The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
AVB is now confirmed as having signed a 3 year contract with Spurs.

There's also growing rumblings that a big money takeover by a sugar daddy could be happening at Spurs. I hope for the sake of football they turn out to be nothing more than rumours.

pooley said:
England have risen to 4th in the FIFA rankings!!

How the *#^* does that work !?!

Haha it's a joke. We've only reached 2 semi-finals in 40+ years so what type of ratings system puts us in the top 4?! Not even sure we should make the top 10!

Haha it's a joke. We've only reached 2 semi-finals in 40+ years so what type of ratings system puts us in the top 4?! Not even sure we should make the top 10!

we should be top 8 since we regularly reach the last 8. But no, not top 4

England have risen to 4th in the FIFA rankings!!

How the *#^* does that work !?!

I thought you all hated Blatter....looks like he is giving England a pat on the back.

tiler65 said:

As I have said, wenger out!!! This is nothing to do with money but the fact that we cannot compete for trophies as we do not have a good enough squad. Yes, podolski is a good signing but we need better defenders and better mids, and last season we pretty much only had 1 striker, rvp.

cambsno said:
As I have said, wenger out!!! This is nothing to do with money but the fact that we cannot compete for trophies as we do not have a good enough squad. Yes, podolski is a good signing but we need better defenders and better mids, and last season we pretty much only had 1 striker, rvp.

And as I have said time and again; you're blaming Wenger for things which he is not in control of. It's the board and owners you should direct your displeasure at, not the Manager who has long overachieved with the squad at his disposal.

As for RVP...good for him. I honestly believe he has a lot of love for the club and the fans. He has to do what's right for him and if he feels his ambitions and drive differ from the club's then it's only right he moves on. Since he's not re-signing I hope he leaves early this summer to at least be of financial benefit to the club and allow us to time to sign a replacement. Best of luck to RVP. I sincerely hope he doesn't join money-bags City though. *******s.

We all know wenger is tight so I don't think he disagrees with the board. He should use his power to win a few battles and not be a lapdog.

If it really is beyond his control then say that, and be realistic, no more crap about how we are strong enough for the league or cups. Target the cups rather than use for yths. Above all stop ignoring the glaring errors in our squad. We got lucky last year with Chelsea imploding, spurs bottling it and rvp having an amazing season. Chelsea will b 3rd this year which leaves us and spurs with maybe Liverpool for 4th.

Too many of his recent signings have been poor. We didn't get Cahill down to his tightness, just the player we need.

cambsno said:
We all know wenger is tight so I don't think he disagrees with the board. He should use his power to win a few battles and not be a lapdog.

If it really is beyond his control then say that, and be realistic, no more crap about how we are strong enough for the league or cups. Target the cups rather than use for yths. Above all stop ignoring the glaring errors in our squad. We got lucky last year with Chelsea imploding, spurs bottling it and rvp having an amazing season. Chelsea will b 3rd this year which leaves us and spurs with maybe Liverpool for 4th.

Too many of his recent signings have been poor. We didn't get Cahill down to his tightness, just the player we need.

Whether he agrees with the board matters not. It's their club, their money, their decision. If it's that you take issue with then jump aboard the growing Usmanov bandwagon and back some rich ownership. If not, accept that Arsenal is run first and foremost as a profitable business for its shareholders. They care not whether that involves trophies or not so long as our league standing and cup performances are good enough to generate the profit margins they desire. All your problems with Arsenal come from far higher than Wenger. Just because he's the face of leadership you see pitch side each week, please be smart enough to see where the problems actually originate.

U miss my other point. He seems deluded enough to think we can compete with what we have. If he would come out and say the best we can hope for this season is 4th then do it. Don't make out we are as good as man u.

cambsno said:
U miss my other point. He seems deluded enough to think we can compete with what we have. If he would come out and say the best we can hope for this season is 4th then do it. Don't make out we are as good as man u.

That's a pretty petty thing to take with issue with. There's nothing wrong with ambition. I'm sure what he says to press and his own personal assessment of the club's strength is a little different. Besides, I'm sure many fans who seem to like to be perpetually outraged by the decisions Arsenal make would love to sink their teeth into Wenger's 'lack of ambitions' if he were to say such things. More than the lack of ambition at board level, I despair at the so called support offered by some 'fans'.

That's a pretty petty thing to take with issue with. There's nothing wrong with ambition. I'm sure what he says to press and his own personal assessment of the club's strength is a little different. Besides, I'm sure many fans who seem to like to be perpetually outraged by the decisions Arsenal make would love to sink their teeth into Wenger's 'lack of ambitions' if he were to say such things. More than the lack of ambition at board level, I despair at the so called support offered by some 'fans'.

Why do you care so much about what he says. If you think you are only good enough for that then why does it matter?

joescrivens said:
Why do you care so much about what he says. If you think you are only good enough for that then why does it matter?

