The Football Thread - Season 2014/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. With a couple of the right signings last summer we could have won the league. If we had a world class keeper and decent cb plus a great def mid champ league could have been possible. Stuff that has been clear for ages.

Yeah yeah..... And if we had Ronaldo, Messi & Benzima.......

Building a new squad is not an overnight job, bringing in a host of new players destabilises the team (Liverpool & QPR are good evidence). Arsenal have played better than anyone else in the 2nd half of the season, they've had a great cup run and played fantastic yesterday. No nerves, lots of confidence, unlike last year. Be careful what you wish for.

I have a theory, and it may all just be rose tinted thinking, but.... Viera has now completed his coaching badges and is running the City youth squad. He is an Arsenal man, he has said he's like to return, and with Wenger's contract having 2 years left to run I think Viera could come in and Wenger go upstairs. That would work and suits everybody. Except Simon of course.

Arsenal look so much better with Walcott up front, and what a goal from Sanchez !! Glad I was there to see it :banana:

Yeah yeah..... And if we had Ronaldo, Messi & Benzima.......

Building a new squad is not an overnight job, bringing in a host of new players destabilises the team (Liverpool & QPR are good evidence). Arsenal have played better than anyone else in the 2nd half of the season, they've had a great cup run and played fantastic yesterday. No nerves, lots of confidence, unlike last year. Be careful what you wish for.

I have a theory, and it may all just be rose tinted thinking, but.... Viera has now completed his coaching badges and is running the City youth squad. He is an Arsenal man, he has said he's like to return, and with Wenger's contract having 2 years left to run I think Viera could come in and Wenger go upstairs. That would work and suits everybody. Except Simon of course.

Arsenal look so much better with Walcott up front, and what a goal from Sanchez !! Glad I was there to see it :banana:

We don't need a host of new players... just a few, and these are the type we have been screaming out for over the last few years. We have not had a great keeper since Lehman, I like Scezney but he is not up to the level of Hart, de Gea, Courtois. We lack a world class def as well as a ball winning mid like matic. Add those three and we have a great squad. Yes, 2nd half we have done well but thats arsenal... do it when it doesnt matter! What about the CL farce this season?

Sepp Blatter to quit as president :eek: :jawdrop: :banana: :clap: (y) :LOL:

I thought he would only leave in handcuffs or in a box. The Feds may be closer to nabbing him than we thought. ;) :LOL:

Let's hope there is someone with some integrity to step in.

I think if they were close to getting him he would have stayed on - easier to hide your tracks and people less likely to speak out against you when you are in power. He would be in more danger now in my opinion.

As who steps in, or puts themselves forwards, should be interesting. Can't see anyone from UEFA getting in.

We don't need a host of new players... just a few, and these are the type we have been screaming out for over the last few years. We have not had a great keeper since Lehman, I like Scezney but he is not up to the level of Hart, de Gea, Courtois. We lack a world class def as well as a ball winning mid like matic. Add those three and we have a great squad. Yes, 2nd half we have done well but thats arsenal... do it when it doesnt matter! What about the CL farce this season?
You serious? David Seaman yes but Lehman world class? You have to be joking.

Danny Ings signed for Liverpool today. I'm really not sure about that, but for the money he's got to be a better bet than Lambert or Borini.

Danny Ings signed for Liverpool today. I'm really not sure about that, but for the money he's got to be a better bet than Lambert or Borini.

I think Liverpool have done good business there.

BR trains players better. Ings scored 11 goals in a struggling side. My mate is a burnley season ticket holder and has been really impressed with ings over the last couple of seasons.

Sturridge when fit, Origri might be ok and Ings. Still feel they need to sign a more "proven" striker. And get rid of lambert, balotelli, Borini.

Clyne would be a great signing but think he'd go to other clubs ahead of Liverpool. Milner is great business.

Sterling......not sure where I stand on him. Good for Liverpool of they can get him playing (and sack his agent!). Take the money, hope Ibe develops and sign a replacement (not Bolasie!!)

I think Liverpool have done good business there.

