The Football Thread - Season 2013/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've enjoyed the Chelsea Bayern game.

Into extra time.

I'm torn regarding who I want to win but there would be something odd about Chelsea being last English team to win the Super Cup, the Europa Cup, the Cup Winners Cup and the Champions League.

Good game indeed, hoping for a Bayern win but looking unlikely as the clock ticks down, they deserve an equaliser though

Shame lol

Good game, Bayern deserve it.

Certainly the better team and they had most of the chances later on although part of that was down to the fact that it was a Mourinho team with a lead.

That penalty was funny though.

Last edited:
I think I'd have preferred Chelsea to win.
British team always get my support (although Bayan looked good), and there's always those tiring foreign trips which could be good for the other premiership teams... ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“It has a negative impact when you lose your best players, always,” Wenger said. “Because you are perceived by your fans as having a lack of ambition. The rest of the squad loses strength in their team. We have gone through that process consistently and it always demands a mental adjustment to keep your ambition alive. It’s very difficult.”

Yup Arsen, when you don't replace them. Spurs have swapped one very talented player for 7 more talented players, so we now have a strong squad, something we've not had in several years. Hopefully we can now cope with key players away injured as we have quality replacements.

“There is a technical risk when you buy more than three players,” Wenger said, “because you unbalance the stability of your squad a little bit.

And that answers everyones queries on why Arsenal havent signed players. To be fair, they've done well for what they have, have a great stadium, but it's cost them trophies.

I'm getting a bit tired of Wenger. He's been a great coach but I find him really irritating these days. If we can't compete in the money stakes, say so...

Spurs have attracted good players by paying a bit over the odds for them but also they have a manager recognised as somone with huge potential to be the next big thing. Wenger on the other hand seems to be on a downward slope.

I'm so annoyed over the lack of activity this window that I'm seriously considering not going tomorrow, I never thought I'd be saying that....

I'm getting a bit tired of Wenger. He's been a great coach but I find him really irritating these days. If we can't compete in the money stakes, say so...

Spurs have attracted good players by paying a bit over the odds for them but also they have a manager recognised as somone with huge potential to be the next big thing. Wenger on the other hand seems to be on a downward slope.

I'm so annoyed over the lack of activity this window that I'm seriously considering not going tomorrow, I never thought I'd be saying that....

Could be Spurs have signed so many players because there squad is not as strong as Arsenals;) saying that a good keeper, centre half and proven goal scorer wouldn't go amiss at the emirates

8 good penalties. the last Bayern one a little fortunate, Lukaku's particularly poor.

And Ashley Cole wasn't! ;) :LOL:

I felt sorry for Lukaku, as I think he's a good young player.

Moaninho up to his tricks saying the best team lost. :thinking: :bonk:

Yup Arsen, when you don't replace them. Spurs have swapped one very talented player for 7 more talented players, so we now have a strong squad, something we've not had in several years.

Spurs seem to making the most of the transfer market, and the money they have. (or will get;))

If I was an Arsenal fan his comments explain a lot, and would have me worried that no matter how poor the team were (remember they are a top 4 team atm so not that bad;)) he would be reluctant to make the changes needed if the teams form were to dip dramatically. Teams don't tend to improve without players to improve the squad, and to not buy players in numbers will probably hinder the rate of improvement.

The placings of Arsenal and Spurs at the end of the season will show which strategy is the vest. (at least for this season)

Wenger seems to be happy to stay near the top, but has given up on winning the league. :shrug:

I know there are a couple of days left, but wenger appears to be clueless.

Our best 11 IMO is pretty much as good as anyone else can muster. However, we must have the weakest bench of the top 10 teams!!!

Five wins out of five now for the O's and stay top of division one

3rd win & 3rd clean sheet on the trot in the league. We've won 4 out of the 1st 5 games, that's as many as we won all of last season!

So far so good, long way to go but league wise we are looking good. Injuries I think will make or break our season.