I don't care what he says really because I have my own views of our potential. I think we're a club that with our current resources should aim for a top 4 positions and a run in the cup competitions but not expect trophies, sadly. The problem is that's not in keeping with our history. Previously we've been one of the big fish who challenge for trophies every season but under current ownership and the hugely distorted transfer market that's come with grotesquely rich owners that's no longer the case. The bit I take issue with is the growing contingent of fans who appear to prefer aimlessly criticising the club than offer viable solutions and alternatives.

Its everything to do with money! Do you honestly believe RVP would sign for another club for less than what's been offered at Arsenal? If Arsenal were able to offered 250k a week and City 80k a week, would RVP leave to win things?

The Greek said:
Its everything to do with money! Do you honestly believe RVP would sign for another club for less than what's been offered at Arsenal? If Arsenal were able to offered 250k a week and City 80k a week, would RVP leave to win things?

Yes, I think he would. We will probably never know but I really think he is the opposite to someone like adebyour and genuinely wants to win, pretty much irrespective of salary.

Yes, I think he would. We will probably never know but I really think he is the opposite to someone like adebyour and genuinely wants to win, pretty much irrespective of salary.

He has been at Arsenal for 8 years and played 198 games, last season was the first time he has earned his wages.

So pre-season has already started already for Ross County...yeahhh. However it's not plan sailing over the boarder at the moment and I doubt much is reported south of the wall despite the potential effect that this will have on the following season and our game in general.

The face of Scottish football is about to change completely in the next few weeks, the bottom end has finally fallen out of the top league and Rangers are bust. Now the Newco Rangers bid has been rejected, it looks likely Scottish football stands on the brink of 'civil war' (not my term, used by our Chief Executive of the SFA) about where to place them. Money men want to place them into the first division so to safe guard any tv deals based on Rangers v Celtic games....where as the some clubs and fans want to see the rules followed, apply for the vacant place in the 3rd division.

Turnbull Hutton from Raith Rovers has so far come out with some classics. "We are being bullied and the Scottish game is corrupt" it's hard to argue against it.

If Newco Rangers are dropped into the first breaking all rules, then that's me done with football up here. I will not go to league that allows the system to be manipulated for the benefit of 2 teams in Scotland, that would not be a sport league....but a sports entertainment league. Would rather watch Shinty or rugby to be honest.

So pre-season has already started already for Ross County...yeahhh. However it's not plan sailing over the boarder at the moment and I doubt much is reported south of the wall despite the potential effect that this will have on the following season and our game in general.

The face of Scottish football is about to change completely in the next few weeks, the bottom end has finally fallen out of the top league and Rangers are bust. Now the Newco Rangers bid has been rejected, it looks likely Scottish football stands on the brink of 'civil war' (not my term, used by our Chief Executive of the SFA) about where to place them. Money men want to place them into the first division so to safe guard any tv deals based on Rangers v Celtic games....where as the some clubs and fans want to see the rules followed, apply for the vacant place in the 3rd division.

Turnbull Hutton from Raith Rovers has so far come out with some classics. "We are being bullied and the Scottish game is corrupt" it's hard to argue against it.

If Newco Rangers are dropped into the first breaking all rules, then that's me done with football up here. I will not go to league that allows the system to be manipulated for the benefit of 2 teams in Scotland, that would not be a sport league....but a sports entertainment league. Would rather watch Shinty or rugby to be honest.

What is this 'Scottish' football you talk about?.........never heard of it.

And this anger vented at Wenger is becoming so dull. You want him to come out and say that the reason Arsenal can't make big signings is because of the boards decisions? One, it is clearly the boards decision - it's their club - if they say they don't have the finances who is he to go against that, furthermore come out in the media and say it?! Would you denounce your employers?

What is this 'Scottish' football you talk about?.........never heard of it.

it's about kicking haggis around a field!

Yeah yeah yeah, rather tedious and boring insults against Scottish football aside....

Is none of the potential and sadly inevitable corruption of the game making the news down there?

Apparently, RVP is going to be taking the tea tray with him.

Well, he has been carrying 10 mugs all season.*

*I take no responsibility for this as it came from a work colleague.

Yeah yeah yeah, rather tedious and boring insults against Scottish football aside....

Is none of the potential and sadly inevitable corruption of the game making the news down there?

It is. What do you think about Rangers and Celtic in the English league eventually? Would Scottish football be better for it?

Personally I think the rules should be adhered to. They've no doubt not paid money to plenty of small businesses to so they have no sympathy from me, fans apart.

I imagine in this scenario TV money will dip hugely until they work their way back up, and that must affect all clubs. That said hopefully the league will be more competitive for a few years at least.

Tedious?

Scottish football is tedious, that is the whole point of my original post.

The SFA should hang their heads in shame over this debacle and not just blame Rangers. The planning of SFA's league structure is a joke and the boss saying 'we need Rangers' stinks of greed - something that got Rangers in a mess in the first place.

I have no doubt there are some very talented Scottish footballers but I could probably count on one hand who they were. Scottish football has been dying for 25 years.

