The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

A lovely shot and so nice to see a youngster wearing the proper protection gear, even in this heat. That X100V is a magical little camera.

Typical, the time I want to buy an X100V and they are out of stock everywhere :(

Typical, the time I want to buy an X100V and they are out of stock everywhere :(
The advice that I was given was just to get an order in somewhere, they do seem to be filtering through, but they are usually pre-sold. Mine was available 8 days after pre-ordering at my local camera shop.

The advice that I was given was just to get an order in somewhere, they do seem to be filtering through, but they are usually pre-sold. Mine was available 8 days after pre-ordering at my local camera shop.

Think I’ll just put an order in with Wex and see how it goes, hopefully get it soon.

Totally bonkers, but I love these (y)

Still can`t quite work out how you pivot, without cracking your back ;)
I have just bought a Nodal Ninja on ebay but left for Italy just before it arrived so this is handheld again. I take the first five or so shots with my eye to the viewfinder leaning further back each time. At some point my core "muscles" (fat) can take no more and I rotate the camera over my scull until I am taking the shot backwards, looking like an escaped lunatic. Thankfully this gallery is full of models, wannabe models, Instagram models and plain old tourists striking poses so nobody was paying me any attention. I felt slightly more conscious when doing it in Southeark cathedral!

Last edited:
I have just bought a Nodal Ninja on ebay but left for Italy just before it arrived so this is handheld again. I take the first five or so shots with my eye to the viewfinder leaning further back each time. At some point my core "muscles" (fat) can take no more and I rotate the camera over my scull until I am taking the shot backwards, looking like an escaped lunatic. Thankfully this gallery is full of models, wannabe models, Instagram models and plain old tourists striking poses so nobody was paying me any attention. I felt slightly more conscious when doing it in Southeark cathedral!
Thanks, Ian :)
Jeeze that sounds bloody awkward... You need to get a video up of you doing it :)

Trying something a little different - I have an X-T1 sitting doing nothing and was considering converting it to infrared. Before I commit, I've borrowed an infrared converted Xpro1 for some testing. Lenses are finicky when using IR, and my usual 18-55mm is unsuitable. I pinched the XC 16-55mm from my girlfriends setup and while it's better for IR, it's pretty poor in general.

I'll be looking for an 18-135mm, since they're considered pretty good both in general, and for IR.

Either way, despite it's issues, I quite like this as a first result -

Infrared Test by jimmyjamjoejoe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone using the Tamron 18-300 on X-mount?

I bought this as a holiday lens, and for that, IQ has been plenty good enough. But I have found that the zoom ring's action is quite stiff over part of the range. Might just be a bad example. It's still within warranty (albeit, via E-infinity, which would be hassle), but I thought I'd check with any owners here for other PoVs.

Anyone?

Trying something a little different - I have an X-T1 sitting doing nothing and was considering converting it to infrared. Before I commit, I've borrowed an infrared converted Xpro1 for some testing. Lenses are finicky when using IR, and my usual 18-55mm is unsuitable. I pinched the XC 16-55mm from my girlfriends setup and while it's better for IR, it's pretty poor in general.

I'll be looking for an 18-135mm, since they're considered pretty good both in general, and for IR.

Either way, despite it's issues, I quite like this as a first result -

Infrared Test by jimmyjamjoejoe, on Flickr
I much prefer this one, to the mono you put on Flickr. Lovely inky blues (y)

I much prefer this one, to the mono you put on Flickr. Lovely inky blues (y)

Thanks, me too. It was my first time shooting IR and the processing for colour seemed a bit daunting, especially dealing with the hotspot before starting the rest. Fortunately with that lens the hotspot is only really a temperature change rather than exposure too - With that in mind I decided to process mono at first and keep things simple.

I decided to be brave and take a crack at the colour afterwards, and it worked out better than expected!

Thanks, me too. It was my first time shooting IR and the processing for colour seemed a bit daunting, especially dealing with the hotspot before starting the rest. Fortunately with that lens the hotspot is only really a temperature change rather than exposure too - With that in mind I decided to process mono at first and keep things simple.

I decided to be brave and take a crack at the colour afterwards, and it worked out better than expected!
Nice one :)
There must be a big IR thing going on at the moment. Whole bunch form my camera club are getting right into it too ;)

Nice one :)
There must be a big IR thing going on at the moment. Whole bunch form my camera club are getting right into it too ;)

It might have something to do with Thomas Heaton... He's recently done a couple of videos on it, and while i've been thinking about it for a while, his videos tipped me over the edge.

