The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Where can I et Fuji film simulation LR packs? free is there are any of these around?

I just want to try a few.
They're built in LR profiles, tied to the Raw file and camera model. They're not exactly the same as the Fuji in camera jpegs but 99% of the way there. There used to be a way to spoof the profile file to allow you to use it on older Fuji cameras that didn't have that film simulation built in but in later versions of LR it's been taken away.

Basically you'd need some Fuji Raw files from an X-T4, and then you'd have the film simulations that are available on that camera available in LR.

They're built in LR profiles, tied to the Raw file and camera model. They're not exactly the same as the Fuji in camera jpegs but 99% of the way there. There used to be a way to spoof the profile file to allow you to use it on older Fuji cameras that didn't have that film simulation built in but in later versions of LR it's been taken away.

Basically you'd need some Fuji Raw files from an X-T4, and then you'd have the film simulations that are available on that camera available in LR.

Oh, so I if I download a X-T5 RAW from online...say...here?

Then that unlocks it in LR and I can use it in all my other files?

Last edited:
Oh, so I if I download a X=T5 RAW from online...say...here?

No, you can only use it with X-T5 Raws. The LR profiles are just .XMP files, and within them is a string limiting them to only the models of Fuji camera with that film simulation. The .XMPs used to be user accessible, meaning you could open them up in Visual Studio, remove the string and then have them for all Fuji cameras. They now appear to be either completely hidden or within the actual application so you can't do this anymore.

So the X-T5 has the Nostalgic Negative simulation, and this would be available in LR with an X-T5 Raw file. But if I then opened an X-T4 Raw file I wouldn't be able to use this film simulation, as it's not available on the X-T4.

In the same way you don't see, for example, the various Canon profiles available when you open a Fuji Raw. They're all built into LR but you can only see those available on your model of camera.

Last edited:
Oh, so I if I download a X=T5 RAW from online...say...here?

Yes download some Fuji RAW's and you can access the Fujifilm sims built into LR.

Lot's of people have had a go at trying to copy them for use with other camera brands, here's a link to try for a Provia preset. The way to compare is to process the fuji raw in LR applying provia then try the preset downloaded from the link and compare the two results by switching between them, without even trying I know there's going to be a difference, not sure how much. You can obviously also try Sony, Canon, Nikon etc. files with the downloaded preset to get an idea of what's possible.

Last edited:
Never understand this for non-time critical (speed) work, why not write RAW+JPG to each card, then you have a backup of each in the event of card failure.
That's how I set mine up on both my X-T2s and GFXs it's the advantage of dual card slots IMO.

So I did some testing today of my lenses on the XH2 and XT5 as I had a bit of spare time.
Officially Fuji claim that these lenses work best.
View attachment 377041

So the list is:
Bearing in mind it is not a sunny California day, but a typical wintry UK grey day!!!

From my testing to date the following are OK/sharp on XT5 or XH2:
Samyang 8mm f2.8
Fuji 8-16mm f2.8
Fuji 14mm f2.8 - This really is a stellar lens, it may not be absolutely as sharp at the edges as I might like but the center and most of the way out it is crisp.
Fuji 10-24mm f4 (old)
Fuji 16mm f1.4 - This looks fine to me. Dont know why it isnt on the Fuji OK list but it may be just a tad less sharp than some of the other lenses.
Fuji 16-55mm f2.8
Fuji 50mm f2
Fuji 70-300mm f5.6
Fuji 35mm f1.4 - It may not be absolutely as sharp at the edges as I would like but the center and most of the way out it is crisp. The new 33mm f1.4 is probably the better lens.
Fuji 56mm f1.2
Fuji 80mm f2.8
Fuji 90mm f2.0
Fuji 50-140 f2.8
Fuji 100-400 f5.6

The following are not usable for 'best results', but obviously captures an image but in my opinion it looks soft:
Laowa 9mm f2.8
Fuji 15-45mm f3.5-5.6
Fuji 18mm f2.0
Fuji 27mm f2.8
Fuji 16-80mm f4
Fuji 60mm f2.8 Macro - I would use this for portraits on the XT5 and XH2 as then I wouldnt have to soften. I need to test this out in studio!!!
Fuji 18-55 f2.8-4
Fuji 18-135 f3.5-5.6
Fuji 55-200 f3.5-4.8

Still to test:
(+ = expected to be OK, x = expect to limit future use to 26MP cameras), and ?+ or ?x means I have no idea what will be the result.

I will probably retest the lenses on a bright and sunny day as the weather is not great today with periods of rain and general UK greyness!!

My most unexpected results were the little Samyang 8mm f2.8 actually delivering good results and the Fuji 14mm f2.8 whilst not be really crisp at the edges it is still very good most of the way to the edges.