BR trains players better. Ings scored 11 goals in a struggling side. My mate is a burnley season ticket holder and has been really impressed with ings over the last couple of seasons.

Sturridge when fit, Origri might be ok and Ings. Still feel they need to sign a more "proven" striker. And get rid of lambert, balotelli, Borini.

Clyne would be a great signing but think he'd go to other clubs ahead of Liverpool. Milner is great business.

Sterling......not sure where I stand on him. Good for Liverpool of they can get him playing (and sack his agent!). Take the money, hope Ibe develops and sign a replacement (not Bolasie!!)

I agree with all of that, mate. Personally, I'd cash in on Sterling. He can't stand BR and has dropped massively in performance. Next season will be all about him again. Get rid, move on. Where he goes is the big issue.

I thought the Champions League Final was a good game. I wanted Juventus to win, so after the start Barca got, I'm glad Juve stayed in it, and got a goal. Best team won though.

Not sure the England game was as bad as people make out, I'm sure I've seen them play worse. :( :LOL: But it wasn't a good game, and there are not many other footy stories to talk about. :rolleyes:

Saying that, Liverpool have been trying to generate column inches. I like that we got Milner. :) I think he is a consistent player at a high level, and a good example for the others.

Liverpool getting rid of Rodger #2 and #3 seems very odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it. :thinking: Depends who they bring in to replace them, and who decides who comes in. :thinking:

Not sure about the Ings signing. It is definitely a good price, whatever it will turn out to be, but will he be good enough. He'll be an improvement on Balotelli, but then that won't be hard. ;) So that will be Sturridge, Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Ings and Origi, unless they get rid of some of them. And that is for a team that played a lot of games without any Strikers last year. :rolleyes: :( :LOL:

I was surprised Sterling got booed throughout in the England game. I wouldn't have thought there were that many Liverpool fans who would have bothered going to the game. Maybe he and his agent are not popular with general footy fans. :thinking: Unfortunately for Sterling, his performance wasn't enough to stop the boos. I hope Liverpool sell him. I'm fed up with the BS, and don't want it to drag through the Summer and into next season.

The only good thing is Liverpool have got some deals done early. Getting all the ins and outs done before pre season training should always be the aim imho.

I was surprised Sterling got booed throughout in the England game. .... Maybe he and his agent are not popular with general footy fans.
Nail. Head.

Liverpool getting rid of Rodger #2 and #3 seems very odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it

Covering his backside and blaming them for the poor performance of the season? Pascoe was our fitness coach and he had a bigger derby than me. To me he is a "yes" man and fits in what Rodgers style is? You only have to watch the programme, "Being Liverpool" to see his style. He came across to me as little bit of a bully and he picked on Sterling in the programme if my memory serves me right?

It was often quoted down here that his Linquistic Programming training (spl) got him to b******t with the best of them and he believes his own b******t, watch him with his comments of "like I said" as he is thinking his next words.

He got us to the premiership, but the foundations were based by Martinez and Sousa and he tried to take all the glory for the way we played. Martinez introduced the system with the backing of the board and without our style of play we would still be in the 1st or Championship. It was the style of football that got us promoted, as we wern't in a position to buy ourselves out of the leagues. Our current Directors, who are fans, will never change our style of play in the near future, as introduced by Martinez.

I also believe we may have struggled in our second season with Rodgers and I feel it was a blessing getting Laudrup at the time. I'm suprised Liverpool haven't sacked him this year.

Another thing, I don't believe he has knowledge of the European / World Leagues, which for me Laudrup excelled at, as with the case of Bony. He tries to buy players he knows, Sturridge and Borini from his Chelsea Days? Borini who was also loaned to us in Championship, Sigurdson from his Reading days, Joe Allen from us etc.............................. IMO they aren't world class players a club like Liverpool should be attracting.

Covering his backside and blaming them for the poor performance of the season? Pascoe was our fitness coach and he had a bigger derby than me. To me he is a "yes" man and fits in what Rodgers style is? You only have to watch the programme, "Being Liverpool" to see his style. He came across to me as little bit of a bully and he picked on Sterling in the programme if my memory serves me right?

