The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I might hold off for a used T5 then, the longer I wait, the more I can save.
You can rent free on the fujifilm website for two days (just pay a deposit), that may be worth doing. I personally wouldn't pay over £800 for a used T4, I think a £500 T3 is better value.

It does make me wonder,just how photographers got anything in fucus a few years ago, without super snappy autofocus ;)

Have a great Christmas, everyone (y)

You can rent free on the fujifilm website for two days (just pay a deposit), that may be worth doing. I personally wouldn't pay over £800 for a used T4, I think a £500 T3 is better value.
Got an x-t3 for sale for not far off with a leather case and a couple extra batteries (shameless plug )

It does make me wonder,just how photographers got anything in fucus a few years ago, without super snappy autofocus ;)

Have a great Christmas, everyone (y)
Nothing to do with what we had years ago, its about value for money to me. The X-T4 is currently down from £1549 to £1399, anyone paying that vs the T5 is mad.

Nothing to do with what we had years ago, its about value for money to me. The X-T4 is currently down from £1549 to £1399, anyone paying that vs the T5 is mad.
I wouldn’t buy a new T4, there’s a used on for £899 on LCE. I think they can fall further yet with more people trading them in for a T5.

Last edited:
The X-T4 is currently down from £1549 to £1399, anyone paying that vs the T5 is mad.
Well I totally agree with you on that front.

So I did some testing today of my lenses on the XH2 and XT5 as I had a bit of spare time.
Officially Fuji claim that these lenses work best.
Lens compatibility with XH2.jpeg

So the list is:
Bearing in mind it is not a sunny California day, but a typical wintry UK grey day!!!

From my testing to date the following are OK/sharp on XT5 or XH2:
Samyang 8mm f2.8
Fuji 8-16mm f2.8
Fuji 14mm f2.8 - This really is a stellar lens, it may not be absolutely as sharp at the edges as I might like but the center and most of the way out it is crisp.
Fuji 10-24mm f4 (old)
Fuji 16mm f1.4 - This looks fine to me. Dont know why it isnt on the Fuji OK list but it may be just a tad less sharp than some of the other lenses.
Fuji 16-55mm f2.8
Fuji 50mm f2
Fuji 70-300mm f5.6
Fuji 35mm f1.4 - It may not be absolutely as sharp at the edges as I would like but the center and most of the way out it is crisp. The new 33mm f1.4 is probably the better lens.
Fuji 56mm f1.2
Fuji 80mm f2.8
Fuji 90mm f2.0
Fuji 50-140 f2.8
Fuji 100-400 f5.6

The following are not usable for 'best results', but obviously captures an image but in my opinion it looks soft:
Laowa 9mm f2.8
Fuji 15-45mm f3.5-5.6
Fuji 18mm f2.0
Fuji 27mm f2.8
Fuji 16-80mm f4
Fuji 60mm f2.8 Macro - I would use this for portraits on the XT5 and XH2 as then I wouldnt have to soften. I need to test this out in studio!!!
Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4
Fuji 18-135 f3.5-5.6
Fuji 55-200 f3.5-4.8

Still to test:
(+ = expected to be OK, x = expect to limit future use to 26MP cameras), and ?+ or ?x means I have no idea what will be the result.

I will probably retest the lenses on a bright and sunny day as the weather is not great today with periods of rain and general UK greyness!!

My most unexpected results were the little Samyang 8mm f2.8 actually delivering good results and the Fuji 14mm f2.8 whilst not be really crisp at the edges it is still very good most of the way to the edges.

So I did some testing today of my lenses on the XH2 and XT5 as I had a bit of spare time.

The following are not usable for 'best results', but obviously captures an image but in my opinion it looks soft:
Laowa 9mm f2.8
Fuji 15-45mm f3.5-5.6
Fuji 18mm f2.0
Fuji 27mm f2.8
Fuji 16-80mm f4
Fuji 60mm f2.8 Macro - I would use this for portraits on the XT5 and XH2 as then I wouldnt have to soften. I need to test this out in studio!!!
Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4
Fuji 18-135 f3.5-5.6
Fuji 55-200 f3.5-4.8

That's a rather depressing list considering that some of the lenses listed are fairly standard options (the 16-80 and 18-55 especially).

Even more surprising when the 16-80 is the designated bundled kit lens!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That's a nice woodland style capture Paul, really liking the contre-jour light and high contrast presentation.
Thank you, George (y)

What's going on with the prices of Fujifilm cameras? I fancied getting another X-T1 or X-E1 but since I sold mine a couple of years ago the prices have gone ridiculous. I sold my T1 for £125 and my E1 for £95 which were about the average at the time. Now they are something like at LEAST 3x that?
Wish I'd kept hold of them now. I've also had the T2 &T3 and E2 @ E3 but just wanted a first generation to keep in the car, I'll maybe have to rethink my plans.

