The fastest animal on the planet...EVER!

TBH I used to post my captives in this section but there seem to be a small minority on here that feel that as soon as a bird becomes captive then it changes from being a bird to a creature of another definition....

As captive birds can be classed as zoo animals (as they're obviosuly no longer birds when they go into a zoo???) I tend to find there are a lot friendlier reponses :)

Bizarre I know but I guess all forums have there bugs (oops sorry thats macro)!

I can understand why folks get annoyed when captive Birds are uploaded to the Wild Bird forums as its a little like cheating.Capturing wild raptors is extremely difficult and takes a lot of hard work and a high degree of fieldcraft.Birds captured in displays and workshops are a lot easier as you can choose the perch,backgrounds and lighting etc and take your time to get the perfect shot.I am not against shooting captive birds,its just something I find no pleasure in doing to be honest.

That being said I have no doubt that the OP had no intention of passing their pic off as a wild Peregrine.

I can understand why folks get annoyed when captive Birds are uploaded to the Wild Bird forums as its a little like cheating.Capturing wild raptors is extremely difficult and takes a lot of hard work and a high degree of fieldcraft.Birds captured in displays and workshops are a lot easier as you can choose the perch,backgrounds and lighting etc and take your time to get the perfect shot.I am not against shooting captive birds,its just something I find no pleasure in doing to be honest.

That being said I have no doubt that the OP had no intention of passing their pic off as a wild Peregrine.

Hit the nail on the head, but as a photography forum with a section called 'Birds' where else would anyone post a photo of a 'Bird' if they didn't know the forum. This is a stock photo site where the title of each thread needs to go into specific details about the type of shot contained in the thread, it's a friendly photo forum where people can post and learn. Previous comments in this thread IMHO are a tad inconsiderate and very unwelcoming....

Thats actually quite interesting,
admittedly I have only seen a handful of wild Pere's, here.
(a few more in the States)
I've never seen a wild eyas with a "blue hue".
on "anywhere", eyes, cere or feet,
I assume you meant feet, rather than talons?
(I'm not doubting your image for a minute)

I have seen raised (imprinted) and flown captive bred ones, both here and the states.
Again, I have never seen a pure bred captive on with blue in it.

Young wild one Chris:

23066.jpg

From the moors up here.

I have to say that I was a little confused by the title.If the thread is for wild birds only then it should say so in the title IMO.

On forums it is difficult to show exactly what is wanted in each board unless the description is a mile long with "Post this..." "Don't post that..." for exvery eventuality. I posted where I thought it should go...it wasn't a bird in a cage...if anyone asked, or if it was thought important, then I would quite happily have stated where this bird was, and it's status. Anyone choosing to follow the link to my Flickr would also see that this is in a set entitled "Yorkshire Wildlife Park" which gives some indication of the nature of the photos.

If a mod sees fit to move the thread, I have no problem at all.

Cheers.

TBH I used to post my captives in this section but there seem to be a small minority on here that feel that as soon as a bird becomes captive then it changes from being a bird to a creature of another definition....

As captive birds can be classed as zoo animals (as they're obviosuly no longer birds when they go into a zoo???) I tend to find there are a lot friendlier reponses :)

Bizarre I know but I guess all forums have there bugs (oops sorry thats macro)!

Ha ha...

Hit the nail on the head, but as a photography forum with a section called 'Birds' where else would anyone post a photo of a 'Bird' if they didn't know the forum. This is a stock photo site where the title of each thread needs to go into specific details about the type of shot contained in the thread, it's a friendly photo forum where people can post and learn. Previous comments in this thread IMHO are a tad inconsiderate and very unwelcoming....

Thanks Ryan. I have thick skin, anyway. There are plenty of welcoming folk here, too, so that's fine. :)

I am still very much learning the craft, and don't get the opportunity to get out much without the family (not that I want to leave them behind!) and so opportunities like this, at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park are what I have. The kids love the place, and I get to practise, with shots of the animals, shots of the birds, and shots of the birds in flight. With practise, I may get good enough so that when I DO see these in the wild, i will not fluff the shot.

