The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

When I got home I tried the same settings on my XH1 and it worked perfectly. I did some more research and it seems the 3.0 firmware update initiated this problem, and 3.01 hasn’t fixed it or mentioned the issue.

Can confirm that the XH1 will AF just fine even at F16, just tried it using the 16 1.4 - a lens not really suitable for AF video as it's noisey and not the fastest AF either. But working just fine during a quick test in the garden on a sunny evening

Can confirm that the XH1 will AF just fine even at F16, just tried it using the 16 1.4 - a lens not really suitable for AF video as it's noisey and not the fastest AF either. But working just fine during a quick test in the garden on a sunny evening
Yep, it worked at F22 on mine, it's definitely an XT3 issue.

Yep, it worked at F22 on mine, it's definitely an XT3 issue.

Strange, they should fix it in a FW update really. I knew when you posted earlier that it wasn't an aperture thing as I've recorded video a few times on the H1 stopped down beyond F9 and no issues. Just had to confirm it for myself here this eve, and like I say at F16 [the most the 16mm will stop down to] I had no problem

Last edited:
Strange, they should fix it in a FW update really. I knew when you posted earlier that it wasn't an aperture thing as I've recorded video a few times on the H1 stopped down beyond F9 and no issues. Just had to confirm it for myself here this eve, and like I say at F16 [the most the 16mm will stop down to] I had no problem

This shows the issue, not my video BTW.

View: https://youtu.be/f9Y39Ez0YUA

LOL, I like that he found a place with Fujifilm signs :D That is pretty terrible alright, unusable AF. I guess you'll have to go the ND route until they fix it. Better that way anyhow, if I shot video often enough I'd use ND filters so I could shoot at wider apertures
Yep, ND will arrive tomorrow, but I'd still like it fixed. I also have the XH1 option, having played with that today I can see why some prefer it to the XT3. I'm not sure yet, but there certainly isn't much in it :)

Yep, ND will arrive tomorrow, but I'd still like it fixed. I also have the XH1 option, having played with that today I can see why some prefer it to the XT3. I'm not sure yet, but there certainly isn't much in it :)

The H1 was the only reason I returned to Fuji, for me IBIS and a decent grip have become essentials. I'm sure the T3 is better in some ways, but not in any way that I 'need'. If it had IBIS I would have chosen it, I'd be willing to give a little on the ergos, and would probably end up adding the grip. It'll be interesting to see what they do next, will we see an X-T4? or X-H2? I'm doubting we'd see both anytime soon

The H1 was the only reason I returned to Fuji, for me IBIS and a decent grip have become essentials. I'm sure the T3 is better in some ways, but not in any way that I 'need'. If it had IBIS I would have chosen it, I'd be willing to give a little on the ergos, and would probably end up adding the grip. It'll be interesting to see what they do next, will we see an X-T4? or X-H2? I'm doubting we'd see both anytime soon
Having now tried both, an X-H2 with the improved AF and sensor of the X-T3 would be the sweet spot. I love the ergonomics of the X-H1 now, I have grips on both cameras, somehow the X-H1 just 'feels' nicer. The X-T3 face detection and AF is marginally better, though it's still early days in my testing. I feel lucky to have both :)

Having now tried both, an X-H2 with the improved AF and sensor of the X-T3 would be the sweet spot. I love the ergonomics of the X-H1 now, I have grips on both cameras, somehow the X-H1 just 'feels' nicer. The X-T3 face detection and AF is marginally better, though it's still early days in my testing. I feel lucky to have both :)

I loved the X-T1 when I owned it but I did much prefer it with the battery grip attached. After using a G80 for a while in between I realised it's more a default grip I prefer over an add-on. When I came back to Fuji with the X-H1 I didn't even consider the battery grip, no need, just pack an extra battery or two and you're sorted. The default X-H1 body is about perfect, it's probably the most comfortably ML camera out there. An X-H2 for me would have to be similar build [but move that stupid Q button!] with a better evf/LCD, much better touch screen, maybe higher res - 30mp would be just fine, AF and ISO improvements and I'd take a bump in IBIS too. Give me all of that and I'd be happy to upgrade.

