The Football Thread - Season 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are even less United fans here than liverpool these days :D
Hard to call the winner of the FA Cup final, but I think palace have a chance of nicking it.

Clattenberg seems to have decided who he wants to win!

Well, that was pants. Wasn't even a good game.
With about 25% possesion, I think we know who is largely to blame for that
Regardless of my loathing of the big money teams, I can't accept the 10 man defence tactics that so many teams emply against the likes of United. And when their supporters can't accept that a ref made a mistake, but are blind to a thuggish stamp (pretty much acknowledged by a hero of that team) I have no sympathy for them.
Well done the big money team (who didn;t deserve to go through against the blades in the first place, but that's football for you)

I agree, it was a shame Palace resorted to negative tactics (which IIRC we did in the 1990 replay as well) - I went into the game expecting to lose but at least wanting us to put on a show.
In the end we didn't disgrace ourselves (I thought Soare had a great game) but it wasn't much of a spectacle. Had Clattenberg done his job properly Palace might have been 1-0 up early on and things would have panned out differently (probably a 5-1 battering to United!), but we'll never know.
I think both teams were guilty of some fruity challenges but Jedinak's was particularly nasty. I also don't like the tactic of fouling players on the break, safe in the knowledge that referees are reluctant to hand out yellow cards for obstruction near the half-way line - but that annoys me week-in, week-out.

Clattenberg was Man Us best player I thought. Gutted Palace lost but they did seem very negative.

Even in my post-match sorrow, I feel sorry for van Gaal. Pretty naff to leak his sacking before the post match conference!

Even in my post-match sorrow, I feel sorry for van Gaal. Pretty naff to leak his sacking before the post match conference!

Think he knew it was coming, and the one year payoff will sooth things!

Will be interesting predicting top 4 next season... Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea all have genuine chances to finish there - and 6 into 4 don't go... and thats assuming Southampton or West Ham don't push on!

Will be interesting predicting top 4 next season... Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea all have genuine chances to finish there - and 6 into 4 don't go... and thats assuming Southampton or West Ham don't push on!

Actually I think we had that discussion around this time last year, without Leicester, who was going to be top 4. Too early to say, Leicester and Spurs will have to fend off raids for their players

Looks like the Xhaka deal has been done already. Can't remember Arsenal getting signings sorted this early before. Now he'll probably get injured before the season starts....

He's probably OK for money already.
But not letting him (and the team) enjoy their victory - even for an hour, let alone overnight - was pretty classless.

He's probably OK for money already.
But not letting him (and the team) enjoy their victory - even for an hour, let alone overnight - was pretty classless.
There has been no official announcement from the club or from Jose apparently. I'm sure he knew beforehand and LVG is happy enough as he has won 'titles' in 4 countries, which he says no-one else has done.
Soon as I heard it, i though it was just typical of the media trying to race to break the "news"

3 years ago Man Utd decided against Moanio as he put himself before the club, yesterday it seems that the leak of his appointment came from his side rather than Utd's. That's just typically him and shows they were right first time round....

Haven't there been loads of 'reports' that Moaninho was to be Utd Manager within days since he got booted out of Chel$ki! :thinking:

I understand why Utd fans are yearning for someone else, because while it has been effective, it hasn't been good to watch.I'd be very wary of Moaninho as the answer, as while he is a proven winner, some of his teams have not been pretty to watch. And if he comes in with that attitude, isn't that the same as van Gaal? :thinking:

It is amazing though that a Manager who won the Premier League, :clap: but turned that team into relegation candidates within months :eek: can apparently be considered for one of the top jobs in the world as their possible next job. :thinking:

There has been no official announcement from the club or from Jose apparently.
It is very odd. Here's what the BBC says:
United's executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, and Joel and Avie Glazer, part of the American family who own the Premier League club, were at Wembley on Saturday,

But they are not thought to have spoken to Van Gaal at a function following the 2-1 win over Crystal Palace.

As the reports about Van Gaal's impending departure spread, the function is said to have become a sombre affair.
So how did these "reports" come to "spread", if nobody at the club had said anything?

After the way united handled David Moyes sacking to do the same again is pretty disgraceful. If Mourinho doesn't do the job then surely it must be time to be thinking about sacking the people on the board who make these decisions.