Five wins out of five now for the O's and stay top of division one

Excellent stuff, will be good to see them go up this season. (y)

So far so good, long way to go but league wise we are looking good. Injuries I think will make or break our season.

It's my one worry Al, hoping H will do a bit of business in the next 2 days but please, not like the last 2 summer deadline days. :help:

Didn't think there was anything wrong with Cole's penalty.

You don't want to be hitting posts when taking penalties. ;) Yes, you could say it was perfectly placed, in off the post, but another inch (to the right in this case) and the ball could be coming back out. As it was, Cole's penalty rebounded across the goal quite close to the goal line.

I see Rooney could be out of the Liverpool game after suffering a head wound in training. I think it would take something quite serious for him to miss a game against Liverpool. ;)

3rd win & 3rd clean sheet on the trot in the league. We've won 4 out of the 1st 5 games, that's as many as we won all of last season!

Thats because you have Barton back!!

Told everyone he is a decent player!

Thats because you have Barton back!!

Told everyone he is a decent player!

Talk Sport debating which is the biggest game.....

Liverpool V Man Utd or Arsenal V Tottenham

It's a no brainer isn't it ?

Double post again - what's going on ?

Last edited:

It's not really a fair question though, is it? One is a City's derby game, the other one has only turned into a real, bitter hatred filled rivalry between 2 North West sides since the Mancs got good when the Premiership was born, and have been winning everything they can, whilst their once imperious North West neighbours flounder in the league. ;)

It's not really a fair question though, is it? One is a City's derby game, the other one has only turned into a real, bitter hatred filled rivalry between 2 North West sides since the Mancs got good when the Premiership was born, and have been winning everything they can, whilst their once imperious North West neighbours flounder in the league. ;)

How old are you ?:thinking:

I think Sid is old to know better (42?)
However, i'm guessing he's Canadian, so we should let him off :LOL: ;)

As for TS, their 'debates' are generally recycled wind ups aren't they?

Last edited:

Depends on what criteria you measure by. :shrug:

But by most ways of measuring, the Liverpool v Man Utd game is the biggest game. Possibly one of the biggest games in the World each year.

I think most people around the World will be watching the Liverpool v Man Utd game rather than the Arsenal v Tottenham game.

Hope it's a good game with all those people watching. ;) :LOL:

How many derby games are there in that city though? :shrug: 60 btw.

Also, they're London teams so the rest of the country doesn't care. ;)

Could be Spurs have signed so many players because there squad is not as strong as Arsenals;) saying that a good keeper, centre half and proven goal scorer wouldn't go amiss at the emirates

It's difficult to pick a player I'd like to steal from Arsenal.

Wenger seems to be happy to stay near the top, but has given up on winning the league. :shrug:

I think thats the thing. Wengers been a really good manager getting the most from a team without any money (even better than moyles) whilst the club sorted the finances for the new team. Trouble is thats been 5-6 years and the club seems to have relaxed on talent spotting.

Spurs have had scouts out everywhere identifying players

It's difficult to pick a player I'd like to steal from Arsenal.

Wiltshire is world class. I think Walcott would get into pretty much any team. Podolski and possibly cazorla too would make most teams.

I know there are a couple of days left, but wenger appears to be clueless.

Our best 11 IMO is pretty much as good as anyone else can muster. However, we must have the weakest bench of the top 10 teams!!!

I just don't understand what is going on. Why would you out the squad players if you didn't have people to replace them with ?

All it seems he has done now is cut the wage bill, but not done anything with it.

Well, we'll know by 6pm where we stand, Spuds is always a good test as we are generally around the same position at the end of the season.

Gerrard to score first and Liverpool to win 2-1 @ 125/1 looks good to me!

Kiss of death for Liverpool, but I think they will win today.

It's normally a frantic scrappy affair at Anfield.

Rooney injured.

I'll go for :thinking::thinking: 1:1 or 2:1 to Liverpool

I hope the Shankly stuff is respected.

Last edited:
United 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back