The Film & Conventional 2016 POTY Discussion Thread ***POLL ADDED***

"Would you enter a FPOTY16 if we created one? yes/no".

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well with the long list of threads (could have slipped of the page), I can't see where you would post your shots....might be me though as the other day I was looking in the fridge for something and asked my wife where it was...and she pointed and said "look it's there" :banghead: :D
I'll get an entry thread up soon Brian, but I figured that as its only a week into 2016 even the most enthusiastic filmy wouldn't have shot, processed, scanned and uploaded yet.

Great as I (and maybe others) want to use my film up (with the xmas shots) and have an idea to enter.

I'll get an entry thread up soon Brian, but I figured that as its only a week into 2016 even the most enthusiastic filmy wouldn't have shot, processed, scanned and uploaded yet.

:tumbleweed::whistle::D

If you're planning ahead for the Intentional Camera Movement round, there's a thread on the subject in the Talk Photography sub-forum [edited to include link to the thread], and it had a link to an interesting document about Chris Friel, who does it (I think I saw some of his at Masters of Vision last year). Elsewhere I found Michael Orton, who has a video on it.

Anyone else found any good resources?

Last edited:
Just a query, @RaglanSurf, do the monthly entries close strictly at midnight on the last day of the month?

Oh, also BTW would it be possible to summarise the theme in the entry thread title? Will make it easier to work out what's going on, and easier for voters when the poll gets set up, too... Thanks.

Just a query, @RaglanSurf, do the monthly entries close strictly at midnight on the last day of the month?

Oh, also BTW would it be possible to summarise the theme in the entry thread title? Will make it easier to work out what's going on, and easier for voters when the poll gets set up, too... Thanks.
No, I thought I'd posted this but obviously only in my nightmare addled sleep.

Since this is the F&C section I figured a bit of leeway wouldn't go amiss, particularly for January. So would an extra week suffice?

No, I thought I'd posted this but obviously only in my nightmare addled sleep.

Since this is the F&C section I figured a bit of leeway wouldn't go amiss, particularly for January. So would an extra week suffice?

Must have a leeway as it's my chillblains you know in the cold weather :D Thursday is going to be a sunny day (well in the SE) and looks the best for the next week for outdoor shots

Would I be too late? I have 4 rolls to dev this morning that I think may have something suitable from myself and Mrs Snap which will be ready to post this afternoon.

Would I be too late? I have 4 rolls to dev this morning that I think may have something suitable from myself and Mrs Snap which will be ready to post this afternoon.
That's fine Andy, plenty of leeway for January (y)

Great idea and one I'll be fully behind as soon as I sort myself out and start taking some photos again. It means I'm out of the running for January as I don't think I took any photos last month, hopefully that won't hamstring my chances of being officially recognised as a t*** :)

Great idea and one I'll be fully behind as soon as I sort myself out and start taking some photos again. It means I'm out of the running for January as I don't think I took any photos last month, hopefully that won't hamstring my chances of being officially recognised as a t*** :)

No, no Dean, official or not you will always be a t*** to us. :D

No excuses Dean...I took my shots then drove immediately to Asda (30mins) had the results in my hand after 30 mins...drove back 30 mins, sorted through the promising shots about 10mins and so on, nearly all digi speed, but would be even faster if Asda was 5 mins away.

No excuses Dean...I took my shots then drove immediately to Asda (30mins) had the results in my hand after 30 mins...drove back 30 mins, sorted through the promising shots about 10mins and so on, nearly all digi speed, but would be even faster if Asda was 5 mins away.

Open a "MiniAsda" chez toi then you won't need to travel!:D

Our local Asda had a refit which removed the photo desk, another one bites the dust. :(

Snappy Snaps in the town centre will develop a 36-exp film for £2.99 (i.e. no scanning) but are only open until 4.30pm on a Sunday. That's immaterial really though, given that the January subject is B&W and I can do that at home ;)

I won't be entering anyway as all my cameras are currently spread out across the floor of the lounge while I sort out what I'm keeping and what's going up for sale. I've been threatening to do that for months and it's about time I got on with it! Hopefully if I can get some sold soon, I'll have a subject for my February money shot!*

* Don't. Just don't.