And of course, I had no intention of "hoodwinking" you guys into thinking this was anything other than a display bird.

Cheers

If a mod sees fit to move the thread, I have no problem at all.

Cheers.

For myself its in the right section. You did not post it in the wild and free forum.

If you had this many comments on the image and not where the image was taken you would be doing very well.

Nice image by the way. Of one of my favorite birds.

MD(y)

How about-

Birds,a place to share your photos of wild Birds.

as opposed to-

Birds (8 Viewing)
A place to share your photos of all the birds and winged animals of the world.

Simples ;)

Yep. I know what it's like...I run my own little forum, too, and you run out of space for all the catagories...you end up with one at the bottom called "All the rest". :)

For myself its in the right section. You did not post it in the wild and free forum.

If you had this many comments on the image and not where the image was taken you would be doing very well.

MD(y)

Thanks. Yes, we do seem to have got away from the original shot. Never mind...I don't mind debate (it's a lost art in my opinion). :)

Thanks for the "like"...it's a fab bird. I have only recently had the opportuinities to shoot Birds of Prey and I love their stance, their stare, and their power. Beautiful!

Great image. I'd love to be able to capture these in the wild. Magnificent birds...wherever they are. :)

Thanks, there are plenty of wild nest sites up in the north of England. For obvious reasons, many are not discussed or disclosed in public, but they are out there.

Bend The Light said:
Thanks. Yes, we do seem to have got away from the original shot. Never mind...I don't mind debate (it's a lost art in my opinion). :)

Thanks for the "like"...it's a fab bird. I have only recently had the opportuinities to shoot Birds of Prey and I love their stance, their stare, and their power. Beautiful!

Hi Craig, may I just iterate what a great shot this is. your passion for these birds shine through, an that's what counts surely.

MD(y)

Disagree completely with that. A captive bird is no different to an animal in a zoo. There is a section in between birds and animals called trips to the zoo, so why are the subjects from bird of prey displays not moved in there?

As has been stated, it takes a long time and much skill to photograph wild birds of prey, there will always be sparrowhawks in the garden shots, no problem with that at all and I like seeing them, but captive birds should be in the zoo section. IMHWO.......:)

Thanks, there are plenty of wild nest sites up in the north of England. For obvious reasons, many are not discussed or disclosed in public, but they are out there.

I think it should be noted here that to go anywhere near wild Peregrines at their breeding sites requires a Schedule 1 Licence by law.This is also required even after the young have flown but are still dependant on the adults for food. (y)

Of course...I just don't have the time at the moment for that sort of thing, though I would love to go out and do this. :) I find my time in and around family times, and work, of course. :)

I think it should be noted here that to go anywhere near wild Peregrines at their breeding sites requires a Schedule 1 Licence by law.This is also required even after the young have flown but are still dependant on the adults for food. (y)

I very much believe we should leave well alone. :)
Thanks for the information. :)

Not 100 % true, but I know what you mean.For example, we have a kingfisher nest within 10 meters of a public footpath, does that mean we have to shut the path down?

Also, contrary to popular opinion, neither the RSPB or Natural England know where all the peregrine nest sites are.

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/species/speciallyprotectedbirds.aspx

Not 100 % true, but I know what you mean.For example, we have a kingfisher nest within 10 meters of a public footpath, does that mean we have to shut the path down?

Also, contrary to popular opinion, neither the RSPB or Natural England know where all the peregrine nest sites are.

If the use of the footpath causes disturbance then yes,close it down.

Your second point is where annual reports from monitors like myself come into play.

