The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Not really any different to any other camera, just make sure to take a very small aperture shot to see the condition of the sensor. A long exposure if possible to check for hot pixels. Ideally get the card into a computer to check these images.
Other than that, make sure the side flaps seat correctly and don't bulge but that's really back to cosmetics.

Oh and then say to yourself "is it really worth paying extra for a graphite top that looks worse than the black?" :exit:

they had the silver one in the shop same price as the black one. Might as well if is same price.

Also Argos seems to sell the cheapest on the 35mm f2. They listed as £309. Other places same for £369.

No comparison shots from me, but it basically comes down to whether you want the convenience of a workhorse zoom that has better AF, or something a bit special (that has acceptable, but not fantastic AF).

I guess it depends on what other kit you're using to shoot weddings, but if you're covered for focal lengths anyway I would go with the 56mm 1.2 all day long. I'm shooting all my weddings next year with the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, with an 18-55 in the bag just incase something goes horribly wrong.

I have no experience with either lens, but that's about the same advice I'd offer. Really depends on your other gear. I'd only personally choose the 16-55 if I had nothing better within that range, you say you have the 35 F2? I would just get the kit lens 18-55 to cover wides, and save a bit extra to have the 56 1.2

No comparison shots from me, but it basically comes down to whether you want the convenience of a workhorse zoom that has better AF, or something a bit special (that has acceptable, but not fantastic AF).

I guess it depends on what other kit you're using to shoot weddings, but if you're covered for focal lengths anyway I would go with the 56mm 1.2 all day long. I'm shooting all my weddings next year with the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.2, with an 18-55 in the bag just incase something goes horribly wrong.

Thanks for that. I bought it for a family camera tbh so i don't have to lug my Sir around everywhere. I don't have an 85mm for weddings, and the canon one is far to slow.
I'm pushing towards the 56mm, but i just don't want to regret it and wished that i had that zoom range... Oh i don't know!!! I hate life

You're going to use the wider range for group shots mostly right? The Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 is plenty good enough for that, you'd surely use the 35 F2 for anything else in between 35-55. I've seen comparison reviews between the 16-55 and the 18-55 and there's very little in it bar that constant 2.8. I would definitely go that route and get the 56, i think you'll regret not doing that more so

You're going to use the wider range for group shots mostly right? The Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 is plenty good enough for that, you'd surely use the 35 F2 for anything else in between 35-55. I've seen comparison reviews between the 16-55 and the 18-55 and there's very little in it bar that constant 2.8. I would definitely go that route and get the 56, i think you'll regret not doing that more so
I think you're right. Im just a sucker when it comes to buying the better glass. Ive just read some reviews on the kit lens and checked out some comparisons and your right, there isnt much in it at all. I think I've made up my mind now. Thankyou :D

I think you're right. Im just a sucker when it comes to buying the better glass. Ive just read some reviews on the kit lens and checked out some comparisons and your right, there isnt much in it at all. I think I've made up my mind now. Thankyou :D

The Fuji 'kit lens' is vastly superior to most other brand's kit lenses. It's a solid little workhorse in it's own right. I've seen some wonderful images shot using it. Including wedding images.

That's a stunning camera. The thing about the Fuji is, it looks good and also makes you want to pick it up and shoot with it.

The Fuji 'kit lens' is vastly superior to most other brand's kit lenses. It's a solid little workhorse in it's own right. I've seen some wonderful images shot using it. Including wedding images.
TBH there's a number of "kit" lenses now that are excellent and really a kit lens should not be interpreted as an inferior lens anymore. I bought th Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 as a kit lens, the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 as a kit lens, you can buy the Nikon 24-120mm f4 as a kit lens, Fuji 18-55mm , Fuji 18-135mm etc etc.

TBH there's a number of "kit" lenses now that are excellent and really a kit lens should not be interpreted as an inferior lens anymore. I bought th Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 as a kit lens, the Sony 16-50mm f2.8 as a kit lens, you can buy the Nikon 24-120mm f4 as a kit lens, Fuji 18-55mm , Fuji 18-135mm etc etc.

I already pretty much said this here the other day. They're only called 'kit' lenses because they come bundled in ... kits. This one is still better than many of the others.

I see what you mean, but lots of Nikon user sell their 24-120 f4 kit lens lol.
As do Fuji 18-55mm owners, but it doesn't make them a bad lens ;) I had the Nikon 24-120mm f4 and 24-70mm f2.8 pro lens and in terms of sharpness I couldn't see a difference.

I bough the 24-120 f/4 as a separate lens, not as part of a kit. Lighter and more versatile than the 24-70 f/2.8 and far better than the old variable aperture 24-120. Got VR over the 24-70 as well.

That's a stunning camera. The thing about the Fuji is, it looks good and also makes you want to pick it up and shoot with it.

Looks even better in black on black! Funny how fashions change, with plated top and bottom plates being superseded by painted black ones ( which paint wears off to reveal the brass underneath [more often sanded off to give the illusion that the camera's been used by a pro...]) then crackle finish black then back to painted silver!

Love the detail and colours of the Fooj....

DSCF1332 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr
TBH there's not a lot of fine feather detail there, but it is at 3200 ISO so it's very good considering. Also, still a nice shot though.

Last edited:
TBH there's not a lot of fine feather detail there, but it is at 3200 ISO so it's very good considering. Also, still a nice shot though.
Have you seen the original on Flickr ?

Feather detail is there in the bit that's actually in focus. But 400mm that close up is never going to give much in the way of DOF.

2 xt1 for sale in classified mate [emoji106]

Do anyone use a portable mini tripods with there camera with a prime on as like a small one on outing than taking the big mongrotto out

Have you seen the original on Flickr ?

Feather detail is there in the bit that's actually in focus. But 400mm that close up is never going to give much in the way of DOF.
I have yep. I guess my definition of fine feather detail and yours is different ;) :p I'm not knocking the image though so apologies if you took it this way, it was complimentary to the detail at 3200 ISO (or so I thought). Really to get fine feather detail you have to have great light and low ISO.

Last edited:
Do anyone use a portable mini tripods with there camera with a prime on as like a small one on outing than taking the big mongrotto out
Heard u like a small one :LOL: Monfrotto do little tripods get one of them mate

Mean smaller so it sits on a wall or something

Lastly I forget to ask how low of a shutter speeds people been able to do hand held.

Mean smaller so it sits on a wall or something

Lastly I forget to ask how low of a shutter speeds people been able to do hand held.
Don't ask Nuzik this question :p

Still spec chasing ........

This really depends on the OIS on the lens, some better than others, and how steady you hands are, difficult to say, but with nerves of steel I have had decent results, but when I'm rushing, like a man desperate to get the shot, in the excitement I'd be lucky to get it in focus, let alone blurry

Also depends on focal length, the longer the focal length the harder it becomes - because it will be more sensitive to slight movement and cause motion blur.

Still spec chasing ........

This really depends on the OIS on the lens, some better than others, and how steady you hands are, difficult to say, but with nerves of steel I have had decent results, but when I'm rushing, like a man desperate to get the shot, in the excitement I'd be lucky to get it in focus, let alone blurry

Let say I have been able to shoot with the sony at 1 secs but that the slowest I go most of time just a bit faster.. SO what yours if you can help as I like to know how well the OIS are.. Mind you the primes dont have OIS

Let say I have been able to shoot with the sony at 1 secs but that the slowest I go most of time just a bit faster.. SO what yours if you can help as I like to know how well the OIS are.. Mind you the primes dont have OIS

Depends what lens on Sony... lots of variables tbh

Back