The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi folks - I currently have a D800 and a couple of fast primes. I quite like the look of an X-T3 (mainly size and interested in trying out a smaller form factor, mirrorless etc.). I have not been following developments in camera tech for quite a few years, so basically have no idea what's happened, although I know that the X-T3 is one of the newer and higher end Fuji's.

Could anyone recommend some quality fast primes to pair with one please? I'm afraid I have no idea which of the current Fuji lenses might not be compatible, and wouldn't want to base a decision on something that is ultimately not suitable for the X-T3.

In a previous life I had one of the holy trinity's of Canon primes: 35, 50 and 85 (all f/1.2) - what would be the closes equivalent nowadays in Fuji speak?

Cheers!

Hi folks - I currently have a D800 and a couple of fast primes. I quite like the look of an X-T3 (mainly size and interested in trying out a smaller form factor, mirrorless etc.). I have not been following developments in camera tech for quite a few years, so basically have no idea what's happened, although I know that the X-T3 is one of the newer and higher end Fuji's.

Could anyone recommend some quality fast primes to pair with one please? I'm afraid I have no idea which of the current Fuji lenses might not be compatible, and wouldn't want to base a decision on something that is ultimately not suitable for the X-T3.

In a previous life I had one of the holy trinity's of Canon primes: 35, 50 and 85 (all f/1.2) - what would be the closes equivalent nowadays in Fuji speak?

Cheers!
16 1.4 - 23 1.4 or 2, 35 1.4 or 2, 56 1.2, should get you going nicely :)

Cheers! Looking at Fuji website - what does the R and APD mean?
The APD is some sort of coating I believe, supposed to give better bokeh in portraits, I have the R version of the 56 and love it. Plenty of info in the usual review places.

Got my bargain 90mm from the Fuji refurb shop today, weather was lousy so haven’t used it in anger yet. I’ve got a few questions..when I took it out of the box I heard a clunk from inside the lens, when I tilted it the other way it did it again, almost like something sliding from end to end. Is this normal? It doesn’t do it on the camera body. But it doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Any tips on getting the best out of this on my T3( that’s if it’s a keeper)

Got my bargain 90mm from the Fuji refurb shop today, weather was lousy so haven’t used it in anger yet. I’ve got a few questions..when I took it out of the box I heard a clunk from inside the lens, when I tilted it the other way it did it again, almost like something sliding from end to end. Is this normal? It doesn’t do it on the camera body. But it doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Any tips on getting the best out of this on my T3( that’s if it’s a keeper)

The clunk is normal, as when not on camera and switched on the magnets in the lens move. Switch the camera on and they lock solid. Always shoot wide open @f2.

I’d agree about the Fuji glass and 3D pop, for that you really need to be considering Medium Format. You can get some 3D pop but the subject definitely needs to be at a certain working distance from the camera, further away and it doesn’t happen. The Fuji glass on the whole is very sharp with little distortion, and some of the lenses add a bit of character and some have different colour renditions.

If you do go down the X-T3 route, don’t rule out the Zeiss 32mm F1.8, lovely colour rendition, well built and nice to operate. But obviously F1.8 isn’t as wide open as you are used to.

I’m sure you will work it out, buy the X100V and force yourself to only take it out if the house, and see if that changes your photography, after I got the X100 it was the only camera I took out the house for a year (excepting a school prom which I shot)
TBH I don't need to go medium format for the 3D that I 'require', not even f1.4. If I can get this level of 3D/depth/pop then I'm happy. It's not necessarily how much the background is blurred, but the isolation. I like that very slight miniature (to my eyes) look. It's why I'm a fan of the Brenizer technique (although never actually done it ;))

50mm f1.8

NZ7_1291
by TDG-77, on Flickr

85mm f1.8

NZ7_0681-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

TBH I don't need to go medium format for the 3D that I 'require', not even f1.4. If I can get this level of 3D/depth/pop then I'm happy. It's not necessarily how much the background is blurred, but the isolation. I like that very slight miniature (to my eyes) look. It's why I'm a fan of the Brenizer technique (although never actually done it ;))

50mm f1.8

NZ7_1291
by TDG-77, on Flickr

85mm f1.8

NZ7_0681-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nice... The XF90mm will make your images pop.

50mm f1.8

NZ7_1291
by TDG-77, on Flickr

85mm f1.8

NZ7_0681-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

That 50 is great. I don't see pop from long fl, I see the compression / separation but wider lenses IMO pop more, up to about 50mm.

Cheers!
Fuji have the best looking bodies imo, which obviously isn't very important unless you're like me at the moment and the camera is merely an ornament :LOL:

The Fuji X-T3 is a great body, very well built and of course it's nice to have the old school analogue dials. Just be aware that the grip isn't very deep and if you're used to the D800 I'd strongly recommend a hand grip (Fuji's own is the MHG-XT3 but there are many out there).

As for primes then nothing is going to match the f1.2 on FF in terms of shallow DOF and subject isolation. The closest you're going to get is the 23mm f1.4 (kind of equivalent to 35mm f2 on FF in terms of rendering), 35mm f1.4 (similar to 50mm f2 on FF) and 56mm f1.2 (similar to 85mm f1.8 on FF). Neither lenses or body have any image stabilisation, but then neither does the D800 or Nikon AF-S primes.

The X-T3 will be noticeably lighter than the D800, even with a grip on. How light the lenses will feel will depend on what primes you're used to.

