The Film & Conventional 2016 POTY Discussion Thread ***POLL ADDED***

"Would you enter a FPOTY16 if we created one? yes/no".

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks Nick, but... of blimey... Intentional Camera Movement was the one I was hoping you would edit out! Very tricky with film unless you're prepared to waste a few rolls, I'm guessing.

OTOH I've never tried it, and I suppose that's partly the point!

I assume in no 1 it doesn't matter if you convert from colour, also why does it have to be a beautiful human face as that would exclude males unless they are babies.

I dunno, took that one from a Pentax Forum competition. Maybe the "human face" bit is to differentiate from "portrait", which perhaps includes cooperation from and exploration of the sitter, not necessarily required for "human face". Beautiful... I guess we takes our pics and the rest of us judge whether it meets the criteria!

OTOH I'm slightly worried about Simon...:naughty::exit:

I dunno, took that one from a Pentax Forum competition. Maybe the "human face" bit is to differentiate from "portrait", which perhaps includes cooperation from and exploration of the sitter, not necessarily required for "human face". Beautiful... I guess we takes our pics and the rest of us judge whether it meets the criteria!

OTOH I'm slightly worried about Simon...:naughty::exit:

Well I suppose in drag shows some men can look beautiful with make up :eek: which reminds of reading about places like Thailand where if you picked up a woman you were never was sure at first whether she was a man (or woman)......I suppose it's because they have small features not like big nosed etc westerners.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, but... of blimey... Intentional Camera Movement was the one I was hoping you would edit out! Very tricky with film unless you're prepared to waste a few rolls, I'm guessing.

OTOH I've never tried it, and I suppose that's partly the point!
Trouble is Chris, if I'd started selecting stuff I liked it would have been a very list of themes.
Oh how I was hoping that first one wouldn't come up...
Sorry Steven.

Can I make a request that we move "summer into autumn" back a month, there is no guarantee there will be any transition early September which only leaves a week or so for dev and scan.

Can I make a request that we move "summer into autumn" back a month, there is no guarantee there will be any transition early September which only leaves a week or so for dev and scan.
That makes sense to me, I'll move it when I create the proper thread.

I have just created a basic rules and themes thread. Please post here in the discussion thread for any additions.

it just occurred to me that since there are another 60 themes unused in my bowl that perhaps everyone would like one veto each where one round could be exchanged for another randomly chosen from the bowl, thoughts folks?

Well after seeing the rules shall we scrap the other monthly challenge...any way if we kept it, I would propose it's extended to at least every six weeks as filmies in some times of the year find it difficult to get through a roll of film.

Well after seeing the rules shall we scrap the other monthly challenge...any way if we kept it, I would propose it's extended to at least every six weeks as filmies in some times of the year find it difficult to get through a roll of film.
This is a replacement for the monthly challenge, unless there's a real desire from others to keep it going. The new/old challenge will remain though.

it just occurred to me that since there are another 60 themes unused in my bowl that perhaps everyone would like one veto each where one round could be exchanged for another randomly chosen from the bowl, thoughts folks?

It might start to get a bit complicated and I'm easily confused.

I have just created a basic rules and themes thread. Please post here in the discussion thread for any additions.

In the 52s, you can have a joker from time to time. I'd suggest everyone can have one joker, taken from the other 60 themes?

In the 52s, you can have a joker from time to time. I'd suggest everyone can have one joker, taken from the other 60 themes?
I like that idea Chris, although it may be tricky to compare like for like. For instance if it's the beautiful faces in b&w month and someone else enters a 'fog' shot. It's one of the reasons I didn't really bother with the POTY last year, too many anything goes rounds.

Last edited:
I like that idea Chris, although it may be tricky to compare like for like. For instance if it's the beautiful faces in b&w month and someone else enters a 'fog' shot. It's one of the reasons I didn't really bother with the POTY last year, too many anything goes rounds.

I think it could work; we'd have to say what joker theme we were entering against, then when voting we'd be asked to judge the pictures for both relevance to the theme (month or joker) and quality. I don't remember a particular problem choosing my votes in the "anything goes" POTY rounds this year.

One thing that occurs, particularly if you make a rule like "one joker"... there needs to be someone adjudicating that sort of thing, willing to take the hard decision to rule someone out...

places like Thailand where if you picked up a woman you were never was sure at first whether she was a man (or woman)......I.

OK Brian, we understand that it's been an anchor around your neck for all these years and you need to let it go, so......Spill the beans!:naughty::wideyed::exit::D

OK Brian, we understand that it's been an anchor around your neck for all these years and you need to let it go, so......Spill the beans!:naughty::wideyed::exit::D

Well there was this time when....nah you'll have to read it in my memoirs :D

No 1 is a tough one (alright for filmies who have kiddies)...I only have my grandaughter and she wont sit for me. and at my age if I wander around take pics of pretty girls I'd be called a pervert. But I've got Tweetie pie on a clock face and there must be someone in the world that believes it's sorta human :D

No 1 is a tough one (alright for filmies who have kiddies)...I only have my grandaughter and she wont sit for me. and at my age if I wander around take pics of pretty girls I'd be called a pervert. But I've got Tweetie pie on a clock face and there must be someone in the world that believes it's sorta human :D

Not one of mine will sit still. Two hate getting their pictures taken the eldest prefers to come round my side and help.

Not one of mine will sit still. Two hate getting their pictures taken the eldest prefers to come round my side and help.
We could always omit the human bit and just have beautiful face or even just faces?

