The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A technical question if I may.
The weather is set to be cold and clear for the next couple of days, so I'm thinking of going out tonight to try and get a decent 2 hour star trail.
I'll need to set the shooting mode to Continuous, but which one? What is the real term difference betwen CH and CL?
I'll be on manual focus, shooting JPEG. Iso 800 or so. 30 secs exposure in Manual mode.
So which of the two shooting modes is best?
What is the difference between the two? I heard that one was used to automatically refocus between shots, but can't remember which one, or even if that's correct.

Anyone know?

Could you not use the built in intervalometer on the XT1 to do the job instead?

:rolleyes:
We'll be back soon

The Fujifilm Shop is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. We hope to be back on the 15th of February 2016.

Been like that since Friday afternoon, so here's hoping today's the day! (Not holding my breath)... :D

Been like that since Friday afternoon, so here's hoping today's the day! (Not holding my breath)... :D

I highly doubt it. Its been like that for much longer than that, they just keep changing the dates. Think its time to give my money to someone else.

Could you not use the built in intervalometer on the XT1 to do the job instead?
Not sure. I kn ow you can't use it with bulb mode but I won't be in that. I'll have a play this morning.
Don't fancy a trip to Ribblehead not knowing how to set the camera up!

Just tried the intervalometer.
At first I was wary because the minimum interval between shots is set at 1second which I wasn't too happy with. I was concerned that there might be gaps in the trails. But in practice shooting was continuous.
Easy to set up and you don't need a locking remote; one press on the shutter button sets it going.
Definitely worth playing with today to get accustomed to.

Just tried the intervalometer.
At first I was wary because the minimum interval between shots is set at 1second which I wasn't too happy with. I was concerned that there might be gaps in the trails. But in practice shooting was continuous.
Easy to set up and you don't need a locking remote; one press on the shutter button sets it going.
Definitely worth playing with today to get accustomed to.

Will check it out soon!

:rolleyes:
We'll be back soon

The Fujifilm Shop is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance. We hope to be back on the 15th of February 2016.
Perhaps they're filling it with the new Xpro2 :)

The intervalometer can take up to 999 shots with a time range of 1 second to 24 hours. If it works then it will save you sitting there pressing a remote button hundreds of times times.
Anything to make life easier is good in my book.

Will check it out soon!
I was wrong. You don't even need to press the shutter button. Set the time when you want it to start and it does everything for you. You can set it to start at the present time or at some specified time in the future. Do the setting, press OK and it will start all by itself.
Seems almost too easy.

The intervalometer can take up to 999 shots with a time range of 1 second to 24 hours. If it works then it will save you sitting there pressing a remote button hundreds of times times.
Anything to make life easier is good in my book.
Continuous mode with a locking triger will do the same. But the intervalometer does seem to be one stage up. You set the number of shots you require and it stops when nthey are all taken.

Yes!! Will a fully charged battery last for 240 shots?

Should be ok, I usually get 300 give or take, but the cold could have a negative effect

One from my weekend down in Wales (Pwllheli). Should of cloned the sign out!
Fuji XT1 - Samyang 12mm - F2.0 - Iso 1600 - 30s exposure.

24911679782_b333e7da18_b_d.jpg

Excuse to treat yourself to a vertical grip for that extra battery :D

Hmm. We'll see how this goes first.

Think well have to come up to Edinburgh soon for a trip round. You can be our guide. Might even persuade Mr Perceptive to take a couple of days off work as well!!!

Hmm. We'll see how this goes first.

Think well have to come up to Edinburgh soon for a trip round. You can be our guide. Might even persuade Mr Perceptive to take a couple of days off work as well!!!

Happy to be your tour guide.
Fuji out in force :D

I've just had a reply to a bit of a snorter e-mail that I sent to Fuji re my cashback. This is what they say....

Thank you for your email.

We would like to sincerely apologise for the delay in payment.

I have once again contacted our accounts department.

They have confirmed that you will receive your £75.00 within the next 7 days.

Do I believe them? We shall see. No mention of working days, which just confirms my belief that "working days" is a red herring.

