The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hello!
I have been a Fuji owner for about 2 months so far and I'm using capture 1 to edit my pictures.
I'm using the trial version and just wondering what other editing programs are available.
So, my editing process is simple, I edit raw files, [don't use jpegs because the camera's jpegs is not to my liking(x-pro 1)] I change the shadows, highlights midtones and colour balance. Sometimes I might use the grain tool, colour balance individually for the shadows, midtones and highlights. And that's about it. I'm happy with capture one but I'm not sure if the free version includes all the tools I'm using at the moment. If not could you suggest any free Fuji editing programs?

Thx for the help Marino

Capture 1 Express (the free version) does not have all the tools of the Pro version. It’s worth trying it to see if it suits you as it’s free. The other main contenders are the Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop suite but that means you have to sign up to a subscription (approx £10 per month) so it’s not free and Photolab 5 but that’s not free either.

It has to be said that the process required to de-mosaic Fujifilm RAW files is problematic for some editors, most do it reasonably well these days but the best seem to be Capture One, Photolab 5 and Rawtherapie (I think Darktable is rated by some but I haven’t used it). Rawtherapie and Darktable are free.

So, it looks as though your options may be limited to Capture One Express, Rawtherapie or Darktable. There is of course Fuji’s own editor which uses the camera‘s processor to do the editing but I haven’t tried it.

I use mainly Lightroom in conjuction with Photolab 5 but they are both paid versions. I also have Capture One Pro.

Last edited:
If anyones interested - There's a couple of websites listing the sigma x mount lenses available for delivery on Tuesday.

Anywhere I've seen them they are certainly not at the expected prices that were suggested earlier on, they're not looking such great value now. I'm seeing the 16 1.4 for example for near €500, a little extra and a bit of searching and you could have the Fuji 16 1.4 in good nick, used

Anywhere I've seen them they are certainly not at the expected prices that were suggested earlier on, they're not looking such great value now. I'm seeing the 16 1.4 for example for near €500, a little extra and a bit of searching and you could have the Fuji 16 1.4 in good nick, used
Yeh am holding off for now.

What price were you expecting? They seem to be the same price as the Sony mount that has been out for a few years now.

What price were you expecting? They seem to be the same price as the Sony mount that has been out for a few years now.

The price that was suggested on some sites earlier in the year as I said - they're cheaper on the likes of B&H in $ before any conversion

The lenses are already old hat - as you say, they've been out already a few years, all they've done is change the mount - trying to compete directly with Fuji, even used, is shooting themselves in the foot, let them on ... I don't care what they charge if I'm not buying - not when the likes of Viltrox are making just as good if not better in some cases, for cheaper

The price that was suggested on some sites earlier in the year as I said - they're cheaper on the likes of B&H in $ before any conversion

The lenses are already old hat - as you say, they've been out already a few years, all they've done is change the mount - trying to compete directly with Fuji, even used, is shooting themselves in the foot, let them on ... I don't care what they charge if I'm not buying - not when the likes of Viltrox are making just as good if not better in some cases, for cheaper
To be fair though all you had to do was look at the price of the other mounts to get an idea of the price, not just what a few sites had said. They may be "old hat" but the 16mm Is a fantastic lens for the price, I used the 16mm and 30mm on a Sony and got some great results with the 16mm, the 30mm is a nice sharp (not as sharp as the 16mm) and another lens to pick from in that focal length with weather sealing. I myself would go for a new Sigma 16mm over a used more expensive Fuji 16mm. Not used a 56mm Sigma but get's very good reviews and one vid I watched recommended the Sigma over the Fuji 56mm unless you really needed the 1.2.

To be fair though all you had to do was look at the price of the other mounts to get an idea of the price, not just what a few sites had said. They may be "old hat" but the 16mm Is a fantastic lens for the price, I used the 16mm and 30mm on a Sony and got some great results with the 16mm, the 30mm is a nice sharp (not as sharp as the 16mm) and another lens to pick from in that focal length with weather sealing. I myself would go for a new Sigma 16mm over a used more expensive Fuji 16mm. Not used a 56mm Sigma but get's very good reviews and one vid I watched recommended the Sigma over the Fuji 56mm unless you really needed the 1.2.