It's funny, isn't it.

In 1990 Manchester United had a manager who had been in the job for 4 years after gaining considerable success elsewhere. He spent a lot of money, but hadn't won anything with United. Their league performance that season was disappointing, but they did at least reach the FA Cup Final where they would play Crystal Palace. It was widely rumoured that the manager's position was in jeopardy. They beat Palace to win the cup, and the manager kept his job. The rest is history.

In 2016 Manchester United had a manager who had been in the job for 2 years after gaining considerable success elsewhere. He spent a lot of money, but hadn't won anything with United. Their league performance that season was disappointing, but they did at least reach the FA Cup Final where they would play Crystal Palace. It was widely rumoured that the manager's position was in jeopardy. They beat Palace to win the cup, but the manager was sacked anyway.

It is very odd. Here's what the BBC says:
So how did these "reports" come to "spread", if nobody at the club had said anything?
It only says no-one at the club had said anything to van Gaal - not that they hadn't discussed it amongst themselves. If they had planned to sack him on the Monday I can understand them avoiding talking to him on Saturday night. Would be awkward, especially since van Gaal knew by then and no doubt would have asked them directly.

Could be from Mourinho's team (although why? maybe just mischief?) or a leak from within Man Utd (perhaps a disgruntled employee wanting to embarrass the owners).
Also could be pure speculation by the media, although given that their predicted timing has, so far, been accurate to within an hour suggests that this is an actual leak not guesswork.

From listening to talksport on sunday, the impression I got was that the conclusion that van gaal was to be sacked and jose put in place came from from a spike in spanish betting. Even before I heard this, I thought someone was just trying to get some glory and 'report' the fact before other media folk.
Then yesterday, as I was driving home, some guy on 5live was accepting the praise for breaking the news, but pretty much admitting he was "guessing" that jose was getting the job. I think it stinks tbh. Media are clammering to be the first to break stories and this bunch on 5live were admitting they might take a risk to do so; van gaal is a very rich man one said, so why should a reporter care about the feelings of his family and friends if the 'news' is wrong.

this bunch on 5live were admitting they might take a risk to do so; van gaal is a very rich man one said, so why should a reporter care about the feelings of his family and friends if the 'news' is wrong.

Sadly it's the prevailing attitude from 'reporters', and most don't even care if their targets are rich or not. The clue should be in their title, reporters, not instigators or rumour mongers. :mad: :rolleyes:

I think van Gaal has seemingly been dealt with in a classless way looking from the outside. After all this time Moaninho should have been announced straight away, now there seems to 'talks' happening. :rolleyes:

So now it's official. Jose is back in the premier league, but as a Red. Going to be interesting to see if he as fondly received at stamford bridge as Ranieri was.
That image rights thing is a farce, isn't it?

Well, Hull City are back in the Prem after beating Wednesday.

Jamie Vardy and Arsenal

Is this likely move a 'good fit'

As a Leicestershire lad and lifetime supporter I want him to stay.
However I'm a realist and Jamie will be 30 in jan and has arrived very late into the 'big money' world of football.
Who can blame him if he cannot turn down Arsenal's £120,000 a week 4 year contract.

I just cannot see him fitting into Arsenal's system ? Wenger has always tried to play 'pure' passing football no long balls out of defence to utilise Vardy' pace.

Should he go or should he stay ? Any 'gooners' here ?

Last edited:
Someone should create a football thread.

:rolleyes: This thread has "Jamie Vardy" and Arsenal" in the title.
Folks who aren't keen on football needn't click on it, need they?

@badlywornroy ...I feel for the die hard Leicester fans, but like you say, 30 is cracking on a bit for the big time, and Vardy can't be blamed for following the money, if indeed he does!

:rolleyes: This thread has "Jamie Vardy" and Arsenal" in the title.
Folks who aren't keen on football needn't click on it, need they?

@badlywornroy ...I feel for the die hard Leicester fans, but like you say, 30 is cracking on a bit for the big time, and Vardy can't be blamed for following the money, if indeed he does!

No, they don't but as there is a football thread, this should be in it so will merge

:notworthy:

Apologies for starting a new thread, I should have put it here. :kiss:

But this thread is for a season that's finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back