The Film & Conventional 2016 POTY Discussion Thread ***POLL ADDED***

"Would you enter a FPOTY16 if we created one? yes/no".

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A place to discuss all things F&C POTY Suggestions, themes, potential problems etc.

How do folk want to see it run? What format should it take? What should the themes be? How do we choose them?

Things suggested so far include

We could call it "Fusty and Crusty of the Year" !! :D

or perhaps the "TP Worldwide Awards for Traditional photography", then the winner could have "T.W.A.T of the year 2016" under their name :D :D

I personally favour the latter.

How about if we had a clause which allows 2 shots to be entered that are from your archives, just as a buffer for those months when we don't manage to finish of a film etc.

Andy[/QUOTE

This is a good idea IMHO, not compulsory but a great fallback position.

We could also ask for suggestions for themes and just draw 12 out of the hat.?

We'd might need to borrow a hat but it's a good idea.

==============================================================================

Film Photographer of the Year Competition otherwise known as TP Worldwide Award for Traditional photography

The Themes

January - Beautiful Human Faces (b&w)
February - Money
March - Corners
April - Blue Hour
May - Animals, Birds etc
June - Emergency Services
July - Boats and Ships
August - Street Furniture
September - Intentional Camera Movements
October - Summer into Autumn (the change)
November - Seaside Postcard
December - Family

The Rules (so far)
Shots must be on film
Shots must have been taken during 2016
Post production is allowed but should be limited where possible to those that imitate traditional darkroom techniques, cropping, dodging, burning, colour, contrast etc.
There will be a monthly winner but also, at the end of the year, everyone enters their best 3 entries of the year for voting for FPOTY.
which is pretty much the same as this...
12 categories one a month, popular vote each month for fun and continuity. The monthly results don't directly contribute to the end of year competition. In early January 2017 we have another public vote for the title. The three submissions for the title poll must be drawn from your own entires in the competition through the year.

I will create a monthly entries thread and add a poll at the end of each month, this will mean that photographers will be identifiable but since we've always done it this way I don't see the need for a secret ballot.

Apologies if I've missed anything but please feel free to post any additional rules in the discussion thread and we can sort something out that most are happy with.

Last edited:
Have I got this right..... what is proposed is to amalgamate the two seperate challenges into one?

Have I got this right..... what is proposed is to amalgamate the two seperate challenges into one?
The idea is to turn our haphazard and random "monthly" challenges into a more structured film POTY, of course there's nothing to stop people entering the regular POTY competition as well.

Well we can give it a trial run to see if it's popular...but in the main POTY I'm surprised filmies get any where on some catagories and only for one reason:- they are vastly out numbered by the digi guys so more chance for one of them to produce a winning shot..and maybe also, some of the top ex filmies now use digi so they have gone.

Last edited:
No, Brian, you are the top filmie and you are definitely still here. :D

I think you'll face strong competition to be forum T.W.A.T.

We could run this the way @Buck does the Staff POTY: entries emailed to the organiser, who creates a public thread, winner chosen by open public vote, points on the current scale cumulative over the year...

Nick, before we get too far ahead of ourselves (not seeing a huge amount of interest here), d'you think a poll would be in order? Something along the lines of "Would you enter a FPOTY16 if we created one? yes/no".

I'm very keen to have a FPOTY competition :) There are obviously a lot of questions to answer though, and the answers might affect whether people would want to enter. Things such as, are themes picked out of a hat at the start of the year like the regular POTY was this year? And are the entries going to to be judged by proper judges each month or are they going to be peer voted with a poll?

Also like I said in the previous thread, I'm happy to help out in any way I can, but not sure how much I'd be able to do as I'd want to enter too!

I think we're honest enough round here to be able to admin and enter with out any one getting funny.

Personally I'm being a bit non committal for the same reason I wasn't going to enter the main competition, I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have this year at least until May due to training at the weekends unless I can shoe horn night cityscapes in.

We could run this the way @Buck does the Staff POTY: entries emailed to the organiser, who creates a public thread, winner chosen by open public vote, points on the current scale cumulative over the year...

Nick, before we get too far ahead of ourselves (not seeing a huge amount of interest here), d'you think a poll would be in order? Something along the lines of "Would you enter a FPOTY16 if we created one? yes/no".
Poll added Chris.
I think we're honest enough round here to be able to admin and enter with out any one getting funny.

Personally I'm being a bit non committal for the same reason I wasn't going to enter the main competition, I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have this year at least until May due to training at the weekends unless I can shoe horn night cityscapes in.
It may well be that we can alter the way the FPOTY is run, open to all suggestions to enable as many folk as possible to enter.