Not as well as an X-T2 + 55-200, if you can up the budget a little you'll have a much better solution.

My preference would be X-T2 +55-200 (probably around £200-250 more than you existing pairing), then as a lower price option I would go X-T2 + 50-230 (similar money), the 50-230 isn't as fast as the 55-200, doesn't let in quite as much light, but has good IQ, and a little bit more reach, its also very light so makes the whole assembly more wieldy!! You can then always upgrade to 55-200 when funds permit.
Unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a xt2. Although having a look am I right in thinking the xe2/s will focus as fast as the xt1 using the same sensor and processor?

Unfortunately my budget won't stretch to a xt2. Although having a look am I right in thinking the xe2/s will focus as fast as the xt1 using the same sensor and processor?

Matt, Are you looking at X-T1 + XC50-230 or X-T1 + XF55-200 ??

A mk1 XC50-230 lens can be had for just over £100 if you hunt hard enough, plenty sold on here in the past for that money.

In theory the latest firmware in X-E2/X-E2S gives the performance of an X-T1, however the X-T1 has a big advantage in the fact that the EVF is much bigger and brighter.

Last edited:
Matt, Are you looking at X-T1 + XC50-230 or X-T1 + XF55-200 ??

A mk1 XC50-230 lens can be had for just over £100 if you hunt hard enough, plenty sold on here in the past for that money.

In theory the latest firmware in X-E2/X-E2S gives the p[erformance of an X-T1, however the X-t1 has a big advantage in the fact that the EVF is much bigger and brighter.
I was looking at the 55-200. We can get quite close to the track if we are racing. How is the focus speed of the 50-230?

I'm trying to decide which to choose; a X-T1 (which I've owned), or a X-T2 when the time comes...?

Peter

Loved the colours from my X-T1
Loved the handling and Acros on the X-T2
The focus joystick on the T2 makes it a much better camera ergonomically for me
Acros film sim is a big attraction.
Can’t go wrong with either if you’re a deliberate kind of shooter.

X-H1....

I really love Autumn colours, nice job :)

Thanks, mate :)
It was a lovely morning ... I went out early hoping for some ground mist, but nada. Hey ho ;)

Thanks, mate :)
It was a lovely morning ... I went out early hoping for some ground mist, but nada. Hey ho ;)

Many a morning I headed out down by the river hoping to capture something interesting, like some wildlife or a nice sceneic - like you were after, with morning mist and some nice colour. But oft came home frustrated, but I would always grab a few macro or close up images so's not to waste the journey. Sometimes they turn out to be better than than mere fillers. In fact over time I began to head out with close ups or macro specifically in mind - and if I got anything else it was a bonus :) My photography kind of changed because of those bad days, funny how it pans out

Many a morning I headed out down by the river hoping to capture something interesting, like some wildlife or a nice sceneic - like you were after, with morning mist and some nice colour. But oft came home frustrated, but I would always grab a few macro or close up images so's not to waste the journey. Sometimes they turn out to be better than than mere fillers. In fact over time I began to head out with close ups or macro specifically in mind - and if I got anything else it was a bonus :) My photography kind of changed because of those bad days, funny how it pans out

That`s a thought, mate. I should go out with macro in mind and see what comes about. Mushroom season too :)

That`s a thought, mate. I should go out with macro in mind and see what comes about. Mushroom season too :)

I think Autumn is my favorite season for photography, you'll get some nice macro if you look for it and nice scenics too when the leaves are turning - and mushrooms, yes! :)

A few from one of those walks 2 years back with the X-T1 and 35 1.4 [first one using a raynox macro attachment, the shrooms were tiny]

Microshrooms by K G, on Flickr

Acorn by K G, on Flickr

Hang on by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think Autumn is my favorite season for photography, you'll get some nice macro if you look for it and nice scenics too when the leaves are turning - and mushrooms, yes! :)

A few from one of those walks 2 years back with the X-T1 and 35 1.4 [first one using a raynoc macro attachment, the shrooms were tiny]

Microshrooms by K G, on Flickr

Acorn by K G, on Flickr

Hang on by K G, on Flickr

Lovely images, mate. I`m looking forward to it. Got some ok ish weather tomorrow morning, so will probably pop out with the 80mm and see what I can see.

