The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Question to other Fuji X-S10 or later model users.

When i half press the shutter button, the screen gets like brighter? It's like someone increase the exposure by about 1/3rd a stop.

(my Exp comp is at 0)

Does this happen with anyone else?

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I have been browsing this page for the last few months and am really impressed with the quality of the images being produced with the Fuji gear.
I have been using Olympus m4/3 gear for a number of years now but am becoming more frustrated with the additional noise I’m experiencing especially with low light photography plus being restricted to around 20mp, I don’t find this too much of an issue for landscapes but for my wildlife photography once I start cropping I’m not left with much to play with.
Having looked into the Fuji range of cameras I’m considering the Fuji xh2, firstly the increase in sensor size appeals as Im hoping this will help with the low light issues I’m experiencing, plus the better quality of the bokeh, I’ve always had a passion for beautiful subject separation and blurred background, this is something I’m really struggling with on m4/3s.
Also the increase in mp appeals for the cropping ability and the extra detail in landscape shots.
Apologies for the extra long post, I guess in the end I’m asking would you guys recommend the xh2 or is there something I’m missing with making the switch to Fuji from Olympus.
I would be looking at adding the 100-400mm for wildlife/ a standard zoom with lowish aperture and a 50mm equivalent prime as my current go to is my 25mm 1.7 on Olympus.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I have been browsing this page for the last few months and am really impressed with the quality of the images being produced with the Fuji gear.
I have been using Olympus m4/3 gear for a number of years now but am becoming more frustrated with the additional noise I’m experiencing especially with low light photography plus being restricted to around 20mp, I don’t find this too much of an issue for landscapes but for my wildlife photography once I start cropping I’m not left with much to play with.
Having looked into the Fuji range of cameras I’m considering the Fuji xh2, firstly the increase in sensor size appeals as Im hoping this will help with the low light issues I’m experiencing, plus the better quality of the bokeh, I’ve always had a passion for beautiful subject separation and blurred background, this is something I’m really struggling with on m4/3s.
Also the increase in mp appeals for the cropping ability and the extra detail in landscape shots.
Apologies for the extra long post, I guess in the end I’m asking would you guys recommend the xh2 or is there something I’m missing with making the switch to Fuji from Olympus.
I would be looking at adding the 100-400mm for wildlife/ a standard zoom with lowish aperture and a 50mm equivalent prime as my current go to is my 25mm 1.7 on Olympus.
Many thanks

I think you need to be britally honest about what you are trying to acheive. If you are using 400mm on the Olympus then at 400mm on the Fuji you will be cropping more, so the increase in resolution is not going to be so beneficial. If you want much better low light performance and better bokeh, you really need to be considering a full frame solution, this might not be as spendy as you think, as 50mm F1.8 FF will cost you a lot less than the 33mm F1.4 from Fuji,.

There are lots of wildlfe shooter who love M43 and have found with a decent noise reduction package, they can achieve the results that they require.

I suggest that you consider what is really important here (and include weight and weather resistance as well).

My gut feeling based on your post, is that a switch to Fuji isn't going to give you everything that you want.

When i half press the shutter button, the screen gets like brighter? It's like someone increase the exposure by about 1/3rd a stop.

(my Exp comp is at 0)

When I had my X-S10 that never happened to me.

Many thanks

I think you need to be britally honest about what you are trying to acheive. If you are using 400mm on the Olympus then at 400mm on the Fuji you will be cropping more, so the increase in resolution is not going to be so beneficial. If you want much better low light performance and better bokeh, you really need to be considering a full frame solution, this might not be as spendy as you think, as 50mm F1.8 FF will cost you a lot less than the 33mm F1.4 from Fuji,.

There are lots of wildlfe shooter who love M43 and have found with a decent noise reduction package, they can achieve the results that they require.

I suggest that you consider what is really important here (and include weight and weather resistance as well).

My gut feeling based on your post, is that a switch to Fuji isn't going to give you everything that you want.

