The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Advice wanted please!

I've got an X-H1 and a few lenses. My other half has recently invested in an XT-30II body and stolen my XF35mm f2...

So, in terms of options, I could either buy her an XC35mm f2 thand take the XF back, or get myself a viltrox 33mm f 1.4, a sigma 30mm or go the whole hog and get the xf33mm f1.4.

Any thoughts gratefully received!
Keep the xf 35 f2 with the x-t30 they were made each other and treat yourself to the 35 lens you want for your body

Advice wanted please!

I've got an X-H1 and a few lenses. My other half has recently invested in an XT-30II body and stolen my XF35mm f2...

So, in terms of options, I could either buy her an XC35mm f2 thand take the XF back, or get myself a viltrox 33mm f 1.4, a sigma 30mm or go the whole hog and get the xf33mm f1.4.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

I'm a big fan of the Sigma trio, they're crazy good. I can't understand how they're so cheap, and why more people on here aren't obsessed with them.

I'd either go with the XC if she doesn't mind the cheaper housing, or go with the Sigma.

I am tempted by the 33mm I must admit. The cheapest route is clearly the XC35 f2, but it seems a good opportunity for an upgrade...I like the idea of getting her to switch to another brand :p.
I had the 33mm f/1.4 on loan over Christmas and it's exceptional. Very expensive but worth it. Built like a tank and the image quality is superb

Hi all - I’ve taken the long journey over from thefretboard dot co.uk to here via a recommendation from a mutual member.

I’m looking for my first mirror less after a many year long break from anything approaching decent photography- last time I shot anything was on a 5D Mk2 / Nikon D50.

In any case, research has lead me to Fuji X cameras but I have arrived at option paralysis. I’m after a compact, single camera solution for holidays and hikes. And I’m on a tight budget - £500 is really pushing it.

I’ve landed on used X-T1, X-T20, X-E2. Right now I’m trying to consider whether the weather resistance of the X-T1 is worth the increase in size of the smaller cameras.

I’m also unsure whether the X-T10 is decent, or whether I should plump for the 20 for more future proofness.

I’m only interested in a few lenses; pancake style for compactness and maybe a kit/zoom lens in the future.

If it goes well I would consider getting an M1 for as cheap as possible for mountain bike rides (so it doesn’t matter if it breaks!)

So, for the first camera, what should I get? I’m leaning towards the X-T20. But my overanalyses of this has meant I’ve lost all perspective and I change my mind daily. I was initially leaning toward the X-T1 for WR; then the X-E2 for compactness until I learned it’s not very glasses-friendly - so now the X-T10/20 is leading the charge.

Help! :)

Hi Chris, and welcome to the house of fooji fun :)

XT-2`s can be had used for less than £500 (MPB and WEX have a bunch). That would be my recommendation But a bit bigger but has IBIS, is the XH-1, at similar pricing.

Last edited:
@colourofsound I’ve just got an x-t20 after coming from an Olympus e-m1 mark 2. My reason was that I wanted a small body that I could sling in a jacket pocket and have with me more..

I don’t have big hands so it suits me perfectly, I’m just taking a while to set it up to my tastes and preferences..

@damianmkv Thats exactly what I’m after really. Compact size but top quality.

Is weather resistance/sealing a deal-breaker? Surely even cameras like the T20 can take fine rain in short bursts if you get caught…?

Are you buying a WR lens? If so then yes a WR body is probably worth it, but if your budget doesn't allow for WR both, then it doesn't really matter!

I know that it is off message, but I would take a very serious look at the Panasonic LX100 either Mk I or II.

I would be leaning towards the X-T20 for the faster autofocus.

Although if you are mainly planning to use a pancake lens, also consider the X100 family, as their pancake lens is built in, it is able to be a lot more compact, than even a small body plus pancake lens. It is my goto for slinging in my hydration pack for MTB photography.

No Fuji is gonna be truly pocketable. You might be able to squeeze it in there but it won't feel good.

The size difference between X-Tx and X-Tx0 is minimal, weather sealing and EVF size are the important distinguishers. Autofocus gets better each generation, but is perfectly capable on the X-T1. I only upgraded from mine last year.

The X-Tx and X-Tx0 range are lumpy, and are gonna be tough to get in and out of anything but the largest of pockets. The X-E2 might be better in that regard - matched with a pancake is probably the closest you'll get to pocketable.

The x100 range are about the same, but are massively overinflated price-wise at the moment.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just grab a Sony RX100 of the latest generation I could afford. They're a far better option for a pocket camera.

No Fuji is gonna be truly pocketable. You might be able to squeeze it in there but it won't feel good.

The size difference between X-Tx and X-Tx0 is minimal, weather sealing and EVF size are the important distinguishers. Autofocus gets better each generation, but is perfectly capable on the X-T1. I only upgraded from mine last year.

The X-Tx and X-Tx0 range are lumpy, and are gonna be tough to get in and out of anything but the largest of pockets. The X-E2 might be better in that regard - matched with a pancake is probably the closest you'll get to pocketable.

