The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

As I mentioned on previous page, I returned my Refurb one as the control pad was freezing and camera not metering correctly. I ordered a new one from Panamoz on Thursday morning and it turned up Lunch time today (Monday). Well impresed with the service and price @ £731.00. Initial assessment, the newer camera I have does seem to have the better control pad compared to the refurb, the operation is more positive with clicks, the refurb was a bit softer - mushy. Not checked for light leak, but expect newer model won't have the problem.

This was taken with the 23mm, f/1.4 at 1/250s using 1600 ISO (not auto-ISO). The pub interior was very dark punctuated by the strong light. I have cropped the image to remove some beer glasses and other tat that distracted from the subject(s). Basically by shooting in manual it gave me full control. I wanted to freeze the movement of some fast strumming so choose 1/250s. I opened up the aperture as wide as I could in order to reduce the ISO to an acceptable minimal . Given that it's a quite a heavy crop and the ISO was 1600 I'm impressed by the low level of noise. In addition, given that I was shooting into harsh lighting the meter has coped with these difficult conditions extremely well. I was going to use the Exposure Value setting but found I didn't need to.

Richard/Alan, once you're off the A setting on the shutter speed dial, it's free - no lock.
Generally use mine in manual, it's the ISO dial that needs the centre button pressing to change settings. It becomes easier the more you do it though I do tend to have auto ISO selected
Allan

I have had a little play with my new camera this morning and I dont know if the firmware update has made the camera focussing quicker, but, it seems very quick compared to my returned refurb one and my old XP1. I have been using my 35mm lens. To me its seems to be as quick as my old D7000. I know we have good lighting at the moment with the sun out, but has anyone else noticed any difference since firmware update??? Or perhaps it's just me???

I have had a little play with my new camera this morning and I dont know if the firmware update has made the camera focussing quicker, but, it seems very quick compared to my returned refurb one and my old XP1. I have been using my 35mm lens. To me its seems to be as quick as my old D7000. I know we have good lighting at the moment with the sun out, but has anyone else noticed any difference since firmware update??? Or perhaps it's just me???

No real noticeable difference, the 35mm was very quick to focus previously in any case

Likewise, no discernable difference here. I can still manually focus faster than the camera can manage electronically on the 35mm

Speaking of AF, where do the 14mm and 23mm sit in terms of speed? Faster than 35mm? As fast as 18-55?

Likewise, no discernable difference here. I can still manually focus faster than the camera can manage electronically on the 35mm

Speaking of AF, where do the 14mm and 23mm sit in terms of speed? Faster than 35mm? As fast as 18-55?

I have the 18mm, 23mm and also the 18-55mm. They are all blistering quick. See my previous picture above, taken with the 23mm, even in dark pub conditions and shooting into the light it was very fast. It is my favourite lens by far (35mm equiv.)

Has anyone seen proper reviews of the 18-135mm lens yet? I know it is on pre order on WEX s website but not on others

I have been looking around for a cheap large camera bag to store all my gear in at home and came across a Koolertron BBK4 from Amazon.
I like the look of it although it will probably only ever go outside between the house and car.
Does anyone have one of these bags or can suggest something similar in the same price bracket ( under £50) that would store xt1 with 55-200. Xpro1 with 18.55.( or the other way round) Xe2 body, XF1 and X20 and maybe another lens, batteries etc.
Allan

Devon Camera Centre also have it available on pre order and are cheaper for it than WEX. Guess where mine's coming from! Just waiting for it to arrive and for the voucher from Fuji.

Is the £250 voucher still available if you buy and register a new X-T1?

I'm just on the verge of ordering an XT1 (just have to wait for BT details from Panamoz).

I was debating between Fuji and Sony for ages when I made the move from DSLR to mirrorless. I ended up with a Sony A6000 (due to price and features), which is a great camera, but the more I thought about it, and looked at Fuji files I knew that I had to try one to see what all the fuss is about!

There's just something about the Fuji (both pictures and the actual XT1 camera) which draw me in. Hopefully in a week or so (thanks to the help of a lovely bloke on here) I should be finding out.

Now, does anyone want to buy a little used A6000......?

