The Football Thread - Season 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, seeing as the new season as started, a new thread. :) Unless I have missed it and it already has been started. ;)

I watched a couple of games yesterday, Bournemouth v Aston Villa, and Chel$ki v Swansea.

The Bournemouth game was quite a boring game, with not much happening. They made it look better than it was on MothD imho.

The Chel$ki game was very good. Swansea came out meaning business, and Chel%ki were trying to play the open attacking game they started with at the beginning of last season. Definite penalty and sebding off, no matter what Moaninho tries to insinuate by not talking about it. Surprised to see Ivanovic getting taken apart by Montero, as he is consistently one of Chel$ki's best players. Maybe it was just as they said in the commentary, Ivanovich can't handle fast players running at him. I doubt there will be many as good as Montero was yesterday.

I thought Swansea deserved the points, but that is why Chel$ki are Champions, they managed not to lose. Hope Swansea can keep that up all season.

I saw a Chel$ki player warming up, and thought 'who is that?' I didn#t recognise Falcao with hi makeover. :LOL:

Nice to see Leicester carrying on where they left off last season. And top of the League too. ;) :LOL:

Just waiting to see how Liverpool start the season. Hopefully not the way they finished the last one. :oops: :$ :rolleyes: :LOL:

Last edited:
I usually close the old thread and move relevant posts into a new one but this is fine. (y)

I know someone else had started the new season threads previously, but I thought one day in, I'd better do something rather than just wait and be passive. ;)

Something I forgot to add to the previous post, was that I thought Andre Ayew took his goal brilliantly. :clap: He was a player Liverpool have been linked with for a few years, not sure if it was more from his side as he has said he is a big Liverpool fan. If he carries on like that, and it may be one Liverpool come to regret.

Unusual for two brothers to be making their debuts at the same time for different teams, with his brother Jordan playing for Aston Villa. I thing Andre had the better debut. ;) Both sons of a famous father, Abedi Pele, and African football legend from the 80's/90's.

Wenger Out!................

God, that was a dire game, but 3 points and a clean sheet at Stoke with Lovren in defence and a worldie from Barca's marquee signing next season will do me!

Stoke v Liverpool was not great game, :( but a great goal to win it. :clap:

Looks like Petr Cech is getting a bit of stick. I think he's used to a better defence in front of him. ;) :LOL: He'll have to adjust quickly.

Saw the Newcastle v Southampton goals. That looked a bit lively. :)

Wenger Out!................

Too right!!! I was there!

Absolute toss. Hard to work out if West Ham were any good as we were so poor. Montreal was decent and the Ox was good, the rest were poor - very poor. Looked like a pre season friendly with very little effort and Wenger spent naff all time in the tech area, at least try to motivate the team. Half arsed was being too generous... scared to shoot, kept passing sideways, no urgency... Wenger out!

Stoke v Liverpool was not great game, :( but a great goal to win it. :clap:

Looks like Petr Cech is getting a bit of stick. I think he's used to a better defence in front of him. ;) :LOL: He'll have to adjust quickly.

Saw the Newcastle v Southampton goals. That looked a bit lively. :)

Only saw it live, not seen motd yet but the first was more around rubbish defending imo, but the 2nd he should have done better.

Keep a watch out for my other team, Cambridge Utd in L2. Bought some very good players in the summer, and IMO will finish top 3.

That Chelsea doctor is a disgrace and as Jose says does not understand football. I mean, really, running onto the pitch to treat a player who appears injured......how long has she been there and still she thinks the player is injured, I mean what is she a doctor or a referee?

Nice finish. Gutted / delighted depending on which was my team lol

And as if more proof was needed, the one player who worked hardest last week - ox - has been dropped. Wenger really is clueless.

Watched the game after a busy night shift. Have to say I'm sad I still don't live down south as I think Selhurst Park is going to be awesome this season (even if we tend to do better away from home). Pardew has moved us on. Also, exactly HOW MANY book able offences does it take for an arsenal player to be sent off. More than 4 apparently and even then it's not likely.

I'm liking our three behind the striker. Bolasie, Puncheon and Zaha. Having Mac and cabaye behind is also great.

I think we ran them close and had Wickham scored rather than hitting the post, it would have been uncomfortable!

He scored a couple of great goals, but missed a goal of the season contender. If he builds on that performance, Utd may have got a bargain. It will be an interesting 2nd leg, though that last minute goal could be enough for them. :)

I know the miss you mean - speedy run and cross from Shaw and a deft touch by Rooney ending in Memphis shooting high over. It was all very fast and what a goal it could have been.

As a Sunderland fan, can we talk about something else!!!
Seriously though, we were bad last season, don't know how we got worse. Looks like another player revolt similar to the Di Canio one to me. Bad times ahead I think

As a Sunderland fan, can we talk about something else!!!
Seriously though, we were bad last season, don't know how we got worse. Looks like another player revolt similar to the Di Canio one to me. Bad times ahead I think

Early days but it does feel a if you will be in, or close to trouble this season.

