The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I asked an a7r2 question about 5 months ago, still waiting for an answer, too busy either arguing or being fanboi's ............

I asked about the same camera in there recently, I got some good advice to be fair, bad timing when you asked perhaps?

I asked about the same camera in there recently, I got some good advice to be fair, bad timing when you asked perhaps?

I probably smell, I'm not bothered, I might ask again sometime, but at the moment I still very happy with my Fuji's though I'm about to start printing some images at A2, and that will certainly show anything up, I have some GFX images to print at that size as well, these will give a good guide if there is a reason to change.

I probably smell, I'm not bothered, I might ask again sometime, but at the moment I still very happy with my Fuji's though I'm about to start printing some images at A2, and that will certainly show anything up, I have some GFX images to print at that size as well, these will give a good guide if there is a reason to change.

This video shows that you can print micro four thirds images up to A2 no problem:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1oJdGxUkY

APSC will be even better, something like the A7rii will certainly have more detail and you can really push the files more, but it is possible to get decent quality prints from the smaller sensors.

[edit] the forum auto embeds youtube links to display the video it seems, sorted it now. As it's non Fuji specific

Last edited:
I have had that argument with myself several times already :LOL:

I pulled down a ruler in LR and it was straight, and the horizon bar on the camera was green, so I'm going to go with "yes, it is"....

Ha, good stuff, it's the rise in the hills in the distance made it seem off :)

Been there the Sony is a stunning camera IQ wise and you wouldn't be disappointed with the IQ. But for me the only time I really noticed the difference was if I pixel peeped.
`The extra DR was very nice espically for landscapes but personally I tend to blend a lot of my shots that need the extra DR so not a deal breaker for me.
In the end I just preferred the Fuji's for handling and it seemed all my favourite shots where taken with the Fuji.
This is what brought me back to Fuji, I looked through my old images recently and found some of my favorite ones were shot with my old XT1, thought it might inspire me again to give Fuji another go.

I have been around the loop and back again,loved image quality and eye A/F of the Sony and still cant replace my Canon big whites with Fuji glass but have just ordered an X-T3 again as just found my previous X-T2 was just so nice to use and went with me everywhere.
Colours and jpegs straight out of camera are superb and just loved using the camera full stop more than any other i have owned in all honesty.

....... just loved using the camera full stop more than any other i have owned in all honesty.

And that's what the Fuji is all about. I could have invested in FF (I still have an itch called "D850" that needs scratching), I could have kept all my Canon gear, but truth be told, it would hardly get used as I just enjoy using the Fuj... And that's what a hobby is all about, enjoyment.

The tree for me. The parting of the tree line and that single tree in the centre makes this shot. Well taken, Ian.
Two things stand out for me in this image, the stillness translated by the pond, and the tree at the other end of the water, standing tall behind the reeds. Great POV.....

Cheers. I've only this and the 16-55mm left, but this is easily my favourite just now.

Question though - do the shots look too dark to you? I mean, I wanted them to be to an extent to accentuate the light sections and let the shadows fall awa, but not overly so. Edited on a laptop and am wary of the accuracy compared to how others see it.

Thanks

Ian
Looks like you're enjoying that 50-140 Ian....

Thanks, yes it's a great lens. I hardly use my 16-55, I seem to default to the 23 1.4, 56 1.2 and 50-140 for work and pleasure.

How is the 23 f/1.4? I’m looking to sell my 18-55 and get either the 23mm or 35mm can’t decide!!

How is the 23 f/1.4?

The 23mm F 1.4 is a "Cracking" lens optically, amongst the sharpest X lenses that Fuji produce. A bit slower to auto focus than the F2 version and not WR but optically its the better of the two 23mm lenses. The 35mm F1.4 is the better of the two 35mm lenses for exactly the same reasons.

George.

Last edited:
How is the 23 f/1.4? I’m looking to sell my 18-55 and get either the 23mm or 35mm can’t decide!!

You need both, but get the 23 first.

