The Football Thread - Season 2012/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe, please note, THIS is what an embarrassing season is truly like!

I still think you'd be hard pressed to beat my team Wolves.... whatever feet we didn't shoot last season we're doing our damnedest to do this season! I wouldn't bet against us going through the trapdoor of the Championship this season...

Now, this is what an embarrassing season is truly like :LOL: :bonk:

I was at the Everton-QPR match on Saturday and QPR started the better of the two teams, with Andros Townsend looking a decent pacy winger and Remy probably the most interested of the outfield players, but once Everton scored you could see heads going down and they were never in it from that point on.

Granero is one of those who is not right for the team's current situation; he clearly has talent but looked disinterested most of the time and was frustrated and petulant before he was subbed, and when Taarabt came off the bench he had one of those games where he looked as though he'd rather be somewhere else.

Everton were no great shakes - probably (hopefully!) mentally reserving something for the Emirates - but once they were ahead they were comfortable. I have sympathy for QPR fans - your travelling fans gave good support throughout - but not for the players who have let them down.

Yep, you've pretty much summed us up right there!

according to Chris foy and the FA, it's fine to jump onto a player on the ground two footed with your studs! :thinking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22157469

what a ****ing joke!!!!!:wacky:

It was always going to be let off, just the same as that brutal McManaman challenge a few weeks ago.

I've lost track of how many times I've complained that the FA don't take action against incidents seen by the officials. Such an approach only perpetuates the expectation of officials to not make mistakes. If they accepted human error occurred and sought to rectify those mistakes retrospectively, in the name of fairness, it would relieve so much pressure from the referees because their decision made in seconds has lesser consequences on the successes or failures of a team's season.

according to Chris foy and the FA, it's fine to jump onto a player on the ground two footed with your studs! :thinking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22157469

what a ****ing joke!!!!!:wacky:

Which sums up my attitude to the FA. What a waste of space. I accept the ref may only get 1 view, in real time and may have not had a perfect view, but in terms of common sense why are the FA happy to leave it?

Why can aguero do that for no punishment, yet a manager can be fined for saying ref was poor?

Still, with man city playing Chelsea and spurs, for arsenal fans this is good news!!!

Well done Cardiff! Always nice to see a new name in the top flight (in my lifetime anyway) (y)

10 years ago next month, the QPR team hotel in Cardiff the night before the playoff final, a hotel fire alarm. We shall never forgive! :bat:

Well it doesn't look like you'll be able to get your own back next season :D

So, to the Cardiff fans who opposed the new red kit to bring good luck... Bearing in mind u lost the last 3 playoffs, do you think it worked and worth doing?

Hoping united can put this one away and win me £50 on the bet input on at 2-1 down.

Disappointed with that result. But I hope Carroll will come back to Liverpool next season

So, to the Cardiff fans who opposed the new red kit to bring good luck... Bearing in mind u lost the last 3 playoffs, do you think it worked and worth doing?

I'm one of those fans who has grudgingly accepted the kit change on the basis we didn't exactly have a queue of Asian billionaires waiting to save us from oblivion when Tan took over, so if rebranding to fit into his plans is the cost of stability and ultimately success, then so be it.

I don't think luck has really come into it though: more that the investment in players and the quality of manager that Tan's money had brought us has got us where we are now.

RVP well offside for their equaliser...watch it scarcely get a mention compared to Arsenal's offside goal against Norwich and the correct linesman intervention for the penalty.

The more football I watch the more convinced I am that the whole refereeing process needs an overhaul. Too many incorrect decisions happen every week and there's absolutely no effort to reduce them or restore parity post-match by the FA. (I'm well aware this would work against Arsenal as much as for).

Very impressed with Carroll. Good performance.
agreed apart from the "bombing" of Degea lol the tackle to stop hernandez near the end was very unexpected

All the manoeuvring to get Carroll on the cheap is starting. :thinking: West Ham can't afford him, though they do want him, and Newcastle will start the bidding at £7m apparently. :thinking:

It's obvious Rodgers doesn't want him, but I hope Liverpool don't let him go too cheap. We've sold badly, Torres aside, ;) over recent years because of the poor buying/selling policy, and changing managers. :bonk:

We almost got Carroll and Suarez for the Torres fee + £7-8m, so in reality losing money on Carroll may not be too bad, depending on how much, because Suarez has been so good to compensate. :)

Good that Carroll is back and getting a bit of good form at the end of the season.