The x100 range are about the same, but are massively overinflated price-wise at the moment.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just grab a Sony RX100 of the latest generation I could afford. They're a far better option for a pocket camera.
‘Pocketable’ is maybe a little misleading - I generally carry around a small satchel so something like that.

I’ve considered other fixed lens cameras but don’t really fancy them; picture quality is not *that* different from iPhone at the price I could get an RX100 for; and in any case it’s just not as nice an object as a Fuji interchangeable camera.

It’s as much about starting a new hobby and having a nice device with some manual control as it is a compact camera that takes better/more characterful pics than a smartphone

I would be leaning towards the X-T20 for the faster autofocus.

Although if you are mainly planning to use a pancake lens, also consider the X100 family, as their pancake lens is built in, it is able to be a lot more compact, than even a small body plus pancake lens. It is my goto for slinging in my hydration pack for MTB photography.
X100s are far too expensive at the moment; especially for something that might get smashed in a bail! That’s why I’m considering the X-M1 as an MTB cam, with a TTArtisan or similar lens. But that’s after getting something more serious like the X-T20

‘Pocketable’ is maybe a little misleading - I generally carry around a small satchel so something like that.

I’ve considered other fixed lens cameras but don’t really fancy them; picture quality is not *that* different from iPhone at the price I could get an RX100 for; and in any case it’s just not as nice an object as a Fuji interchangeable camera.

It’s as much about starting a new hobby and having a nice device with some manual control as it is a compact camera that takes better/more characterful pics than a smartphone
Had a little look around, and found these...

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifilm-x-t20-digital-camera-body-silver-used-3096188/ £360

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/product/fujifilm-xf-27mm-f-2-8/sku-1894078 £239

https://www.parkcameras.com/used/lenses/fujifilm/used-fujifilm-xc-35mm-f2/ £149

Just to give you an idea :)

I’m considering a faulty one from MPB.

I emailed Fuji support, I have in writing that it’s a flat fee of £130 to repair any fault on that model.

Potentially, for £284 in total I could get a repaired X-T20 with 12 months Fuji warranty. Food for thought.
That`ll be a bloody good deal then (y)

As anyone used the 1.4 tc on the 70-300, If so what is it like?
The GAS in me says get a 150-600 or the 100-400 but not sure how much I would use it and I know I wouldnt take it everywhere beacuse of the weight.
I think @saltireblue has that combo.

I have a 100-400, and admittedly don`t use it that much, but would miss it if I didn`t have it.

Know what you mean had a couple of 100-400 over the years but never used them that much and if I got another one would probaly be the same.
Yep.... always want wider than you have, and longer lol 80mm macro is my longest after that.

Any opinions on this? https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifilm-xc-15-45mm-f3-5-5-6-ois-pz-lens-black-used-3096651/

Reviews say it’s cheap, plasticy, but good optics. Looks nice and compact.
I got one and the optics for the price are good biggest drawback for most people is that it’s a power zoom which are fiddly to you get use to them. Like you said build quality is a bit crap but used mine on X-E2 infa-red body for over a year now with no problems. Depending if the wide angle is important to you other option would be the 18-55 used?

I got one and the optics for the price are good biggest drawback for most people is that it’s a power zoom which are fiddly to you get use to them. Like you said build quality is a bit crap but used mine on X-E2 infa-red body for over a year now with no problems. Depending if the wide angle is important to you other option would be the 18-55 used?
At the moment its all about size and cost. This looks compact and cheap! At this point its becoming a challenge to get a nice Fooji setup for as little as humanly possible :)

Last edited:
At the moment its all about size and cost. This looks compact and cheap! At this point its becoming a challenge to get a nice Fooji setup for as little as humanly possible :)

Cheap lenses are XC15-45 and XC16-50 - there are Mk1 and Mk2 versions of teh latter. Both are zooms, the XC15-45 is a power zoom, the XC16-50 is larger and a manual zoom. Both are good optically, as is all Fuji glass, but are of plastic build as opposed to the XF lenses which are metal construction.

I think @saltireblue has that combo.

I have a 100-400, and admittedly don`t use it that much, but would miss it if I didn`t have it.
I had the 70-300 for a while, but never in combo with the 1.4 I was considering getting the extender, but sold the lens on...

Thats my dilema to an extent I could sell the 70-300 and for the price a t/c would cost I could get a 100-400.

I've told you before to get a GFX, then you wouldn't have these long reach choices (as they don't exist), saves money and GAS in the long run.......................... so I keep telling myself :ROFLMAO:

Thats my dilema to an extent I could sell the 70-300 and for the price a t/c would cost I could get a 100-400.

Apparently the long end of the 100-400 is the weakest. From what I've heard, the 1.4x and 70-300 is excellent, but the 2x is not. If you're looking for the occasional bit of extra reach, you're probably better off with the TC.

I've told you before to get a GFX, then you wouldn't have these long reach choices (as they don't exist), saves money and GAS in the long run.......................... so I keep telling myself :ROFLMAO:

But shooting birds in the garden isn't as easy with a GFX. I'd have to be in a hide about 1m away!!

Back