As above, from George, and Trevor. I love my 23 1.4, it`s the most used lens I have.

As above, from George, and Trevor. I love my 23 1.4, it`s the most used lens I have.
Is there a noticable difference IQ wise, between the 23/1.4 and 23/2? I have the 23/2 but haven't tried the 1.4

Is there a noticable difference IQ wise, between the 23/1.4 and 23/2? I have the 23/2 but haven't tried the 1.4

I`ve not tried the f2, so unfortunately haven`t a clue ;)

Yes!!! I have both, well my wife has the F2, I have the f1.4 and two X100's (an original and an F), I'm a bit of a 23mm junkie..... Basically IQ wise you get what you pay for, if you want ultimate IQ (and F1.4) you get the F1.4, if WR is your priority you get the F2.

The 23mm F1.4 at F2 is as sharp as the X100F at any aperture!! the 23mm F2 is in between. The biggest difference isn't in the middle, it's towards the edges and corners, so if you are just after centre sharpness you might get away with the F2, but the F1.4 really is in a different league.

With regard to the Fuji primes (I've owned most many of them at some point*), IMO the 16mm, 90mm and 23mm F1.4 stand above the others.

(*Not owned 80mm macro, 200mm F2, 50mm F2 and 35mm F2)

Cheers. I've only this and the 16-55mm left, but this is easily my favourite just now.

Question though - do the shots look too dark to you? I mean, I wanted them to be to an extent to accentuate the light sections and let the shadows fall awa, but not overly so. Edited on a laptop and am wary of the accuracy compared to how others see it.

Thanks

Ian
I wouldn't say too dark overall, but I like a bit of mystery. The first one does shout "vignette!" at me a bit, but if you want it to be a stylistic device rather than a natural-looking fallout, then no problem.

Yes!!! I have both, well my wife has the F2, I have the f1.4 and two X100's (an original and an F), I'm a bit of a 23mm junkie..... Basically IQ wise you get what you pay for, if you want ultimate IQ (and F1.4) you get the F1.4, if WR is your priority you get the F2.

The 23mm F1.4 at F2 is as sharp as the X100F at any aperture!! the 23mm F2 is in between. The biggest difference isn't in the middle, it's towards the edges and corners, so if you are just after centre sharpness you might get away with the F2, but the F1.4 really is in a different league.

With regard to the Fuji primes (I've owned most many of them at some point*), IMO the 16mm, 90mm and 23mm F1.4 stand above the others.

(*Not owned 80mm macro, 200mm F2, 50mm F2 and 35mm F2)
Ok cheers! Looks like another lens purchase...
I have the 16/1.4 and 35/1.4 and they're both excellent...

another snap from Hampstead Heath:
Heathing by Ian, on Flickr
Love the composition but same comment as the other day about yellow saturation in the greens, unless you like it that way. A bit acid to my eye. Also wondering whether you meant to crush the blacks so much, but it's all personal prefs.

Love the composition but same comment as the other day about yellow saturation in the greens, unless you like it that way. A bit acid to my eye. Also wondering whether you meant to crush the blacks so much, but it's all personal prefs.

You are right again Dave. I played around with the greens in a later version of this and think they are better but still not right. Again, lots of processing as this wasn't a great day and this has pushed the blacks darker than I would like. This shot suffers from bad Fuji-foliage effects too so I have to revisit it.

Personally, I love the 35mm f1.4, although I would love to add the 23 to my collection. The 35 1.4 was the first prime I bought for Fuji and it goes everywhere, even when I'm out birding the 35 is in the bag. It works well with the tubes as well. Never tried the f2 as for me, the large aperture of the others is one of the bonuses you get with the Fuji set up. Just think, how much would a 23 or 35 f1.4 "L" cost you?

If I had my way I would have all 3 of the 1.4's (16, 23, 35) and the 90 f2. I recently let my 16 go, and although I'm enjoying it's 90mm replacement, it's not as versatile as that 16mm......

Back