I'm not just going by rumour sites though, it is cheaper in the States. It just veers me more toward the likes of Viltrox. I'm seeing the Sigma 16mm 1.4 [probably the one from Sigma I'd be most interested in atm] for €420 on B&H, but on some EU sites they're asking closer to €500. The Viltrox 13mm 1.4, which looks to be even sharper. it's wider and has an aperture ring is going for just over €400. I'd need to do more research into solid reviews on both before deciding. But a used Fuji 16mm 1.4, if you can get a deal like I did when I bought mine for €500 [and really was almost good as new], is in some ways the better bet. I love that it focuses closer, it's sharp enough for my needs and has that nifty clutch MF mechanism [which is very nice for that close focusng] - it'll nt be as speedy on the AF as either of the others but I never found it too sluggish when I used it.

Last edited:
See I'm just gong by the UK shops prices where the Sigma 16mm is around £130/150 cheaper than a used fuji from a dealer. Yes I'm sure the USA have it cheaper but then there will charges on top of that price to bring it into your location. If i were to go the route of primes again it would be Sig 16mm, Fuji 35f2 and Sig 56mm. Sounds like you got a great deal on the Fuji 16mm.

The Fuji XF16mm F1.4 is an exceptional piece of glass, the Sigma will have to be very good to match it. Until the latest crop of F1.4 lenses the XF16mm was widely considered to be the best prime, when I owned one I loved it, and if I was ever in X series ILC bodies again it would be top of my shopping list

The Fuji XF16mm F1.4 is an exceptional piece of glass, the Sigma will have to be very good to match it. Until the latest crop of F1.4 lenses the XF16mm was widely considered to be the best prime, when I owned one I loved it, and if I was ever in X series ILC bodies again it would be top of my shopping list
There is one vid on the tube comparing the two 16mm and they were so close to each other. I've never owned the Fuji but having used the Sig on a A6000 it was a great lens but didn't think it handled to well on that body as it's quite long.
I am tempted by another one but that will have to wait as the lure of a 50-140 is next when savings are built up a bit. Although a 16mm, 35mm and 40-150 and I think I would be sorted for a while.

Im sure im missing the obvious but on an xt3 when I double tap the screen on play back it zooms in what seems to be about 1 million percent . does anyone know how to set the magnification less on play back?

I've been struggling with the camera recently as when I grip anything my hands tend to shake, side effect of my medication apparently. So getting decent images of my Grandson haven't been that easy, however I was happy this one that I took on Monday. I do love my 35 f1.4; here at F4.

thumb by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

I've been struggling with the camera recently as when I grip anything my hands tend to shake, side effect of my medication apparently. So getting decent images of my Grandson haven't been that easy, however I was happy this one that I took on Monday. I do love my 35 f1.4; here at F4.

thumb by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Sorry to hear that Steve, would a camera with IBIS help??

Sorry to hear that Steve, would a camera with IBIS help??

Probably, as you know, the 35 f1.4 doesn't have stabalisation, unlike all of the zooms. I may just have to keep that 90mm that I keep thinking of selling.....

Second time out with the X-T4 and the 100-400 at Donington Park last weekend for the Historic Festival, featuring these Group C and IMSA GTP monsters from the 80s and early 90s

Cracking set, Silkcut Jaguars bring back a few memories. Im yet to try the 100-400 on motorsport. Looking to go to Le Mans next year so need to get some practice in. Going to go see if these are planning a trip to Brands Hatch, my local track

Exceptional set!

Thank you, they are wonderful cars to shoot.
Cracking set, Silkcut Jaguars bring back a few memories. Im yet to try the 100-400 on motorsport. Looking to go to Le Mans next year so need to get some practice in. Going to go see if these are planning a trip to Brands Hatch, my local track
I think this race was a one off, not part of a series unfortunately. I really like the 100-400 for motorsport, it's a great focal length range on an APS-C body and the AF is really fast, on an X-T4 anyway. I'd read loads online about the lens being slow to focus and not sharp but I've not found either of those things to be true on my copy

Thank you, they are wonderful cars to shoot.

