The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

That is a great photo and great PP George. I would love to spend a few nights alone in this old building :)

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

"A stay in the place could have been arranged for you a few years back, usually a bit more than a few nights though"
:D

George.

The XT10 has the same sensor as the XT-1, so end results will be the same. It's more about ergonomics. The reason I haven't traded my XT-1 for the XT20 [though continuously pondering] is because the XT-1 with the battery grip just feels so good for me. I know I would miss that ISO dial a lot too. The logical upgrade would be an XT-2 with battery grip, but it's just well out of my budget for now. I know you can get grips for the XT20, but it's still going to be just a tad too small in hand for my liking I feel. Some people prefer a smaller body though, it' a personal preference.
Yes I like the layout of the dials on the X-T1 and have convinced myself now that it's the correct body to go for.
Lenses are another issue though, 18-55 f2.8-4 is a definite and maybe the 55-200 f3.5-4.8 so I've got some longer range options as well.
Watch this space, just getting funds together via the sales of my DSLR kit then Fuji here I come!

These shots look fantastic, in fact amazing.

Thanks :) I'm trying to get back into a bit of macro, spent some time today re-working an old cardboard softbox for the off cam flash. I found in the garage, one I made years ago. Didn't use it for these, but hoping to get better results with it

Yes I like the layout of the dials on the X-T1 and have convinced myself now that it's the correct body to go for.
Lenses are another issue though, 18-55 f2.8-4 is a definite and maybe the 55-200 f3.5-4.8 so I've got some longer range options as well.
Watch this space, just getting funds together via the sales of my DSLR kit then Fuji here I come!

I never actually used the 18-55, I prefer short primes, but I did have the 55-200 for a bit. It's an excellent lens, I was very impressed with the OIS. I could get sharp images at 1/15th sec, 1/8th even if I didn't drink a lot of coffee that day :D

A Raynox150 could do a good job, as used both my 150 and 250 on my Canon 55-250mm with some great results so might try the 150 on my 50-230mm.

Actually sold a raynox a while back. Used to stick it on my Nikon 85mm and had decent enough results. These macro rings I have aren't bad, you get all the info intact, and even AF - though I only ever shoot macro using manual focus. The best thing about rings is there is no glass element in them, so they don't affect image quality.

It's this set here I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014EV2HGU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are a bit fiddly, if I want to use both together I have to use the thicker one on the body, otherwise they flash the EVF on and off for whatever reason. And they can be a little tight on lens mounts, but after a bit of use they kind of loosen up and they go on no problem for me now. For the shots above I just use the 16mm one.

A pair of the official Fuji ones would be 6x the price.

Last edited:
A portrait of my son taken on an outing to Sewerby Hall on Sunday. Borderline snapshot tbh, but the little 35mm never fails to surprise me with how nice it is for this sort of shot.

A portrait at Sewerby Hall
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Converted to Classic Chrome and edited in LR.

thanks

Ian

That's a cracker! So film-like and a wonderful candid look. The 35/1.4 is soooo good as well.

The 35mm (my is f2) is nice lens to travel around with. Went to Mallorca last week and altho I had the 18mm f2 in the bag but I decided to stick with the 35mm and the quality is fantastic.

As I've only recently added a Fuji X-T2 to my arsenal (again), with a few zooms (18-55, 10-24 & 55-200), a couple of questions spring to mind when comparing Fuji's lens offerings to say Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc.

Firstly, it seems that to get anything longer than 200mm (300mm effective), you need to stump up well over a grand for a 100-400 zoom. Why no consumer grade say 70-300 equivalent (in the same class as the 50-200) ?

Also, it did seem a little strange to me when looking at the "pro" zooms, that Fuji seems to be the only one that doesn't offer a standard zoom (say 24-70 ish) F2.8 in a stabilized version (I'm right in thinking that the 16-55 F2.8 is the only one available ?) Is there a reason for that, or do Fuji not think it's needed for a 24-70 zoom range (but then the 10-24 has it) ?

