The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

X-H2/S owners. I’ve set the Fn2 button to switch exposure compensation when in Manual Mode on/off. I’ve updated firmware and it only works in Auto ISO. Cannot remember if it worked in fixed ISO before. I’d like it to. Anyone help..?
Just checked on both my bodies and it only works in Auto ISO as you say. Unfortunately I have updated the firmware: the X-H2 is Version 1.11 and the X-H2S is Version 2.10.

I don't remember if it worked in fixed ISO as I never assigned a button to it. The manual only states that a command button can be assigned to switch on/off in M mode. There is no mention of Auto ISO/Fixed ISO.

Hopefully someone with a pre-latest update version will chime in.

I have an x-h2 coming to me early in the new year to try out, really want to see how the AF compares to the x-h2s I had a while ago.
Im coming from the xt30 so its all a massive upgrade for me! The iso back dial direction is grinding my gears tho - we all know right is up

Don't believe you can use exposure compensation in manual mode Trevor. Would imagine the expectation is you do all the settings via aperture, iso or shutter speed to get the effect required.
Edit
I stand corrected, from the xh2/s manual
In manual mode, exposure can be adjusted by rotating the front or rear command dial after pressing a control to which (comp button)WHEN SET TO Manual(ON/OFF SWITCH) is assigned.

That's odd. I thought the same as you...

I wonder what it prioritises when everything is set to manual.

Yep. As you can see that’s what I’ve done. But, it only seems to work in Auto ISO. NOT fixed ISO.

Surely exposure compensation has to have something to adjust. In any mode, including manual, that could be aperture, shutter speed, or ISO. It has always been ISO that exposure compensation has adjusted in just about every camera I've owned.

Surely exposure compensation has to have something to adjust. In any mode, including manual, that could be aperture, shutter speed, or ISO. It has always been ISO that exposure compensation has adjusted in just about every camera I've owned.
That’s right mate. But I expect T5 owners can shoot Manual with fixed ISO and use the exposure compensation wheel to effect plus/minus changes.
Just seems odd that H2/S can’t. Do it. Actually no biggie. Just seems like an anomaly.

That’s right mate. But I expect T5 owners can shoot Manual with fixed ISO and use the exposure compensation wheel to effect plus/minus changes.
Just seems odd that H2/S can’t. Do it. Actually no biggie. Just seems like an anomaly.
I don't understand the need for exposure compensation in manual, surely the whole point of manual is to control the exposure yourself?

I have just checked, and can't do it on the X-T3. I'm pretty sure it's never been able to do it.

I don't shoot Manual Often unless I am using flash, if you are in M and want to exposure comp, which of the 3 does it pick to adjust? Surely it's ISO? But that would require you to have it set Auto ISO and not a fixed ISO.

Then you wouldn't be shooting in manual.

Exactly...then which of the 3 would it change...if it does override?

It can't be Aperture, as that has a maximum...or can have a maximum, or more easily hit.

Shutterspeed or ISO then....

Last edited:
am i misunderstanding something here if you are in manual mode why would you ever need to EC?

Same, I don't think it would work.

Imagine you are the engineer, why would you make that work, if it can and if you could, which of the 3 would it override without annoying some people.

frozen canal Birmingham last weekend. xh1 viltrox 33mm

dec22-106 by andyboddice, on Flickr
How do you find the Viltrox 33mm? I have the Fuji 33mm on loan at the moment and I'm really enjoying it but I don't think I could ever justify £700 for a lens I wouldn't use loads. The Viltrox I could for less than half the price.

I don't understand the need for exposure compensation in manual, surely the whole point of manual is to control the exposure yourself?
Obviously I’m not making it clear. I’m shooting in Manual. Fixed Shutter, Aperture , ISO. I’m tracking a bird flying in front of Trees, it breaks for open sky. I want to add Exposure Compensation without changing Shutter or Fvalue quickly.

Obviously I’m not making it clear. I’m shooting in Manual. Fixed Shutter, Aperture , ISO. I’m tracking a bird flying in front of Trees, it breaks for open sky. I want to add Exposure Compensation without changing Shutter or Fvalue quickly.

Sounds like you should use Auto ISO and then let the camera do its thing.

I've just put a fixed shutter, aperture and ISO into my X-T4 and the exposure compensation dial does nothing in that mode. As soon as I put any of the exposure parameters in auto it becomes active. As has been said above, in full manual you're in total control of the exposure yourself so which parameter would the exposure compensation dial change?

If I put shutter speed and ISO to Auto then the exposure compensation dial changes the ISO (as the minimum SS value is fixed as part of the Auto ISO setting). If put SS to Auto and fix the ISO then the exposure compensation dial changes the shutter speed.

I never shoot full manual anyway. For motorsport or wildlife I control SS and Aperture and let the Auto ISO do it's thing. For general photography I tend to be in Aperture priority mode with SS and ISO set to Auto. ISO performance is so good now that I'm never really that bothered if I need sky high ISOs

Last edited:

All my wildlife stuff has been shot in Aperture Priority, generally open as wide as possible, and adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed up. Hence many of my shots with the 100-400 & 1.4TC are at 1600-3200, unless it's a very bright day.

Surely if you've got the correct exposure for the bird when it's in front of the trees, it will still be correct when it's in front of the sky so you don't need to change the exposure at all?