What's going on with the prices of Fujifilm cameras? I fancied getting another X-T1 or X-E1 but since I sold mine a couple of years ago the prices have gone ridiculous. I sold my T1 for £125 and my E1 for £95 which were about the average at the time. Now they are something like at LEAST 3x that?
Wish I'd kept hold of them now. I've also had the T2 &T3 and E2 @ E3 but just wanted a first generation to keep in the car, I'll maybe have to rethink my plans.

For the money of how much they cost between T1 to T3, the best bang for buck value one is T3 at around £500.

For the money of how much they cost between T1 to T3, the best bang for buck value one is T3 at around £500.
I can't disagree with that but I only wanted one to just keep in the car. Thought they would be around what I originally sold mine for or a bit less. £500 is a bit steep for what I wanted, especially as I'll also need a lens and I suppose they are going for stupid money now too.

I can't disagree with that but I only wanted one to just keep in the car. Thought they would be around what I originally sold mine for or a bit less. £500 is a bit steep for what I wanted, especially as I'll also need a lens and I suppose they are going for stupid money now too.
I notice that too, I had 23 and 35 2.0 and sold them silly cheap.

Borrowing a Viltrox 23mm at the moment from a mate. Enjoying the focal length for indoor use. Gives enough room to go in and out without being too tight.

How does the Fuji 23mm 1.4 compare against the Viltrox? Seen some pop up second hand but unsure what to have as daily driver stuck on a X-T20 or a future upgrade X-T3/T30/EX4 body.

Is the Fuji evenly matched?

Compared to the 27mm 2.8 the 1.4 light gathering ability is great.

Not shot much over the Holidays
Grab of Granddaughter with the H2S
Processed in PureRaw2 ISO 8000
Tamron 17-70 @F2.8
Tried the H2 but the banding was severe, stacked sensor really helped here.

Little Miss P by Trevor, on Flickr

Very nice candid style capture Trevor, well composed with a lovely expression on the child's face.

Borrowing a Viltrox 23mm at the moment from a mate. Enjoying the focal length for indoor use. Gives enough room to go in and out without being too tight.

How does the Fuji 23mm 1.4 compare against the Viltrox? Seen some pop up second hand but unsure what to have as daily driver stuck on a X-T20 or a future upgrade X-T3/T30/EX4 body.

How is the Viltrox? Torn between this or the 33mm, or the Fuji 23mm or 35mm f2. I have the Fuji 33mm f1.4 on loan at the moment and it's amazing but way out of my budget. I really like the 50mm equivalent focal length but feel the 23mm is more versatile. I can crop in to give the same view as the 33mm if I wanted to.

@Raymond Lin 2914 shutter count

I have been going round full circles, round and round…..

So the idea started off with getting a newer fuji camera from my X-T1 or X-Pro2. Originally I thought about the X-Pro2 but slowly realised the AF would still bug me being so outdated now.

I held back until i done my tax returns before getting anything so i know how big a budget i can allocate to it, now that’s done, and started looking at more….then more musing i now want to try my hand at anamorphic images, since APSC anamorphic lenses are like 1/3rd of the size it made sense to get it on the Fuji, to get it on the E-mount on my A73 would make it a 10mp camera…with anamorphic perhaps i could shoot a little video too…

So now my mind has written off X-Pro2…now moved to something with IBIS, meaning X-H1, X-T4. I’ve even thought about X-H2 in the past 24hrs, thinking…perfect combo for photos too for some LARGE detailed cityscapes. Better EVF, I do like the better grip.

This morning….i thought…APSC sensor….what about Sony???? A little video? FX30? Reading a bit into that now, 26mp, IBIS and I have an all the Sony lenses too, so it could be used to as a backup for work as well at a pinch. Sony also have better autofocus? Full size HDMI, basically the FX3 (£4k camera) but APSC instead. It has a nice grip already as well

But now the budget has gone from like £600 to £2k lol……which is insane, this is what happen when i am not thinking with my business brain to consider what is good for business but use my heart to buy it for a hobby……there is no price limit when it comes to hobby lol

The logical choice is probably X-T4, flip out screen if i even want to use it as a webcam. I have also had this thought of trying some Fuji JPEGS to see for myself what they are really like…..so the newer bodies with more simulations might be fun?

1st world problem…..

