The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Have you looked at these?

Yes, but because there are so many and the initial sample images are mostly nature - I searched elsewhere for recipes based on photos with people that I liked.

I will keep coming back to the fujixweekly list.

Last edited:
arrived today, will have a good look through recipes .. not decided to just just shoot jpg though hmm
If you're happy to shoot Raw then you can make a quick edit to some files in either LR or C1 and access film simulations that aren't available on your camera model. I'm experimenting with Nostalgic Negative on my X-T4 Raw files at the moment and really liking the results. Unfortunately it's impossible to do in camera but modifying the LR profile seems to work pretty well.

If you're happy to shoot Raw then you can make a quick edit to some files in either LR or C1 and access film simulations that aren't available on your camera model. I'm experimenting with Nostalgic Negative on my X-T4 Raw files at the moment and really liking the results. Unfortunately it's impossible to do in camera but modifying the LR profile seems to work pretty well.

Well I've disable raw just now, loaded up with 7 film recipes and when I'm feeling better.. i'll go somewhere and shoot something other than Yuffie

Yuffie by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Yuffie by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

think i might have to add Lightroom to my workflow still though instead of trying to upload jpgs straight from the card :D

arrived today, will have a good look through recipes .. not decided to just just shoot jpg though hmm

I have a real problem with the film simulations (and in camera JPGs) and only use them as a guide in camera - I always convert the RAW file in post.

My 'problem' is that while they might work looking in one direction, turning round where the light is now completely altered often gives dramtically different results. Digital does not have the highlight roll-off that film does, therefore we are always concious of over-exposing in digital so often the shadow areas appear dark in the JPGs. We often rely on a selective shadow pull up in post), so for me the JPGs just don't work as an adjusted recipe is too compromised in its application. Whilst they might work on the odd image, they don't work well enough in all scenarios for me.

A darkroom printer would often dodge and burn areas of the image to get what they want, we are only doing the same by processing the RAW.

I do use an Acros simulation often when I'm out so that I can see the tones in the image.

I'd love to get the results I want from the in-camera JPGs (and for them to be repeatable) as it would save time sat in front of a computer,

Last edited:
I have a real problem with the film simulations (and in camera JPGs) and only use them as a guide in camera - I always convert the RAW file in post.

My 'problem' is that while they might work looking in one direction, turning round where the light is now completely altered often gives dramtically different results. Digital does not have the highlight roll-off that film does, therefore we are always concious of over-exposing in digital so often the shadow areas appear dark in the JPGs. We often rely on a selective shadow pull up in post), so for me the JPGs just don't work as an adjusted recipe is too compromised in its application. Whilst they might work on the odd image, they don't work well enough in all scenarios for me.

A darkroom printer would often dodge and burn areas of teh image to get what they want, we are only doing teh same by processing teh RAW.

I do use an Acros simulation often when I'm out so that I can see the tones in the image.

I'd love to get the results I want from the in-camera JPGs (and for them to be repeatable) as it would save time sat in front of a computer,
I do agree with this, a Raw is always more flexible. One thing I will say from almost a year of Fuji shooting is that the highlight and shadow recovery potential in a Jpeg is absolutely amazing. I am trying to use film simulation recipes but then I always end up loading the Raw in LR anyway and processing it completely differently. I suppose its nice the have the choice.

I do agree with this, a Raw is always more flexible. One thing I will say from almost a year of Fuji shooting is that the highlight and shadow recovery potential in a Jpeg is absolutely amazing. I am trying to use film simulation recipes but then I always end up loading the Raw in LR anyway and processing it completely differently. I suppose its nice the have the choice.

The JPG has a quite a bit less data, so the recovery adjustment will never be as flexible. The shadows are definitely more recoverable in Fuji cameras than the highlights, but you cannot recover the black cat out of the coal hole!!! The best recovery always relies on a properly exposed image. There is a huge amount of data in the RAW files - my view is that you've paid for this, why not use it! (conversely you could argue that you've paid for bthe JPG simulations......)

The JPG has a quite a bit less data, so the recovery adjustment will never be as flexible. The shadows are definitely more recoverable in Fuji cameras than the highlights, but you cannot recover the black cat out of the coal hole!!! The best recovery always relies on a properly exposed image. There is a huge amount of data in the RAW files - my view is that you've paid for this, why not use it! (conversely you could argue that you've paid for bthe JPG simulations......)
I think the same, why pay all that money for a real camera and then not use its full potential? But, if I'm using the camera on holiday, a day out, a walk etc, then I'll generally just use the phone app to transfer the jpegs across, do some very minor tweaks in LR and use them almost straight away. The camera always records a Raw and a jpeg so if there's anything I really need to do massive shadow or highlight recovery on, or I want to use a different film sim then I always have the option. Why the app doesn't allow you to transfer Raw files if you wish is beyond me. I know it would take ages but at least give me the choice.

One thing I love about Fuji is that we have the flexibility to shoot jpegs almost SOOC and still get great images. I can't think of another camera brand where you could do that quite so easily.

I'm happy to just use JPG and film simulation (for now) because it's a different approach to how I use my other cameras and maybe that'll teach me something new.

When shooting film you'd choose the film stock before you take the photo, maybe there's something to be learned from that creatively.

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I've been experimenting in Lightroom with the new Nostalgic Negative film simulation on my X-T4 Raw files. I really like the look of this for travel and holiday photography, nice and warm without going mad on the colours. I think I'm going to be using this a lot this year. For anyone with an X-H2 or X-T5 I'd be interested to know how close this is to the actual Fuji in camera film simulation.

