The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

If you don’t mind me asking, are you guys working on a Mac/Mac Book or Windows. I’m getting close to getting a new personal unit (as I’m still on Windows 7) and obviously need to change pretty soon as support for W7 stops in January and my old laptop is not suitable to upgrade to W10. I’m still undecided If I should stick with Windows or change to an Apple unit as I already have an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone. I don’t actually use or have LR any more and very seldom use my copy of PS, having had good results with Affinity but I’m extremely interested in equipping my next unit with a really good RAW software as the Affinity part of RAW is ok but still a bit clunky and does not save your edits.

George.

I use an iMac just as personal preference. Im not especially computer literate and just find a Mac easier to use. I bought an off-the-shelf Mac two years ago to replace a 6 year old unit that was chugging a bit. Adobe CC is a bit sluggish for 15 minutes or so after loading, C1 loads the catalogue and then runs fine. Keep in mind I'm only using the free Fuji edition atm though. My iMac is only used for photo editing, nothing else.

Many thanks for that, I really don’t want this to turn into an Apple Vs Windows debate as I know there is a specific thread for this sort of thing.

I’m extremely interested to know what software for handling Fuji RAW files works better on, ie an Apple or Windows unit. As I said I’m quite happy using Affinity for my PP work apart from the fact that the RAW converter in that software is not as good as I would like. I also convert all my Fuji RAW files to DNG as it suits me better (don’t ask why) for one reason or another but affinity will not open them correctly on my iPad Pro. The developers of Affinity say for them to open correctly on an iPad the Fuji RAW files must be in their native format and uncompressed. I’m wondering if this is the same as they would be on a Mac/Mac Book. They all open correctly on my Windows unit. This is why I’m interested in knowing if software such as C1 will eliminate this problem on either platform ie Apple or Windows.

George.
I use both. Personally, I prefer Windows, however, both work similarly enough with respect to the software that it isn't greatly different. I use C1 for my fuji raw files and bridge/photoshop for my nikon raw files. Main reason I prefer windows is that things are standard with respect to placement of keyboard symbols and functionality. IMO, newer macs since the introduction of usb-c/thunderbolt 3 have been distinctly less reliable vs the 2011-2015 models. (part of my job is to support and maintain a mac based userbase) This is ignoring their frankly stupid idea of ridding all their laptops of sensible ports meaning you need dongles for absolutely everything, which somewhat negates the portability advantages.

I use an iMac just as personal preference. Im not especially computer literate and just find a Mac easier to use. I bought an off-the-shelf Mac two years ago to replace a 6 year old unit that was chugging a bit. Adobe CC is a bit sluggish for 15 minutes or so after loading, C1 loads the catalogue and then runs fine. Keep in mind I'm only using the free Fuji edition atm though. My iMac is only used for photo editing, nothing else.

Many thanks for that much appreciated.

I’m only in the market for a new unit because the W7 will not be supported from about mid January next. Everything works just fine on the old laptop that I’ve already got its just not suitable for upgrading and will not take things like C1 & On1 because the graphics card is not of the correct type and is not up to the job.

George.

I use both. Personally, I prefer Windows, however, both work similarly enough with respect to the software that it isn't greatly different. I use C1 for my fuji raw files and bridge/photoshop for my nikon raw files. Main reason I prefer windows is that things are standard with respect to placement of keyboard symbols and functionality. IMO, newer macs since the introduction of usb-c/thunderbolt 3 have been distinctly less reliable vs the 2011-2015 models. (part of my job is to support and maintain a mac based userbase) This is ignoring their frankly stupid idea of ridding all their laptops of sensible ports meaning you need dongles for absolutely everything, which somewhat negates the portability advantages.

Many thanks for that much appreciated & very interesting. I hadn’t thought about the laptop ports etc and as I’ll need my unit to be a laptop because of my business travels that’s certainly a point worth taking in consideration.

George.

I've been on a Mac for years, currently on a 2015 Macbook Pro and wouldn't go back to Windows unless I had to. I had an iMac before that, so I've been Mac about 10 years. That old iMac is still going strong in my sons music lab/studio.

im using a MacBook pro. its a 2012 model retina model which i bought used in 2015, i think. it hasn't missed a beat.

it gets used daily for work and photo editing. its probably used for about 10 hours a day on average. i have to say its probably the best bit of tech i bought in terms of how its performed for me. im nervous that it could pack up any day now, but it hasn't shown any signs that its about to.

Last edited:
First shot with the new X-T3....

Feather by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Found this feather in the garden, I can't work out what it's from, but the detail in the image is terrific. This is a 100% crop.

DSCF0014 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

With the T3 being a bit taller, my L bracket still fits, but you can't get access to the accessory door :( Not that I have ever needed to anyway.

Hopefully off out later to find something to shoot....

im using a MacBook pro. its a 2012 model retina model which i bought in 2015, i think. it hasn't missed a beat.

it gets used daily for work and photo editing. its probably used for about 10 hours a day on average. i have to say its probably the best bit of tech i bought in terms of how its performed for me. im nervous that it could pack up any day now, but it hasn't shown any signs that its about to.

I would have to endorse the above. Mine gets used all the time, we do have a large iPad as well but I've almost given up using that as an editing platform.

@G.K.Jnr.
Try iridient for raw conversation, mate (y)

@G.K.Jnr. I've been using the free version of Capture One and i'm stunned at the difference between it's RAW conversion and PS. Very impressed indeed.

Last edited:
@G.K.Jnr. I've ben using the free version of Capture One and i'm stunned at the difference between it's RAW conversion and PS. Very impressed indeed.