It is. What do you think about Rangers and Celtic in the English league eventually? Would Scottish football be better for it?

Personally I think the rules should be adhered to. They've no doubt not paid money to plenty of small businesses to so they have no sympathy from me, fans apart.

I imagine in this scenario TV money will dip hugely until they work their way back up, and that must affect all clubs. That said hopefully the league will be more competitive for a few years at least.

First of all, Newco Rangers or Celtic into the English leagues can never happen, put simply UEFA would never allow it. Heck UEFA dislike the fact that Cardiff/Swansea and Wrexham play in the English leagues.....not too sure if they have caught on to Berwick Rangers yet.

As for whether Scottish football be better off without them, in the short term no but over time we would be able to restructure and cut our cloth accordingly. The hysterical comments about how attendance would plummet to the likes of the Northern Irish or Welsh leagues are laughable and best, and scaremongering PR from the Glasgow media at worst. Scotland's no1 sport will be, and forever will be football. Welsh have Rugby which draws much of the competition and Gaelic Football and Hurling rule the roost over in Ireland along with Rugby. Me personally would like to see the end of the Old Firm, but that's more down to the baggage that their support bring.

TV money will dip, that is pretty obvious, but to think there would be no TV in the Scottish game is shortsighted, Sky would either renegotiate a lower deal or someone else would come in (ESPN, BBC Alba MSG, Sport Five, BT Vision) Personally speaking, would like to see no TV at all and all games can be played at 3pm on a Saturday, allowing Sunday for it's proper use......recovery.

Tedious?

Scottish football is tedious, that is the whole point of my original post.

The SFA should hang their heads in shame over this debacle and not just blame Rangers. The planning of SFA's league structure is a joke and the boss saying 'we need Rangers' stinks of greed - something that got Rangers in a mess in the first place.

I have no doubt there are some very talented Scottish footballers but I could probably count on one hand who they were. Scottish football has been dying for 25 years.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post. Agreed the SFA should be ashamed at what they are attempting to do and hopefully if nothing else comes of this, a regime change would do. As for Scottish football being dying for past 25 years, not going to disagree. Hopefully we can restart and restructure not for improvement in the next few years, but aiming for longer term improvement, i.e. 15-20 years down the line.

Ironically, looks like the SFL are going to be holding there Newco Rangers vote next week........on July the 13th. Smooth

Last edited:
I'm actually behind Wenger and I really don't see the point in bashing Arsenal for running a tight ship.

OK they haven't won anything for 7 years or so but they finished 3rd last year after a shocking start to the season.

Take Chelsea and City out of the equation (different world) and they would have been runners up in the league. They finished above Chelsea anyway (I think) not to mention Liverpool who spent the kind of money some Arsenal fans want spent.

Arsenal haven't changed tact as much as it's Chelsea and City that have done that.

What would be the point of killing yourself financially to probably still fall short of competing with City and Chelsea when being financially sound can still give you a good chance of securing revenue from Champions League Football.

Yep - it's a right old mess and the implications are far reaching.

Some of my Rangers fans want entry to the 1st Division because they want back up to the SPL ASAP however many support the idea of entry to the 3rd.

Of those in favour of entry to the 3rd - some want it because they don't want to be forever reminded that they got an easy ride whilst an ever increasing number want entry to the 3rd becase it will screw so many other clubs and prove that Rangers are needed.

Difficult times.

Last edited:
Take Chelsea and City out of the equation (different world) and they would have been runners up in the league. They finished above Chelsea anyway (I think) not to mention Liverpool who spent the kind of money some Arsenal fans want spent.

They may have spent alot on transfers but the net spend is not that much. Arsenal seem to sell players but not spend the money on replacements. If they did this I doubt many Arsenal fans would moan about it!

They may have spent alot on transfers but the net spend is not that much. Arsenal seem to sell players but not spend the money on replacements. If they did this I doubt many Arsenal fans would moan about it!

Who are you meaning ?

Here's the Premier League's top ten highest spenders (net) over the last 5 year period. Arsenal are 10th highest albeit way in credit.

Manchester City: - £430.77 million

Chelsea: - £159.7 million

Liverpool: - £103.25 million

Sunderland: - £57.6 million

Tottenham Hotspur: - £49.4 million

Manchester United: - £47.25 million

Swansea City: - £8.25 million

Everton: - £5 million

Newcastle United: + £30.25 million

Arsenal: + £31.3 million

Who are you meaning ?

Here's the Premier League's top ten highest spenders (net) over the last 5 year period. Arsenal are 10th highest albeit way in credit.

Manchester City: - £430.77 million

Chelsea: - £159.7 million

Liverpool: - £103.25 million

Sunderland: - £57.6 million

Tottenham Hotspur: - £49.4 million

Manchester United: - £47.25 million

Swansea City: - £8.25 million

Everton: - £5 million

Newcastle United: + £30.25 million

Arsenal: + £31.3 million

Is that a table of just spends or spends and sales together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back