The future of fotoVUE

Mick Ryan

Advertiser
Name
Michael Ryan
Edit My Images
Yes
Challenging times for publishers, as I discuss. Artificial intelligence, rising costs across the board, and of course Amazon.

People buying pre-orders and buying books from this website is of prime (excuse the pun) importance, consider that we only get 40% of the RRP if you buy off Amazon, for a book with an RRP of £25 we get £10 and out of that comes everything: author’s royalties, printing costs, layout, editing and mapping costs, tax, investment in new titles and running costs of the business ( I pay myself minimum wage). If you can, please buy direct from us, and please tell your friends or grab an image of a book and a link and share on social media. Read more at https://www.fotovue.com/news/announcements/the-future-of-fotovue/

I have quite a few of Mick's publications and find them very enjoyable to read through, irrespective of the actual value as location guides.

Last edited:
Thank you Green Ninja and Lindsay.

Alyn's Photographing The Night Sky cost 6 figures to publish. Consequently we kept it off Amazon. Still, we've nearly run out.

I have a couple of hundred of seconds for £36.95 rather than £64.95, with slight blemishes here https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-the-night-sky-softback-seconds/

Also, use TP23 for 20% off non-sale books or pre-order books.

I’ve got quite a few fotoVUE books already and find them to be extremely helpful.

I am very pleased to support a great company with a pre-order for the Inner and Outer Hebrides set.

Also waiting patiently for London Vol 2 and the remainder of the new Scotland series in due course!

I got a 404 and then a WordPress installation page from the home url, so there are problems.

Hopefully there will be some left when I can get back on to it!

I got a 404 and then a WordPress installation page from the home url, so there are problems.

Hopefully there will be some left when I can get back on to it!
I’ve just tried again and I see to be experiencing the same issues.
The London book looks really interesting to me and I’m going to place an order once it’s back up and running.
It all seemed fine yesterday when I first found the site from the link above.

I've already got a number of the FotoVue guides and I find them really useful. I'm after the Northumberland book as I've a trip up there planned for later in the year. No rush for me though, so I'll hold off until the site is up and running again

I've emailed Mick that it's not working

Mick is aware of the issue and trying to get his tech on the case

Thanks everyone. Website fixed now. Database problem. That was bad timing! Was busy on Hebrides maps too.

I can't help but |I feel for you.
I've sold on Amazon for a very long time (on behalf of various clients) and I know full well how much they charge, although even finding out how much they charge can be a nightmare, because of hidden costs.

The reality is that the only useful function of Amazon sales is to increase turnover, they take nearly all of the profits and sometimes leave the seller with a loss. The public seems to think that they benefit by buying through or from Amazon, but in fact buying from or through them reduces choice and increases prices, and the only real benefit accrues to dishonest buyers who make up claims and end up with both the goods and a refund.

Everyone should buy directly from a reputable supplier, and only use Amazon when there is no choice.

Everyone should buy directly from a reputable supplier, and only use Amazon when there is no choice.
Agreed.

Unfortunately, in too many cases that's the only option. :(

I can't help but |I feel for you.
I've sold on Amazon for a very long time (on behalf of various clients) and I know full well how much they charge, although even finding out how much they charge can be a nightmare, because of hidden costs.

The reality is that the only useful function of Amazon sales is to increase turnover, they take nearly all of the profits and sometimes leave the seller with a loss. The public seems to think that they benefit by buying through or from Amazon, but in fact buying from or through them reduces choice and increases prices, and the only real benefit accrues to dishonest buyers who make up claims and end up with both the goods and a refund.

If possible I browse Amazon then track down the seller's own website - generic tat from China excepted. Sometimes I end up paying more.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, in too many cases that's the only option. :(
You may be right, but I haven't found that myself. Even if a product is only available on Amazon (very unlikely) it's usually easy to trace the seller, with just a couple of clicks.
And, with books, it's even easier if the publisher/author includes that info in the publicly viewable preview.

You may be right, but I haven't found that myself.
We may be at cross purposes.

There are some food products for which Amazon are a great deal cheaper than any local shop or anyone else on the internet. There are also things like cables and small parts that it's simply not economical for me to buy elsewhere.

EXPLORE & DISCOVER Outer and Inner Hebrides (two books) have gone to print, they are back with EXPLORE & DISCOVER Essex, late November. We are now finishing EXPLORE & DISCOVER Liverpool, which should be back in December.

Inner & Outer Hebrides ordered - now her indoors will have to let me go to her native land!

EXPLORE & DISCOVER Outer and Inner Hebrides (two books) have gone to print, they are back with EXPLORE & DISCOVER Essex, late November. We are now finishing EXPLORE & DISCOVER Liverpool, which should be back in December.
Great to hear - looking forward to getting my eyes on the new Hebrides books!

Thank you Green Ninja and Lindsay.

Alyn's Photographing The Night Sky cost 6 figures to publish. Consequently we kept it off Amazon. Still, we've nearly run out.

I have a couple of hundred of seconds for £36.95 rather than £64.95, with slight blemishes here https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/photographing-the-night-sky-softback-seconds/

Also, use TP23 for 20% off non-sale books or pre-order books.
Hi. I have a. bunch of these guides too and use them to find spots to visit and spend time. [and sometimes photograph!]. If you would like me to and could create a code for it, I could post on SheClicks, the women's FB group run by former AP person Angela Nicholson. Let me know. Off out just now but will check when I get back. There are several thousand women photographers on the page. I am guessing that it would need to state UK mainland only?

Looks fine to me...

Wasn't working properly for me either earlier on, seems okay now. :)

Hi. I have a. bunch of these guides too and use them to find spots to visit and spend time. [and sometimes photograph!]. If you would like me to and could create a code for it, I could post on SheClicks, the women's FB group run by former AP person Angela Nicholson. Let me know. Off out just now but will check when I get back. There are several thousand women photographers on the page. I am guessing that it would need to state UK mainland only?
I am surprised not to have heard from you about this suggestion, even if it is a no.

The website issues should be cleared up now, we changed servers and there was a breaking in period unfortunately whilst we sorted conflicts.

Liverpool is due back in January and Hebrides and Essex are back now at the beginning of January, shipping first week. Just about to post about these.

Ta

Mick

Just messaged you Chipper.

Back