I win...... that means I chose ..... doesn't it?

Must stop answering posts after going to the pub. :beer::D

yeah go on then. Although im not sure i will be entering much. Too much chaos going on in the real world right now and the foreseeable future.

I've been thinking which is always dangerous, so please excuse my ramblings.

A major issue seems to be people unable to commit to regular entries.

How about, take the current "monthly" challenge but tighten it up. Have an invigilator, perhaps a mod, to enforce the time limits.

Have a monthly winner but also, at the end of the year, everyone enters their best 3 entries of the year for voting for FPOTY.

Or something like that.

That might work better, the problem with accumulation entry types is unless you know your onboard from the start or are happy to enter for the fun and know your not going to be in with a shout and are happy with that then they're a hard sell.

How about your top three from the year have to come from your entries to the competition so the more you enter the more chances you get? But no points each month?

H'mm I prefer a leeway for time unless you want to waste film...sometimes I get the shot, I want, in one and that leaves the problem in how to use the film up......B/W is useful has you can snip the shot off the roll and just dev that but colour is the problem.

Right so the proposal is that there are 12 categories one a month, popular vote each month for fun and continuity. The monthly results don't directly contribute to the end of year competition. In early January 2017 we have another public vote for the title. The three (?) submissions for the title poll must be drawn from your own entires in the competition through the year.

Any recommendations for where to get 12 categories?

I don't think this should provide any more administration requirements than the previous competition we could even ask the winner of the previous month to administer the next.

Thoughts?

No nudes as I haven't got any... Oh wait I could be a voyeur and look at everybody else's :naughty:

So here's a starter list I've put together from various competition sites including our own... folk could suggest a few more, then we could put them in a thread and vote for themes?

1. Abstract

2. After dark

3. Animals, birds etc

4. Animated

5. Anything goes

6. Architecture

7. Beautiful human faces, in black and white

8. Black OR white

9. Blue hour

10. Boats and ships

11. Bokeh

12. Boxes

13. Bridges

14. Bugs

15. Chiaroscuro

16. Corner(s)

17. Double

18. Dramatic mono

19. Emergency services

20. Empty (or nearly empty)

21. Ephemeral

22. Family

23. Fire and smoke

24. Flowers and plants

25. Fog

26. Fungi

27. Hands

28. Harvest

29. Heat

30. Holidays

31. In the garden

32. Industrial

33. Intentional camera movement

34. Landscape

35. Less is more

36. Light

37. Lines and curves

38. Make a statement

39. Mirror(s)

40. Money

41. Motion

42. Natural abstracts

43. Nature

44. Nursery rhymes

45. Places of worship

46. Portrait

47. Power

48. Revellers

49. Seaside postcard

50. Selfie

51. Splash

52. Splash of colour

53. Sports

54. Sporty

55. Spring

56. Stairs

57. Still life on a kitchen table

58. Street furniture

59. Street photography

60. Summer

61. Summer into Autumn (the change)

62. Sunrise

63. Sunset

64. Texture

65. The eyes have it

66. The railway

67. Time

68. Urban monochrome

69. Wheel(s)

70. Wings

71. Winter

72. Writing

Did we decide if we were going to announce themes up front or shoot during the month?

Give it another couple of days for disagreement but we should probably draw the categories soonish else we'll end up behind before we get started.

So how do we chose the categories? Since 11 people have said they are interested we could each chose one from @ChrisR 's list and have one anything goes month.

Or we could assign each category from Chris's list a random number from 1-72 and each pick a number.

Last edited:
I vote for pick one each.

OR

As instigator, Nick, you could put 72 numbered bits of paper in a bowl and pick 12 at random.

12 drawn ones from Chris's list would work for me, nice and random and no complaints of picking something that suits yourself.

72 numbered pieces of paper prepared. If everybody is happy for me to pick out the themes I'll do it tonight and post up tomorrow.

Eeeek! I chucked some in there thinking, no way will these survive a vote! But yes, I say go for it... but add an extra silent stage of review... if there are any that would be deeply unpopular to the rest of us (not you, obviously), then I suggest you chuck the slip away and draw another one... and don't tell us! :)

What idea was this Steve?

In the last couple of years I put together a evernote pad with all the categories and basically brainstorm some ideas for shots nothing directly related to the current situation. The notebook works better when all the ideas are available up front.

In the last couple of years I put together a evernote pad with all the categories and basically brainstorm some ideas for shots nothing directly related to the current situation. The notebook works better when all the ideas are available up front.
Ok, that makes sense.

:banana:

How exciting!

Thanks very much for organising this Nick.

In fact, well done everyone. Bloody good cricket all round, I say.

Back