To be fair, I do appreciate that the "X" system is a relatively young system, and Fuji must be applauded for having so many lenses so quickly, but these just seem like omissions ?

Just curious.

Curious that you don't think the 18-55mm is up to the job? Not sure anyone really finds the need for OIS on the 16-55mm as the inclusion would see the costs, size and weight rocket.

As I've only recently added a Fuji X-T2 to my arsenal (again), with a few zooms (18-55, 10-24 & 55-200), a couple of questions spring to mind when comparing Fuji's lens offerings to say Nikon, Canon, Olympus etc.

Firstly, it seems that to get anything longer than 200mm (300mm effective), you need to stump up well over a grand for a 100-400 zoom. Why no consumer grade say 70-300 equivalent (in the same class as the 50-200) ?

Also, it did seem a little strange to me when looking at the "pro" zooms, that Fuji seems to be the only one that doesn't offer a standard zoom (say 24-70 ish) F2.8 in a stabilized version (I'm right in thinking that the 16-55 F2.8 is the only one available ?) Is there a reason for that, or do Fuji not think it's needed for a 24-70 zoom range (but then the 10-24 has it) ?

To be fair, I do appreciate that the "X" system is a relatively young system, and Fuji must be applauded for having so many lenses so quickly, but these just seem like omissions ?

Just curious.

There are rumours abound that a future X-T model will have in body image stabilisation...

I always thought the 18-55 was more or less Fuji's version of the 24-70. Difficult to see why that is not up to the job.

Image quality ahead of fancy gadgets perhaps. The APO construction is foremost.

The 16-55 is a stunning lens. The build quality is way ahead of the Nikon f2.8, which is a good lens, but the build quality is not as good as Fuji.

Last edited:
Curious that you don't think the 18-55mm is up to the job? Not sure anyone really finds the need for OIS on the 16-55mm as the inclusion would see the costs, size and weight rocket.

Yes, I'd agree the 18-55 is very good, but I do miss the 24mm equivalent for a standard zoom, and have always had a zoom that goes that wide (Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic etc.) In any case, the 18-55 isn't a constant F2.8 zoom. Like I said, just a curious decision by Fuji when every other zoom they make has it ?

Putting the image stabilization aside for a moment, (and the 24mm equivalent), within the same zoom range, how much better is the 16-55 than the 18-55. Is the difference quite noticeable or do you have to really pixel peep to see the differences ?

Last edited:
Yes, I'd agree the 18-55 is very good, but I do miss the 24mm equivalent for a standard zoom, and have always had a zoom that goes that wide (Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic etc.) In any case, the 18-55 isn't a constant F2.8 zoom. Like I said, just a curious decision by Fuji when every other zoom they make has it ?
As above, cost/size/weight etc all a factor. Buy a monopod with the money saved? :)

Putting the image stabilization aside for a moment, (and the 24mm equivalent), within the same zoom range, how much better is the 16-55 than the 18-55. Is the difference quite noticeable or do you have to really pixel peep to see the differences ?

Only you can decide is it worth the hassle of get the 16mm range. You can always sell the 18-55 for the 16-50 (cheap version). 16-55 f2.8 is the only Fuji lens that fits your bill but is quite weighty but weight less then canon/nikon lens.

The reasons why a lot of people settle with the 18-55 OIS is because the quality is superb if you don't need 2.8 and you have OIS. I can;'t see for others but I would prefer to use the 18-55 over the 16-55 f2.8 simply because I want a camera and lens that is not heavy to travel around with. I'm perfectly happy to just shoot with prime lens these days.

Just curious.

Nikon didn't have their own 24-70 with stabilization until 2 years ago! And 24-70 lenses are designed for full frame. Fuji doesn't have one because they don't have a full frame camera, yet. Same with 70-300 lenses, they are actually designed for full frame, they just happen to work on crop sensor cameras also. Nikon's 55-200 was for the DX cameras.

I would love to see a nicely priced 70-300 OIS on Fuji too, don't get me wrong. But as they only do APSC cameras [besides the GX] they probably don't feel the need to match other brands.