He'll probably get injured again now. ;) :LOL:

RVP well offside for their equaliser...watch it scarcely get a mention compared to Arsenal's offside goal against Norwich and the correct linesman intervention for the penalty.

The more football I watch the more convinced I am that the whole refereeing process needs an overhaul. Too many incorrect decisions happen every week and there's absolutely no effort to reduce them or restore parity post-match by the FA. (I'm well aware this would work against Arsenal as much as for).

Incorrect decisions have always been a part of football, at all levels. Offisides/fouls/handballs missed and decisions going the other way.

The only way to 'overhaul' it is to introduce video replays. Not something I'd like to see, but with humans being humans - we make mistakes.

Incorrect decisions have always been a part of football, at all levels. Offisides/fouls/handballs missed and decisions going the other way.

The only way to 'overhaul' it is to introduce video replays. Not something I'd like to see, but with humans being humans - we make mistakes.

Kagawa's shot deflected off Collins before hitting both posts,that would make Collins the last player to touch the ball before Rvp so therefore not offside:shrug:

The more football I watch the more convinced I am that the whole refereeing process needs an overhaul.

The more I hear/read people bleating about injustice and their team being more hard done by than someone else, the more I think we need to stop scrutinising every decision.
Fair enough, some rules aren't clear enough and decisions are inconsistent, but I dont believe there is an agenda (and that goes for UEFA protecting Barca/Real).

Kagawa's shot deflected off Collins before hitting both posts,that would make Collins the last player to touch the ball before Rvp so therefore not offside:shrug:

doesn't matter - when kagawa struck the ball rvp was already in an offside position.

doesn't matter - when kagawa struck the ball rvp was already in an offside position.
Just thought I'd ask:) however he wasn't interfering with play and had the ball not Struck Collins it may have been a straight forward save or a goal even

so what is the rule now?
kagawa struck in the opposite direction to where RVP was and the ball hit an opposing player before eventually travelling in RVPs direction.
where does the 2nd phase of play come in? does RVP have to wait until 2, 3, 4 West Ham players touch the ball first?

I think the rule is:

If offside is given - it's offside.

If offside isn't given - it's onside.

I think the rule is:

Do journalists watch the same game as me? Patrick Barclay in the standard thought that Carroll should have seem red for the elbow to vidic. Well, all Carroll was doing was jumping with his eyes on the ball IMO and any contact was accidental.

so what is the rule now?
kagawa struck in the opposite direction to where RVP was and the ball hit an opposing player before eventually travelling in RVPs direction.
where does the 2nd phase of play come in? does RVP have to wait until 2, 3, 4 West Ham players touch the ball first?

i cant see how it could ever have been a 2nd phase of play , rvp was running in as kagawa struck the ball. if rvp had been running back onside when he struck it then changed direction and went back then "maybe"

I think the rule is:

I like this interpretation (y)

I think the rule is:

Normally I'd reply with this:

If it's for United - it's onside

If it's against United - it's offside

But considering the ref let Walcott go from an offside position against Norwich I can't really do that this time :LOL:

Normally I'd reply with this:

If it's for United - it's onside

If it's against United - it's offside

But considering the ref let Walcott go from an offside position against Norwich I can't really do that this time :LOL:

And a United fan would say the oppsoite going on to point out the ones that have cost us :LOL:

At the end of the day, the rules are there, sometimes officials get them right and sometimes they don't.

Going beyond offside - some rules are stupid and need to change but whatever rules they come up with - there will always be a degree of error and more importantly (with some rules) the official's interpretation of events

PFA nominations are published and as usual there seems some weird decisions! Jack Wilshere is in for young player when he's had only a small impact given the number of games he's missed - Ramsey is far more deserving even if we're just looking at alternatives from the Arsenal squad. Welbeck is also in there having only scored 1 goal all season. Hazard ahead of Cazorla seems a joke too considering all the stats surrounding how each player has done.

Another year, another strange selection!

There's not a single defender in there either. Apparently goals are all that matter, but even then it's not just a prize for the too scorer.

Last edited:
PFA nominations are published and as usual there seems some weird decisions! Jack Wilshere is in for young player when he's had only a small impact given the number of games he's missed - Ramsey is far more deserving even if we're just looking at alternatives from the Arsenal squad. Welbeck is also in there having only scored 1 goal all season. Hazard ahead of Cazorla seems a joke too considering all the stats surrounding how each player has done.

