The Football Thread - Season 2013/2014 & World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on the whisky all day (medicinal purposes) to clam my nerves, I'm now to p×××ed to know whether we've signed him or not.

I'm considering a dram (for medicinal purposes) although I don't think I'll be toasting any new arrivals.

Looks like Moyes is leaving this window empty handed. Good luck climbing that five point mountain to the champions elect now! I love David Moyes.

#ChampionsElect
#MoyesIn

I'd like to take a minute to thank Gervinho for his biggest Arsenal contribution. He went to Roma, which allowed Lamela to leave for Spurs as a replacement to Bale, who was subsequently partially funded by our acquisition of Özil. Brilliant!

Looks like Moyes is leaving this window empty handed. Good luck climbing that five point mountain to the champions elect now! I love David Moyes.

#ChampionsElect
#MoyesIn

Is that you Joe? ;)

In more important news, it appears AJ may be on his way to Palace, which if true leaves us with an unfit Zamora and Austin up front. Harry must have something up his sleeve if this is true.

Is that you Joe? ;)

In more important news, it appears AJ may be on his way to Palace, which if true leaves us with an unfit Zamora and Austin up front. Harry must have something up his sleeve if this is true.

Definitely not! I support my local team :D(y)

I've got my wig on.

Edit

At last Harry talking through the car window.

It's all over the place now. Also seems they got Coentrao on loan. Lukaku to Everton on loan confirmed by his personal twitter account.

It's all over the place now. Also seems they got Coentrao on loan. Lukaku to Everton on loan confirmed by his personal twitter account.

Is it actually confirmed anywhere officially yet?

McCarthy and Barry too. Some good signings for Everton.

Don't know too much about McCarthy but getting Lukaku is a great signing, and Barry should be decent.

Well it's not on Man U's website yet so it's not official. Seems highly likely now.

Can't believe no-one has signed Julio Cesar - Brazil's No1 keeper not currently playing for a Championship side. Guess he's not bothered about representing his country in their home world cup. Totally bizarre all round.

And I see we have also signed Kanjcar- not sure how I feel about that one.

We're all forgetting how amazing Newcastle have been in this window! Joe 'judge me on my signings' Kinnear has played a blinder :D

The Man U debacle re: signing that kid was priceless!

And us, Everton, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have actually used the window for its actual purpose i.e. strengthening their squads!

#MoyesIn :)

I'm hearing mixed messages regarding Ceontrao.

I'm hearing mixed messages regarding Ceontrao.

Seems a bit weird - maybe it's a cunning plan. Hi Gareth, we got rid of our left back by mistake, so can you, ermm, play left back until the next transfer window.

It would be a decent left side to be fair, Bale and Ronaldo.

Spurs might be feeling a little deflated...their 'special partnership' with Real Madrid has been an entirely one way street so far with Coentrao moving to United on loan. Having let Assou-Ekotto go to QPR that only leaves them with Rose in left back and Chiriches/Vertonghen at a push :LOL:

Seems a bit weird - maybe it's a cunning plan. Hi Gareth, we got rid of our left back by mistake, so can you, ermm, play left back until the next transfer window.

It would be a decent left side to be fair, Bale and Ronaldo.

Well he does seem to be some kind of Ronaldo stalker :LOL:

Not convinced the Coentrao thing has happened as it was reliant on a Real signing which I hear broke down.

As for the whole Herrera situation - I'd love to know what on earth went on there.

Last edited:
Don't know too much about McCarthy but getting Lukaku is a great signing, and Barry should be decent.

McCarthy is a good player - IMHO I'd probably take him over Cleverley which means (with Carrick being our only other centre mid) he'd get games.

We're all forgetting how amazing Newcastle have been in this window! Joe 'judge me on my signings' Kinnear has played a blinder :D

That was a strange one

The Man U debacle re: signing that kid was priceless!

That was even stranger - I feel sorry for Herrera in all this and suspect this story will run

And us, Everton, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have actually used the window for its actual purpose i.e. strengthening their squads!

Everton (Barry, McCarthy & Lukaku) have done well

Arsenal (Ozil) is a class player. Still think defence or up front was more of an issue.

Spurs (loads) will be stronger

Liverpool seem to have shipped out as much quality as they've brought in so it's all a bit Broject

United keep up the tradition of failing with big signings but have at least got a midfield player

Chelsea & City looking good for me.