Last edited:

How is the Viltrox? Torn between this or the 33mm, or the Fuji 23mm or 35mm f2. I have the Fuji 33mm f1.4 on loan at the moment and it's amazing but way out of my budget. I really like the 50mm equivalent focal length but feel the 23mm is more versatile. I can crop in to give the same view as the 33mm if I wanted to.
I’m using the Viltrox at the moment. Previously had the original Fuji 23 f1.4. If you’re choosing between these two. Save your cash and get the Viltrox. Personally I’m gonna get the new Fuji 23mm f1.4 LM. I don’t like the clickless aperture ring on the Viltrox. Too easy to move without noticing. Bloody expensive though. (The Fuji)

I have been going round full circles, round and round…..

So the idea started off with getting a newer fuji camera from my X-T1 or X-Pro2. Originally I thought about the X-Pro2 but slowly realised the AF would still bug me being so outdated now.

I held back until i done my tax returns before getting anything so i know how big a budget i can allocate to it, now that’s done, and started looking at more….then more musing i now want to try my hand at anamorphic images, since APSC anamorphic lenses are like 1/3rd of the size it made sense to get it on the Fuji, to get it on the E-mount on my A73 would make it a 10mp camera…with anamorphic perhaps i could shoot a little video too…

So now my mind has written off X-Pro2…now moved to something with IBIS, meaning X-H1, X-T4. I’ve even thought about X-H2 in the past 24hrs, thinking…perfect combo for photos too for some LARGE detailed cityscapes. Better EVF, I do like the better grip.

This morning….i thought…APSC sensor….what about Sony???? A little video? FX30? Reading a bit into that now, 26mp, IBIS and I have an all the Sony lenses too, so it could be used to as a backup for work as well at a pinch. Sony also have better autofocus? Full size HDMI, basically the FX3 (£4k camera) but APSC instead. It has a nice grip already as well

But now the budget has gone from like £600 to £2k lol……which is insane, this is what happen when i am not thinking with my business brain to consider what is good for business but use my heart to buy it for a hobby……there is no price limit when it comes to hobby lol

The logical choice is probably X-T4, flip out screen if i even want to use it as a webcam. I have also had this thought of trying some Fuji JPEGS to see for myself what they are really like…..so the newer bodies with more simulations might be fun?

1st world problem…..
So i've had the following;

X-T1, T2, T3, T4 H1, X100F + V
GFX 50S II (for about 14 days)

Canon R6

Sony A7 III
Sony A9
Sony A7R III

Currently have the A7 IV

The one I miss the most and rate highest is the A7R III

I've never really used SOOC Fuji jpeg's much because you can apply the fuji film sim to RAW's in LR and C1 in a couple of seconds but it's very handy to see what you're getting on the screen ie. I would try classic chrome and Pro Neg at vintage car shows to see what suited a particular car, obviously if processing the RAW later you can choose any of the sims.
Have I missed the Fuji sims since going back to Sony ? Not at all because i've now started processing with either DXO film pack 6 or ON1 effects 19 and personally my favourite look at the moment is Kodak Ekta but I can access the Fuji sims (or very close) via those software programmes. Software continues to move the goal posts and you can emulate almost anything these days with any camera.

If budget isn't an issue i'd be looking at the new A7RV or a GFX 100S but I think a used A7R III for around £1200 would be the best bang for buck. I'm currently looking at voigtlander lenses for something a bit more interesting.

Last edited:
I’m using the Viltrox at the moment. Previously had the original Fuji 23 f1.4. If you’re choosing between these two. Save your cash and get the Viltrox. Personally I’m gonna get the new Fuji 23mm f1.4 LM. I don’t like the clickless aperture ring on the Viltrox. Too easy to move without noticing. Bloody expensive though. (The Fuji)
The clickless aperture ring does put me off. I notice the newer Viltrox lenses have a clicked aperture ring so maybe they will update the 23mm and 33mm at some point.

The other thing is I can get a Fuji 23mm or 35mm f2 from eBay for the same or a lower price. I know those lenses are a stop slower but they're also much smaller and weather sealed. I guess it's a nice problem to have that the third party lenses are so good now.

Canon R6

Sony A7 III
Sony A9
Sony A7R III

Currently have the A7 IV

I've never really used SOOC Fuji jpeg's much because you can apply the fuji film sim to RAW's in LR and C1 in a couple of seconds but it's very handy to see what you're getting on the screen ie. I would try classic chrome and Pro Neg at vintage car shows to see what suited a particular car, obviously if processing the RAW later you can choose any of the sims.
Have I missed the Fuji sims since going back to Sony ? Not at all because i've now started processing with either DXO film pack 6 or ON1 effects 19 and personally my favourite look at the moment is Kodak Ekta but I can access the Fuji sims (or very close) via those software programmes. Software continues to move the goal posts and you can emulate almost anything these days with any camera.

