The Fuji X-A1, X-A2, X-A3 & X-M1 thread

That could be JPEG but not for RAW as per the other X cameras? I had a look at the spec page and 100 is I think an extended mode...

"Extended output sensitivity: equivalent to ISO100 / 12800 / 25600"

So my guess is that it's JPEG but RAW would be nice.

I can see the appeal but it's not a camera for me.

Well I've got my eyes on this.. couple with the 18mm 2.0 it could be the ideal size and capability combo I'm after for travelling. So the viewfinder I can live without in this instance especially as the articulated screen will give me some options to play with. Anything more serious and I'd be after the Pro but this could well suit me down to the ground and replace the D3100 w/35 1.8 / 10.5 2.8 or 14 2.8 combo i travelled with the last few trips. It'd definitely be a bonus size and weight wise. I do love my d3100 set up give or take the 14mm is quite large for that body. But this is closer to mecca...

Anybody using one of these? Or found a helpful review? I'm sorely tempted but would like a bit of reassurance about the kit lens before coughing up.

AP did a test and review this week.
But it does not seem good value when you can get an Xe1 for only £30 more.
And it has no viewfinder and a Plastic body, they only use contrast detection focus even though it is the same sensor, they have not enabled phase detection.
But I suppose it will suit some.

The new standard zoom can be used on other X series cameras if you download the new firmware.

As always once the dust has settled these things fall into an appropriate price point. In this case I feel like it's a bit of a bargain now, I've done the following...

Fuji X-M1 16-50 Kit: £479 (Amazon) - £100 cashback - £100 credit
Fuji 35mm 1.4: £429 (Amazon) - £100 cashback

= £608

(I used the £100 credit on the 35mm)

The 16-50 is going to sell for £100 minimum on eBay, so to look at it another way I'm ending up with an X-M1 / 35mm 1.4 kit for less than £500 (or an X-M1 for about £70)

Last edited:
So with the £200 cashback deal on amazon recently I'm guessing a lot of people, like me, will have picked one of these up. Have searched around on the forum but haven't found a real thread for them going yet - mostly all a few months old and incorrectly named etc - and as I've been searching around for accessories for it, and haven't done anything like look into firmware updates for it yet, I thought it would be good to have a proper thread going.

Any tips for using it will be greatly welcomed. I must say coming from a 5d and a couple of other dslr/slrs, I'm finding it difficult to get used to the fact that there is no viewfinder. It's much more difficult than I had first imagined. Largely thanks to the fact that I've nearly blinded myself a few times trying to look into an imaginary viewfinder but instead placing the very bright screen on my eyeball. Hopefully this is just something I'll get used to in time. I'll always have sight out of my left eye I suppose. Who needs two eyes anyway.

I've been looking into half cases for it, and as far as I can see the options are this if you're in the UK:

Official half case - currently £50ish at amazon
Gariz half case - currently £55ish at lovecases
Various chinese cases ranging from £13-£40 on amazon and ebay.

Has anyone tried any of these yet? I'd like to get one that i know fits, but £50 and greater seems a lot of money for a half case. Maybe not for Leica owners, but I'm not one of them.

I notice that on some forums some Fuji X line owners have gone for a Toma case for around £25-30 on lovecases, which seems reasonable, but I can't yet find a Toma one for the X-M1. Anybody know anything about that?

Aside from the half case, I've ordered a thumbs up grip from amazon (this one here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DSLRKIT-Pan...=1388487500&sr=1-1&keywords=DSLRKIT+Thumbs+Up). Again had difficulty finding one in the UK to specifically fit the X-M1, and seeing as this one is silver (matching the top colour of mine) and fits on a few different X-models, and is dirt cheap, I thought I might as well give it a go. Will report back when it's arrived and I've tested it.

I'm a happy, new X-M1 owner (from Amazon!), I've actually used it more than my X-Pro1 so far, mainly due it being so small and the image quality being identical. I edit on my iPad through Snapseed so the Wifi has been an absolute blessing, works so well. The X-Pro1 will come into it's own during the motorsport season, but day to day my X-M1 does everything I need.

There are no firmware updates as far as I'm aware, just updates to lenses which are always worth doing.

I had an X-E1 for my honeymoon back in the summer, loved it, massively regretted selling it for a D600, so moved back!