I'd like to see Tamron and Sigma jump on board with Fuji too for some cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:

I found the 18-55mm sharper at the edges at wider apertures, whilst the 16-55mm was sharper in the middle, particularly so at the long end. I kept the 18-55mm (I'm used to having a 28mm equivalent at the wide end anyway).

Well I've done it now, just purchased a X-T10 with 35mm f1.4 package from Fuji refurb store. Such a good deal that I couldn't resist...honestly!!!
Now to decide what other lens(s) to add. Thinking about the 16-50 cheapy one as I'm not sure how much I'd use the zoom range and it won't be a big loss if I had to move it on should it not be for me. Or do I bite the bullet and go for a 10-24 as I like what I've seen regarding images taken with it.
I'm going to get a 50-230 as well just so I've got some reach and they seem pretty cheap so again, not a major issue to move on when the time comes.

Well I've done it now, just purchased a X-T10 with 35mm f1.4 package from Fuji refurb store. Such a good deal that I couldn't resist...honestly!!!
Now to decide what other lens(s) to add. Thinking about the 16-50 cheapy one as I'm not sure how much I'd use the zoom range and it won't be a big loss if I had to move it on should it not be for me. Or do I bite the bullet and go for a 10-24 as I like what I've seen regarding images taken with it.
I'm going to get a 50-230 as well just so I've got some reach and they seem pretty cheap so again, not a major issue to move on when the time comes.

90% of the time I'm using the 35 1.4 on the XT-1, covers most of my needs.

Oh, and make sure you update the firmware for both body and lens once you get them.

Last edited:

That's a result in my book Sir, "ENJOY"(y)

"A fine bit of kit and that 35mm f1.4 lens is superb. If your figurin' on going for the 10-24mm then I can certainly assure you of its excellent optical quality at all stops"

George.

Same for me as well except I use the 35mm f2 on my XT1. The 18mm sits on my XE2s if I take both bodies out. Small compact setup and no lens change require .......

If I'm shooting portrait, I put 55-200 on the XT1 and 56mm f1.2 on the XE2s.

Nice set of images Sir, particularly liking the last shot of the Rose, well composed with beautiful colours.(y)

"That new 24mp sensor sure can record some detail and in my honest opinion is up there with the best with regards to high ISO"

George.

Thank you George for the nice words, today it was on Auto. Tomorrow I will give Aperture mode a go :)

Same for me as well except I use the 35mm f2 on my XT1. The 18mm sits on my XE2s if I take both bodies out. Small compact setup and no lens change require .......

I mostly use manual focus primes besides, I have an xpro1 also, so I'll have one of my MF lenses on either that or the XT-1, and the 35 1.4 will almost always be on the other body. I did have the 55-200, great lens. The 56 1.2 is out of reach for me at present, but I do have a 58 F2, and a 135 f/3.5 I use for portraits. And the 35 1.4 itself, is a cracker for portraits also.

Oh, and make sure you update the firmware for both body and lens once you get them.
Thanks for the firmware advice, I'm hoping Fuji store may have done that but I'll check when they arrive.

That's a result in my book Sir, "ENJOY"(y)

"A fine bit of kit and that 35mm f1.4 lens is superb. If your figurin' on going for the 10-24mm then I can certainly assure you of its excellent optical quality at all stops"

George.
Thank you George. The offer of buying the 2 together was too good to miss.
I hadn't realised the price of the of the 10-24 until I looked around so that may have to wait a while.

Thanks for the firmware advice, I'm hoping Fuji store may have done that but I'll check when they arrive.

It's easy enough to do anyway, takes a minute. Once you get them, just attach the lens and hold the Disp/back button when you turn the cam on and it will display the firmwares you have.

Just a question folks, what is the 50mm f2 R WR XF lens like if anyone has or uses it ?

Looks a very nice lens, it's the third in the line of the F2s, after the 23 and 35. Much the same as those just longer reach. It would be an ideal portrait lens.

Last edited:

I am considering the 18mm and then just going for a long Zoom for the rest of the focal lengths. I do prefer primes so that could well be a plan for the wide end.

Back