The Football Thread - Season 2014/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can throw Balotelli into that mix too :rolleyes:

Now there's a trio, Balotelli, Morrison and Ranger. :eek: The things football nightmares are made of. :jawdrop:

The stuff of nightmares!

We've just re-signed Jamie Mackie - so happy about this I'm almost delirious. The complete opposite the those mentioned above and a number of our squad over the last few years - not the most skillful but better than he is given credit for, 100% commitment, chases everything, a joy to watch, energises the crowd and of course fond memories of his goal to win the match against Liverpool a few years when we came back from 2-0 down and on the way to relegation to a remarkable turnaround.

I'm almost hopeful for next season!

Falcao to Chelsea is an interesting move.

There's no doubt he was one of (if the hottest) striker around a couple of years ago.

Personally I think he's still got a lot to offer. He killed himself to get to the 2014 World Cup when he wasn't really ready. It wasn't the best prep for a new season and then he didn't get the supply he needed up front at United anyway.

Time will tell if he'll ever get back to the level he was at before his injuries but he seems to have a great worth ethic and comes over as a good guy.

I suspect there's a little bit of Jose's ego wanting to prove he can get a tune out of him and in some ways I hope he does.

It's odd for a player of his calibre to be loaned and loaned again but given the right circumstances and another bit part season under his belt, he could be a great addition for Chelsea.

Last edited:

There's no doubt he was one of (if the hottest) striker around a couple of years ago.

Personally I think he's still got a lot to offer. He killed himself to get to the 2014 World Cup when he wasn't really ready. It wasn't the best prep for a new season and then he didn't get the supply he needed up front at United anyway.

Time will tell if he'll ever get back to the level he was at before his injuries but he seems to have a great worth ethic and comes over as a good guy.

I suspect there's a little bit of Jose's ego wanting to prove he can get a tune out of him and in some ways I hope he does.

It's odd for a player of his calibre to be loaned and loaned again but given the right circumstances and another bit part season under his belt, he could be a great addition for Chelsea.

My thoughts exactly. It's a low risk strategy for chelski. Although it may be the tipping point for Remy to go.

My thoughts exactly. It's a low risk strategy for chelski. Although it may be the tipping point for Remy to go.

I obviously hope he doesn't perform 'too' well - but I think with a good pre-season he could be more of the player we know compared to his last year. There again it could be Torres all over again. Worth A punt though.

Last edited:

Whilst I doubt he would go there now after what happened, Remy is precisely the sort of player Rodgers should be going for. There must be something, but I really can't understand why no-one other than Chelsea at the last minute tried to sign him, great runs, great shot on him. Play him all season I'm convinced he'd get 20+ goals in a top 8 side.

Whilst I doubt he would go there now after what happened, Remy is precisely the sort of player Rodgers should be going for. There must be something, but I really can't understand why no-one other than Chelsea at the last minute tried to sign him, great runs, great shot on him. Play him all season I'm convinced he'd get 20+ goals in a top 8 side.
The inside info on that was he arrived at Anfield giving it the big 'I am', which did not go down well with the hierarchy.

The inside info on that was he arrived at Anfield giving it the big 'I am', which did not go down well with the hierarchy.

I guess that's why they opted for the quiet, shy and retiring Balotelli then! ;)

I guess that's why they opted for the quiet, shy and retiring Balotelli then! ;)
Mario is a daft bugger, but he's not a massive ego dick. He really is shy and very humble.

Liverpool have been very active. So firminho deal almost done. 29 million. City must be coming back I reckon for sterling. You do feel that if they get their other targets that they'll be challenging for 4th. Clyne? Illarimendi? A decent forward (I don't think Benteke is a good fit for Liverpool)

Cech deal all but done. If half of his talent inspires scezny it'll be worthwhile for that alone.

Liverpool have been very active. So firminho deal almost done. 29 million. City must be coming back I reckon for sterling. You do feel that if they get their other targets that they'll be challenging for 4th. Clyne? Illarimendi? A decent forward (I don't think Benteke is a good fit for Liverpool)

Cech deal all but done. If half of his talent inspires scezny it'll be worthwhile for that alone.
I don't know enough about Firminho to have an informed opinion really. We need a quality RB, DM and striker.

