The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I was swaying toward the XT-10 as it can be put into full auto if the wife picks it up. The lack of aperture ring on the 27mm isn't ideal though. The 18-55 would be nice but i'm trying to keep the set-up as trim as possible.
It's actually pretty simple just adjusting aperture worth the command dial instead and you quickly get used to it.

I was swaying toward the XT-10 as it can be put into full auto if the wife picks it up. The lack of aperture ring on the 27mm isn't ideal though. The 18-55 would be nice but i'm trying to keep the set-up as trim as possible.

If you want aperture ring with a reasonable budget, 18mm f2 or 35mm f2 is a good option.

Well if decide you go with X-T10 my 6 month old one is coming up for sale in next few days.
I now have an X-T 20.

I have the 27mm and find it useful. Changing aperture with the wheel is pretty simple.

Here is a review of the lens from a well regarded independent site

http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/855-fuji27f28?start=1

Last edited:
lol dam you ;)

It's not that difficult or pricey to obtain. Managed to get mine for £15 off eBay. They surprisingly aren't that valuable, depending which release they can only be around the £25 in value. But it does have a certain je ne sais quoi

It's not that difficult or pricey to obtain. Managed to get mine for £15 off eBay. They surprisingly aren't that valuable, depending which release they can only be around the £25 in value. But it does have a certain je ne sais quoi
absolutely :)

Hi,
I'm new to your forum having been a Nikon man for many years. I use my cameras for landscape and wildlife photography, and I have a Nikon D750, D7000, a 20mm 1.8 prime,a 24-120mm f4 zoom,an 80-400AFS 4-5.6 zoom, and a 100mm AFS macro lens.
I'm getting older(much older!) and I would like to shed some weight by changing my setup to a compact interchangeable system. Can anybody give me advice on which of the X series to go for, and which of the lenses are proving to give to give the best results?
Thanks in advance

Lovely shot George, really captured the moment. Sadly it looks like she's counting the pennies.

Thank you kindly Sir, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

"Yes it does kinda look like that"

George.

Hi,
I'm new to your forum having been a Nikon man for many years. I use my cameras for landscape and wildlife photography, and I have a Nikon D750, D7000, a 20mm 1.8 prime,a 24-120mm f4 zoom,an 80-400AFS 4-5.6 zoom, and a 100mm AFS macro lens.
I'm getting older(much older!) and I would like to shed some weight by changing my setup to a compact interchangeable system. Can anybody give me advice on which of the X series to go for, and which of the lenses are proving to give to give the best results?
Thanks in advance

I think XT2 is a good choice but expensive, XT1 will probably do the job on the wildlife side. For landscape, all fuji is capable to do the job. Lens is very important, only choice you got is the Fuji 100-400 for wild life. Unless you want the 50-140mm and stack some TC (not sure how that will work).

Hi,
Thanks in advance

Hi Roger,

This is really fairly open, but personally, for wildlife I use an X-T2 with 100-400 plus the 1.4EX. I also have a 7D2 with 300f4 & 1.4EX, and a Sigma 150-600, none of which see the light of day anymore as they're just too heavy to use compared to the Fuji set up. For landscape I have both the 16mm f1.4 (amazing lens) and the 10-24. I sometimes go out with the little zoom on the X-T1 and the 16mm on the T2...

Hope that helps...

Great shot! What metering mode did you use?

Metering was a bit if a nightmare to be honest. At Abingdon they've now moved the crowd to the other side of the runway, so the sun is now behind the aircraft :( So I was swapping between mode a lot, and changing exposure comp on the fly. Moving AF off the shutter release helped so I could keep AF going and reset exposure as needed.

I used continuous low this time which helped with tracking aircraft. I was surprised to see the C-AF re-acquiring between each shot, even in AF-C mode 2.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks in advance

If your wildlife is moving a lot and quickly, I wouldn't recommend the Fuji 100-400. It's not the fastest focusing lens, it's okay but not lightning quick. It only gets slower with the 1.4x TC. I've never used the Nikon you have so don't know how it compares to that.

Last edited:
The Nikon is AFS lens which is fairly quick but you don't have much choice when shooting with Fuji. 100-400 is the only option i believe?

Just a simple candid street style shot taken at Canterbury of a guy with his Guitar doing a bit of street playing.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/160th @ F5, ISO-200, Handheld.
Muso (19)-03122 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

I think XT2 is a good choice but expensive, XT1 will probably do the job on the wildlife side. For landscape, all fuji is capable to do the job. Lens is very important, only choice you got is the Fuji 100-400 for wild life. Unless you want the 50-140mm and stack some TC (not sure how that will work).

Hi Roger,

This is really fairly open, but personally, for wildlife I use an X-T2 with 100-400 plus the 1.4EX. I also have a 7D2 with 300f4 & 1.4EX, and a Sigma 150-600, none of which see the light of day anymore as they're just too heavy to use compared to the Fuji set up. For landscape I have both the 16mm f1.4 (amazing lens) and the 10-24. I sometimes go out with the little zoom on the X-T1 and the 16mm on the T2...

Hope that helps...