Another year, another strange selection!

There's not a single defender in there either. Apparently goals are all that matter, but even then it's not just a prize for the too scorer.

You are joking. Welbeck??? How?

Suarez, bale and rvp are easy choices. IMO Suarez has been good all season and plays for a worse team. Should be him.

I heard michael carrick is there too. Can't see why he'd be in there

Here are the nominees:

PFA Player of the Year -
Robin Van Persie
Juan Mata
Luis Suarez
Eden Hazard
Gareth Bale
Michael Carrick

Young PFA Player of the Year -
Gareth Bale
Danny Welbeck
Christian Benteke
Eden Hazard
Romelu Lukaku
Jack Wilshere

I think I would change at least a third of those. I'm not sure when they vote but I think it's december/january time, which always strikes me as odd. Surely it's better to pick a player of the season once the season is over rather than a player of the year at the year end?

Here are the nominees:

PFA Player of the Year -
Robin Van Persie
Juan Mata
Luis Suarez
Eden Hazard
Gareth Bale
Michael Carrick

carrick is the biggest red herring there. I cant see how he is compared to suarez, mata, bale and van persie

Token Englishman? Says a lot about the English league (and previous years too) but listening to Talksport, it's all foriegn players being suggested instead of Carrick.

I'm not bothered who wins it but I can't see past Bale / Suarez / RVP

What do the members actually look for when giving recognition to come up with the nominees anyway ?

Last edited:
I'm not bothered who wins it but I can't see past Bale / Suarez / RVP

What do the members actually look for when giving recognition to come up with the nominees anyway ?
Iam not too fussed either there are a few deserving winners.I think Carrick has had an unexpected decent season though:)

It's Mata for me who should win. He's had the greatest all around influence with goals, assists, chances created, passing, taking control of the game and also made plenty of defensive contributions despite his advanced position. He's also not suffered any sustained dips in form for the duration of the season. No one else in that list comes close in all around contribution to the game.

I think the young PFA is between Hazard and Bale, with Bale just edging it (no bias here).

Carrick's inclusion is a strange one. I'd have loved to see either Baines, Ivanovic in his place to represent defenders.

I'd also like to see players get nominated for one category or the other rather than both.

Nastasic's exclusion from Young PFA is shocking. He's been amongst the most imperious defenders of any age this season!

As I've said, how Wilshere got in there I don't know. As much as I love him and I am excited for his future, I'm under no illusion that he's not been on the pitch enough to be in that list and also he's not done enough whilst on the pitch. Ramsey and Gibbs have both excelled this season far beyond Wilshere's contributions, and that's before even looking at the young players elsewhere.

It's Mata for me who should win. He's had the greatest all around influence with goals, assists, chances created, passing, taking control of the game and also made plenty of defensive contributions despite his advanced position. He's also not suffered any sustained dips in form for the duration of the season. No one else in that list comes close in all around contribution to the game.

I think the young PFA is between Hazard and Bale, with Bale just edging it (no bias here).

Carrick's inclusion is a strange one. I'd have loved to see either Baines, Ivanovic in his place to represent defenders.

I'd also like to see players get nominated for one category or the other rather than both.

Nastasic's exclusion from Young PFA is shocking. He's been amongst the most imperious defenders of any age this season!

As I've said, how Wilshere got in there I don't know. As much as I love him and I am excited for his future, I'm under no illusion that he's not been on the pitch enough to be in that list and also he's not done enough whilst on the pitch. Ramsey and Gibbs have both excelled this season far beyond Wilshere's contributions, and that's before even looking at the young players elsewhere.
He's got a square head and he plays for Chelsea though:D can't see past Bale or Rvp

Obviously goals isn't all that matters, if Welbeck has only scored one goal. ;) :LOL:

In the BBC article here, they list all the goals the nominated forwards have scored, but don't for Welbeck, just that he has become an England regular. :bonk: :LOL:

I don't think there has been an outstanding keeper or defender that is vying for player of the season. :shake: But midfielders, and especially forwards, are always favoured unless there is someone really outstanding at the back. :shrug:

For me, the player of the year has been Suarez, but he won't get it because of his reputation.

For me the top 10 players of the season, in order are;

Suarez
Bale
Mata
van Persie
Michu
Benteke
Hazard
Baines
Lukaku
Cazorla

Overall though it has been a poor season for depth of individual quality and consistency imho. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back