A big chunk of my £100 Amazon voucher went on a Artisan & Artist ACAM E25R. Huge money for a strap but it's stunning, very well put together and perfectly sized for a Fuji X body. Only problem is I now want another for my other body as it's not something that can be easily/quickly be transferred over.

No idea on cases sorry, I'm currently trying to source an intervalometer, I think JJC make one but will have to order from Hong Kong as no UK sellers have them.

I took the offer up too. Just waiting for delivery on mine. Will be having a play once it arrive though.

Took the x-m1 out with me for new year celebrations last night - couple of things - one positive one negative:

+ I'm loving learning to shoot with the lcd screen. Managed to get so many more natural shots of people when taking pictures from chest/waist height with the screen tilted 90degrees up towards me. Lots of people are much less threatened by this camera than my 5d to start with, so not as many forced poses, and secondly very few people realised I was actually shooting them. So managed to get some great natural pics because of that.

- Later on in the night I started using the built-in flash. Looking through the photos today, there is a big nasty shadow in the bottom right corner of all flash assisted pictures - takes up nearly 1/4 of the picture. Having done some tests just now, it is the shadow of the 16-50mm lens hood. It doesn't appear at all if you take it off. So - if you want to use the built-in flash, make sure you take the lens hood off first. Lesson learnt there. Bit annoying.

ukaskew - would be great if you could post back which intervalometer you go for and what you think of it when it arrives. I'm having a few problems connecting my iphone to the camera to view photos occasionally - i can send individual files fine but it doesn't want to connect when i want to look through the camera photos directly on my iphone before sending. Are you having any of those problems? The fuji app seems a little frustrating for it - having to go through settings to connect to the camera wifi before connecting in app as well. Are there any 3rd party apps for sending/receiving?

Also - does anyone know if it's possible to replace the shutter button on this with a soft one - like you can on the x100? Can't see anything in the instructions about doing it, and can't get any purchase on the button to unscrew it.

No such issues with the Fuji app and my iPad (lost track of which iPad it is, about two years old!), I always select my pics on the camera, set that off waiting, then switch my Wifi to the X-M1 on my iPad and then open the iPad app, select Receive, then Connect, hit the button on my X-M1 and off it goes. You can select multiple pics on the X-M1 directly so I've not felt the need to browse them through the app.

Much quicker than messing around with the Camera Connection Kit in my opinion.

The shutter button is fixed I believe, normally they screw into a pre-installed shutter button (such as on the X-Pro1), the thread on a soft button is tiny, way too small to replace an actual button.

Last edited:
The xm-1 doesn't have a thread on its shutter. I liked it in my x10. Kept falling off though. What about a stick on soft button? Has anyone tried them?

How does the release button fit?

I have just ordered the fuji 35mm.

Looking forward to this combo.

Xm1+35mm 1.4 = less than £500 = bargain!!

It certainly is a bargain at the moment. My 18mm f2 hasn't left my X-M1 yet, I don't tend to do much shooting in winter but it's great always having it nearby, fair to say I would never have have got this with a DSLR (which would have been tucked away in my camera bag upstairs)...

Raaaaawr
by Harry_S, on Flickr

Took delivery of mine today and first impressions are good. Can I ask how long it took people to receive the £100 amazon credit as i want to order a lens before the Fuji cashback finished on Thursday.

Also I dont know which lens to go for either the 18, 27 or 35

It certainly is a bargain at the moment. My 18mm f2 hasn't left my X-M1 yet, I don't tend to do much shooting in winter but it's great always having it nearby, fair to say I would never have have got this with a DSLR (which would have been tucked away in my camera bag upstairs)...

Raaaaawr
by Harry_S, on Flickr

Love that shot nice dof as well

From Amazon terms for this offer:
Once your Qualifying Item has been shipped, we'll automatically credit your Amazon.co.uk account with £100 within three days of shipping and that can be spent on any product you like sold by Amazon.co.uk (“Promotional Item(s)”).

Depending on how you read this the £100 credit might only be used to purchase 'promotional items'. Can anyone clarify this - I'm pretty tempted by this (or an NEX 6).

Thanks,.
AL

Last edited:
From Amazon terms for this offer:
Once your Qualifying Item has been shipped, we'll automatically credit your Amazon.co.uk account with £100 within three days of shipping and that can be spent on any product you like sold by Amazon.co.uk (“Promotional Item(s)”).