I know most people on here would not be excited by a home game with Rotherham, but it will be my first trip to Loftus Road in a year. Things are more positive now. Faurlin (probably won't \ should not play Sat) is back from his 3rd ACL injury and played most of Tuesday's AWAY win at Wolves from 2-0 down, we also won in the CUP (about our 2nd victory in the cup in about 14 years in any round - I'm not joking!), Luongo looks good who we signed from Swindon, no-one wants to pay £15 million for Austin (good!) though still expect he will leave, Phillips still here, Football League fine looks like it will reduce from 50 million to 5-8 million or less, Chery looks excellent, no more players in the squad who think they are too good for us. Green still around also.

Going with my brother added bonus, kids being dropped off round the corner at their grandparents.

Looking forward to hearing this on matchday

Early days but it does feel a if you will be in, or close to trouble this season.

I know most people on here would not be excited by a home game with Rotherham, but it will be my first trip to Loftus Road in a year. Things are more positive now. Faurlin (probably won't \ should not play Sat) is back from his 3rd ACL injury and played most of Tuesday's AWAY win at Wolves from 2-0 down, we also won in the CUP (about our 2nd victory in the cup in about 14 years in any round - I'm not joking!), Luongo looks good who we signed from Swindon, no-one wants to pay £15 million for Austin (good!) though still expect he will leave, Phillips still here, Football League fine looks like it will reduce from 50 million to 5-8 million or less, Chery looks excellent, no more players in the squad who think they are too good for us. Green still around also.

Going with my brother added bonus, kids being dropped off round the corner at their grandparents.

Looking forward to hearing this on matchday

And don't forget, it's Stan Bowles day.

We saw a few glimpses of skill at the O's from the mercurial Mr Bowles, past his best when he signed and rumour has it he only came because of the close proximity to Hackney dog track.

Was a tremendous player on his day and must have been great for QPR supporters to see him in his prime, that was an excellent team when they finished runners up in the old div 1

We saw a few glimpses of skill at the O's from the mercurial Mr Bowles, past his best when he signed and rumour has it he only came because of the close proximity to Hackney dog track.

Was a tremendous player on his day and must have been great for QPR supporters to see him in his prime, that was an excellent team when they finished runners up in the old div 1

Great days indeed, my dad started taking me when he signed for us. Definitely my childhood hero, I consider myself highly privileged to have seen him play live.

So sad that he's been diagnosed with Alzheimers and still only 66

Very sad indeed about Stan, have a look at our second goal from Tuesday night, reckon he would have approved of it

Indeed he would

Who was the winger who wore white boots that played in that QPR team, always impressed me when I saw them on tv, think he came from Burnley or Carlisle

Dave Thomas (came to us from Burnley), one of the best wingers to grace the game IMHO

And don't forget, it's Stan Bowles day.

Never saw him play but met him a couple of times, once at his book signing and once randomly after a football tournament I played in. Good to see him there on the pitch but could not be interviewed - you could tell he still had his 'cheeky' side shall we say.

As for the match we still looked a bit too open defensively and better finishing from Rotherham would have seen us in trouble. Faurlin played and really got us working, so happy he is back, though he was mostly at fault for one of their goals. Good to see some actual football played, positive intent. Harder tests lie ahead certainly, but a good start for us so far. Just need to see if Green, Phillips and Austin stay. That's 4 in 4 for Austin (2 goalkeeping howlers and one penalty so not worth signing really). A thoroughly enjoyable match at Loftus road, and it's been a long time since I've said that!

Never saw him play but met him a couple of times, once at his book signing and once randomly after a football tournament I played in. Good to see him there on the pitch but could not be interviewed - you could tell he still had his 'cheeky' side shall we say.

As for the match we still looked a bit too open defensively and better finishing from Rotherham would have seen us in trouble. Faurlin played and really got us working, so happy he is back, though he was mostly at fault for one of their goals. Good to see some actual football played, positive intent. Harder tests lie ahead certainly, but a good start for us so far. Just need to see if Green, Phillips and Austin stay. That's 4 in 4 for Austin (2 goalkeeping howlers and one penalty so not worth signing really). A thoroughly enjoyable match at Loftus road, and it's been a long time since I've said that!

Sadly, all I've seen is the 20 seconds Channel 5 gave it this evening but, from what I've heard, some negatives but a fair few positives. Great to see back to back wins, been way too long. The next week or so is going to be tense for fans but hopefully we won't lose too many of our best players. Intrigued as to what Ramsey's contingency plan is though

View attachment 44626

Apparently, our Stan was in the Crown & Sceptre drinking with fans for quite a while after the game, true legend!

Sadly, all I've seen is the 20 seconds Channel 5 gave it this evening but, from what I've heard, some negatives but a fair few positives. Great to see back to back wins, been way too long. The next week or so is going to be tense for fans but hopefully we won't lose too many of our best players. Intrigued as to what Ramsey's contingency plan is though

View attachment 44626

Apparently, our Stan was in the Crown & Sceptre drinking with fans for quite a while after the game, true legend!