If budget isn't an issue i'd be looking at the new A7RV or a GFX 100S but I think a used A7R III for around £1200 would be the best bang for buck. I'm currently looking at voitlander lenses for something a bit more interesting.

There is a lot to be said for this post, I think @Raymond Lin 's thought process is being skewed by teh fact that he has some Fuji Glass sitting about. Persoanlly I've end3ed up with one heighly portable solution (X100F with WCL option) and one larger ILC system. Avoiding duplication is the key for the best bang for buck. I too use the Fuji simulations in camera just to get an idea, but I always process the RAW file, and there are some great software film silms about.

I'm currently looking at voitlander lenses for something a bit more interesting.

If some manual glass with lovely colour rendition is on your list, then I'd recommend the Canon FD range - cost effective as well. I had quite a selection, but son has stolen it all to use on An A7IV for video work :)

I have also had this thought of trying some Fuji JPEGS to see for myself what they are really like…..so the newer bodies with more simulations might be fun?
For my motorsport work I shoot Raw and apply my own LR preset based on some of the Fuji film simulation profiles. But for general photography of travel, my wife, our dog etc I use the jpegs. I have my X-T4 set to shoot Raw to one card and jpeg to the other so I always have the choice of processing the Raw if I don't like the Jpeg film simulation I've picked. I love Classic Neg for general photography. One thing I've noticed with the Fuji Jpegs is they have massive potential for highlight and shadow recovery compared to my old Canon DSLR. Obviously not as much as a Raw but it's very impressive. A few lightly edited Fuji jpegs, either using an in camera film simulation recipe from Fuji X Weekly, or just the in camera profiles and some light tweaks in LR. All of these were edited in seconds on my phone from a camera jpeg. None of these have anything done to the colour at all, usually just some highlight, shadow and exposure adjustments.

2022_0524_11102900 (3).jpg

2022_0524_11125400 (2).jpg

2022_1006_08361100.jpg

2022_1006_14024200.jpg

2022_1008_10273400.jpg

Last edited:
Never understand this for non-time critical (speed) work, why not write RAW+JPG to each card, then you have a backup of each in the event of card failure.
I know it can happen but I've never had an SD card fail. Just makes sense to me to have one card doing each as the camera gives this option. For general photography I can transfer the jpegs to my phone using the Fuji app. I've got the Raw if I ever want to reprocess or use a different film simulation. If the card failed on either side then it's no great loss for general photography, I've still got usable files.

For motorsport work I suppose I should set it to record Raws to both cards.

Having some Fuji primes does skewed matters somewhat, it can be seen as luxury or distraction, the last thing i want, or the first thing i want to avoid is to have 2 full system running side by side. That makes no sense at all.

So i guess that means i have to stop buying more lenses in the fuji mount for this reason…..it doesn’t mean I can’t update my X-T1 to something better but i must not start collecting bodies, probably best trade that in for a used X-T4 max (see them at £900 now). Spending £1700 on a new Fuji body is the least logical thing to do.

I could justify a Sony A7R3, that actually would make an okay APSC camera, so putting an Anamorghic lens on would also work okay. I read that that would even work shooting in full frame but then crop in post to remove the vignetting. 42mp sensor for landscape, can use all my E-mount lenses too. If i get that then i wouldn’t get a new Fuji until the X-T4 drops even lower, which i think it will in the next 6 months. If shops are selling them at £900 now for a good condition one, that means they are buying them in for like £600 max.

A7R3 makes the most sense but my heart wants X-T4 lol

Last edited:
I know it can happen but I've never had an SD card fail. Just makes sense to me to have one card doing each as the camera gives this option. For general photography I can transfer the jpegs to my phone using the Fuji app. I've got the Raw if I ever want to reprocess or use a different film simulation. If the card failed on either side then it's no great loss for general photography, I've still got usable files.

For motorsport work I suppose I should set it to record Raws to both cards.
I've had failures, but due to a cheap nasty reader as opposed to in camera.

Canon R6

Sony A7 III
Sony A9
Sony A7R III

Currently have the A7 IV

If budget isn't an issue i'd be looking at the new A7RV or a GFX 100S but I think a used A7R III for around £1200 would be the best bang for buck. I'm currently looking at voigtlander lenses for something a bit more interesting.

Where can I et Fuji film simulation LR packs? free is there are any of these around?

I just want to try a few.

Back