Depending on how you read this the £100 credit might only be used to purchase 'promotional items'. Can anyone clarify this - I'm pretty tempted by this (or an NEX 6).

Thanks,.
AL

You can spend it on whatever you like as long as it's sold by Amazon directly. I've had credit three times now (including for the X-M1) and bought all sorts with it.

Took delivery of mine today and first impressions are good. Can I ask how long it took people to receive the £100 amazon credit as i want to order a lens before the Fuji cashback finished on Thursday.

Also I dont know which lens to go for either the 18, 27 or 35

Mine have been within 24hrs, normally around the time it gets despatched.

Lens choice is a personal one really as they are quite different focal lengths. The 35mm is the gem of that bunch, but I really like how the 18mm handles on the X-M1 (I imagine the 27 would be even better in that respect)

Last edited:
Thanks for that camera was despatched monday but amazon are saying 3 business days for the credit but the £100 cashback with fuji finishes tomorrow so its cutting it fine.

Thunk I may go for the 27mm after looking at some reviews seems to be a decent lens and smaller than the 35mm.

If anyone has ordered the silver one (maybe black as well) within the last 7 days amazon has reduced the price I have just had an online chat and they have refunded me £36 as was £449.99 when I ordered

Is the AF the same as the XPro?

By that I was hoping as it was a more consumer type camera it would have big white rectangle type AF (like on Nikon d700) where the camera detects the af points.

evening all!
I'm another one who's just joined the Xm-1 club, although i did leave it rather late with my order not being placed until the 16th!
just wondering if anyone can help me out with a recommendation for a new hand strap. i had been hoping to use my existing Optech, but i simply cannot make the "strap" fit through the lug on the side of the camera body. This is a real shame because i really do like the feel of this strap. At the moment, i am using a very thin strap from an old compact but I would like something more substantial (but i don't want to use the neck strap wound around my wrist).
Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

evening all!
I'm another one who's just joined the Xm-1 club, although i did leave it rather late with my order not being placed until the 16th!
just wondering if anyone can help me out with a recommendation for a new hand strap. i had been hoping to use my existing Optech, but i simply cannot make the "strap" fit through the lug on the side of the camera body. This is a real shame because i really do like the feel of this strap. At the moment, i am using a very thin strap from an old compact but I would like something more substantial (but i don't want to use the neck strap wound around my wrist).
Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Try harder ;)

i-MXjKWp6-M.jpg

It took some doing, but I nudged it in at an angle, then pushed it through a bit more with tweezers, then once a bit of loop was through I hooked it through from the other end with the tweezers. It's pretty much perfect for the X-M1 so persevere.

I got mine last week for those occasions where my 5D is too conspicuous. I've been really impressed with the picture quality and the good thing is my wife's willing to use it so I may appear on the odd photo now!
Anyone else noticed a spot keep appearing in the middle of the 16-50 front lens? The lens cap seems to be touching on mine. I've fitted a uv filter to stop it happening and permanently damaging the glass but now considering sanding the centre of the cap.

Nice photos their Tim. Missing my Xm1 as bought an Xf1 and only gone and put the charger in the Xf1 box which I returned as wasn't that impressed. Now awaiting a tp charger from amazon as the fuji one is £54

Thanks Thunderbird. I can look after your 35mm whilst you're waiting for a charger if you like ;).

Thanks for the offer no need ordered from amazon yesterday and says it's being delivered today. Apparently they are starting to deliver on Sundays in certain areas!!

It looks like the offers being run by Fujifilm but other shops aren't advertising it. T&C's state:
Purchases must be made from participating stores or internet sites excluding Amazon Marketplace, www.digitalrev.com, www.procamerashop.com, www.onestop-digital.com, SLRhut.co.uk between Friday 17th January 2014 and Monday 31st March 2014 to take advantage of this promotion.
Amazon direct have got the brown one for the lowest price at the moment (£441.50).

Anyone got their £100 cheque yet?

Anyone had their cashback yet? Bought my X-M1 at the end of December, put my claim in on Jan 14th, for reference.

Anyone had their cashback yet? Bought my X-M1 at the end of December, put my claim in on Jan 14th, for reference.

Not yet, they said it can take 28 days, give them a ring, they will confirm it's been validated or not.

Back