David makes some very valid points. I enjoy shooting wildlife, mainly birds but if it moves I'll shoot it :LOL: I shoot with the X-T3 with 100-400 and 1.4 EX, which gives me a FF equivalent of 560mm, your system is about 800mm with the 400. However, this does mean shooting at f8 minimum, so unless it's a very bright day, I'm shooting at at least 1600 ISO, if not more. As he also suggested, a decent noise removal tool may be a better investment, although I have never been unhappy with noise on the T2 or T3.

There's plenty of wildlife on my Flickr album if you want to have a look...

(my Exp comp is at 0)

Nope. Doesn’t happen with me on my X-S10.

Thank you for the reply, I’m currently using the em5 mk3 with the 100-300 but I was looking at getting the 100-400 for the extra reach, I tried this with the em5 and the grip is too small to make this comfortable to hold, thus leaving me looking at going for the om1 plus the 100-400. Then I’m thinking that’s around £2500 brand new even grey, my mind feels like I’d be gaining more for my money moving to Fuji for a little more expense compared to getting the om1. I’m going to have to have a good think and thanks for your feedback.

David makes some very valid points. I enjoy shooting wildlife, mainly birds but if it moves I'll shoot it :LOL: I shoot with the X-T3 with 100-400 and 1.4 EX, which gives me a FF equivalent of 560mm, your system is about 800mm with the 400. However, this does mean shooting at f8 minimum, so unless it's a very bright day, I'm shooting at at least 1600 ISO, if not more. As he also suggested, a decent noise removal tool may be a better investment, although I have never been unhappy with noise on the T2 or T3.

There's plenty of wildlife on my Flickr album if you want to have a look...

Hi, thank you for your reply, I will have a look through the photos this evening.
I did think about noise removal software but I was dubious as to how good it is. I will have a look at some videos etc later but that’s an interesting idea.

I love this time of year wandering around spotting fungi and autumnal stuff. Lovely shots!
Thanks, Simon.
It is actually a very tidy little wood too. Hardly any brambles and those messy things that grow upwards everywhere. The trees are very tall, so probably well established. Also found out that there are a couple of Buzzards about, so will take the big fella next time I go ;)

FC8IpPf.jpg

(my Exp comp is at 0)

Does it stay bright? I've noticed that sometimes the image goes super bright when I half-press, then goes back to whatever I've exposed to. From things I've read online, I think some lenses open the aperture right up to get focus, then close it back down to whatever it was actually set to... could it be that?

Any opinions on if its worth upgrading from the X-T20 to X-T30 II; mainly for quality of life reasons?

The X-T20 doesn't have Eterna; doesn't support XApp and hasn't had a firmware update since 2020.

Does the X-T30 II have better custom user settings too?

Based on ebay, if I'm lucky I won't lose much cash in the upgrade; but unsure if its worth the hassle.

I have been following you for a while on Instagram, without realising that you also shoot motorsports with a Fuji.

Any opinions on if its worth upgrading from the X-T20 to X-T30 II; mainly for quality of life reasons?

The X-T20 doesn't have Eterna; doesn't support XApp and hasn't had a firmware update since 2020.

Does the X-T30 II have better custom user settings too?

Based on ebay, if I'm lucky I won't lose much cash in the upgrade; but unsure if its worth the hassle.
If it is pretty much cost-neutral - then go for it. The autofocus will be better too.

I have cameras from both of those generations, and the X100V is generally easier to use, especially if you connect it to your phone. But don't expect a big improvement in image quality.

I have been following you for a while on Instagram, without realising that you also shoot motorsports with a Fuji.

Always used to be but struggled a bit with weddings with them, so moved to Sony (as much as I wanted to keep the Fuji for personal stuff I couldn't justify two systems). In a position to have a Fuji setup for personal use now, so I'm very happy to be back.

For certain types of shots it's miles behind the a9s, but I don't really care, just doing it for fun and I enjoy the feel of using the Fujis so much more.

Got my 10-24 from WEX a few days ago. Pretty happy that I have landscapes covered now with the 10-24, the 16-80 and the 70-300. Might get a prime someday - just because :p.