Lol naaa it’s my original X100 box, mine was serial no. N xxxxx 0391, so one of the first to land in the UK, managed to bag it for £949. :D
Do you still have the X100 then?

Fuji will be releasing the Fujinon 50mm f1.0 this year so that’ll be a pretty good shout at getting FF levels of shallow depth of field etc :)

Fuji will be releasing the Fujinon 50mm f1.0 this year so that’ll be a pretty good shout at getting FF levels of shallow depth of field etc :)
35mm f1.0 would be nice, but I bet f1.0 lenses will be big, heavy and very expensive.

The Samyang 35mm f1.2 renders really nicely, shame it doesn’t have AF.

The desire to divorce from Sony is strong in this one LOL

Lol the divorce is nearly complete and it had some sadness attached to it :( the Sony gear I had was some of the best imo.
Looking at it with by head and my heart, the bank balance is happier from it which was one of my original goals.
I did originally budget up to £3-4K on a replacement system but that would have been a pointless move as I know I’d end up blowing the entire budget on lenses I’d probably rarely need or use. I need to go back to basics and I feel that a fixed lens compact might be it.
I was very close to getting a Leica Q2 but couldn’t justify the cost, especially if I don’t get my mojo back.

Fuji have the best looking bodies imo, which obviously isn't very important unless you're like me at the moment and the camera is merely an ornament :LOL:

The Fuji X-T3 is a great body, very well built and of course it's nice to have the old school analogue dials. Just be aware that the grip isn't very deep and if you're used to the D800 I'd strongly recommend a hand grip (Fuji's own is the MHG-XT3 but there are many out there).

As for primes then nothing is going to match the f1.2 on FF in terms of shallow DOF and subject isolation. The closest you're going to get is the 23mm f1.4 (kind of equivalent to 35mm f2 on FF in terms of rendering), 35mm f1.4 (similar to 50mm f2 on FF) and 56mm f1.2 (similar to 85mm f1.8 on FF). Neither lenses or body have any image stabilisation, but then neither does the D800 or Nikon AF-S primes.

The X-T3 will be noticeably lighter than the D800, even with a grip on. How light the lenses will feel will depend on what primes you're used to.

XT4 out in a few months I believe, maybe better grip along with IBS

I think you can get meds for that ;)

I think IBIS is a 99% certainty but it will increase weight I’d have thought, plus it won’t be cheap at launch.

The Fuji X-T4 announcement is this month on the 26th Feb, so I suspect it’ll be out end of March.
It’ll most likely get a new list of goodies without increasing size and weight too much, something in between the current X-T3 and X-H1 bodies.

X-Trans 5 CPU and Sensor
5-axis IBIS 6-stops
Bigger battery
Stronger build like X-H1
Top mount LCD screen
Fully articulating LCD screen, higher pixel count and refresh rate
OLED EVF with 5 million dots 120fps
8K video records with internal 10-bit for 4K

Will probably be priced around £1600-1800. :)

Last edited:
I did originally budget up to £3-4K on a replacement system but that would have been a pointless move as I know I’d end up blowing the entire budget on lenses I’d probably rarely need or use. I need to go back to basics and I feel that a fixed lens compact might be it.

I have a couple of lenses I rarely use, the 60mm f2.4 macro & the 50-140 f2.8. The 60mm can go, but the 50-140 however was purposely purchased to use at zoo'/wildlife parks, and the odd wedding. I don't get a chance to use the 90mm much either, but it's always a joy to see the output.

I do have a short list of additional glass I need to find; 16mm f1.4 & 23mm f1.4, that would give me all 3 f1.4's, and if the Mrs starts to use the spare body, then I may invest in a 16-80.

It's funny, when I was shooting with Canon, I didn't have this hankering for lenses. OK, so I had a couple of the standard L zooms, 17-40 & 24-105, but I didn't lust after glass like I do with Fuji. It must just be a mojo thing.....

The Fuji X-T4 announcement is this month on the 26th Feb, so I suspect it’ll be out end of March.
It’ll most likely get a new list of goodies without increasing size and weight too much, something in between the current X-T3 and X-H1 bodies.

X-Trans 5 CPU and Sensor
5-axis IBIS 6-stops
Bigger battery
Stronger build like X-H1
Top mount LCD screen
Fully articulating LCD screen, higher pixel count and refresh rate
OLED EVF with 5 million dots 120fps
8K video records with internal 10-bit for 4K

Will probably be priced around £1600-1800. :)
Not sure it will update the sensor, but should have a new processor.
IBIS for sure, not sure it'll be 6 stops though is that what they've said?
Better battery would be nice, but again would add to weight.
Nothing wrong with the X-T3 build tbh
I hope they don't add an LCD screen, that would be a massive move away from the analogue style and would upset a lot of people. Can't see that happening.
Fully articulating screen like the X-T200 would be nice.
5 million dots with higher refresh would be nice
It's been confirmed already that it will be 4k video

£1800 would be my guess, but I can't remember what the X-T3 was on launch?

Thanks, so the X-T4 might be around £1400-1500 then?

That depends both on spec and pricing from the competition. There are some rumours saying that it has an integrated grip, in which case in might be closer to your original estimate, if it doesn't then around the £1500 mark is more likely. It all really depends how aggressive Fujifilm want to be. Olympus have already shown their hand, and I suspect that they will want to keep it below the A7iii

Back