Ok reassessment of the Samyang 8mm f2.8 against my Fuji 8-16mm.
Need to move the Samyang out of the OK/Sharp on XT5 or XH2 list and into the not usable for 'best results' list.
The straight comparison with the Fuji really shows it up as not being in the same league.

Ok reassessment of the Samyang 8mm f2.8 against my Fuji 8-16mm.
Need to move the Samyang out of the OK/Sharp on XT5 or XH2 list and into the not usable for 'best results' list.
The straight comparison with the Fuji really shows it up as not being in the same league.
Keep a hold of it until the Fuji 8mm comes out. I`d be interested in a comparison between those two :)

One of the pleasures of Dog ownership are those long walks in the country.
Yeah right ..!!
Put my faith in the Fuji weather resistance and packed the H2 with 18mm WR
Just jpegs here..bit of fun actually really enjoyed the outing.

The dog Walk-2 by Trevor, on Flickr

The dog Walk-8 by Trevor, on Flickr

Water on the lens
The dog Walk by Trevor, on Flickr

The dog Walk-5 by Trevor, on Flickr

The dog Walk-6 by Trevor, on Flickr

Serves you right for looking...
The dog Walk-7 by Trevor, on Flickr

For my motorsport work I shoot Raw and apply my own LR preset based on some of the Fuji film simulation profiles. But for general photography of travel, my wife, our dog etc I use the jpegs. I have my X-T4 set to shoot Raw to one card and jpeg to the other so I always have the choice of processing the Raw if I don't like the Jpeg film simulation I've picked. I love Classic Neg for general photography. One thing I've noticed with the Fuji Jpegs is they have massive potential for highlight and shadow recovery compared to my old Canon DSLR. Obviously not as much as a Raw but it's very impressive. A few lightly edited Fuji jpegs, either using an in camera film simulation recipe from Fuji X Weekly, or just the in camera profiles and some light tweaks in LR. All of these were edited in seconds on my phone from a camera jpeg. None of these have anything done to the colour at all, usually just some highlight, shadow and exposure adjustments.

View attachment 377375

View attachment 377376

View attachment 377377

View attachment 377378

View attachment 377379
Some great results there, nice collection.

Yeah right ..!!

Water on the lens

Nice set, Trev :)

I bet the dog was thinking.... Oh crap, he`s got the bloody camera again, and we`ll be ages out in this weather ;)

Yeah right ..!!

Water on the lens

Looking rather smug Trev, were you poaching ? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
How is the Viltrox? Torn between this or the 33mm, or the Fuji 23mm or 35mm f2. I have the Fuji 33mm f1.4 on loan at the moment and it's amazing but way out of my budget. I really like the 50mm equivalent focal length but feel the 23mm is more versatile. I can crop in to give the same view as the 33mm if I wanted to.
The 23mm f1.4 Viltrox is a really nice lens, I certainly would pick it up over the older Fuji f1.4 23mm now - although the new WR one is tempting me!

I’m using the Viltrox at the moment. Previously had the original Fuji 23 f1.4. If you’re choosing between these two. Save your cash and get the Viltrox. Personally I’m gonna get the new Fuji 23mm f1.4 LM. I don’t like the clickless aperture ring on the Viltrox. Too easy to move without noticing. Bloody expensive though. (The Fuji)

I know! I keep looking at the new 23mm and the 18mm f1.4 - my wallet might start crying!
So i've had the following;

X-T1, T2, T3, T4 H1, X100F + V
GFX 50S II (for about 14 days)

Canon R6

Sony A7 III
Sony A9
Sony A7R III

Currently have the A7 IV

The one I miss the most and rate highest is the A7R III

I've never really used SOOC Fuji jpeg's much because you can apply the fuji film sim to RAW's in LR and C1 in a couple of seconds but it's very handy to see what you're getting on the screen ie. I would try classic chrome and Pro Neg at vintage car shows to see what suited a particular car, obviously if processing the RAW later you can choose any of the sims.
Have I missed the Fuji sims since going back to Sony ? Not at all because i've now started processing with either DXO film pack 6 or ON1 effects 19 and personally my favourite look at the moment is Kodak Ekta but I can access the Fuji sims (or very close) via those software programmes. Software continues to move the goal posts and you can emulate almost anything these days with any camera.

If budget isn't an issue i'd be looking at the new A7RV or a GFX 100S but I think a used A7R III for around £1200 would be the best bang for buck. I'm currently looking at voigtlander lenses for something a bit more interesting.