Blimey this has gone somewhat ballistic :)

"Birds A place to share your photos of all the birds and winged animals of the world."
Exactly (y)

I have to say that I was a little confused by the title.If the thread is for wild birds only then it should say so in the title IMO.
And indeed it would ;)

And again ;)
There is a wild a free section, which would be better for all non captives
what ever the species if we are being pedantic about this;)

Oh and just to play devils advocate, there are dozens or even maybe hundreds of "lost" longwings every year both pure bred and hybrids,
due to one reason or another, the IBR don't publish the "lost and found" figures
anymore, but at the last count only something like 25% were found.
Being native or part native, they are well equipped to survive and breed in the
wild.;)
There are even small pockets of Harris Hawks surviving and breeding in the wild.
So if a desert species from central south America can survive in the UK......

It only went off track due to Fracster getting his Jockeys in a bunch.

It only went off track due to Fracster getting his Jockeys in a bunch.

And how do you come to that mind blowing fact?

In fact, don`t answer that, I really don`t give a damn..................:D

Last edited:
:D

No problem here Ade (y)

As ever Chris.......(y)

It is an easy going sort of thing, but do the powers that be not see the difference between captive bird photography and wild bird photography?

Surely captive bird stuff should be in the

"Nature : Pets, Plants and Trips to the Zoo (2 Viewing)
All your zoo shots, your pets and captive creatures. Oh, and your pot plants and garden shots."

No...........:shrug:

Last edited:
fracster said:
And how do you come to that mind blowing fact?

In fact, don`t answer that, I really don`t give a damn..................:D

Point me to anywhere the OP has said it was a wild bird. Your 'don't give a damn' comment is negated by the fact that you felt the need to respond in your typically terminally outraged manner. BTW I'll respond to whom I like, I will not be bullied by a self righteous indignitary like you.

As ever Chris.......(y)

It is an easy going sort of thing, but do the powers that be not see the difference between captive bird photography and wild bird photography?

Surely captive bird stuff should be in the

"Nature : Pets, Plants and Trips to the Zoo (2 Viewing)
All your zoo shots, your pets and captive creatures. Oh, and your pot plants and garden shots."

No...........:shrug:

I have my own opinions on that Ade,
For example why does a pet or pot plant come under "zoo's"?
Neither or which are zoo animals.
Thats my personal opinion.

However the ( many) forums have to be contained with some basic guidelines
and unfortunately if each subject had its own forum then the list would be endless.
I, as others fully appreciated the time effort and patients involved in
capturing wild birds.
Its the same as Mammals, badgers, foxes, Reds (and those other grey things ;))
So maybe a better place for the "wild birds" would be in "wild and free"
then there is absolutely no argument.

Fair comment Chris.

Martin, i`m not terminally outraged, this is a forum for passing opinion, which is all I have done. I don`t type 20 words where 5 will do, that is how I am in real life as well. Wether that offends people or not does not really concern me.

fracster said:
Fair comment Chris.

Martin, i`m not terminally outraged, this is a forum for passing opinion, which is all I have done. I don`t type 20 words where 5 will do, that is how I am in real life as well. Wether that offends people or not does not really concern me.

Please answer the question I posed.

i was going to post this seperate but then i saw this and i thought id add to it.

Falcon Face-On by benji1867, on Flickr

Wow.

Would it not have been easier to move the thread.

Although after saying that its in the Birds section. Its NOT in the wild and free

Please answer the question I posed.

Sir, yes Sir...........:)

He did not specify, that is why I asked the question.

Snotty as ever. I did actually say please, that's called courtesy, perhaps you should Google it.

FFS! Guy`s there is really no need for any of this imo. Craig first let me say it is indeed a good picture (y) Does Ade have a point :shrug: I suppose you could call it splitting hairs but in all fairness it does say under the Zoo section " All your zoo shots, your pets and captive creatures. Oh, and your pot plants and garden shots. " In saying that Craig there was also no reason why you could not have mentioned that it was indeed a captive bird. Does this now mean that all my bird shots taken in the garden now have to go into the Zoo section? :LOL:

Back