The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

2020 Formula 1 Rolex Sakhir Grand Prix

ATlTftV.png

Bahrain International Circuit – Outer Track
Lap data
N/A

UK Times

Friday 4th December 2020
Sakhir Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 16:30-18:00 (UK time: 13:30-15:00)
Sakhir Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 20:30-22:00 (UK time: 17:30-19:00)
Saturday 5th December 2020
Sakhir Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 17:00-18:00 (UK time: 14:00-15:00)
Sakhir Grand Prix Qualifying: 20:00 (UK time: 17:00)
Sunday 6th December 2020
Sakhir Grand Prix: 20:10 (UK time: 17:10)

Videos

Sim lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbXz79BtfwI

Previous Winners
N/A

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
KGxx9WP.png

IylcQVf.png
Looking forward to this one, especially to see how George gets on compared to Bottas, I hope there isn't too much expectation placed on him.

I think Williams should get any points he manages to score - they need them!!!

This GP is going to throw up so many "is it the car, is it the driver? " discussions.

It’s the car and the driver. Russell won consecutive GP3 and Formula 2 championships. He’s proved himself. Now he is in the best car.
No arguement on that.
Does he get to feedback significant changes or is he basically only driving Lewis's car?

It’s the car and the driver. Russell won consecutive GP3 and Formula 2 championships. He’s proved himself. Now he is in the best car.

But mostly the car. The best driver in the world cant won in the worst car, but a very good driver, but maybe not the best* can win in the best car. Looking back, how many drivers have won a championship in a poor car?

*Best driver is very subjective, as it tends to be based on wins / championships etc. But there's much more to it than that. Maybe HAM isn't as mercurial as some would say it RUSS can beat BOTT in his first time out... but let's see. Light fuel running in practise is a mile away from racing. If HAM wanted to show he was the greatest then maybe he should ask Toto to sign VER as his team mate. But that'll never happen, Either way, I am looking forward to tomorrow and Sunday :)

All F1 drivers are good or else they wouldn’t be there. Some have a little extra than the others but not much. IMO it’s 80% car 20% driver.

Fantastic performance by Russell, in a strange car.

I'd suggest that as a driver who normally spends his time celebrating getting into Q2, and has a couple of days (i.e. 5 ish hours) in the Mercedes, and qualifies within a smidge of Bottas, it shows how much the car matters. I'll be interested to see how the race goes, especially as this is a rare chance to see how a driver has been dropped into a top car and has already shown they can put it to a team mate who has been there a number of years.

I don't have the time to research the stat's, but I think it would be interesting to see when the last time there was a large difference in championship positions within team mates that have been at the top end. I say this, as if for example Hamilton won the championship, but his team mate was 4th or 5th. then clearly he is out performing the car; whereas if they come first and second in the championship year after year, they are just out performing their team mate.

I much preferred it when there were real challenges within teams, like Prost and Senna, who were more than likely the best two drivers at the time but both in the same team. Now, I can understand that team management can be a nightmare in these circumstances, but at least they raced hard against each other. With Hamilton and Schumacher they pretty much call the shots, the same with Vettel at Red Bull,

All just my opinion of course, and unless we have a boring one make championship we will never see who may be the 'best' driver.

My prediction for tomorrow is as follows:

Max to get by RUSS at the start and then BOTT to win with VER second and RUSS third.

This "it's the car" cr4p really annoys me. Yes it's the best car, but the team have been together for quite some time and the drivers are part of the development of the car. If the car was so damned good on it's own, Botas wouldn't be getting his backside kicked by Vetel as well as Hamilton. Russell is just showing what a great driver he can be in a well developed car, it would be great to see both him and Hamilton in the Mercedes team.

Yup, it's very much a team sport with the strikers getting most of the credit but the rest of the team doing an awful lot of the hard work.

Bear in mind, Russell is 15cm taller than Lewis, was wearing shoes one size smaller to accomodate the pedals, the Mercedes would be setup totally different to the Williams and he has out qualified Verstappen. Pretty amazing.
Also, well done to Bottas for sticking it on pole.

Reactions: Nod
Terrible luck, but proved that RUS can mix it with the rest, and made a superb start. His time will come.

I wonder what Christian Horner is considering tonight. Not to mention the Racing Point decision to bin off PER in favour of VET. Be very interesting to see the 2021 season unfold.

Chuffed for Checko and gutted for George.

Red Bull need to call it a day with Albon and give Perez the drive and frankly Mercedes should call it a day with Bottas and give Russell the drive.

Toto got it right, total f up.

I wonder what Christian Horner is considering tonight. Not to mention the Racing Point decision to bin off PER in favour of VET. Be very interesting to see the 2021 season unfold.
so hoping someone would ask Otmar why they have dropped Perez post race

Gutted for Russell, he was looking so good, and even after the cock up in the pits he was doing OK until he picked up a puncture. Good to see Perez on the top step though. I reckon Botas will be looking for a drive soon...

In my heart of hearts I'm kinda hoping that Lewis is fine but doesn't test negative till Sunday evening :LOL:

In my heart of hearts I'm kinda hoping that Lewis is fine but doesn't test negative till Sunday evening :LOL:

Agreed! I would love to see Russell get another go. You know, maybe Lewis will call it a day and go and do other stuff and Russell will get the drive in 2021? Just putting that out there so I can say 'told you so' :p

Agreed! I would love to see Russell get another go. You know, maybe Lewis will call it a day and go and do other stuff and Russell will get the drive in 2021? Just putting that out there so I can say 'told you so' :p

I think Lewis has a few years ahead of him yet, maybe more than Bottas. Lewis wants to set the bar even higher (even if he says he doesn't) than Schumacher did, maybe even put it out of reach as a team's dominance such as Mercedes' over such a long period is quite rare, with no end to it in reasonable sight.

Last one of 2020!!

2020 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

0ADX5yn.png

Yas Marina Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.554km (3.451 miles)
Race laps 55
Race distance 305.355km (189.739 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’40.279 (Sebastian Vettel, 2009)
Fastest lap 1’38.434 (Lewis Hamilton, 2011, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 339kph (210.645 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Two straights
Distance from grid to turn one 305m
Full throttle 59%
Longest flat-out section 1233m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 56
Fuel use per lap 1.82kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.04s

UK Times

Friday 11th December 2020
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 12th December 2020
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 13th December 2020
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: 17:10 (UK time: 13:10)

Videos

Rosberg 2014
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIJ_v9xnw8I

Vettel face cam!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGafNnjFSa4

Previous Winners
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2011 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2012 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Lotus-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2017 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
EbNEpJzX0AEutM5

Championship standings
V4XHiQy.png

IFI0kMS.png

There is recent speculation about that Bottas could be the one moving on after removing Mercedes from his Instagram bio.

Lewis says he is not 100% fit after the covoids hence third on the grid
He should have stopped away till he was better its no good pushing yourself after the covids you can end up with long covid

Back