The Football Thread - Season 2014/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to media reports Arsenal are signing 18 players . Could rise to 44 by transfer window day.

I think he likes working with Pardew. Looking forward to seeing him play again this season, as long as he doesnt do anything special against my rabble (y)

Palace will sweep all before them as we win... the bottom half of the table.

Our issue could be the keeper - Speroni will be retiring very soon (end of this season I reckon) and his form could suddenly drop. Hennessey has threatened to leave due to lack of game time - if he does, we could find ourselves short of quality between the sticks if Jules can't keep his performance level up for the whole season.

Cabaye to Palace!!!! Fantastic if that's confirmed!

Good player - that would be a fine signing.

As for United :

Enjoyed listening to Memphis Depay today at the press conference - I'm looking forwards to seeing him next season.

Looks like we finally got a right back today - Matteo Darmian. Only seen a handful of his games for Italy (including v England) but I like what I've seen.

German Paper Bild (usually reliable) are saying Bastian Schweinsteiger is on his way but I'm sceptical about that.

Schneiderlin would still be my preference for midfield along with Otamendi at the back.

Last edited:
German Paper Bild (usually reliable) are saying Bastian Schweinsteiger is on his way but I'm sceptical about that.

Schneiderlin would still be my preference for midfield along with Otamendi at the back.

Looks like you are getting both. Could be an interesting season for you next year though looks like you may need a keeper.

Looks like you are getting both. Could be an interesting season for you next year though looks like you may need a keeper.

Woodward is on fire lol

It's looking like my wish list is coming true. what a couple of days ahead of the tour tomorrow.

Memphis Depay - very excited by him. I'll stick my neck out now and say I think he's going to be a top player over the coming years be it with United or elsewhere.

Matteo Darmian - much needed. Not just quality (but versatile) defender.

Bastian Schweinsteiger - have to wait and see. Carrick is missing games so I'll welcome some additional experience and leadership in the middle. A bit of steel too.

Morgan Schneiderlin - talk about under the radar, the midfield player I most wanted. When the Bastian signing was announced I hoped he wasn't 'instead of' but I do like this fella. Fingers crossed the breaking news is true.

The keeper situation (DDG) Real are clearly going in with a 'low ball' offer. If all they're offering is 12m because he's in the last year of his contract - I'd tell them to go forth and let him go on a free next season. Casillas has gone so it's put up or shut up Madrid. Chances are he'll go but it will depend on what we're doing behind the scenes for a viable alternative.

Last edited:
No Raheem, it's not about the money....although 200k a week is not to be sniffed at (or inhaled through a balloon). It's all about developing young English players. Like Rodwell. Sinclair. Adam Johnson.

No Raheem, it's not about the money....although 200k a week is not to be sniffed at (or inhaled through a balloon). It's all about developing young English players. Like Rodwell. Sinclair. Adam Johnson.

At least he didn't turn City down like Delph lol

I know City are desperate to build up their English contingent but Sterling is good enough to actually be a player for City rather than another English player sucked up and wasted.

The fee - it's a funny one. When you actually step back and think about it Liverpool have fleeced City. Bonkers for what he's actually done over a short period of time. That said - given the English 'premium' and the 'potential' then who knows how it might be viewed in retrospect.

Fingers crossed he knuckles down and does well for England.

I know Sterling said his reason for wanting to leave wasn't about money but during the whole pantomime - what's the most LFC offered him given they priced him as a £50m

Last edited:
As a Liverpool fan, I'm so glad, to see the back of Sterling. Yes, he's "potentially" a great player, but his recent attitude, I honestly don't think, he has the mentality for it.

I think he's a perfect example of what is wrong with the game. Player shows skill and then thinks they're the most wonderful thing since sliced bread!

Respect is earned and is only earned over a longer period. Certainly not earned by showing a lack of loyalty and a prima donna attitude!

Let's hope Liverpool, use this inflated transfer fee wisely, i.e. better than they used the £75 million for Suarez.

At least he didn't turn City down like Delph lol

I know City are desperate to build up their English contingent but Sterling is good enough to actually be a player for City rather than another English player sucked up and wasted.

The fee - it's a funny one. When you actually step back and think about it Liverpool have fleeced City. Bonkers for what he's actually done over a short period of time. That said - given the English 'premium' and the 'potential' then who knows how it might be viewed in retrospect.

