The Football Thread - Season 2013/2014 & World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's Byker gone? He was getting busy in this thread before the North London Derby :LOL:

I thought that. Understandable, though...

United fans: Crying into the nearest pillow
Gooners: Still partying

International football - meh.

I have noticed a severe lack of Spudites locally, all crawled back under their rocks me thinks....

I thought that. Understandable, though...

United fans: Crying into the nearest pillow
Gooners: Still partying

International football - meh.

hi.

just got back from the Arsenal party i been to since Monday.

What have i missed?

If i have not missed anything, im heading back to the party.

Cheers

That's better.

Yeah, international football sucks. I'm very happy Sturridge isn't playing tonight.

That's better.

Yeah, international football sucks. I'm very happy Sturridge isn't playing tonight.

Well it does if you're British !! I bet the Germans & Spanish love watching International football :LOL:

It's going to be an interesting season for you guys, very difficult to predict where you'll end up.

It will be particularly interesting, yes ;) I'll be happy with top 4 and am glad there wasn't a great offloading of players; there were stories of several players being shipped out before Fergie announced his retirement.

Good game for England, and some very good goals too. Gerrard and Welbeck first the picks of the goals. Gerrards was inch perfect, and Welbeck controlled a perfect pass from Lambert to take it past keeper and defender.

Puts them in the driving seat with regards to qualification. :)

Yes, it may only have been Moldova, but those are the games which have tripped us up before. ;)

A similar score against Ukraine would be nice. :D

Good game for England, and some very good goals too. Gerrard and Welbeck first the picks of the goals. Gerrards was inch perfect, and Welbeck controlled a perfect pass from Lambert to take it past keeper and defender.

Puts them in the driving seat with regards to qualification. :)

Yes, it may only have been Moldova, but those are the games which have tripped us up before. ;)

A similar score against Ukraine would be nice. :D

Yaaaaawn! When is the real football back.

I see Kompany is out for several more weeks -that seriously dents City's challenge. It was also good to see Suarez looking so sharp.

Glen Johnson is facing 10 weeks on the sideline apparently. That's a blow for Liverpool. I'm not sure, despite all your new defenders, that any can play right back so it looks like Andre Wisdom will get thrown in at the deep end much the same way as Jenkinson was last season. Hopefully he takes to it like Jenkinson did as well!

Glen Johnson is facing 10 weeks on the sideline apparently. That's a blow for Liverpool. I'm not sure, despite all your new defenders, that any can play right back so it looks like Andre Wisdom will get thrown in at the deep end much the same way as Jenkinson was last season. Hopefully he takes to it like Jenkinson did as well!

It is a blow, but Kelly is almost back now and Wisdom had done pretty well in that position.

Wisdom played there at lot last year, so no worries from me. Although Johnson is the better player and will miss some of his attacking play down the right.

Just how delicate is Andy Carroll?? He's injured his foot (again) in training. When he's finally fit, I hope all those opposing teams out there will treat him gently ;)

He's a bit like the Samuel L Jackson character in Unbreakable!

Just how delicate is Andy Carroll?? He's injured his foot (again) in training. When he's finally fit, I hope all those opposing teams out there will treat him gently ;)

He's a bit like the Samuel L Jackson character in Unbreakable!

Isn't he just. At least we sold an injury prone striker who can't score for one who's prolific!

Isn't he just. At least we sold an injury prone striker who can't score for one who's prolific!

Yes, but don't get too cocky though, it was at a massive loss. :bonk:

We may have dodged a bullet, but it injured us in the process. :(
That extra £20-£25m could have come in very handy. :thinking:

And Sturridge has not exactly been injury free, being injured over the summer and injured now. But he has been prolific for Liverpool so far. 13 goals in 17 games, not many in the world scoring that well atm. :D Long may it continue. (y)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24029055

Physio chased off pitch after making goal-line clearance

A Brazilian team's physio stuns their opponents by making a controversial double save to prevent them scoring during a cup match, before being chased from the pitch.

Serie D club Aparecidence's physio sneaked on to the pitch during the game to block two attempts on goal from opposition side Tuti.

His efforts were enough to keep the game tied at 2-2, sending Aparecidence through to the semi-finals on away goals. Tuti are reportedly appealing to get the result overturned.