I'm very happy with the themes for 2016, most of them are quite unusual in that I don't think I've seen many of them before (here on TP or elsewhere on the interwebs). I think I'll struggle with a few of them, but in a way I like that as it'll get me taking photos of things that I wouldn't normally.

A good range of themes overall I think :)

We could always omit the human bit and just have beautiful face or even just faces?

Well IMO the beautiful bit is too restrictive other choice would be as you said "a face" which would open up interpretations like "a clock face" or "animal face" even a "mountain face" for some body oop north or west.

When the Pentax forum is mentioned do they have copyright in the small print for entrants as a beautiful face could be interesting to a beauty magazine or whoever.

Last edited:
I guess the thing to remember is that the monthly comps are supposed to be fun. They don't have any bearing on the final POTY result as it's up to us to enter our 3 'best' shots from the whole year at the end so if you don't enter a strong shot in a month it's not the end of the world.

Also, you don't need to do a portrait sitting for the human face shot. How about shooting a street scene with a billboard poster or a statue/painting in a gallery? All of the themes are open to our own interpretation.

I guess the thing to remember is that the monthly comps are supposed to be fun. They don't have any bearing on the final POTY result as it's up to us to enter our 3 'best' shots from the whole year at the end so if you don't enter a strong shot in a month it's not the end of the world.

Also, you don't need to do a portrait sitting for the human face shot. How about shooting a street scene with a billboard poster or a statue/painting in a gallery? All of the themes are open to our own interpretation.

Well I did think of photographing a photo I'd taken in the past...:naughty::naughty:...and yes it's a bit of fun but also it has to be simple (or not too difficult) that many people can join in. Well we can let the first one stay as it is and if not many entrants would have to review the other months if the subject is too hard.

Last edited:
Couple of questions on this... first Nick @RaglanSurf, could the rules post link to this thread, please? The thread names are slightly different, and it took an age to find this one even though it's not far down the page! Second, could the rules post please specify the entry process, whether it be a monthly entries thread, a separate discussion thread, discussion on this thread only, or entries emailed to an impartial person as in last years Staff POTY? (The latter was my suggestion, but I suspect the general consensus was to keep it non-anonymous as it has always been.) And I don't remember if the rules threads describes the voting process, but if not it should...

And would anyone mind if I posted an "ad" for this on the POTY16 discussion thread? Or perhaps Nick could do it as the main sponsor? I think we should try to get some more people interested, and with the lack of monthly POTY entries there may be folk tempted to try film in order to get their competitive kick... ;)

Sorry, I just like to get my i's crossed and my t's dotted... erm, if you know what I mean!

Couple of questions on this... first Nick @RaglanSurf, could the rules post link to this thread, please? The thread names are slightly different, and it took an age to find this one even though it's not far down the page! Second, could the rules post please specify the entry process, whether it be a monthly entries thread, a separate discussion thread, discussion on this thread only, or entries emailed to an impartial person as in last years Staff POTY? (The latter was my suggestion, but I suspect the general consensus was to keep it non-anonymous as it has always been.) And I don't remember if the rules threads describes the voting process, but if not it should...

And would anyone mind if I posted an "ad" for this on the POTY16 discussion thread? Or perhaps Nick could do it as the main sponsor? I think we should try to get some more people interested, and with the lack of monthly POTY entries there may be folk tempted to try film in order to get their competitive kick... ;)

Sorry, I just like to get my i's crossed and my t's dotted... erm, if you know what I mean!
As far as I can see from the thread nothing is set in stone Chris, I left the list of rules and voting method open for discussion and there doesn't seem to have been much discussion so far. I'm happy to go with the majority preference but I would suggest that it runs along similar lines to the current haphazard film challenges with the exception that the entries don't have to have been shot in the specific month but must have been shot this year.

As per @ChrisR 's request the themes and rules have been added to the first post in this thread.

Have also just added this to the rules

I will create a monthly entries thread and add a poll at the end of each month, this will mean that photographers will be identifiable but since we've always done it this way I don't see the need for a secret ballot.

Last edited:
I think as long as the dates are kept to the end of each month with proper deadlines, then the current format for the monthly challenges works well enough for our needs. Only difference being having one overall discussion thread for the whole year instead of one each month. Each member posts their photo in the thread and then a poll's added for a X amount of days at the end of the month.

Don't think we need to make it any more complicated than that, the simpler it is the better it will work and the more likely people will stick with it all year :)

I think as long as the dates are kept to the end of each month with proper deadlines, then the current format for the monthly challenges works well enough for our needs. Only difference being having one overall discussion thread for the whole year instead of one each month. Each member posts their photo in the thread and then a poll's added for a X amount of days at the end of the month.

Don't think we need to make it any more complicated than that, the simpler it is the better it will work and the more likely people will stick with it all year :)
Absolutely right Carl, one overall discussion thread, seperate monthly entry threads c/w poll and one final best 3 of the year entry thread which I'll put up in December.

If Chris thinks it's a good idea we might as well have the voting for the Christmas challenge to end at the end of Jan..why? well it's going to be the last and there might be some filmies who have some Xmas shots and don't want to waste the rest of the film (erm I'm one of them), but for POTY they will have a chance to use the film up and kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Well with the long list of threads (could have slipped of the page), I can't see where you would post your shots....might be me though as the other day I was looking in the fridge for something and asked my wife where it was...and she pointed and said "look it's there" :banghead: :D

Back