My wife and I took the dog to Talacre Beach last Friday. The Fuji came along for the trip.

Xt5 and 10-24

Point Of Ayr Lighthouse by Jason, on Flickr

If it is pretty much cost-neutral - then go for it. The autofocus will be better too.

I have cameras from both of those generations, and the X100V is generally easier to use, especially if you connect it to your phone. But don't expect a big improvement in image quality.

Not fussed about image quality - its excellent on the X-T20 already. MBP will give me £270 for it; so thats a good base to go on. See what comes up on ebay/classifieds.

Always used to be but struggled a bit with weddings with them, so moved to Sony (as much as I wanted to keep the Fuji for personal stuff I couldn't justify two systems). In a position to have a Fuji setup for personal use now, so I'm very happy to be back.

For certain types of shots it's miles behind the a9s, but I don't really care, just doing it for fun and I enjoy the feel of using the Fujis so much more.

To me that's what the Fuji system is all about, enjoying your photography.

Well, I’d been away for a couple of years flirting with Nikon and Canon, but once again I’ve found myself back in the Fuji camp.

For the past year I had an R6 and some really nice EF lenses, and it was a fantastic camera, but I found myself leaving it at home more often than not simply due to the size/weight and it was a lot of money sitting in a bag not being used.

I decided to make a move something cheaper, and smaller, so I now have an X-T3 again ( I’ve had one previously) and I have to say that using a Fuji again almost feels like ‘coming home’!

Okay, I am now home for a couple of days before heading off again to Croatia next week. I used it for a couple of days in Italy this week, only taken a couple of hundred pics and here are my initial impressions after actually using it.

First, the bad.

I still find moving the focus point around the frame really clunky, if I didn’t have the focus point at the right place, it takes forever and an age to move it to where I want with the stick. And I also noticed sometimes it would move itself to the bottom corner for some reason. I have since activated 50% of the screen as a focus trackpad when using EVF….it might take some getting used to so we’ll see.

Articulated screen is not for me, when shooting hip height I can’t just flip it out and look down. I need to flip it to the side and then twist and half the time I twist the wrong direction….again, it slows me down.

Battery life is not good on the old-style batteries, I’d say it lasts like 1 quarter of the time my Sony lasts.

The On/Off switch is not good, why did they change it from the XT series….weird. Even after a week I struggle to tell when it is on or off by feel. Also, when it goes to sleep, it isn’t so much as sleep but it’s proper off. It takes just as long if not longer to wake than turning the dial.

Geolocation keeps dropping off, even though I haven’t closed the app. Although still better than the Sony app.

Now the good.

It’s small, I can fit the X-S10, with my 23/14, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2 in my Ryker with room to fit a battery bank, mini retro handheld and even a bottle of water for the flight.

AF is relatively fast and accurate.

I love the mode dials for the film simulation, I think I will leave that dial for this, it is very nice to be able to go between Velvia to Classic Neg with a turn. Which brings me to the biggest strength to this camera (or the newer bodies especially with all the newer film simulation). It basically make processing kinda redundant for non-critical work. I am pretty happy with the colours of Velvia for the bold colour look that I like and then Classic Neg for a more moody look. I still shoot RAW if I want to process it but with a 256G card in there it fits over 5,000 shots (RAW+FINE JPEG) and that is plenty, even for a wedding.

The app is really easy to use and transfer, it was basically how I got the photos to my phone, then upload to IMGUR and post on here this week. As I didn’t have my laptop or iPad with me. It makes sharing photos very easy this way.

The IQ is great, overall the quality of the images are good, the results are good, the size is good but my biggest gripe is how slow it is to move the focus point around the frame. Not sure how they can fix it without a thumb wheel and unable to re-center the focus point by double pressing the stick.

Last edited:
Went on a Ghost walk, along the river last night, which actually was quite fun and informative. Even if the guide was a tad over the top ;)

Anyway, I managed to grab a couple of snaps (will be good to revisit with tripod, for long exposures).

T5 16-55 + DIY misty filter.

Factory Reflecting by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Messing about in pp with this one haha

Riverside walk by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Back