The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Just had a further look at train times. 30th April has no tube tickets included and each way is £41.20 so that's out.
14th April has only one return train that gets into Liverpool long after my connecting trains have stopped running for the night. Car parking is £15 per day and I'd be coming out on Sunday so £30 gets damned expensive.
Last two weekends I'm off to Barcelona.
If the 7th May is out then we need to look at either 16 April or into June.
9th April is the Liverpool meet.

Thoughts anyone?

Only date that is definitely out for me is June 4th, wife's birthday.

Worth checking sporting and event calendar to see if anything big is on that affects transport such as trooping the colour on June 11th, one of those pride marches too in June

Are weekdays definitely out, advance rail tickets are cheap if my forays up North are anything to go by. Fares in London are affordable with contactless cards, lots of places are walkable to anyway

I can do 16th April or 11th June. Doesn't sound like you need me though if there are other London-locals happy to take part. I'd love to do it but if the 7th May suits everyone else go for it. I might be able join in but I 'd have to drag my kids along as the wife is away. Still my 15 year old takes better pictures than me so he might be worth bringing anyway.

Only date that is definitely out for me is June 4th, wife's birthday.

Worth checking sporting and event calendar to see if anything big is on that affects transport such as trooping the colour on June 11th, one of those pride marches too in June

Are weekdays definitely out, advance rail tickets are cheap if my forays up North are anything to go by. Fares in London are affordable with contactless cards, lots of places are walkable to anyway

Weekdays are never popular for togging meets. Most folk have to work. Ian and David both do. Also there is the slight problem of transport. To get down anything before late morning midweek costs £156 with a return at £46. Way out of the game. Plus selected Saturdays we can get free tube travel.

I've just checked 16 April and no concessions there either. £41.20 down and return at 19.30 is £71. June and July don't seem to have the travel deals, presumably becuase that's tripper time. Does tripper time greatly affect the crowds in London?

I know this sounds very selfish from this end, but 7th May seems to be the only realistic option for us to travel down. We could always leave it till autumn. I was looking at this deal last autumn and there were lots of deals going.

I was only a latecomer to the party, so no problem and meet up with Ian seems the right thing to do

Tend to forget since taking early retirement that midweek isn't a choice for all although lots of people do have more flexible working hours these days.

London is always busy with tourists, but big events like Lord Mayors Show seem to have a knock on effect all over the place.

If you do come down I can recommend a trip on the cross Thames cable car and then a walk up to Greenwich observatory for fantastic views across the city

London 1.jpg

Last edited:
Weekdays are never popular for togging meets. Most folk have to work. Ian and David both do. Also there is the slight problem of transport. To get down anything before late morning midweek costs £156 with a return at £46. Way out of the game. Plus selected Saturdays we can get free tube travel.

I've just checked 16 April and no concessions there either. £41.20 down and return at 19.30 is £71. June and July don't seem to have the travel deals, presumably becuase that's tripper time. Does tripper time greatly affect the crowds in London?

I know this sounds very selfish from this end, but 7th May seems to be the only realistic option for us to travel down. We could always leave it till autumn. I was looking at this deal last autumn and there were lots of deals going.

I can't do May 7th as in the words of from Pulp Fiction, I'll be 'our Man in Amsterdam' then!!!

But don't let me stop the rest of you!!

Evening all.. new WANTED thread... I'm looking for the XF 18-135mm (failing that the XC50-230mm). Post in thread if yours is gathering dust!

Ian,

As I see it nearly everyone had dropped out for one reason or another. Weekdays don't make sense from a cost point of view.
The cheap Saturday trips from oop north seem to stop in mid May. For some strange reason train timetables vary from week to week at weekend. No idea why.
The only realistic date for a non too expensive trip from up here down to London is 7th May. That gives a full day in town for £40 Inc tube travel which I think is good value.

So. I'm used to being Billy no mates and have decided to come down on that day. I'll be getting tickets this week sometime. Our friend Duncan - WingSun - of this parish has said that he will try and meet up with me.

That's the present position. If you could help with itinerary that would be super. I'd like to see St Paul and the bridge. I understand Canary Wharf has a super underground station and the maybe the Dome and barrier but I don't know how far out they are. I'm open to help/suggestions.

Last edited:
Ian,

As I see it nearly everyone had dropped out for one reason or another. Weekdays don't make sense from a cost point of view.
The cheap Saturday trips from oop north seem to stop in mid May. For some strange reason train timetables vary from week to week at weekend. No idea why.
The only realistic date for a non too expensive trip from up here down to London is 7th May. That gives a full day in town for £40 Inc tube travel which I think is good value.

So. I'm used to being Billy no mates and have decided to come down on that day. I'll be getting tickets this week sometime. Our friend Duncan - WingSun - of this parish has said that he will try and meet up with me.

That's the present position. If you could help with itinerary that would be super. I'd like to see St Paul and the bridge. I understand Canary Wharf has a super underground station and the maybe the Dome and barrier but I don't know how far out they are. I'm open to help/suggestions.

Figuring out train travel prices is well beyond me so it makes sense to grab a bargain one. In am sure Duncan is on top of it but a stroll from Tower Bridge east via St Paul's to Westminster is easy and full of opportunities. If you want to get to Canary Wharf then either start there before catching the Docklands Light Railway to Tower Gateway for Tower Bridge, or go back to Canary Wharf on the Jubilee line once you are done with Westminster. Round Kings Cross is also good for pictures. It has been redeveloped recently plus you have the British Library and St Pancras station next door. Hope you have a good time. And you can always come back for a second attempt when hopefully I'll be free.