Something that Wenger said last week regarding transfers was that too many in one go upsets overall performance. Certainly saw that on Sunday, as Spurs looked like a team of individuals.

Hopefully bringing in a couple of players will suit Arsenal. I think Flamini will have a big impact on the team, as Arsenal have lacked a vocal leader on the pitch, and the inclusion of Ozil will raise the overall quality of the starting 11.

I still think we need a striker. Giroud is what he is, a £10M striker, and we need more quality than that. Still, should be an interesting season.

Manure fans should count themselves lucky, there's no transfer window for managers, I just can't see Moyes achieving anything this season.

Would have been the icing on the cake had we signed a world class striker, but we didn't.

TBH, I'm not worried, we have players capable of scoring from all positions on the pitch, and worst case scenario Theo can play up front if need be.

Viviano and flamini could prove to be massive signing by Wenger and I would take these two over a forward any day.

I still think we need a striker. Giroud is what he is, a £10M striker, and we need more quality than that. Still, should be an interesting season.

Could have had Sturridge for 2 mill more or Michu for 8 mill less. ;)

And, yes, I know we bought AC.

I actually really rate Giroud. He was frustrating at times last year when he missed good chances but he's finding his feet a lot more now and will be good for us. Of course it would have been nice to bring in a massive name to give him some competition but thank God we withdrew interest in Suarez and don't have to suffer that poisoned chalice.

As for defence, our defensive record last season speaks for itself with the 2nd least goals conceded despite the highest number of individual errors leading to goals. One more RB/CB would have been ideal but it's really not a concern for me at this stage :)

We have a small squad of players who are very versatile and can play in a number of positions if needed so in that regard I'm very happy with the squad we have. The greatest satisfaction is knowing that we've been building towards this type of signing for 8 years and have achieved it entirely by ourselves. That makes such a massive transfer all the sweeter for any Arsenal fan.

And you'll get most of the money back when he asks to leave after you finish fifth. :D

I actually really rate Giroud. He was frustrating at times last year when he missed good chances but he's finding his feet a lot more now and will be good for us. Of course it would have been nice to bring in a massive name to give him some competition but thank God we withdrew interest in Suarez and don't have to suffer that poisoned chalice.

As for defence, our defensive record last season speaks for itself with the 2nd least goals conceded despite the highest number of individual errors leading to goals. One more RB/CB would have been ideal but it's really not a concern for me at this stage :)

We have a small squad of players who are very versatile and can play in a number of positions if needed so in that regard I'm very happy with the squad we have. The greatest satisfaction is knowing that we've been building towards this type of signing for 8 years and have achieved it entirely by ourselves. That makes such a massive transfer all the sweeter for any Arsenal fan.

The only issue is that our defs seem to make more 'costly' decisions.

I would have liked another att but happy with giroud as no 1

I know that Ozil is a fantastic signing, but I think the best bit of business we did was getting Flamini on a free. The difference he can make is immense, he's versatile, a proven winner and understands Wenger. On Sunday he was talking and directing at the back, something we haven't had for some time.

Giroud will get better, but somebody with a bit more pace and greater technically would have been excellent. Listening to the pundits last night, many of them saying this could be the new dawn for Arsenal, with an agile and intelligent team. Who knows ? Let's hope so.

In the last 12/13 games you've only lost one game - against Villa, before that I think it was Spurs last season. To me, that says your defence is in fantastic shape.

They were 2nd best in the league last season, and that was with Vamarlen playing awfully...

Jelster said:
I know that Ozil is a fantastic signing, but I think the best bit of business we did was getting Flamini on a free. The difference he can make is immense, he's versatile, a proven winner and understands Wenger. On Sunday he was talking and directing at the back, something we haven't had for some time.

Giroud will get better, but somebody with a bit more pace and greater technically would have been excellent. Listening to the pundits last night, many of them saying this could be the new dawn for Arsenal, with an agile and intelligent team. Who knows ? Let's hope so.

Completely agree about Flamini. I think he is a key signing. Sanogo...... Well I suppose AW did once pick up some young unknown young forward from France - I reckon Le Sulk turned out ok for Arsene!!

Now heard hoping the Eagles can make the new signings gel!!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back