The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
TriggerHappy said:
10 goals and 10 assists in all competitions for arsenal last season and won't be missed? You're mad!

Bet you were one of those who boo'd him during the spurs game before he answered the critics with two goals.

I've just read another stat. Only RVP, nani, silva and young have provided more assists than Walcott in the last 2 seasons. OK, his crossing isn't the most consistent and sometimes he gets flustered when he has time on the ball to over think the pass/shot but these things can be learnt whereas his pace is something very rare and all the training in the world couldn't turn most people into a sprinter who can do 100m in under 11 seconds! People forget he's still only a young player because he was brought into the limelight so young. If a big offer comes in then fair enough, no one is worth keeping at all costs, but a likely offer of £10-15m vastly undervalues his uniqueness.

Goal.com are now reporting Arsenal will tell RVP that he will be made to see out his contract and won't be sold. Not sure if that's a smarter move or not.

TriggerHappy said:
Goal.com are now reporting Arsenal will tell RVP that he will be made to see out his contract and won't be sold. Not sure if that's a smarter move or not.

Stupid move and sums up the board and manager. Sell now for £20m but then invest in £20m sticker. Why keep an unhappy player and get nothing in a year?

joescrivens said:
I do like walcott but I find him a little lacking in execution at the end of his runs.

I'd welcome him to anfield though. Not sure how the partnership of him and johnson really works though, for england they both like to get forward too much and could leave defensive frailities at the back on the right.

Didn't downing cost £15m? If so that makes Walcott a £35m player!

cambsno said:
Stupid move and sums up the board and manager. Sell now for £20m but then invest in £20m sticker. Why keep an unhappy player and get nothing in a year?

They're gambling that in a year his age and injury history will reduce his value where they can compete financially with the offers he'll receive. It also gives them 12 months to prove they do have the ambition to win trophies.

We saw with Cesc that keeping a player who wants to go doesn't play at their best and I honestly don't think he's irreplaceable, as good as he is.

They're gambling that in a year his age and injury history will reduce his value where they can compete financially with the offers he'll receive. It also gives them 12 months to prove they do have the ambition to win trophies.

We saw with Cesc that keeping a player who wants to go doesn't play at their best and I honestly don't think he's irreplaceable, as good as he is.

Huh? If he sees out his contract he will go on free, right?

PMK said:
Huh? If he sees out his contract he will go on free, right?

Yes but the contracts he'll be offered from other clubs will be less lucrative meaning that Arsenal could offer wages of the same value rather than being blown out of the water by the big money clubs.

Didn't downing cost £15m? If so that makes Walcott a £35m player!

No because when Liverpool bought him from villa he came off a prem season of 7 goals and 7 assists.

Theo last season in the prem got 8 and 8. So largely comparative.

Yes but the contracts he'll be offered from other clubs will be less lucrative meaning that Arsenal could offer wages of the same value rather than being blown out of the water by the big money clubs.

But he'll be annoyed they didn't sell him when he wanted to move on so he won't sign for them. So all it does is cost them 30m in profit and result in an unsettled player.

Silly move

joescrivens said:
But he'll be annoyed they didn't sell him when he wanted to move on so he won't sign for them. So all it does is cost them 30m in profit and result in an unsettled player.

Silly move

Agreed. As soon as he released that statement I said he should be sold to the highest bidder.

Lee Dixon has left the BBC which I'm disappointed by. Always been a fan of his punditry.

Well, we are showing no ambition at the moment to win trophies and have not done for years, so whats gonna change in the next year?

cambsno said:
Well, we are showing no ambition at the moment to win trophies and have not done for years, so whats gonna change in the next year?

Not a lot unless Usmanov manages to press home his influence over the running of the club. The next 24 months will be times of change for Arsenal I suspect!

So Chelsea have announced a new sponsorship deal with Gazprom, a russian company that has a large number of shares held by Abramovic's son and slightly bizarrely the Chairman is Alisher Usmanov who is the second largest shareholder in Arsenal. Not only does it sound like a conflict of interest for Usmanov, it highlights the woeful inadequacy of FFP in preventing the personal riches of owners from bank rolling their club.

Liverpool are in the hunt for a right winger that will fit into their 'style'... They really could get a bargain in Nick Griffin

tiler65 said:
Liverpool are in the hunt for a right winger that will fit into their 'style'... They really could get a bargain in Nick Griffin

I don't get it.

:)

joescrivens said:
nick griffin is a politician firmly on the right wing. He's also chairman of the BNP so it fits in with luis suarez

I'm not saying the joke is funny - I'm just explaining it.

I know who nick griffin is. Just struggling to get the joke. Is it a joke? I don't know.

