The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I'm late to the party but is the X-T30II a dick move by Fuji? Effectively paying lots of cash for a firmware upgrade? I'd be much more likely to keep buying glass for my current x-t30 body if I had a bump in focus speed and face/eye detect

It is a bit more than a firmware upgrade. However if like me you have the XT30 it is most likely not worth moving up.
However it has made a long wait for the XT40.

What could be added by a firmware upgrade has been given to the XT30.

Surely the X-S10 is the X-T40?

I am interested to see if Fuji continue with their top of the range sensors in their mid-level bodies.

Finally got out with the camera again. This time a quick trip to Langford Lakes, and 30 minutes in one of the hides produced a mixed bag of perching birds.....

Robin 2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Dunnock by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Chaffinch 2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Blue Tit 2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

All shot on the T3 with the 100-400 + 1.4TC at 1600 ISO.

I've now got a full time job again (start in March) so opportunities are not going to come so easily for a while.

Finally got out with the camera again. This time a quick trip to Langford Lakes, and 30 minutes in one of the hides produced a mixed bag of perching birds.....

I've now got a full time job again (start in March) so opportunities are not going to come so easily for a while.
Excellent results and a fantastic mix of birds.
Ps. Congratulations on the new job.

Great set of images Steve, loving the Blue Tit shot.

Great set of images Steve, loving the Blue Tit shot.

Thanks Dave. The trip was quite important for me, as for a few years now my wife would ask "What's that bird?" when she heard a call, but I couldn't hear it at all. So some months ago I had a hearing test and I had lost quite a bit of the higher frequencies, which is why I couldn't hear the birds. So, on Wednesday I picked up some hearing aids and the trip to the lakes was to see (or hear) if I had regained the ability to hear the birds calling. The joy to hear the birds again was wonderful.

It is a double edged sword though.... I can now hear squeaks & rattles in my car that weren't present until this week :rolleyes: and trying to have a conversation in a busy cafe is difficult. I still can't hear the wife, apparently :LOL:

Thanks Dave. The trip was quite important for me, as for a few years now my wife would ask "What's that bird?" when she heard a call, but I couldn't hear it at all. So some months ago I had a hearing test and I had lost quite a bit of the higher frequencies, which is why I couldn't hear the birds. So, on Wednesday I picked up some hearing aids and the trip to the lakes was to see (or hear) if I had regained the ability to hear the birds calling. The joy to hear the birds again was wonderful.

It is a double edged sword though.... I can now hear squeaks & rattles in my car that weren't present until this week :rolleyes: and trying to have a conversation in a busy cafe is difficult. I still can't hear the wife, apparently :LOL:
Every cloud and all that..

Viltrox 75 now in stock.

I've been a little quiet on the photography front lately but last week I did something that I've been meaning to do for ages and picked up a 100-400mm lens. Main reason was for local wildlife which is a fairly new genre for me but I've taken more interest since moving to sticks a couple of years ago. Particularly in a couple of local barn owls that I see from time to time. My 50-140, even with 1.4x just wasn't cutting it. A big appeal of having a longer lens was also to open up some new options in terms of landscapes which is my normal arena.

But.... I have to admit, I just didn't appreciate how big the 100-400mm lens is. It's been a long time since I've had a lens like this and I'm starting to think I might have made an error. I really like the reach and IQ seems good but I just cannot see me carrying this anywhere. I bought it used for a reasonable price so I have a chance to persevere for a little while and if it's still not working, I can probably get most of my money back selling it on again so I'll not rush any decision but I did wonder if anyone had used this and a 70-300mm? I initially didn't opt for that lens because I wanted the reach but looking at the numbers for the two lenses I can see that the 70-300mm is far smaller and lighter and that might make it much more suitable for me. In fact, for landscape, it could sit in my bag instead of my 50-140. And it seems to do a good impression of a macro lens as well. But how limiting would 70-300 be for wildlife? I have a 1.4x TC as well.

I've been a little quiet on the photography front lately but last week I did something that I've been meaning to do for ages and picked up a 100-400mm lens. Main reason was for local wildlife which is a fairly new genre for me but I've taken more interest since moving to sticks a couple of years ago. Particularly in a couple of local barn owls that I see from time to time. My 50-140, even with 1.4x just wasn't cutting it. A big appeal of having a longer lens was also to open up some new options in terms of landscapes which is my normal arena.

But.... I have to admit, I just didn't appreciate how big the 100-400mm lens is. It's been a long time since I've had a lens like this and I'm starting to think I might have made an error. I really like the reach and IQ seems good but I just cannot see me carrying this anywhere. I bought it used for a reasonable price so I have a chance to persevere for a little while and if it's still not working, I can probably get most of my money back selling it on again so I'll not rush any decision but I did wonder if anyone had used this and a 70-300mm? I initially didn't opt for that lens because I wanted the reach but looking at the numbers for the two lenses I can see that the 70-300mm is far smaller and lighter and that might make it much more suitable for me. In fact, for landscape, it could sit in my bag instead of my 50-140. And it seems to do a good impression of a macro lens as well. But how limiting would 70-300 be for wildlife? I have a 1.4x TC as well.

My ability to carry heavy gear is pretty reduced to what it used to be. I do however manage the T3 & 100-400 for a few hours while at local wildlife reserves. Even with the 1.4TC it is a great lens and it's all I have for wildlife. At one time I had a 6D + 70-200 f2.8 & a 7D2 + 150-600 and I carried that all day... My main interest is wildlife, and a 300 is too short for birds unless they're bigger than pigeons, or you are a very short distance away in a hide. 400mm is the shortest I can go for garden birds, and usually have the TC on, even when shooting the birds on my feeders.

I find it difficult to crop my bird shots if I shoot at under 400mm. If they don't fill 2/3 of the frame, then sharpness seems to fall off.

I was having just that quandary this morning - and had both virtually mounted on an X-T2 on camerasize.com. I also came to the conclusion that the 100-400 was too big for me (and particularly my camera bag, which only just about manages a 50-140). The 70-300 looked like a good bet.
My ability to carry heavy gear is pretty reduced to what it used to be. I do however manage the T3 & 100-400 for a few hours while at local wildlife reserves. Even with the 1.4TC it is a great lens and it's all I have for wildlife. At one time I had a 6D + 70-200 f2.8 & a 7D2 + 150-600 and I carried that all day... My main interest is wildlife, and a 300 is too short for birds unless they're bigger than pigeons, or you are a very short distance away in a hide. 400mm is the shortest I can go for garden birds, and usually have the TC on, even when shooting the birds on my feeders.

I find it difficult to crop my bird shots if I shoot at under 400mm. If they don't fill 2/3 of the frame, then sharpness seems to fall off.
However, I expect that this is the answer I did not want to hear...

Cheers. I think the trouble for me is that birds/wildlife is only ever likely to be a small part of my photography. So even though a large dedicated lens for those trips would be okay, I probably need something that does more than just that otherwise it will likely gather dust.

Recieved my Viltrox 75mm f1.2 today! Going to take it out in a bit for a few test snaps, much bigger than I realised it was though! Seems nicely build though!
Sounds good. My initial enthusiasm has waned slightly. I’m thinking the 90mm does a good enough job. Although the lure of f1.2 is still there..

Sounds good. My initial enthusiasm has waned slightly. I’m thinking the 90mm does a good enough job. Although the lure of f1.2 is still there..

I really picked it up as a "longer" than 55mm option - I've never really liked 90mm and didn't think that 56mm was different enough (although I appreciate its faster than the 16-55).

Evening all. Just in case anyone has a black x-t20 they’re looking to sell, i have a wanted post for one

Back