If your wildlife is moving a lot and quickly, I wouldn't recommend the Fuji 100-400. It's not the fastest focusing lens, it's okay but not lightning quick. It only gets slower with the 1.4x TC. I've never used the Nikon you have so don't know how it compares to that.

The Nikon is AFS lens which is fairly quick but you don't have much choice when shooting with Fuji. 100-400 is the only option i believe?

Thanks guys for your replies. So many nice thing said about the fuji system. I now have to go through the process of selling my Nikon gear!.

Hi,
Thanks in advance
Hi Roger, welcome to the forum. I think you would be better off with the T2 over theT1 for wildlife. Some reviews say a few lenses perform better on the T2, but I don't know this first hand. This video shows some of the things the T2 has over the T1.

View: https://youtu.be/QEYy_gjGgWQ

Hi,
Thanks in advance

Pretty much this, although the Fuji teleconverters can't be stacked to give extra length. The 100-400 on the X-T2 with a 2x telecon gives plenty of reach but will make it an f/11 lens at the long end - but will still AF, albeit a bit slowly (but still faster than I can MF something that long, as well as being far more accurate!) IMO (and in my bag!) the 10-24, 18-135 and 100-400 (with 1.4 and 2x telecons) fill the lens slots, although mine are on a trio of bodies (mainly since I can't bear to part with any of them.) The 18-55 is marginally sharper up to 55mm than the 18-135 but beyond 55mm, it's useless... For ME, the weather Resistance and extra versatility outweigh the slight benefits that the shorter zoom give but YMMV. If the budget can stretch, the X-T2 is a significant upgrade from the X-T1 in terms of IQ as well as handling.

I have decided after much soul searching I am going to get rid of my remaining Canon Gear. This includes a 17-40L and a 24mm TS-E Mk2, the obvious Fuji replacement glass is the 10-24 f4.
I already have the 18-135 and the 27mm f2.8 can anyone suggest any alternative(s) to the 10-24 before I bite the bullet.
My main concern is keystoning but I can sort that out in PS, and I cannot find anything around the 10mm mark , and I do not want the Samyang 12mm

I have decided after much soul searching I am going to get rid of my remaining Canon Gear. This includes a 17-40L and a 24mm TS-E Mk2, the obvious Fuji replacement glass is the 10-24 f4.
I already have the 18-135 and the 27mm f2.8 can anyone suggest any alternative(s) to the 10-24 before I bite the bullet.
My main concern is keystoning but I can sort that out in PS, and I cannot find anything around the 10mm mark , and I do not want the Samyang 12mm
The 10-24mm is a stunning lens. There is the forthcoming 8-16mm, but price and size could well be even greater and tbh i quite like the long end of the 10-24mm as it makes it more versatile than just an UWA imo.

I have the 10-24 and it sits on my X-T1 almost like a walkabout lens it's that versatile. I also own the 16mm f1.4 and generally use this for most of my landscape work, unless I need something wider. For me, the 16 is fantastic, a wonderful optic, better than anything wide I ever had for my Canon. The 10-24 is a very useful lens though. My lens line up consists of the 16 & 35mm f1.4's, the 60mm f2.4, and the 100-400 with 1.4TC. My son has the 17-55 f2.8-4 on the X-T1 I bought for him. On my GAS list are the 50-140 f2.8 and maybe the 18-135, although one of the 56's may get in there first.

The only thing I can knock the 10-24 is that, despite having a "fixed" maximum aperture, the aperture ring does not have markings. Otherwise it's a top lens with good IS if you need it.

The only thing I can knock the 10-24 is that, despite having a "fixed" maximum aperture, the aperture ring does not have markings. Otherwise it's a top lens with good IS if you need it.

I agree, the 10-24 is an excellent lens and definitely worth buying.

Weather sealing would have been nice, but oh well it hasn't

Last edited:
Couple from me!!!

First with the 50-140 on the X-T2

i-ksMB9Tp-X2.jpg

Second my youngest being a poser with the 56mm f1.2 on the X-T2

i-Cgwhb2r-X2.jpg

X-E2S has the full auto mode too

Thanks nod,
Lens choice will be difficult,I think! However,I am taken with the xt2 and will probably be for me.

Thanks nod,
Lens choice will be difficult,I think! However,I am taken with the xt2 and will probably be for me.

IME the X-T2 is less noisy at higher ISOs than the X-T1 (which itself isn't the noisiest of APS-C sensors!) so an extra stop of ISO to compensate for the relative slowness of the 18-135 over the 18-55 solves that "problem". I'm not a fan of ultra shallow DoF and if I was, I'd be sticking with FF anyway - NO crop body can break the laws of Physics that determine that! Having cut my teeth on full manual (including metering and manual stopping down between the framing, setting and shooting...) and primes, I now welcome as much automation and flexibility as I can get. Footzoom is all very well but when there's a cliff behind you and the sea in front, a zoom makes compsition a bit easier possible.

Keep your eyes open on the Classified forum here and the usual 2nd hand dealers' sites as well as the Fuji refurb store - X-T2s do crop up occasionally and if you're in no great rush to make the change, the saving will be well worth it.

Happy shopping!!!;)

Back