It was often quoted down here that his Linquistic Programming training (spl) got him to b******t with the best of them and he believes his own b******t, watch him with his comments of "like I said" as he is thinking his next words.

He got us to the premiership, but the foundations were based by Martinez and Sousa and he tried to take all the glory for the way we played. Martinez introduced the system with the backing of the board and without our style of play we would still be in the 1st or Championship. It was the style of football that got us promoted, as we wern't in a position to buy ourselves out of the leagues. Our current Directors, who are fans, will never change our style of play in the near future, as introduced by Martinez.

I also believe we may have struggled in our second season with Rodgers and I feel it was a blessing getting Laudrup at the time. I'm suprised Liverpool haven't sacked him this year.

Another thing, I don't believe he has knowledge of the European / World Leagues, which for me Laudrup excelled at, as with the case of Bony. He tries to buy players he knows, Sturridge and Borini from his Chelsea Days? Borini who was also loaned to us in Championship, Sigurdson from his Reading days, Joe Allen from us etc.............................. IMO they aren't world class players a club like Liverpool should be attracting.
I tend to agree. We're stuck with him for now though so I'll support him.

All rumours agog in the papers. Austin possibly to Chelsea. Falcao to Liverpool. Sterling possibly to city if they up their bid.

I think that falcao (wherever he ends up) will do well next season.

All rumours agog in the papers. Austin possibly to Chelsea.

I think Austin to Chel$ki would be a mistake for him. Anyone going there would be a back up to Costa with limited playing time. There's talk of Remy moving already because of lack of playing time.

Falcao to Liverpool. Sterling possibly to city if they up their bid.

I think that falcao (wherever he ends up) will do well next season.
I don't see where that confidence comes from. :thinking: He didn't seem to click at any point last season. I can't see Falcao being a hit here, and I definitely wouldn't want him at Liverpool.

I hope Cit€h up the bid for Sterling, and common sense doesn't kick with them. ;) :LOL: The sooner the Sterling circus stops the better. :rolleyes:

Great win for Wales tonight. :clap:

I think Austin to Chel$ki would be a mistake for him. Anyone going there would be a back up to Costa with limited playing time. There's talk of Remy moving already because of lack of playing time.

I don't see where that confidence comes from. :thinking: He didn't seem to click at any point last season. I can't see Falcao being a hit here, and I definitely wouldn't want him at Liverpool.

I hope Cit€h up the bid for Sterling, and common sense doesn't kick with them. ;) :LOL: The sooner the Sterling circus stops the better. :rolleyes:

Great win for Wales tonight. :clap:

Falcao was never fully fit. He was feeling his way back. If he stays in the premier league and gets regular game time, I can see him scoring 15-20 goals next season. Didn't Walcott have a similar injury and was eased back. Falcao tried to rush back for the World Cup.

Falcao still has it in him.

He had very little chances at United.

All rumours agog in the papers. Austin possibly to Chelsea.

Looking more likely Newcastle (which would be good move for him and would follow in Remy's footsteps) or Southampton. Guess players need to fit into systems, and he is not the fastest, but I'm surprised there is not more interest in him. McLaren at Newcastle has the QPR connection having coached with us for a few months so let's see.

We have just signed the once promising Jay Emmanuel Thomas, be interesting to see how he does, is apparently more focused nowadays and still only 24. On a free certainly worth a go.

Looking more likely Newcastle (which would be good move for him and would follow in Remy's footsteps) or Southampton. Guess players need to fit into systems, and he is not the fastest, but I'm surprised there is not more interest in him. McLaren at Newcastle has the QPR connection having coached with us for a few months so let's see.

We have just signed the once promising Jay Emmanuel Thomas, be interesting to see how he does, is apparently more focused nowadays and still only 24. On a free certainly worth a go.

JET is worth a punt! Talk of Morrison back to England with qpr too

I know it was agreed a while back but it was nice to finally see Memphis Depay unveiled as a United player.