Sky tend to have slightly better highlights you can watch free on their site (not much better). Definitely more positives that negatives. Not sure how we would do without Faurlin, he really makes us tick. Luongo looks potentially very good, at this level anyway.

I think our games will be exciting if we keep the same sort of personel - not masses of tracking back from our front players and great ability and nice passing exchanges going forwards. Players still getting to know each other of course, but we always looked like conceding today, but also definitely looked like we had goals in us. I'm not that bothered about going up but some games where we go for it and play it on the deck a bit is a nice refreshing change.

Sky tend to have slightly better highlights you can watch free on their site (not much better). Definitely more positives that negatives. Not sure how we would do without Faurlin, he really makes us tick. Luongo looks potentially very good, at this level anyway.

I think our games will be exciting if we keep the same sort of personel - not masses of tracking back from our front players and great ability and nice passing exchanges going forwards. Players still getting to know each other of course, but we always looked like conceding today, but also definitely looked like we had goals in us. I'm not that bothered about going up but some games where we go for it and play it on the deck a bit is a nice refreshing change.

I'm not that bothered about going up either tbh, a couple of years consolidation in the Championship could be the making of us. Anything other than like the last 2 cracks at he Premier League!

Some interesting results in the Premier League. For a quite a while there weren't that many goals heading towards half time. Thankfully things picked up. :)

Glad that Bournemouth got a good win. :clap: I thought Leicester were unlucky. Mahrez is still in his purple patch. :)

Not too impressed by Spurs. They don't seem to have got any better side Pochettino has gone there imho.

Nice that Sunderland have a bit of positivity. Their fans didn't deserve the way their team were playing. There was a bit of fight, and quality at last.

Some interesting games tomorrow. Will Chel$ki see an improvement? And will the media talk about now the 'Doctorgate' smokescreen seems to be over.

Will Southampton look like the team from last season?

How will Cit€h do against a team with a little bit of form. Everton should be full of confidence.

I'm obviously looking forward to Monday and Arsenal v Liverpool. Not sure which way that will go. Weird having two Monday games one after the other. :thinking:

The water breaks came out of the blue in the games today. In the game I was watching the commentators didn't seem to know it was going to happen. :confused: :LOL:

good win for cardiff city yesterday we needed that .its been a decent start to the season a massive improvement on last season .fabio de silver had a great game things are looking up

West Brom v Chel$ki was a good and eventful match. :clap: Pedro looks like money well spent.

If you watch this on TV tonight, at the start, remind yourself that this game started at 1.30pm. I have never seen a day game look so much like a night game, with the floodlights needing to be on. :eek:

I'm obviously looking forward to Monday and Arsenal v Liverpool. Not sure which way that will go. Weird having two Monday games one after the other. :thinking:

And Fri games too!!!!

When I was a lad, you knew by the end of Sat where the teams stood and didn't have to wait until Mon bloody night :mad:

good win for cardiff city yesterday we needed that .its been a decent start to the season a massive improvement on last season .fabio de silver had a great game things are looking up

You played well against us, not quite sure how we got 2-0 up. Be interesting to see who you get on, Russell Slade did a great job at Orient.

I'm not that bothered about going up either tbh, a couple of years consolidation in the Championship could be the making of us. Anything other than like the last 2 cracks at he Premier League!

Absolutely! I personally prefer the Championship, it's so much more open in terms of who might go up and who might go down, plus more evening games I can get to. More importantly I'd be happy if we go back to our roots (Which we seem to be) buying in relatively unknown players, it's what I was used to, and makes it interesting how they develop.

Absolutely! I personally prefer the Championship, it's so much more open in terms of who might go up and who might go down, plus more evening games I can get to. More importantly I'd be happy if we go back to our roots (Which we seem to be) buying in relatively unknown players, it's what I was used to, and makes it interesting how they develop.

It's just nice playing in a league where teams could finish anywhere between 1st & 24th

I thought the Arsenal v Liverpool game was a good one, considering the result. ;) Lots of chances, a little controversy, and I think overall, a fair result.

Amazing to think Liverpool had two 18 year old's, and a 19 year old on at end, in such a big game. :eek: (Gomez, Ibe and Rossiter) Gomez has started at Liverpool unbelievably well. An 18 year old right footed Centre Back, playing at Left Back, and not looking out of place. :clap: Hopefully he will keep the form going.

A big season for my team, Sheffield Wednesday. New chairman, new manager and a whole host of new players. Its refreshing for us to actually spend any money. Im hoping for a top 10 finish realistically.

Ben

Wenger out! Rubbish against west ham. Very poor v Liverpool and by all accounts not great despite a man advantage for 75mins today. Yet he buy a defensive mid or a quality cb? Of course not as "we can win the league with the squad we have"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back