Lovely images, mate. I`m looking forward to it. Got some ok ish weather tomorrow morning, so will probably pop out with the 80mm and see what I can see.

I'm kind of envious of that 80mm! Looks a great lens, maybe in the new year I'll treat myself. For now I'm on the lookout for a cheap MF macro lens that'll do the job for a while

I'm kind of envious of that 80mm! Looks a great lens, maybe in the new year I'll treat myself. For now I'm on the lookout for a cheap MF macro lens that'll do the job for a while

It is a great bit of glass, but silly money. I only managed when I shifted all my nikon kit, and budgeted for what I could get with the money. I`ve always had a macro of some sort, from nikon, to two sigmas (the old 150 was really nice, and probably pretty cheap to buy now). So in a way, I had to have this beastie :)

Loved the colours from my X-T1
Loved the handling and Acros on the X-T2
The focus joystick on the T2 makes it a much better camera ergonomically for me
Acros film sim is a big attraction.
Can’t go wrong with either if you’re a deliberate kind of shooter.

X-H1....
Thanks Trevor.

I'll probably try the X-T1 body as I enjoyed the output from it...!!

Peter

It is a great bit of glass, but silly money. I only managed when I shifted all my nikon kit, and budgeted for what I could get with the money. I`ve always had a macro of some sort, from nikon, to two sigmas (the old 150 was really nice, and probably pretty cheap to buy now). So in a way, I had to have this beastie :)

I've been through a few macro lenses myself, had the Nikon 60mm 2.8 D, and upgraded to the 105mm VR and traded that for the Sigma 150 OS. I still had it when I first switched to Fuji, here it is adapted to the X-T1
siggy150xt1.jpg

:D

The OS had failed on it for whatever reason, so when I sold all my Nikon gear this was the last to go, ended up selling it as a non -OS lens and lost a lot of money on it, but that's ok because I think every other lens I've owned I sold on for profit ;)

I've been through a few macro lenses myself, had the Nikon 60mm 2.8 D, and upgraded to the 105mm VR and traded that for the Sigma 150 OS. I still had it when I first switched to Fuji, here it is adapted to the X-T1
View attachment 255756

:D

The OS had failed on it for whatever reason, so when I sold all my Nikon gear this was the last to go, ended up selling it as a non -OS lens and lost a lot of money on it, but that's ok because I think every other lens I've owned I sold on for profit ;)

S**t happens mate, but at least you made on the others. The 80mm is quite a lump though on a T2, but nowhere near as bad on a D810 ;)

S**t happens mate, but at least you made on the others. The 80mm is quite a lump though on a T2, but nowhere near as bad on a D810 ;)

It was the D800E I originally used the 150mm on, and it was a nice balance, used it as much as a landscape lens as for macro. On the X-T1 it was obviously not so greatly balanced, but MF was decent and it wasn't bad to use, but offed it as I was trying to weight save at the time

Last edited:
Not sure which of these will survive on Flickr, but tells a little story - saved a Tortoiseshell butterfly from a web on the shed door earlier today and recorded the mission - [Note I already had the camera in hand and only took quick shots, didn't mess about as wanted to save the creature - so they're certainly not perfectly focused]

X-H1 and 16 1.4 for all here btw

Hard to tell from this but it was frozen/stuck on strands of web, I thought it was dead as I actually touched it and it didn't budge, was stiff
DSCF3759 by K G, on Flickr

Used one of the kid's plastic shuttlecocks to lift it away from the web and took it outside
DSCF3761 by K G, on Flickr

Once I laid it down on the ground it managed to spread out it's wings and after allowing me to take a few more pics it flew off unharmed
DSCF3765 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back