Its incredible how old the A7R3 actually is and yet how good it still is, I keep thinking I had one a couple of years ago but its actually more like 6 years ago I had it!
I do miss mine, the combination with the Loxia lenses for me (21/35) was a really nice compact set with IQ and usability that's hard to beat, those Voigtlander's are lovely too, I briefly had the 65mm which I'd probably look at again and I know there's a lot of the love for the 40mm as well.

In some respects the A7r3 and the Loxia lenses gave me the closest feeling to using a Fuji body and primes.

The 23mm f1.4 Viltrox is a really nice lens, I certainly would pick it up over the older Fuji f1.4 23mm now - although the new WR one is tempting me!

I know! I keep looking at the new 23mm and the 18mm f1.4 - my wallet might start crying!

Its incredible how old the A7R3 actually is and yet how good it still is, I keep thinking I had one a couple of years ago but its actually more like 6 years ago I had it!
I do miss mine, the combination with the Loxia lenses for me (21/35) was a really nice compact set with IQ and usability that's hard to beat, those Voigtlander's are lovely too, I briefly had the 65mm which I'd probably look at again and I know there's a lot of the love for the 40mm as well.

In some respects the A7r3 and the Loxia lenses gave me the closest feeling to using a Fuji body and primes.
Chris the 18mm f1.4 is super. I’ve got the 23mm Fuji LM on the way Like you I’ve had the A7R3. Still a top camera.

A trip to the coast on New Years day saw a few out for their traditional swim in Hornsea, but after picking up some chips we drove down to Withernsea for a more sedate walk down the beach. This guy certainly seemed to be enjoying his day on a strangely mild 1st January fishing expedition!

Shot on the Xpro2 and XF30mm f2.8

Withernsea New Years Day '23 by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Chris the 18mm f1.4 is super. I’ve got the 23mm Fuji LM on the way Like you I’ve had the A7R3. Still a top camera.

I always liked the "old" 18mm, it just was never a "great" lens - its funny I've spent years (mostly) buying smaller camera gear and now I'm looking at having an XH2 with two if its larger sized primes (and a Viltrox 75mm) - its almost DSLR sized!

I want the Viltrox 75/1.2....looks tasty.

The reviews look really good, the Viltrox stuff really is knocking it out of the park at the moment
Me too. I made contact. Probably sometime in February.

Ah thats good to know I dropped a note but hadn't seen a reply yet, I did read that the initial stock via Viltrox directly was a really small amount

Correct. I’m only gonna buy what I NEED

Apart from any alcohol induced late night purchases of course…hic..

My 2023 list consists of

1) Tiffen Black ProMist 1/8 filter
2) A couple of new memory cards for the GFX

Lets see how far I get before adding something else :)

Fortunately I hardly drink so won't be making any alcohol fueled purchases - which obviously means I have one less excuse..............................

My 2023 list consists of

Fortunately I hardly drink so won't be making any alcohol fueled purchases - which obviously means I have one less excuse..............................
Impressive restraint on show there.

Meanwhile @trevorbray has already pre-ordered the XT6, XH3 and GFX 60S

Well the 33mm f/1.4 loaner has been picked up and is on its way back to Fujifilm. Absolutely loved having this lens for a couple of weeks over Christmas. Went for a good walk yesterday to start the year so had to take it along since it was my last day with it. All camera jpegs in either Classic Chrome or Velvia with some light tweaks in LR. I'd be interested to try the 23mm lens to see if I preferred the wider focal length.

2023_0102_13302000.jpg2023_0102_13242100.jpg2023_0102_13393000.jpg2023_0102_13394500.jpg2023_0102_13501300.jpg

Last edited:
My 2023 list consists of

FYI, I found B&H in New York sells the Tiffen cheaper than Amazon UK, even with tax and shipping included. By like 30%. I think I will order a 77mm from there this week.

I'm back (or at least I will be soon). Most likely you haven't missed me though :ROFLMAO:.

I had a brief flirtation with an X-S10 (my first Fuji ICL camera) about 2 years ago, and whilst I very much enjoyed using it, I was suffering from a pang of regret of selling my previous Canon 77D. I ended up buying another 77D before earlier this year flogging all my ILC kit for a Panasonic FZ2000 on the basis of believing I wanted (mostly) one device for all things. However, I now regret that decision - not buying the FZ - it does a fine job as a one stop shop in good light, but looking back through my photos I've come to realise how good the X-S10 was/is both for IQ and handling.
After much deliberation over a multitude of APSC options, The X-S10 has won out again and I've ordered a new X-S10 which hopefully will be here soon. I'll be following this thread (and hopefully posting) more avidly for tips/tricks and guidance, and aspiring match some of the fantastic shots that you folks post here.

Back