Open a "MiniAsda" chez toi then you won't need to travel!:D

Well why the film is being done I like hunting down the bargains like 500g of mincemeat @ £1.25 and 10kg of Basmati rice for about £7...must have got into my blood from years of going to the bootie :D

That's fine Andy, plenty of leeway for January (y)

Um, Nick, will this finish before February does? ;) Glad to know it's all flexible as I haven't a scooby about the February theme yet!

Um, Nick, will this finish before February does? ;) Glad to know it's all flexible as I haven't a scooby about the February theme yet!
Yeah, I suppose we should draw this to a close.

Quick question.

I have a photo that I might enter for Feb. Is it ok to post it on flickr now?

Cheers

Well, I have at least taken some shots for the money challenge (daren't write that the other way around!), but I think I need to try some more ideas and anyway the film is nowhere near finished. So I'm kind of glad the "rules" of this film POTY are so flexible... OTOH, wouldn't it be a good idea, @RaglanSurf to vote on the January entries, seeing as it's now March? :whistle:;):tumbleweed:

Well with the money challenge is hard to think of something original other than a macro shot of a monetary note\coin (which is done to death)...h'mm maybe a shot of an unusual\old postage stamp on a letter would do.
Any lateral thinking suggestions for those stuck?

So, I decided to post a couple of carpy shots for this in order to bump it up a bit. It's a shame if this has completely died as it replaced our previous casual "monthly" challenge, intended to get us out shooting rather than rooting around the back catalogues. If the FPOTY16 is really dead, can we go back to the old system? Otherwise, can I suggest opening threads for the remaining months (with a hint in each thread as to what the challenge for that month is!), and maybe setting a short deadline for the ones that have been around for a few months now, followed by a poll?

So, I decided to post a couple of carpy shots for this in order to bump it up a bit. It's a shame if this has completely died as it replaced our previous casual "monthly" challenge, intended to get us out shooting rather than rooting around the back catalogues. If the FPOTY16 is really dead, can we go back to the old system? Otherwise, can I suggest opening threads for the remaining months (with a hint in each thread as to what the challenge for that month is!), and maybe setting a short deadline for the ones that have been around for a few months now, followed by a poll?

It does seem to have died a death, I have to admit I did take my eye off the POTY ball this year, so apologies for letting itslip. If there's enough interest and people have been taking shots and saving them we could always have an end of year multi month challenge.

I do agree with @ChrisR that we should resurrect the monthly film challenge. As far as I can tell from going through the archives the last challenge was number 41 Christmas and the winner was @steveo_mcg so how about Steve sets the new challenge?

Before we bring this back does anybody have any views on the way these challenges are run, any requests or suggestions for change or improvement? If you do post them up now.

It does seem to have died a death, I have to admit I did take my eye off the POTY ball this year, so apologies for letting itslip. If there's enough interest and people have been taking shots and saving them we could always have an end of year multi month challenge.

I do agree with @ChrisR that we should resurrect the monthly film challenge. As far as I can tell from going through the archives the last challenge was number 41 Christmas and the winner was @steveo_mcg so how about Steve sets the new challenge?

Before we bring this back does anybody have any views on the way these challenges are run, any requests or suggestions for change or improvement? If you do post them up now.

Every two months? There is always a few that can't meet the deadline for a month....for me unless I'm going somewhere interesting I find it a job to get thru' 36 exposures.

I think the lax way the previous challenges were run rather suits the ethos of F&C... a month plus a bit of leeway if anyone asks. Very happy to have @steveo_mcg set the next one. I'd suggest voting for 3 days, which seems to work of the new old film challenge, otherwise there tends to be too long a gap.

Errm, let me think of something.

I think I've suffered from a bit of a poty hang over, I've barely shot anything this year. It's not so much lack of motivation or missing the set subject but I've got a couple of projects that have kinda been stuck in my head and crowding out other stuff, partly because I've not had the conditions to shoot them so they won't go away!

Back