DSCF4329.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF5817.jpg

DSCF4302.jpg

DSCF2056.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4329.jpg
    DSCF4329.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I've been experimenting in Lightroom with the new Nostalgic Negative film simulation on my X-T4 Raw files. I really like the look of this for travel and holiday photography, nice and warm without going mad on the colours. I think I'm going to be using this a lot this year. For anyone with an X-H2 or X-T5 I'd be interested to know how close this is to the actual Fuji in camera film simulation.

View attachment 383230

View attachment 383233
Isn't that Rovinj in Croatia - went there a few years ago when we stayed at Pula. A beautiful little town.

Isn't that Rovinj in Croatia - went there a few years ago when we stayed at Pula. A beautiful little town.
It is, we went on holiday there last May. As you say an absolutely beautiful place, somewhere I'll definitely head back to before long.

Given a limited budget ( ie what I can sell my m43 gear for ), would you buy a x-t20 or would you spend another £100 on a x-t30 ?

The main jump from X-T20 to X-T30 is in autofocus, so depending on how important that is to you should help with your decision.

How might I find this in LR please @RichardC27 ?
Is it only for RAW files or only for a specific Fuji body? or could I use it in develop module on some X100V JPGs?
There's a guide here:

Although the Fuji profiles are in a different location now which I'll have to let you know tomorrow when I can get to my LR PC.

Basically you make a very small edit to the XML file to remove the camera restriction, and then the film simulation is available for RAW files from any Fuji camera., regardless of whether it actually has that film simulation or not. You do have to shoot Raw and then apply it afterwards in LR, you can't use it on jpegs as the film simulation is fixed for them.

too early to say, I haven't been anywhere with it - I'm left thinking maybe my life is not cool enough for Fuji.

You look very hipster with the beard though ;)

On the other news, too slow on the X-pro2! One turned up in LCE Newcastle but by the time in enquired it, it’s gone.

(Although it looks to be bare minimum, body and didn’t state a box and accessories)

How might I find this in LR please @RichardC27 ?
Is it only for RAW files or only for a specific Fuji body? or could I use it in develop module on some X100V JPGs?
So for Lightroom CC the Fuji profiles are here (obviously sub the drive letter for the correct one on your PC).I think it's similar for LR Classic.

F:\Lightroom CC\Adobe Lightroom CC\Resources\Settings\Adobe\Profiles\Camera\Fujifilm

Follow the guide in the link I posted yesterday to edit the XML file for the X-T5 Nostalgic Neg profile and it should appear in LR for you. It also syncs through to all the mobile apps as well once you've made this change.

This works for any Fuji camera. I can use Classic Neg on Raw files from my wife's X-T100 using this method as well.

Was the A1 but had to sale as needed the money lol thought i would give the h2s a go next len will be the 150-600 i think or 30mm macro

Well I’ve had a lot of umming and erring this last week about a x-t20 or x-t30, read loads of articles and bored myself on YouTube.

Searching for a 30 at a “decent” price has proved difficult. They seem to start at £500-ish and up to £650 and, to be honest, that doesn’t always bring one in great condition.

I decided last night that perhaps I was pushing my finances too much for a travel camera / car show camera where subjects will be static and in good light usually so hopefully the AF won’t be an issue.

So I’ve gone for an X-T20 which appears to be in fantastic condition from MPB for £400 which was what I really wanted to spend when I sold my m43 gear. I’ve also bought a Viltrox 23 f1.4 and 33 f1.4 to start with and might add the 18 f2 in a month or two..

Next week a new journey starts with Fuji

Well I’ve had a lot of umming and erring this last week about a x-t20 or x-t30, read loads of articles and bored myself on YouTube.

Searching for a 30 at a “decent” price has proved difficult. They seem to start at £500-ish and up to £650 and, to be honest, that doesn’t always bring one in great condition.

I decided last night that perhaps I was pushing my finances too much for a travel camera / car show camera where subjects will be static and in good light usually so hopefully the AF won’t be an issue.

So I’ve gone for an X-T20 which appears to be in fantastic condition from MPB for £400 which was what I really wanted to spend when I sold my m43 gear. I’ve also bought a Viltrox 23 f1.4 and 33 f1.4 to start with and might add the 18 f2 in a month or two..

Good call.

Good choice. I've just purchased the X-T30 but am waiting for a lens to arrive!

There's a guide here:

Although the Fuji profiles are in a different location now which I'll have to let you know tomorrow when I can get to my LR PC.

Basically you make a very small edit to the XML file to remove the camera restriction, and then the film simulation is available for RAW files from any Fuji camera., regardless of whether it actually has that film simulation or not. You do have to shoot Raw and then apply it afterwards in LR, you can't use it on jpegs as the film simulation is fixed for them.

So for Lightroom CC the Fuji profiles are here (obviously sub the drive letter for the correct one on your PC).I think it's similar for LR Classic.

F:\Lightroom CC\Adobe Lightroom CC\Resources\Settings\Adobe\Profiles\Camera\Fujifilm

Follow the guide in the link I posted yesterday to edit the XML file for the X-T5 Nostalgic Neg profile and it should appear in LR for you. It also syncs through to all the mobile apps as well once you've made this change.

This works for any Fuji camera. I can use Classic Neg on Raw files from my wife's X-T100 using this method as well.

Thanks will take a proper look at this - BUT, I don’t shoot RAW so might be that I have to take some new snaps in RAW to test it out.

(the last time I shot in RAW was my old Canon 40D and was totally underwhelmed so didn’t bother again on any camera since)

Interesting read regarding the 26 vs 40mp debate. Once again it seems like LR is not really interested in Fuji files.

Back