It might have something to do with Thomas Heaton... He's recently done a couple of videos on it, and while i've been thinking about it for a while, his videos tipped me over the edge.
Ahh that might well be the case then.

These have rendered nicely Trev. Do you process your Fuji files differently to the Sony as they seem to lack a little contrast in comparison, almost like the shadows have been lifted?
Thanks Toby. Still getting my head around processing these. No shadow lifting. More practice needed.

Thanks Toby. Still getting my head around processing these. No shadow lifting. More practice needed.
Nothing wrong with them at all, was just an observation (y)

Due to an accident a couple of weeks ago resulting in various injuries including broken finger etc. I’m off work for a month or so. There’s no way I’m going to carry my usual camera gear and I have the urge to buy another Fuji while I await the X100V to come in stock.

So anyway thinking of getting an XT4 with a 16-80 lens as an all rounder. What is the 16-80 like? I used to like the 18-55 kit so not sure if I should go that route instead.

Last edited:
Due to an accident a couple of weeks ago resulting in various injuries including broken finger etc. I’m off work for a month or so. There’s no way I’m going to carry my usual camera gear and I have the urge to buy another Fuji while I await the X100V to come in stock.

So anyway thinking of getting an XT4 with a 16-80 lens as an all rounder. What is the 16-80 like? I used to like the 18-55 kit so not sure if I should go that route instead.
I’ve had that setup Jase. Have to say it’s superb.

I’ve had that setup Jase. Have to say it’s superb.
But don’t overlook the X-S10. Also had that. Same image quality as the x-T4. Still has IBIS

But don’t overlook the X-S10. Also had that. Same image quality as the x-T4. Still has IBIS

Thanks, I’d not considered that one but now having looked at it I don’t think it’s one I would get. One of the things I liked about Fuji were the dials for shutter speed, iso etc and they are missing on the xs10. I have a Sony A1 and A7RIV which are good cameras but not exactly a pleasure or fun to use and this purchase is purely for fun and and motivation! Which hopefully will result in some decent photos too :)

Initial reviews of the 16-80 are all over the place - most liked the lens as an all-rounder with very effective OIS, but pointed out soft corners at the longer focal lengths and some focus wobble with video shooting and zooming. Not sure if any firmware updates fixed these issues?

I have the 16-80 for my walkabout lens.
It is not as good as the 16-55mm f2.8 and probably the equal of the 18-55mm kit lens maybe a little less contrasty, but I prefer it to the 18-55 as it has that extra width and a little more reach. Downside of the 16-80 is it is more bulky due the the OIS, than the 18-55, but is less heavy than the 16-55. Any which way is a trade off, it is just which is the best compromise for you, .... Best IQ v. Weight v. Size v. OIS.

Initial reviews of the 16-80 are all over the place - most liked the lens as an all-rounder with very effective OIS, but pointed out soft corners at the longer focal lengths and some focus wobble with video shooting and zooming. Not sure if any firmware updates fixed these issues?

I did see a review which mentioned the focus wobble when zooming, be interesting to know if that was fixed as that’s a pretty major issue.

I did see a review which mentioned the focus wobble when zooming, be interesting to know if that was fixed as that’s a pretty major issue.

For some. I never shoot video, so it doesn't bug me at all. The pal2tech video channel was the one I remember discussing it.

X-H2S, 150-600
Trying the Animal detect on the dog
Probably the toughest test, he's heading straight for me at top speed.
some atmospherics at work here.
Not too bad a result.
From a burst at 40FPS

It's Brody by Trevor, on Flickr
40fps :eek: That’s a lot of images to sift through ;)

40fps :eek: That’s a lot of images to sift through ;)
Thing is Toby. I’m looking for a particular positioning of the dog. Once I’ve settled on it I don’t bother with the rest. Yes it’s a massive number for 2-3 seconds. Great fun though.

Thing is Toby. I’m looking for a particular positioning of the dog. Once I’ve settled on it I don’t bother with the rest. Yes it’s a massive number for 2-3 seconds. Great fun though.
Yeah I can understand that, I'm always looking for "that pose".

Back