I know who nick griffin is. Just struggling to get the joke. Is it a joke? I don't know.

how can you not get the joke? If you know who nick griffin is then it's obvious, it's a play on words - right wing, suarez being suspended for racist behaviour, the club wearing the tshirts in support - meaning "their style"

it seems obvious to me what the joke is. I'm not telling you it's a funny joke, but surely you understand it? :shrug:

So Chelsea have announced a new sponsorship deal with Gazprom, a russian company that has a large number of shares held by Abramovic's son and slightly bizarrely the Chairman is Alisher Usmanov who is the second largest shareholder in Arsenal. Not only does it sound like a conflict of interest for Usmanov, it highlights the woeful inadequacy of FFP in preventing the personal riches of owners from bank rolling their club.

Like it or not - it's just the way it is

Same as City with the money they got in for the Etihad naming rights. Give yourself a huge pile of dosh way over market value that was sort of yours already and call it income.

I do get a bit disillusioned by it all when I see the likes of Paris St-Germain paying Ibrahimovic a reported £37,000 a day.

Don't get me wrong - I've nothing against clubs spending big but there's two things that stick in my throat.

Firstly - spending power (whether it be wages or transfers) is no longer prortionate to success on the pitch or reward for having a successful business model. It's just a lottery based on ownership. Unfortunately the same then applies to subsequent success.

Secondly - Supporters continue to get ripped off and despite paying higher prices for tickets and increased SKY prices to fund an even bigger Premier League TV deal - such a large % of the money is running straight through the club's we support and directly into the pockets of footballers.

FFP is all well and good but I'm not holding out much hope for it fixing anything. FFS is more apt.

Last edited:
Hoilett's under 24 so compensation must be paid to Blackburn but, even at £4m, potentially a great signing for us.

Ah that's answered my question before I even asked it. I knew compensation was to be paid but I didn't realise it was age related.

He's a bargain at £4m, if he can add a little end product to his dribbling he could be the league's best winger!

Last edited:
Ah that's answered my question before I even asked it. I knew compensation was to be paid but I didn't realise it was age related.

He's a bargain at £4m, if he can add a little end product to his dribbling he could be the league's best winger!

It's caused quite the storm on QPR forums, he's a player that a lot of fans have been hoping for for quite a while now.

There's quite a squad building up at the club now and expectation is going to be high for the coming season. Anything other than Top 10 cill be seen as a disappointment by many, personally I'll be happy if we stay away from the relegation mix.

fabs said:
It's caused quite the storm on QPR forums, he's a player that a lot of fans have been hoping for for quite a while now.

There's quite a squad building up at the club now and expectation is going to be high for the coming season. Anything other than Top 10 cill be seen as a disappointment by many, personally I'll be happy if we stay away from the relegation mix.

There's always a danger that a club grows into the league too fast and brings in too much new talent that hasn't settled into the club and loses its old core that kept them up. We've seen this before with the likes of Hull, Ipswich and Birmingham but I do hope QPR doesn't join them. As long as Barton doesn't feature much i'd love for them to challenge top 10!

There's always a danger that a club grows into the league too fast and brings in too much new talent that hasn't settled into the club and loses its old core that kept them up. We've seen this before with the likes of Hull, Ipswich and Birmingham but I do hope QPR doesn't join them. As long as Barton doesn't feature much i'd love for them to challenge top 10!

Well, if we're honest, we didn't really have a core last season so not really too much to lose in that respect but Hughes seems to be doing a good job of pulling everyone together in pre-season so here's hoping.

As for Barton, looks like he'll be going out on loan for the first half of the season so, with any luck, he'll do really well and whatever the club is will want to keep him.

I'm still pinching myself - our options going forwards this season are amazing - and yes £4million is a steal for him. Cisse, Tarrabt, Hoilett, Faurlin, Diakite, Park, Zamora, Johnson, Mackie.

All we need now in Samba in defence to add to Fabio and 4th place awaits us! :D Well maybe mid-table.

I am genuinely excited about the season now. :)

I don't think, with everyone fit, Barton will be first choice. Rumours of him potentially going on loan to a championship side as he would potentially server his suspension faster there (more games, season starts earlier) - who knows.

We pretty much destroyed our core at the start of last year, unlike Swansea and Norwich, and lost what made us good in the Championship.

Certainly we need time to gel a bit, but the end of last season was promising and we have added serious quality since then (admittedly mostly players over 30 but they will all improve the squad)

So who's watching the England v Sweden women's match?

Stop sniggering at the back :LOL:

Van Persie has refused to travel with Arsenal on their three match Asia tour leaving tomorrow in an effort to push through a transfer. He's hardly giving himself a dignified exit from the club that nursed him through 7 years of injury!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back