The Formula 1 / IndyCar Thread

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t been buzzing over the past couple of days.
No what you think of him, I think LH really showed what a racer he is in Brazil.

I was just looking for the thread!

I watched a recording of the race this morning not knowing the result, and was amazed really. Stunning drive from LH, and even when Mad Max got up to his old tricks, it just made him more determined. He really is a great driver.

Now, the extra point for the fastest lap..... I think this isn't working as it was meant to; as now either Red Bull or Mercedes pull their 2nd driver in for new tyres just to stop the opposition getting the additional point. They should state that the fastest lap can be no later than 10 laps from the end, or something similar.

Sounds like I'll have to find the race on All4 or similar! Mind you, that can be a PITA since All4 drops out every so often and finding exactly where it dropped out is a pain.

Sounds like I'll have to find the race on All4 or similar! Mind you, that can be a PITA since All4 drops out every so often and finding exactly where it dropped out is a pain.

Definitely worth watching.

Reactions: Nod
We should also mention a terrific drive by Bottas in the sprint race. I was sure Max would get past him with plenty of time left but VB did a terrific job of managing the tyres and applying the battery power at the right parts of the track.

I have not rechecked but I thought Max appeared to jump the start by a fraction of a second. However, as the FIA normally monitor this carefully, I must have been mistaken as nothing was said. It would have been better for Lewis if Bottas could also have passed Max.

Dave

I have not rechecked but I thought Max appeared to jump the start by a fraction of a second. However, as the FIA normally monitor this carefully, I must have been mistaken as nothing was said. It would have been better for Lewis if Bottas could also have passed Max.

Dave

Well they found an issue with 0.2mm in Lewis' rear wing, so I guess they monitored Max for jumping the start, like they didn't even issue a warning for pushing Hamilton off the circuit. I sometimes wonder whether the FIA really are whiter than white.

I think it's probably too late now for him to win the championship, but both drives this weekend show he's still head and shoulders above the rest. Well done Lewis.

10s retrospective penalty. + a gagging order on his team (without)principle(s)? :)

2021 Formula 1 Ooredoo Qatar Grand Prix

oG9ndib.png

Googlemaps Track Location

Losail International Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 5.4km (3.355 miles)
Race laps 58
Race distance 313.2km (194.613 miles)

UK Times

Friday Qatar Grand Prix first practice live Sky Sports F1 10:30
Friday Qatar Grand Prix second practice live Sky Sports F1 14:00
Saturday Qatar Grand Prix third practice live Sky Sports F1 11:00
Saturday Qatar Grand Prix qualifying live Sky Sports F1 14:00
Saturday Qatar Grand Prix qualifying highlights Channel 4 17:30
Sunday Qatar Grand Prix live Sky Sports F1 14:00
Sunday Qatar Grand Prix highlights Channel 4 18:30

Previous Winners
N/A

Videos

Safety car lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkC__45wcc

MotoGP lap
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go0ztQIoi90

Standings

uGAHQIa.png

hXmlwmn.png

Nowhere - it's what should happen, especially the gagging order.

There should also be no means of communication from teams to stewards during the race - stewards to teams, yes but the teams should shut up and listen, not whine at the stewards.

They dont communicate with the stewards they communicate with Race Director who can only refer incidents to the stewards but has no influence over their decision. Race Direction then advise of any penalties handed out by the stewards. I quite liked hearing what Michael Massy thought about the incident

There should also be no means of communication from teams to stewards during the race - stewards to teams, yes but the teams should shut up and listen, not whine at the stewards.
Not quite a gagging order but Christian Horner has got into trouble for shooting his mouth off

Anyone could think that Red Bull have a 4 car team - I hope MV is going to give PG a nice present.

Farewell, Sir Frank. One of the last gentlemen in F1.

You shouldn't have posted like it was a fact though!

When sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous!

2021 FORMULA 1 STC SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX

NV9nDJK.png

Googlemaps Track Location

Jeddah Corniche Circuit
Lap data
Circuit length 6.174km
Corners 27
DRS zones 3
Race distance 50 laps

UK Times

Friday
1.30pm: F1 Practice One
5.00pm: F1 Practice Two

Saturday
3.00pm: F1 Practice Three
5pm: Saudi Arabian GP Qualifying

Sunday
5.30pm: THE SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX

Previous Winners
N/A

Verstappen can win the title at the Saudi Arabian GP

If he wins the race with the fastest lap (26 points) and Hamilton finishes sixth (8 points) or lower
If he wins the race without the fastest lap (25 points) and Hamilton finishes seventh (6 points) or lower
If he finishes second with the fastest lap (19 points) and Hamilton finishes 10th (1 point) or lower
If he finishes second without the fastest lap (18 points) and Hamilton finishes outside the top-10

Videos

Safety car lap explained by Ant Davidson
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJMYsfwBbk

Standings

y6L3Q7L.png

S0wfK6D.png

Last edited:
It certainly was.