Yes, but don't get too cocky though, it was at a massive loss. :bonk:

We may have dodged a bullet, but it injured us in the process. :(
That extra £20-£25m could have come in very handy. :thinking:

And Sturridge has not exactly been injury free, being injured over the summer and injured now. But he has been prolific for Liverpool so far. 13 goals in 17 games, not many in the world scoring that well atm. :D Long may it continue. (y)

Yes, but Sturridge looks like a massive bargain so it's all swings and roundabouts.

I'm quite looking forward to the England game tonight.

I think a draw will be OK but a win would be a great result for us.

Walcott is so frustrating.

Does he always make the wrong decisions when passing on the counter or is it just in every game I watch.

Walcott is so frustrating.

Does he always make the wrong decisions when passing on the counter or is it just in every game I watch.

Walcott starts to look like he's improving and then goes back to not doing very much. Then again they were all like that tonight. :shrug:

A poor game, from both sides, but a vital point.

Normal England service resumed. ;) :LOL:

It is a blow, but Kelly is almost back now and Wisdom had done pretty well in that position.

Funny that Barton got slated for hitting out after being sent off against Man City the other season, yet Wisdom does the same and it hardly gets raised???

Walcott starts to look like he's improving and then goes back to not doing very much. Then again they were all like that tonight. :shrug:

A poor game, from both sides, but a vital point.

Normal England service resumed. ;) :LOL:

He didnt really get a lot of service, but agree, a great point.

Worrying for me is the lack of any player to keep possession and for us to string 4 or 5 passes together. Cant blame all the foreign players for that!!!

Thought Walker was poor, and maybe could have got a 2nd yellow?

Did we actually create any chances in the 2nd half??

Ashley Young never gets your hopes up in the first place.

Neither does Walcott, for me anyway. You know he'll get the ball, run and mis-control, or play a slack pass and the counter attack is on. He, like a lot of the England team, flatter to deceive.

Funny that Barton got slated for hitting out after being sent off against Man City the other season, yet Wisdom does the same and it hardly gets raised???

I have no idea. International football may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

Neither does Walcott, for me anyway. You know he'll get the ball, run and mis-control, or play a slack pass and the counter attack is on. He, like a lot of the England team, flatter to deceive.

Flatter to deceive is kind.

Was Gerrard abducted by aliens in the second half? Totally absent. But a poor performance all round - reminded me of the England of old (Taylor era).

Was Gerrard abducted by aliens in the second half? Totally absent. But a poor performance all round - reminded me of the England of old (Taylor era).

Poor performance could be harsh as aside from the close range header in 2nd half did hart have to make a save? Did the job and got a good result.

The other day there were some poor results like Czech losing and holland sneaking a 2-1 win over someone rubbish.

Worrying for me is the lack of any player to keep possession and for us to string 4 or 5 passes together. Cant blame all the foreign players for that!!!

Considering we supposedly had two world class midfielders in Gerrard and Lampard, and one who is touted to be in Wilshere, the possession was woeful.

Thought Walker was poor, and maybe could have got a 2nd yellow?

Walker was up against a very fast good winger, and you would hope that doesn't happen too often.

I think the biggest shock on the night was Luxembourg 3 - 2 Northern Ireland. :eek: Only Luxembourg's 4th win in a World Cup Qualifier ever. :eek:

So it could be worse. :LOL:

Last edited:
I rushed around like mad to get home and watch the game, I promised myself that I would stop doing so. However, I keep believing that one day, England will play an entertaining 90 mins, with good possession and flowing football, resulting in a win against a decent side. I think i`m living in cloud cuckoo land.

Wilshere, the next great thing? Jesus Christ he was crap last night, but he was not alone, Ashley Young is utter garbage, Lambert got no service, Walker was shockingly bad. The only two that had a decent game were the two centre halves.

We will probably get to Brazil and then fail,epically,once again, to get out of the group stages.

Football, in England, is in self destruct mode. We reward average players with huge amounts of monies and they are treat like superstars, in reality they are simply not good enough, recent international tournaments and CL shows that.

We treat them as world beaters, in all honesty, the majority are mediocre at best.

How many current England players would even get on the German or Spanish subs bench?............I can`t think of one.

They are substandard, over rated, over paid spoilt brats.

There, rant over, I feel a bit better now. Bring on the rugby league end of season entertainment.

I would like to see the Opta stats for these guys playing for club over playing for country. I'd imagine they would show that they are in fact different players. I gave up on international football a few years back when it became obvious that the top players don't actually play for England any more because they're too rich to care. What happens is the FA use conference players and Hollywood level make-up. This can be the only sensible conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back