I think this race was a one off, not part of a series unfortunately. I really like the 100-400 for motorsport, it's a great focal length range on an APS-C body and the AF is really fast, on an X-T4 anyway. I'd read loads online about the lens being slow to focus and not sharp but I've not found either of those things to be true on my copy
So it seems but Brands is having a 90's Le Mans, 80/90's F1 and 60/70's endurance car meet end of the Month.

I thought they'd be a bit less on e-infinity. They've only got the 30mm on there, which has gone from 279 to 308 now at 301. That's actually a higher price than other sites.

I think I'd go for the 56mm if e-infin had it around the 300 mark same as the other mount lenses.

Lovely shot! Last time I was there, what was left of it looked more like Appledurcombe Wall.
Thanks Garry, the house is still a shell and they were setting up for an event this weekend so vans and big tent by the house, hence the grounds were more interesting :)

Anyone using the newish 18mm F1.4 ?
Care to share your thoughts.

Does anyone here sell any of their images from the Fuji cameras and if so have you had any negatives in terms of image quality or the customer not happy with the quality? I'm thinking of selling some however I'm hesitant because I was asked for a print of one of my most engaged with photos and the print company said it was of poor quality so I didn't bother because I was demoralised. This was on my X-T2 years ago and the quality issue was caused by the worming issues the camera had with foliage which is exacerbated by sharpening.

Combined with that experience, maybe I'm also too meticulous with things because of my day job as a software tester, which involves me paying attention to anything and everything, that I don't think the X-T3/X-T4 is good enough for selling images. This is why I've been toying with getting a Sony A7III for some sharper images. My only gripe on that is I'd probably have to sell my Fuji camera to get the Sony and everytime I think about using them both I just keep coming back to using Fuji as it's my favourite brand to use; I wish I could just afford both haha.

Apologies if this is negative Nancy!

Does anyone here sell any of their images from the Fuji cameras and if so have you had any negatives in terms of image quality or the customer not happy with the quality? I'm thinking of selling some however I'm hesitant because I was asked for a print of one of my most engaged with photos and the print company said it was of poor quality so I didn't bother because I was demoralised. This was on my X-T2 years ago and the quality issue was caused by the worming issues the camera had with foliage which is exacerbated by sharpening.

Combined with that experience, maybe I'm also too meticulous with things because of my day job as a software tester, which involves me paying attention to anything and everything, that I don't think the X-T3/X-T4 is good enough for selling images. This is why I've been toying with getting a Sony A7III for some sharper images. My only gripe on that is I'd probably have to sell my Fuji camera to get the Sony and everytime I think about using them both I just keep coming back to using Fuji as it's my favourite brand to use; I wish I could just afford both haha.

Apologies if this is negative Nancy!

Yep, Negative Nancy :ROFLMAO: I've sold images, not had complaints, even printed an X-T2 image onto A1 for a client (processed in Lightroom as well using the Adobe RAW converter!). There are plenty of wedding photographers out there using X series cameras, and even the likes of Thomas Heaton uses X series cameras for landscapes as well.

Fuji files respond best to gentle processing, its easy to make worms especially with over sharpening.

You have to remember the gviewing distance for prints is often further away than that of a monitor, so ultimatec resolution is not 'normally' a worry.

Last edited:
Yep, Negative Nancy :ROFLMAO: I've sold images, not had complaints, even printed an X-T2 image onto A1 for a client (processed in Lightroom as well using the Adobe RAW converter!). There are plenty of wedding photographers out there using X series cameras, and even the likes of Thomas Heaton uses X series cameras for landscapes as well.

Fuji files respond best to gentle processing, its easy to make worms especially with over sharpening.

You have to remeber the gviewing distance for prints is often further away than that of a monitor, so ultimatec resolution is not 'normally' a worry.
TH is using a GFX as well though and so are you if I remember correctly lol.

I only do gentle processing but unsure what happened to that X-T2 image. I see it's cleaned up more on the XT3/XT4 files but I guess it's just still in the back of my mind hence the post. I think I shall keep onto the Fuji and stop being a Nancy :D. Thanks for the clarity and saving me from the pits of despair ;)

P.S. No-ones gonna wanna buy my cr@ppy images anyway lol.

Last edited:
Back