The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

BTW...are you going to Oulton Park on Saturday? I sort of fancy it. Starts early - 9AM!

No can't make it, as I'm meeting my son in Shrewsbury, will see you on Monday though for Manchester/Salford Quays (even the weather is looking good for that one)

I'm still playing with ACROS settings, it seems to be very scene specific in how the Highlight Tone, Shadow Tone, and Sharpness are applied, I took a picture into a wood the other day and was pleased with the ACROS result but then turned round and took a picture across the River Weaver and it was pants. I definitely get more consistent results with Silver Efex even using the same preset (one of my custom ones)

I am very impressed with the SOOC JPEGS st high ISO (12800) on the X-T2 both in Provia and in ACROS, as long as the scene has decent dynamic range, the results are good, abd would take me quite a time phaffing about in LR to get a similar picture.

No can't make it, as I'm meeting my son in Shrewsbury,
OK. Might go on my tod. At least I'll get a bacon butty this time.

I'm still playing with ACROS settings, it seems to be very scene specific in how the Highlight Tone, Shadow Tone, and Sharpness are applied
I found that I was always having to tweak the images. And as they are JPEG my room for manouvre was limited. It's a bit more work, but I found much more rewarding to use Silver Efex. If you can get a one size fits all bunch of settings for the Acros simulation I'll be happy to give them a try.

I found that I was always having to tweak the images. And as they are JPEG my room for manouvre was limited. It's a bit more work, but I found much more rewarding to use Silver Efex. If you can get a one size fits all bunch of settings for the Acros simulation I'll be happy to give them a try.
Yes, I find I can't get Acros to look like I want it using the LR preset.

BTW, I find the CC good value for money, even though my use of PS is limited. Besides, much as I liked ICE in the olden days, it doesn't work in Mac!

Another probably dumb question from me ... :D

Would this work with Fuji X cameras? I don't see how it's 'Nikon' specific?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3T2PXX210KPYE

I think that and a YN 560 IV would be all I really need in terms of artificial lighting. I have an old YN 560, the original non digital one. Was looking into ways I might fire this off-cam with the fuji [with Nikon I often used on-board CLS, or cheap triggers] and came across this. Looks cool, and good pricing too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3T2PXX210KPYE

I think that and a YN 560 IV would be all I really need in terms of artificial lighting. I have an old YN 560, the original non digital one. Was looking into ways I might fire this off-cam with the fuji [with Nikon I often used on-board CLS, or cheap triggers] and came across this. Looks cool, and good pricing too.
Don't know for sure but I'd imagine the software might be different, and/or the pins might be different?

Some people have problems getting the flashes to wake up with Nikon versions. The Canon version would be the best choice as I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

I've no idea about Nikon having come from a Canon background. I was told, but cannot remember who by, that Canon flash gear was compatible with Fuji albeit in manual mode only but that Nikon wouldn't work. Don't know the reason, but do know that my Canon based bits work perfectly...manual mode only.
Nikon users do seem to have problems, but then they seem to have problems with the whole Fuji system!

I've no idea about Nikon having come from a Canon background. I was told, but cannot remember who by, that Canon flash gear was compatible with Fuji albeit in manual mode only but that Nikon wouldn't work. Don't know the reason, but do know that my Canon based bits work perfectly...manual mode only.
Nikon users do seem to have problems, but then they seem to have problems with the whole Fuji system!
I'm a Nikon user :p

Well....does Nikon/Yongnuo for Nikon, flash gear work on the Fuji?
Dunno, just meant I'm a Nikon user and have no "problems with the whole Fuji system" ;)

Well....does Nikon/Yongnuo for Nikon, flash gear work on the Fuji?

Excellent. That makes a total of one:D

Like Snerkler, I'm a Nikon user but again like him, I'm not a flasher so can't tell anyone anything about what stops Nikon dedicated flashes working on Fujis. I suspect it's to do with the communication pins - maybe if all but the central one is insulated, the flash will work as a dumb one?

If anyone is interested in a Fuji XT1 plus 18-55mm lens then keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds as mine will be appearing there very soon!

As for questions re YN flash equipment on fooj bodies.....feel free to ask any questions.

My Nikon SB800 flash units work just fine in manual mode on my Fuji-X cameras (including an X-T2). Obviously no TTL or Auto Zoom but all other functions work perfectly.(y)

George.

Like Snerkler, I'm a Nikon user but again like him, I'm not a flasher so can't tell anyone anything about what stops Nikon dedicated flashes working on Fujis. I suspect it's to do with the communication pins - maybe if all but the central one is insulated, the flash will work as a dumb one?
Didn't say I didn't use flash, just not tried my Nikon speedlight on the Fuji ;)

Autumn bridge
by David Hallett, on Flickr

A small contribution on the "autumn colour" front. I know at this point I'm supposed to moan about the "bad" light, but to be honest I rather like cloudy days. They just suit a different kind of picture...

Last edited:
Brexit + £ weakness = lens prices have shot through the roof :(

And we haven't even started negotiations on leaving in what looks to be 2 to 3 years at the earliest !
We are still in the EU and there is know reason the £ should have dropped or be weak !
It's those money folk and some of our MPs with there scare mongering causing at lot of this.
The majority have spoken and it's now down to all government ministers to get behind what the citizens voted for it's why we pay them through our Tax's to get the best deal and to be actively positive in Britains future with the rest of the world.

If anyone is interested in a Fuji XT1 plus 18-55mm lens then keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds as mine will be appearing there very soon!

As for questions re YN flash equipment on fooj bodies.....feel free to ask any questions.

I have one... or two!

Currently use a Yongnuo RF-603N Trigger on my D750 which then will set off 1 or 2 SB900 units. I tend to shoot in manual mode on these only using TTL when flash is shoe mounted at home. Would that work on an XT2?

If not, what setup would I need to replicate that?

I have one... or two!

Currently use a Yongnuo RF-603N Trigger on my D750 which then will set off 1 or 2 SB900 units. I tend to shoot in manual mode on these only using TTL when flash is shoe mounted at home. Would that work on an XT2?

If not, what setup would I need to replicate that?
Because you are using it in manual mode the 603N becomes a dumb trigger (only needs the centre pin to send a signal to the other tranceivers and fire the flash(es) therefore the same should be the same on the XT2.
The centre pin on Nikon and Fuji cameras are virtually identical in their location on the hot shoe.

Any street photographers here?
Yes, a bit. It's kind of my side interest, something a bit different from my landscape pictures. Often for me it shades off into "cityscapes with people", but some of them are more traditional street pics, like this one. My latest thing is street after dark: manual everything, using old, fast lenses. Difficult (for me) but fun!

Late night smoke break
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Back