Someone screwed up in the communication to Lewis that Max was going to slow to let him past though I do think he slowed far more than necessary ( a 5mph reduction would have allowed Lewis past).

Anyway, all Lewis needs to do is finish ahead of Max in the last race and he will win the title. It's been a great year and I hope 22 is even better.

I think Max knew exactly what he was doing. Why did he not move to one side when slowing which is customary?

If he loses the championship this year he needs to reflect on some of the decisions he has made through the whole season. He should/could of been in a one horse race.

Max knows if he takes Lewis or both out of the race, he comes off better. Certainly saw it by his driving this weekend!

From 3rd to 1st on the second restart was impressive but had Lewis not taken avoiding action, That would have been both their races over. It was bold and fair racing. Unlike countless other moments this year.

Max knows if he takes Lewis or both out of the race, he comes off better. Certainly saw it by his driving this weekend!

From 3rd to 1st on the second restart was impressive but had Lewis not taken avoiding action, That would have been both their races over. It was bold and fair racing. Unlike countless other moments this year.

The problem with this is, if it happens this weekend Max will win and Lewis won't, so does Max care? Remember Schumacher & Hill??

100% my point.

he’s done it before.
Monza - had no right to be there. Takes both drivers out of the race, stops Lewis gaining in the championship.
brazil - Forces both drivers off but Lewis saw it coming and yielded.
Saudi - T1 dive bomb. Lewis unfortunately turns into Ocon to save the race.
Imola - Lewis should’ve been granted the space into T1 but Max forced him wide. Got away with it because Stewards allow more leniency on first lap antics.

It certainly was.

Someone screwed up in the communication to Lewis that Max was going to slow to let him past though I do think he slowed far more than necessary ( a 5mph reduction would have allowed Lewis past).

Anyway, all Lewis needs to do is finish ahead of Max in the last race and he will win the title. It's been a great year and I hope 22 is even better.

Agree. Perhaps the FIA should consider making sure the driver who is going to be allowed to retake the place is told before the driver who has to give up the place.(ie they get a communication from the team saying, "We have told X that Y has to give up his place.")

Dave

IF he does similar next weekend, I can see the FIA docking Verstrapon some points, particularly if he takes himself and Hammy out completely.

You could tell that there had been a brake test as soon as Horner was asked about it. Rather than denying it, he said he'd have to see the telemetry - like he hadn't already seen it!

Wasn't Jos caught "exploring the limits of the regulations" when his car all but exploded due to the removal of a safety feature while at Benetton?

Just finished watching a recording of the race. I could not understand why the commentators thought this to be one of the best races. All they seem to be concerned about is controversy rather than good clean racing. There were two red flags as well as virtual yellow flags which is not the sign of a good race. It seems that the data showed that Max did brake hard which we could all see and he has consequently been given a ten second penalty which makes no difference unless it is applied next week. Max walking off the podium is bad sportsmanship and should not be tolerated by his team manager. Max and his Manager seem to think that it is OK to drive over a corner to pass another driver. What I consider to be good driving was Mark Webber's overtake of Olonso at Eau Rouge Belgium 2011.

Dave

Last edited:
From the F1 site:

The stewards saw fit to hand Verstappen a further 10-second penalty and two penalty points (taking him to a total of seven over the 12-month period) with their report reading: "At Turn 21 the driver of car 33 [Verstappen] was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 [Hamilton] and was told by the team to do so 'strategically'. Car 33 slowed significantly at Turn 26.

"However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3. The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing."

"In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration."

"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS [line]. However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed."

Verstappen was therefore found to have breached Article 2, Chapter IV Appendix L of the FIA International Sporting Code, but keeps his second-place finish and enters the season finale level on points with Hamilton.

Sounds like FIA 'Ferrari International Assistance' should be renamed RBIA 'Red Bull International Assistance'...

Something needs to be done about Verstappen otherwise another F1 driver will end up dead.

I think it's more so RB, Marko, Horner and Jos need to reign him in. He's in an environment where his "misbehaviour" is being rewarded and touted in the press as exciting and "What the people want".

Some foolish people voting Max Driver of The Day... Penalised twice and terrible driving standards!?

Back