My X-T1 left France earlier this evening and will hopefully make it here tomorrow. I've got a couple of batteries fully charged and a screen protector ready to fit.

I ended up with a Sony A6000 (due to price and features), which is a great camera, but the more I thought about it, and looked at Fuji files I knew that I had to try one to see what all the fuss is about!

Let me know how you get on, I've done exactly the same. Love my little A6000 but keep looking at this thread every day and try to tell myself I made the right choice. :confused:

My refurb XT1 arrived two days ago, and so far i'm very happy with it. Operationally its a huge improvement over the Xp1.

Haven't had to much time with it yet, so early days!

Has anyone found somewhere with the eye cups in stock yet?

look whats just arrived for me ;) wish the batteries charged faster

5750-1404464326-dfbf9e4d21d045a04286bb25b7799174.jpg

Let me know how you get on, I've done exactly the same. Love my little A6000 but keep looking at this thread every day and try to tell myself I made the right choice. :confused:

Thing is, the A6000 is great, there's no logical reason to want to change, but as I said there's just something about the Fuji images (esp all the SOOC jpegs I've seen) that I really like.

look whats just arrived for me ;) wish the batteries charged faster

Mine arrived half an hour ago, thanks to having the X-pro1 already I had three batteries all charged and ready to go. couple of lenses in the bag ready. Two SD cards freshly formatted.

Now, where is the off switch for the blasted rain!

I'm just on the verge of ordering an XT1 (just have to wait for BT details from Panamoz).

I was debating between Fuji and Sony for ages when I made the move from DSLR to mirrorless. I ended up with a Sony A6000 (due to price and features), which is a great camera, but the more I thought about it, and looked at Fuji files I knew that I had to try one to see what all the fuss is about!

There's just something about the Fuji (both pictures and the actual XT1 camera) which draw me in. Hopefully in a week or so (thanks to the help of a lovely bloke on here) I should be finding out.

Now, does anyone want to buy a little used A6000......?

I was in a similar position as you. I couldn't get on with the EVF (legacy manual focussing) on the Xpro-1 and sold camera and lenses. I was looking to change to M4/3, but when I looked at these cameras I just couldn't let the Fuji go and when I tried the XT1 in my local shop it was a no brainer. I have decided to stick with the Fuji and use legacy lenses for the reach until the superzoom comes out, hope it's upto 400mm. The reach, along with the XP1 EVf made me consider changing, I don't think I would have been happy with anything else unless I went FF, which wasn't going to happen due to my disabilities.

Mine arrived half an hour ago, thanks to having the X-pro1 already I had three batteries all charged and ready to go. couple of lenses in the bag ready. Two SD cards freshly formatted.

For info there was a FW update last week if you didn't know. Down here it was scorching Tuesday then rain showers since, crazy weather.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder Simon, I did actually know but had completely forgotten again.

Loving the manual focus with legacy lenses compared with the X-Pro1.
Got the app up and running on my phone.

Feeling a bit sorry for the X-Pro1. It may suffer some neglect for the next little while.

Git :) :) although it's scorching here which I guess makes up for it

Thanks for the reminder Simon, I did actually know but had completely forgotten again.

Loving the manual focus with legacy lenses compared with the X-Pro1.
Got the app up and running on my phone.

Feeling a bit sorry for the X-Pro1. It may suffer some neglect for the next little while.

It's like night and day compared to the XP1 using legacy lenses. I tried my Pentacon 50mm f1.8 yesterday and with some extension tubes and the focusing is much easier, with good results. For the time being I have just bought the 35mm to have one Fuji lens until the superzoom comes out. I also have a Vivitar 28-105 f2.8-3.8 and a Vivitar 100-300mm F5, I am getting some great results with the 28-105, I had a 28-75 Tamron for my Nikon DSLR and like this length and don't need wider. I am finding the 100-300mm a little harder to use as the focusing ring is a little slack, slightest movement and I am OOF. All fun though.

I'm glad I stayed with Fuji and I am finding the XT a better camera for my needs compared to the XPro-1.