I don't want Benteke - not quick enough. We need a striker to run in behind the lines. I'll take Lacazette, please!

Great bit of business by Everton.
I assume you're talking about Deulofeu. If he plays as well as a couple of years ago when he was at Everton, it will be good business.

I was talking to a Spanish chap in work during the week and he said that there may be something not quite right with the lad. After a good season at Everton, he went back to Barca and was immediately loaned out to Sevilla, where he struggled to get into their team. A Spanish newspaper selected him as part of the worst team of the year. Maybe he is just suited to the Premier League. :thinking:

I don't know what to make of the goings on at Liverpool. :confused: Great that they are getting the signings done early, and spending the cash, but Rodgers losing some of his backroom staff, and then not a peep out of him about any of the signings as far as I can see, seems weird. :thinking:

I assume you're talking about Deulofeu. If he plays as well as a couple of years ago when he was at Everton, it will be good business.

I was talking to a Spanish chap in work during the week and he said that there may be something not quite right with the lad. After a good season at Everton, he went back to Barca and was immediately loaned out to Sevilla, where he struggled to get into their team. A Spanish newspaper selected him as part of the worst team of the year. Maybe he is just suited to the Premier League. :thinking:

I don't know what to make of the goings on at Liverpool. :confused: Great that they are getting the signings done early, and spending the cash, but Rodgers losing some of his backroom staff, and then not a peep out of him about any of the signings as far as I can see, seems weird. :thinking:

It's odd. Who's making the signings? Ayre only went out for the photo opportunity, so who did the deal?

The players we sign are important, but the back room staff are crucial. Unless we bring in a decent goalkeeping and defensive coach little will change. As we saw over the past two seasons you cannot win 5-4 every week.

Deulofeu looks like a bargain, but, yes, they let him go so cheaply... Although, look what happened with Coutinho!

I don't know enough about Firminho to have an informed opinion really.

He's been very good for Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga and he's recently broken through into the Brazil 1st team. More of an advanced midfield player / second striker - possibly what you might call a number 10 I guess.

He's been very good for Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga and he's recently broken through into the Brazil 1st team. More of an advanced midfield player / second striker - possibly what you might call a number 10 I guess.
All of that I know, but that's not the same as watching the player. :)

I've seen him in odd games - he's good on the ball, quick and will also put a tackle in.
Yeah, that's what I hear. He'll be great as long as he's not trying to supply Benteke...

Yes. Until it's on arsenal website you can't say

I think it's a certainty.

Been away for a while so I've been out of the transfer muppet merry go round.

With my Man United hat on I'm happy with the signing of Memphis Depay so far.

In terms of who we're being linked with - Schneiderlin is exactly what we need. Gundogan also. Schweinsteiger is a bit older but along with Carrick could do a job. Gaitan would get my vote.

At the back - Ramos from Real Madrid. Still think he's playing for a contract but with them after De Gea you never know. Not young but we could use some experience in that department. Otamendi would be my preference.

Still Need a new striker too.

Last edited:
World class keeper in his prime for 10 million . Brilliant bit of business by Wenger. Can see why Maureen isn't happy but fair play to Chelsea for rewarding Petr Cech for his services and loyalty.

World class keeper in his prime for 10 million . Brilliant bit of business by Wenger. Can see why Maureen isn't happy but fair play to Chelsea for rewarding Petr Cech for his services and loyalty.

Good business by Arsene. Also clears up any doubt who wears the trousers at Chelsea. Compare that to Arsenal where I guess Wenger has significant say into who goes where.

Fact is, in 12 months he could have walked away and nothing they could do about it. Chelsea may be winning stuff but they have no class, it's only because Cech wanted the move that he got it. Holding on to him would have lost them so much money (even to the Russian mafia, £10k is £10k...) Moanio won't be happy but it made commercial sense for him to go now.

it's only because Cech wanted the move that he got it. Holding on to him would have lost them so much money (even to the Russian mafia, £10k is £10k...)
You've contradicted yourself there. If Cech hadn't pushed for the transfer, would they have sold him? First you say no, then you say yes.

You've contradicted yourself there. If Cech hadn't pushed for the transfer, would they have sold him? First you say no, then you say yes.

He had a year left on his contract, and he wanted to stay in London. "Sell me to a London club of my choice or I walk next season". That even works in my man maths.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back