

Cheers

Tom LR dies quite a good job these days, haven't tried the very latest version so can't comment on that. I use it for a lot of my general stuff, for the better Landscapes I take I use Irident X transformer it can be used as a plug in for LR personally think you get slightly more detail from it. It produces DNA files so even after conversion you can still apply film presets in LR.

Hi all. I've been forcing myself recently to use my X-T2 purchased a few months ago, asI haven't really fell for it yet (maybe I'm just too used to Nikon & Olympus), and am still getting used to it's idiosyncrasies. One of the things that does frustrate me though (don't know if it's just my camera), is that when turning the aperture ring quickly (say from F8 to F2.8), there seems to be a short delay whilst the camera "catches up" and displays the correct setting. Is this normal of just a feature of the consumer lenses I'm using (15-55, 18-135, 55-200 & 10-24) ?

Also, when using self timer on both my Nikon and Olympus cameras, as well as the default timings for the self timer function, they both a customization option allowing you to select the delay you want yourself. On both my other bodies I've set this to 5 seconds (which is my preferred delay), but on the X-T2 I can only see 2 and 10 seconds. Is there not a customized option available ?

New X-T2 user here.

Cheers
Never had any issue with LR processing landscapes. It's a malicious rumour spread by 400% pixel-peepers. ;)

It produces DNA files so even after conversion you can still apply film presets in LR.

Tom, you probably worked this out, but of course it's DNG :). But I entirely agree with Graham's comment. If you do the kind of landscapes, or indeed other pictures, where really fine details are important to you, the X Transformer plugin will give you better detail with less sharpening needed.

New X-T2 user here.

Cheers
Hi Tom,

I have two methods of PP.

If I'm out & about and in a hurry, download JPGs to my iPad Pro, pull them into Snapseed, quick edit and up to Social Media.

When I get home I download the raw files to my storage, then bring them into LightRoom and maybe PS.

I have the camera set up so one card is JPG, the other Raw, this makes the above process easier. Do you have the Fuji App on your phone/tablet?

Tom, you probably worked this out, but of course it's DNG :). But I entirely agree with Graham's comment. If you do the kind of landscapes, or indeed other pictures, where really fine details are important to you, the X Transformer plugin will give you better detail with less sharpening needed.
Lol i was close. Should really read what i type.

New X-T2 user here.

Cheers

I haven't experienced any major issues with my very early (and admittedly limited in number) processing of RAF files. The previews are a little slower to generate but that could be due tot he megapixel increase - my previous camera was a Canon 5d Mkii.

While I have been ill I have been testing both the ACDSee software on Fuji Raf files, this quick edit was done in ACDSee Professional 2018, I do like the Dehaze in it too. For this one it is $99 and the Ultimate is $149, both to me are a lot quicker than LR as it opens my Fuji Raf without any problems.

DSCF2502.jpg

While I have been ill I have been testing both the ACDSee software on Fuji Raf files, this quick edit was done in ACDSee Professional 2018, I do like the Dehaze in it too. For this one it is $99 and the Ultimate is $149, both to me are a lot quicker than LR as it opens my Fuji Raf without any problems.

View attachment 113281
Is that a worm I see on the lawn? ;)

I was about to comment on your eyesight and then realised what 'worm' you were referring to! Is it best not to get wrapped up in the worm discussion? Seems to be a contentious issue. Maybe it's the honeymoon period I'm in but I'm very happy with the image quality I'm getting with my XT2

I was about to comment on your eyesight and then realised what 'worm' you were referring to! Is it best not to get wrapped up in the worm discussion? Seems to be a contentious issue. Maybe it's the honeymoon period I'm in but I'm very happy with the image quality I'm getting with my XT2

Worms and Waxing skin are two things that I have never seen in ANY of my shots, but I don`t blow a photo up 100s of times :) Do agree with you though.

Worms and Waxing skin are two things that I have never seen in ANY of my shots, but I don`t blow a photo up 100s of times :) Do agree with you though.
Nor have I. My comment was very much tongue in cheek!

Where's @snerkler when we need him.
He'll find the worms for you, even those underground! !!
Worms are pretty obvious tbh, but they're purely from over sharpening and not a flaw of the Fuji imo (y)

I pixel peep my images at 1:1 when in Lightroom and I see plenty of worms after sharpening there. I have sharpened this shot a bit more than I would normally, to illustrate this more clearly:

worm by CFC Photo, on Flickr

1:1 crop of above image ...

worm1 by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Worms are pretty obvious tbh, but they're purely from over sharpening and not a flaw of the Fuji imo (y)

I don't think that I have gone way over the top with the sharpening, yet the worms are horrendous. I'm not saying that most people cannot live with them for their own purposes and workflow, but I can't understand why there are only 2 or 3 of us that know that they are there... or admit to them being there. Surely if it was not a side effect from the X-Trans 2 (in my case) then Lightroom would have identified and eradicated the problem by now...

... just saying! :confused:

Well don't pixel peep. Problem solved.

Easier said than done. I enter club competitions and it's just a habit to zoom in and check the quality of the image before getting it printed and presented to the judges.

The ones who complain most are the pixel peepers.
Don't sit 3" from your screen at 300% resolution.
Stand back and look at the image. Don't look at the processing. That's the approach of a camera club competition judge. And they are boring old xxxxs!!!

Easier said than done. I enter club competitions and it's just a habit to zoom in and check the quality of the image before getting it printed and presented to the judges.
Do you actually see them when printed to, say, A3?

Back