Out for a walk this afternoon, took the 100-400. The Robin shot is with the 1.4x TC wide open at f8 560mm 1/200 and again handheld. First shot is the full frame and the second a crop of the same:

Robin by JJ, on Flickr

Robin crop
by JJ, on Flickr

AF is pretty snappy as far as I am concerned. Blackbirds are pretty twitchy but grabbed this quickly with the smallest AF point size in single shot AF, same settings as the Robin shot except higher ISO:

Blackbird
by JJ, on Flickr

I tried to go for some BIF shots... Now I have an admission to make, I thought I had updated the body to the 4.3 firmware but it was still on 4.0, oops. The big takeaway for me though, is that the viewfinder "blackout" makes BIF a complete nightmare! I persevere with the blackout with motorsports and I'll be trying aircraft, but for BIF I really struggled. I freely admit to not being great at BIF in the first place though!

This was about my best effort, and it's not that sharp really but that's likely due to my failings more than anything else. I'll be updating the firmware and trying again for sure.

Gull
by JJ, on Flickr

Looks good to me. That IS really is good to be going handheld at 560mm. How do you find the TC? Does it effect the IQ much? Considering one for the 55-200.

Looks good to me. That IS really is good to be going handheld at 560mm. How do you find the TC? Does it effect the IQ much? Considering one for the 55-200.

The 1.4 TC will only work on the 100-400mm and 50-140mm only as far as i am aware

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used it much to e honest, but the TC looks to be pretty good optically. It is only supported by the 50-140 and 100-400 lenses at the moment. I haven't tried it on my 50-140 yet, but looking forward to see how it performs on that lens as well.

Out for a walk this afternoon, took the 100-400. The Robin shot is with the 1.4x TC wide open at f8 560mm 1/200 and again handheld. First shot is the full frame and the second a crop of the same:

Robin by JJ, on Flickr

Robin crop
by JJ, on Flickr

AF is pretty snappy as far as I am concerned. Blackbirds are pretty twitchy but grabbed this quickly with the smallest AF point size in single shot AF, same settings as the Robin shot except higher ISO:

Blackbird
by JJ, on Flickr

I tried to go for some BIF shots... Now I have an admission to make, I thought I had updated the body to the 4.3 firmware but it was still on 4.0, oops. The big takeaway for me though, is that the viewfinder "blackout" makes BIF a complete nightmare! I persevere with the blackout with motorsports and I'll be trying aircraft, but for BIF I really struggled. I freely admit to not being great at BIF in the first place though!

This was about my best effort, and it's not that sharp really but that's likely due to my failings more than anything else. I'll be updating the firmware and trying again for sure.

Gull
by JJ, on Flickr

Nicely done, looks a very usable combo to me! :)

Robin by JJ, on Flickr

Robin crop
by JJ, on Flickr

Blackbird
by JJ, on Flickr

Gull
by JJ, on Flickr

Oh dear... now I really want one. How much can you reasonably expect to get for a kidney? :D

The wife has a bag full in the fridge.
She was going to cook steak and kidney pie for some friends who came yesterday, but one them doesn't like kidneys so we had steak and mushroom pie instead.
Want to collect them?

Quick couple from a wintery walk yesterday. My missus is an unwilling model. I often only get scoweled at or assaulted if my camera ends up pointed at her.

Tried sticking to 35mm for the day to see if i'd like the prime. It was easier than I thought (I wasn't just doing portraits).

uploadfromtaptalk1458557589715.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1458557598060.jpg

The wife has a bag full in the fridge.
She was going to cook steak and kidney pie for some friends who came yesterday, but one them doesn't like kidneys so we had steak and mushroom pie instead.
Want to collect them?
About £1.50 from your local butcher. how many have you got? :D

Only got the one left now, sold the left one to fund the X-T1....... ;)

So, back from Australia where the X-T1 performed fantastically!

Took the 18-55 (such a great do-it-all lens), Samyang 12mm (didn't really use it that much), and purchased a brand new 35mm 1.4 whilst over there (£290).

So happy I went from the 6D to the X-T1, really puts the fun back into shooting.

The 18-55 was used 70%, 35mm 25%, 12mm 5%.

I think next time I'll take the 18-55, 35 and maybe buy a 23mm. I found the 35 very good but wanted something a little wider at times for everyday shooting (hence why the 18-55 was used so often).

How do you rate the 35mm vs the zoom? Obviously it's a touch faster, but has no IS. Is the size difference helpful?

How do you rate the 35mm vs the zoom? Obviously it's a touch faster, but has no IS. Is the size difference helpful?

It's definitely smaller and lighter than the 18-55, and does produce a sharper image for sure.

It's the 1.4 that really sets this lens apart. It does get a bit soft towards the edges, but the focal point is razor sharp and I'm so happy I went with the 1.4 over the 35 f/2.

I haven't had any problems with the lack of IS, and I only really shot handheld.

For a one trick pony, you really can't go wrong with the X-T1 and 35 f/1,4 combo.

Next on the list is either the 23 or 56...

Back