X-H2/S owners. I’ve set the Fn2 button to switch exposure compensation when in Manual Mode on/off. I’ve updated firmware and it only works in Auto ISO. Cannot remember if it worked in fixed ISO before. I’d like it to. Anyone help..?
Not sure which firmware you are on Trevor I’m still on 1.01 (been meaning to upgrade) but mine will only do it on Auto iso.

Then you wouldn't be shooting in manual.

am i misunderstanding something here if you are in manual mode why would you ever need to EC?

Sounds like you should use Auto ISO and then let the camera do its thing.

I've just put a fixed shutter, aperture and ISO into my X-T4 and the exposure compensation dial does nothing in that mode. As soon as I put any of the exposure parameters in auto it becomes active. As has been said above, in full manual you're in total control of the exposure yourself so which parameter would the exposure compensation dial change?

If I put shutter speed and ISO to Auto then the exposure compensation dial changes the ISO (as the minimum SS value is fixed as part of the Auto ISO setting). If put SS to Auto and fix the ISO then the exposure compensation dial changes the shutter speed.

I never shoot full manual anyway. For motorsport or wildlife I control SS and Aperture and let the Auto ISO do it's thing. For general photography I tend to be in Aperture priority mode with SS and ISO set to Auto. ISO performance is so good now that I'm never really that bothered if I need sky high ISOs

All my wildlife stuff has been shot in Aperture Priority, generally open as wide as possible, and adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed up. Hence many of my shots with the 100-400 & 1.4TC are at 1600-3200, unless it's a very bright day.

Surely if you've got the correct exposure for the bird when it's in front of the trees, it will still be correct when it's in front of the sky so you don't need to change the exposure at all?
Thanks all. My pursuance of this point is because the manual for X-H2/S tells how to use a Fn button to allow Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode. No mention of a requirement to use Auto ISO. As pointed out. Auto anything is not Manual. Case closed. I’ll try and find something else to talk about.

How do you find the Viltrox 33mm? I have the Fuji 33mm on loan at the moment and I'm really enjoying it but I don't think I could ever justify £700 for a lens I wouldn't use loads. The Viltrox I could for less than half the price.

Consider the Sigma 30mm - much better than the Viltrox for not much more £££. The Sigma primes are absolutely amazing.

Consider the Sigma 30mm - much better than the Viltrox for not much more £££. The Sigma primes are absolutely amazing.
I think they're within £10 of each other for Fuji. I always forget about the Sigma primes. The lack of an aperture ring doesn't bother me much being new to the Fuji system. The Fuji 35mm F2 is another option as well. I know I'd lose a stop of light but it's smaller, lighter and weather sealed. This Fuji 33mm f1.4 I've got on loan is stunning and I've only used it around the house so far. If money was no object I'd definitely buy one.

Last edited:
when i first moved over to fuji i bought the 23,33 and 85mm all 3 came in for around £700, for the money yes i'm happy with them the focus is pretty quick and reliable, image quality i can't complain and build quality is pretty good (lens hood actually fits and works which is a novelty thing on fuji) iwould like to try the fuji versions to see if i can see any improvements but they would have to be a big difference to spend the money.

when i first moved over to fuji i bought the 23,33 and 85mm all 3 came in for around £700, for the money yes i'm happy with them the focus is pretty quick and reliable, image quality i can't complain and build quality is pretty good (lens hood actually fits and works which is a novelty thing on fuji) iwould like to try the fuji versions to see if i can see any improvements but they would have to be a big difference to spend the money.
How are they with purple fringing? I've seen loads of reviews mention it but not shooting in real world conditions. Is it a problem in the real world?

I’ve not seen one in the flesh. Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Silver finish on X-T5. I’m too scared to find a camera shop with one in stock…. I’ve had a Silver X-T4. A comparison would be nice.

Edit. Asking for a friend obviously..

Last edited:
Thanks all. My pursuance of this point is because the manual for X-H2/S tells how to use a Fn button to allow Exposure Compensation in Manual Mode. No mention of a requirement to use Auto ISO. As pointed out. Auto anything is not Manual. Case closed. I’ll try and find something else to talk about.
I think you're over reading the manual. as others have said, if the shutter, aperture and iso are all on fixed settings there is nothing for the compensation to change. It more means that when not in manual you use one of the wheels to adjust it but in manual this can't be done as one does aperture and one does shutter so you have to then assign it to a different button.

I’ve not seen one in the flesh. Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Silver finish on X-T5. I’m too scared to find a camera shop with one in stock…. I’ve had a Silver X-T4. A comparison would be nice.

Get in the sea Trev.......and take your wallet with you and hope the salt makes the credit cards unusable :ROFLMAO:

A friend of mine has a silver one..... Looks ok to me (but I prefer black) ;)

I've paid no attention to kit for a couple of years and just thought I'd like to upgrade my X100S to either a V or an X Pro 2 or 3. WTF has happened? The X100V seems to be out of stock everywhere and XP2's are pretty thin on the gound.
Is this a temporary thing or what?

Same for most electronic goodies - Supply chain issues. X100v's have been selling out within minutes of coming into stock. Most people have more luck in their local brick and mortar.

I've paid no attention to kit for a couple of years and just thought I'd like to upgrade my X100S to either a V or an X Pro 2 or 3. WTF has happened? The X100V seems to be out of stock everywhere and XP2's are pretty thin on the gound.
Is this a temporary thing or what?
Fuji cannot make enough X100Vs, to the point where the factory has stopped taking orders so they can clear the backlog. The X100 series in general has seen a spike in popularity due to several TikTok influencers saying it takes photos that "look like film". Now is a good time to sell your X100S as prices have gone through the roof

Back