Had my X-T1 a week now and LOVE it. Got the 56mm a few days after and have already shifted my Nikon 85 1.4 and am selling a D3s. The X-T1 and 56 will now replace that for weddings, not quite ready to ditch the other D3s and 35 yet but if all goes well I want to be completely Fuji by the end of summer, I've got the X100s as well to play with but like the look of the 23mm. Love the weight and size of these things, so much quieter as well.

Haven't had so much fun with a camera in ages.

Had my X-T1 a week now and LOVE it. Got the 56mm a few days after and have already shifted my Nikon 85 1.4 and am selling a D3s. The X-T1 and 56 will now replace that for weddings, not quite ready to ditch the other D3s and 35 yet but if all goes well I want to be completely Fuji by the end of summer, I've got the X100s as well to play with but like the look of the 23mm. Love the weight and size of these things, so much quieter as well.

Haven't had so much fun with a camera in ages.

Mine arrived yesterday, and on first play I agree with you. Would be very interested to hear how you get on with it for weddings

I'll be using it next week, I'm that confident in it that I had no hesitation in selling the 85 which has been my favourite lens this past two years. ISO performance is a concern as I'm used to the D3s and I hate shooting with only one card slot but other than that it's a no brainer, the weight of lugging around two D3s bodies and primes was really starting to wear me down.

the weight of two DSLRs is a lot of my motivation for wanting to change. I hope to be about a month or so behind you. Theres a couple of things the Fuji can't do which will stop me changing completely. Those things are nothing to do with weddings and I am thinking Fuji is the way forward for any form of social events

I'll be using it next week, I'm that confident in it that I had no hesitation in selling the 85 which has been my favourite lens this past two years. ISO performance is a concern as I'm used to the D3s and I hate shooting with only one card slot but other than that it's a no brainer, the weight of lugging around two D3s bodies and primes was really starting to wear me down.

Thats what got to me,just couldn't lug it around anymore my Nikon kit :)

How are you finding the af of the xt1 compared to the d3s, especially in dimmer light with moving subjects? Thanks

How are you finding the af of the xt1 compared to the d3s, especially in dimmer light with moving subjects? Thanks

There's no comparison, but then I knew there wouldn't be. That's why the D3s is a sports photographer's weapon of choice. Moving subjects are hard, but the good thing is that it'll make me think a bit more about what I'm doing and shoot less, but hopefully more quality. But this is why I'm keeping the other D3s for the time being, until I'm happy with being able to shoot first dances etc without flash with the Fuji as I can now with the D3s.

There's no comparison, but then I knew there wouldn't be. That's why the D3s is a sports photographer's weapon of choice. Moving subjects are hard, but the good thing is that it'll make me think a bit more about what I'm doing and shoot less, but hopefully more quality. But this is why I'm keeping the other D3s for the time being, until I'm happy with being able to shoot first dances etc without flash with the Fuji as I can now with the D3s.

Pretty much why Im hesitant to replace my D700. Ive struggled to find anything that can come close after a lot of system changes in terms of AF performance. Think Ill stay a 2 system shooter for a while yet then, thanks.

Pretty much why Im hesitant to replace my D700. Ive struggled to find anything that can come close after a lot of system changes in terms of AF performance. Think Ill stay a 2 system shooter for a while yet then, thanks.

To be honest, if I still had my D700s I'd 100% go Fuji.

I'm still hanging on to my D700 kit but TBH, I'm not sure I've used it since getting the X-Pro1 and X-T1. I traded in the D800 against the X-Pro1 system when I first got into the Fuji scene and don't regret that move at all - I used the X-Pro for more shots in a fortnight than I'd used the D800 for in a year!

To be honest, if I still had my D700s I'd 100% go Fuji.

The xt1 would have to be massively improved in terms of af over pretty much every other csc ive tried (most) before id replace my d700.

The xt1 would have to be massively improved in terms of af over pretty much every other csc ive tried (most) before id replace my d700.

What does the D700 do that the X-T1 is lacking in? Just out of interest. I'm still nervous about switching so I'm always interested in other's opinions. But in terms of AF, having owned a D700 I don't see any major disadvantage with the Fuji.

Back