Many thanks for that, really appreciate you takin' the time to reply.

George.

fuji event on friday. i wonder if the x-pro 3 is likely to announced. so far im not impressed by the leaked design and omission of the d-pad..

What I've seen on it so far looks a joke. Who wants an LCD that can only be viewed when flipped down? No touch screen or D-Pad or IBIS either, can't see many xpro2 owners 'upgrading' to that

I see many are using C1 ... I couldn't get on with that program, I haven't seen any significant improvement on files processed using that over how I process in LR either. Maybe, just maybe there's less loss of detail and less mushiness in far off foliage in landscapes but honestly, I prefer the look I can achieve with less hassle in LR for just about everything else - and I don't do landscapes.

Last edited:
Just a simple landscape type Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

X-H1, 60mm F2.4 Lens, 1/680th @ F8, ISO-200, Tripod.
Things Left Behind (26) (Dungeness)-03283 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):fuji:

George.

Great subject, great mono. Nice one.

Many thanks for that much appreciated.

I’m only in the market for a new unit because the W7 will not be supported from about mid January next. Everything works just fine on the old laptop that I’ve already got its just not suitable for upgrading and will not take things like C1 & On1 because the graphics card is not of the correct type and is not up to the job.

George.
I downloaded windows 10 on my existing PC and it runs fine. I also use C1 Pro (switched from Lightroom) and it runs smoothly without any problems. As mentioned above, C1 downloads the whole catalogue before you start editing which I find handy

What's everyone's view on worthy upgrade for X-E2? I've been out of the loop on cameras for a while. Lately, I've only been using the X-E2 + 18+55mm combo to photo my 1.5yr old son, who is starting to move too fast for sharp focus.

I have X100 classic, which I'll never get rid of, love the camera. For interchangeable lens, I have 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm and original 60mm macro.

If I change camera, will my existing zoom lenses(specifically the 18-55mm f2.8-4) keep up? How does latest Fujifilm camera do with regard to erratic tracking? Which new camera has good AF tracking + pop-up bounce-able flash like X-E2 + EVF?

Alternatively, Is there a weather resistant camera + lens combo that will do better AF tracking than a new camera + my existing 18-55 combo? EVF and flash are still desirable.

What's everyone's view on worthy upgrade for X-E2? I've been out of the loop on cameras for a while. Lately, I've only been using the X-E2 + 18+55mm combo to photo my 1.5yr old son, who is starting to move too fast for sharp focus.

I have X100 classic, which I'll never get rid of, love the camera. For interchangeable lens, I have 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm and original 60mm macro.

If I change camera, will my existing zoom lenses(specifically the 18-55mm f2.8-4) keep up? How does latest Fujifilm camera do with regard to erratic tracking? Which new camera has good AF tracking + pop-up bounce-able flash like X-E2 + EVF?

Alternatively, Is there a weather resistant camera + lens combo that will do better AF tracking than a new camera + my existing 18-55 combo? EVF and flash are still desirable.

I followed my XE2 with an XT 30 It works brilliantly with my 18-55 He the continuous focus tracking is very good indeed . It can hold things as they move across the screen or hold on to them as you pan. For best results you want to engage performance boost mode, which is of course heavier on the battery... But hey ho it works.
you can adjust various settings In tracking mode so a little testing is in order, to suit what you are shooting.

Just a simple landscape type Fujigraph taken at Dungeness Kent UK of an old winch mechanism that was used for hauling the boats or catch up the beach and an old fisherman's hut. These are just two of the many things scattered about the beach that have just been left behind. I've deliberately gone for a higher contrast gritty look for this snap to emphasize the rust & decay etc.
I'm also working on a personal project called Things Left Behind and this will be one of the shots included.

George.
Stunning shot, no more to be said :)

Well, the XH-1 has arrived, I had a quick play indoors last night while trying to hide if from the wife :) I think I now have the settings as I want, and am going to be able to try some shooting this weekend. First impressions are, I like the feel of it, but it does feel huge compared to the XT-3, not a criticism, just an observation. The shutter is taking a bit to get used to, but I will. It looks and feels more robust than the XT-3 though time will tell how I get on with it when shooting. I tried some shots with the 56 1.2 and the IBIS is certainly working well. I'm please I bought it, and will certainly be using this as well as the XT-3 a lot. I am also going to try some video shooting, which is something I have always steered away from, and used GoPro in the past.

Watch this space for evidence of cack-handed efforts at pictures!

Last edited:

George.
Great tones George

Well, the XH-1 has arrived, I had a quick play indoors last night while trying to hide if from the wife :) I think I now have the settings as I want, and am going to be able to try some shooting this weekend. First impressions are, I like the feel of it, but it does feel huge compared to the XT-3, not a criticism, just an observation. The shutter is taking a bit to get used to, but I will. It looks and feels more robust than the XT-3 though time will tell how I get on with it when shooting. I tried some shots with the 56 1.2 and the IBIS is certainly working well. I'm please I bought it, and will certainly be using this as well as the XT-3 a lot. I am also going to try some video shooting, which is something I have always steered away from, and used GoPro in the past.

Watch this space for evidence of cack-handed efforts at pictures!

That’s a positive “Result” in my book, “ENJOY”.

George.

Thanks Rick, do you think it works well in B&W ? First version was colour but I prefer this personally.
I think the B&W treatment suits it perfectly.

I read somewhere that earlier versions of the 60mm f2.4 macro lens had an issue - flare I think. Can anyone confirm this and tell me how to distinguish those lenses in which the problem is fixed?
thanks very much.

Back