JET is worth a punt! Talk of Morrison back to England with qpr too

I pray to all the gods of the universe we do not take Morrison on. If Ferguson and Allardice can't sort him out, I'm pretty sure we can't!

I hope the lad still has it in him, but I don't Liverpool taking the risk. Did that last season with Balotelli, and thet did not work at all. :( :mad: :rolleyes:
Mario wasn't a gamble, he was utter madness. He's virtually unmanageable in a side built for his game. It was extraordinary arrogance for BR to think that he could coach him to press and make runs in behind.

Surprised that Walcott didn't start ahead of andros....

Great goals by willshere.

How a part time Spud gets in ahead of Walcott just amazes me.... Twinned with how poor Rooney was, you do have to ask a few questions. Wilshire has been on fire since returning from injury, Walcott too. It was good to see Jack get his first England goals in such style, but truthfully, like any Arsenal player, he doesn't score ugly goals ;) (And Walcott gave the assist to Rooney too.....)

Great goals from Wilshere. Though as he said himself, about time. :rolleyes: Both great strikes though. :clap:

The commentator said 'give Rooney enough chances and he will stick one away'. :thinking: Give almost anyone enough chances and they'll stick one away. :rolleyes: For a £200k+ striker he should be more clinical in front of goal imho. There were a couple he should have scored before he did.

I couldn't understand sticking Henderson at right back with Cline on the bench. :thinking: But then I didn't understand Jones at RB with Cline on the bench. :confused: Typical England, playing players out of their normal positions. :rolleyes:

Great result for Wales. :clap: Good result for Scotland and the Rep of Ireland. Bad result for Greece getting beaten again by the Faroe Islands. :eek: As if things weren't bad enough in Greece. :LOL:

I couldn't understand sticking Henderson at right back with Cline on the bench. :thinking: But then I didn't understand Jones at RB with Cline on the bench. :confused: Typical England, playing players out of their normal positions. :rolleyes:

Roy must be learning from Brendan.

I pray to all the gods of the universe we do not take Morrison on. If Ferguson and Allardice can't sort him out, I'm pretty sure we can't!

A strange waste of a potential talent. As you say, Man U and West Ham couldn't make it work and Birmingham and Cardiff both turned him down after loan periods. And now he wants to leave Lazio without having kicked a ball for them claiming "homesickness". He's certainly damaged goods but hopefully QPR will find a very long bargepole :)

Good result and some decent play from England. It makes such a difference not having Gerrard spraying it around and losing possession every five minutes.

A strange waste of a potential talent. As you say, Man U and West Ham couldn't make it work and Birmingham and Cardiff both turned him down after loan periods. And now he wants to leave Lazio without having kicked a ball for them claiming "homesickness". He's certainly damaged goods but hopefully QPR will find a very long bargepole :)

We had a player who came through our youth ranks called Leon Jeanne. Look real quality at a time when we actually had real quality players, and Gerry Francis in charge. Sadly all his ability was in his boots and the upstairs department was sadly lacking, I believe he was recently sent to jail for some involvement in drug dealing or something similar. An utter waster of talent. You have to wonder about the friends of some of these footballers, who seem happier to see them not playing and destroying their future careers and in reality their one true chance to be set-up for life. With friends like that as they say.....

Still seeing as we are QPR I expect to see a 'QPR in double swoop for Morrison and Nile Ranger' headline shortly :eek:

We had a player who came through our youth ranks called Leon Jeanne. Look real quality at a time when we actually had real quality players, and Gerry Francis in charge. Sadly all his ability was in his boots and the upstairs department was sadly lacking, I believe he was recently sent to jail for some involvement in drug dealing or something similar. An utter waster of talent. You have to wonder about the friends of some of these footballers, who seem happier to see them not playing and destroying their future careers and in reality their one true chance to be set-up for life. With friends like that as they say.....

Still seeing as we are QPR I expect to see a 'QPR in double swoop for Morrison and Nile Ranger' headline shortly :eek:

You can throw Balotelli into that mix too :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back