Fingers crossed he knuckles down and does well for England.

I know Sterling said his reason for wanting to leave wasn't about money but during the whole pantomime - what's the most LFC offered him given they priced him as a £50m

Fair play to Delph. He said he was a loyal person when he signed his contract.

He didn't want to be a rich benchwarmer who was on the fringes gathering the odd medal as opposed to playing week in week out at villa.

He went up in my estimation.

He got offered nigh on 100k at Liverpool didn't he? Lots of money. Under a coach who would continue to develop him!

Just hope Liverpool don't come in for Bolasie.

Fair play to Delph. He said he was a loyal person when he signed his contract.

He didn't want to be a rich benchwarmer who was on the fringes gathering the odd medal as opposed to playing week in week out at villa.

He went up in my estimation.

He got offered nigh on 100k at Liverpool didn't he? Lots of money. Under a coach who would continue to develop him!

Just hope Liverpool don't come in for Bolasie.

Are Liverpool linked with Bolasie ?

I've been impressed with him. Very dynamic but not always composed. Bit of a firework but the quality is there.

PS

A few more reports now going with the Schneiderlin to United story.
Combined with Bastian it makes complete sense.

I'll be happy to see Sterling gone. I hope he's a success at Cit€h, but with the attitude he and his agent have shown, I fear he could be another English player who disappears there. I think Liverpool have done a great deal. :clap: For a player with 19 goals and 21 assists in 95 games, £49m is an amazing amount of money. :eek: I think QPR get £9m ish of it though.

Cit€h should save some money though, as he didn't want to move for the money. He was happy with £35k a week. ;) :LOL:

I think Delph has made the best choice for his career atm. He needs to be at a team where he plays every week to build his profile, and cement a place for England. He can always move later. He did things right. Signed a new deal, and then got offered a move, but decided against it. If Sterling would have just signed a deal, all the cr*p could have been avoided.

Not sure about Schweinsteiger, it could be a bit too late in his career. Time will tell. :thinking:

Well done Liverpool. Think sterling will become another Aaron Lennon.

Great to see delph turn them down. Nice to see first team football is more important, respect the guy b

Worried about Man U. Losing de gea will cost them but some great signings.

:eek: I think QPR get £9m ish of it though.

With the new rules now PL clubs can just poach players like sterling from any club without the top status academy for virtually nothing - pretty shameful stuff from the PL. But thankfully you went after him before that changed to thank you very much :)

I think Delph may be in for some stick given his previous comments.

I'm shocked. But not shocked. Just when I had new found respect for footballers.

Not good news for Sherwood. Although Benteke to Liverpool is a mistake.

Benteke a mistake for Liverpool ?

I rate him. He may not be the most 'fashionable' forward but his record is good. The price is steep but he could turn out to be a good signing.

Benteke a mistake for Liverpool ?

I rate him. He may not be the most 'fashionable' forward but his record is good. The price is steep but he could turn out to be a good signing.

But not for the way Liverpool play. They're not exactly a "cross if early into the box early" team.

He's a good player. Rodgers May pair him with his national team mate Origri

Benteke is a good player but is he just a slight upgrade on Carroll!

But not for the way Liverpool play. They're not exactly a "cross if early into the box early" team.

He's a good player. Rodgers May pair him with his national team mate Origri

Benteke is a good player but is he just a slight upgrade on Carroll!
I thought the same, but then I took the time to watch more of him, and he's not AC. He has much better feet and scores all sorts of goals. It will mean that we have to play a little differently within the 4-3-3 that BR appears to have stuck on through the pre-season, but it might yet work. Origi will be third choice at best, and down to fourth when Sturridge is fit - his finishing is as raw as Sterling's.

Ings will be the most likely partner for CB to open up, although it's even more likely that we play one striker with the depth in our attacking midfield ranks.

I reckon Milner is the most important signing though.

As for FD's u- turn, well, it's no real surprise at all. Can't really blame him wanting an upgrade, but it was a daft thing to say.

So finally Adidas can pull out the stops due to the Nike deal ending at midnight.

Shockingly bad vid but hey - £750,000,000 :eek:

Last edited:
Looking forward to Memphis today. Early, but I think he's going to be a big hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back