I've just had a reply to a bit of a snorter e-mail that I sent to Fuji re my cashback. This is what they say....

Thank you for your email.

We would like to sincerely apologise for the delay in payment.

I have once again contacted our accounts department.

They have confirmed that you will receive your £75.00 within the next 7 days.

Do I believe them? We shall see. No mention of working days, which just confirms my belief that "working days" is a red herring.

Wait and see I guess, my Sony cashback took bloody ages.

I've been commissioned to shoot a new lodge in a ski resort in France next week (hard life!), Fuji 10-24mm or Samyang 12mm? Massive difference in price but not sure if it's worth it for 2mm. I rarely have the need for a wide so don't own one currently.

Only two problems...
1) SWMBO doesn't know about it.
2) Mr Perceptive doesn't know about it.

SWMBO will need some warm and tender words. I'm in good books at present - I remembered to buy a Valentine's card!
As for Mr. Perceptive; I will be with him Friday & Saturday of this week. I just know he'll be interested - he'd better be!

I've been commissioned to shoot a new lodge in a ski resort in France next week (hard life!), Fuji 10-24mm or Samyang 12mm? Massive difference in price but not sure if it's worth it for 2mm. I rarely have the need for a wide so don't own one currently.

Not that it helps, but I've just received my Samyang 12mm and shall be using it over is Australia next week.

Dependant on how I get on with it dictates if I buy the 10-24 upon my return.

I must say that I'm bloody impressed with its build quality!

One from my weekend down in Wales (Pwllheli). Should of cloned the sign out!
Fuji XT1 - Samyang 12mm - F2.0 - Iso 1600 - 30s exposure.

24911679782_b333e7da18_b_d.jpg

Great shot. Can't wait to set mine up and see if I can capture anything decent..... Living in Fulham may be an issue!!!

Only two problems...

SWMBO will need some warm and tender words. I'm in good books at present - I remembered to buy a Valentine's card!
As for Mr. Perceptive; I will be with him Friday & Saturday of this week. I just know he'll be interested - he'd better be!

Understandable mate.....I myself will need to sweet talk SWMBO to allow me to go out for the day with you guys if you make it up

Hurdle #1 has been safely (and inexpensively - at present) overcome.

Mr. P is busy on site with customers today. Hopefully he'll pick this up tonight.

My cashback, early January, came 3 calendar weeks after they confirmed it, which was 2 days after I claimed it.

Mine was confirmed in late Jan and 14 working days is up. Assuming it will take a few more days...I'm not fussed, cashback is good whenever it comes!

Well I'm off up to Ribblehead go try for star trails using the intervalometer. Wish me luck.
It's going go be effing cold sat up there in the middle of nowhere for 2 hours. Driving so can't even have a dram to warm me up.
I'll be home about midnight and will no doubt need a nightcap.
Will the end product be worth it? Will I put it up for public comment? Is Elvis Presley still alive and running a chippy in Scarborough? Who knows!

Well I'm off up to Ribblehead go try for star trails using the intervalometer. Wish me luck.
It's going go be effing cold sat up there in the middle of nowhere for 2 hours. Driving so can't even have a dram to warm me up.
I'll be home about midnight and will no doubt need a nightcap.
Will the end product be worth it? Will I put it up for public comment? Is Elvis Presley still alive and running a chippy in Scarborough? Who knows!

You cant share this info then not declare to us masses your final efforts.
We promise not to laugh.......honest :D

Only two problems...

Hurdle #1 has been safely (and inexpensively - at present) overcome.

Mr. P is busy on site with customers today. Hopefully he'll pick this up tonight.

Well I'm back :wave: Actually I had a long weekend off work, on a non photographic outing to Windsor and London (but did sneak the X100 with me!!), got a busy week ahead, 3 days on client sites and then two days with Frank!!!!

Yes should be up for a trip north of the border, perversely I'd prefer some of it to be on a weekday, given enough notice I can usually work my customers around my photographic assignments!!! Later in April would probably suit me better.

David (aka Mr Perceptive)

Back