The GAS confessional - all who suffer are welcome. :)

well mine is cured for this month, bargain at £405 :)

But it will be back next month when the Nikon 180-600 Z lens appears

IMG_0317.jpg

Whoops… I may have gotten a little excited after a drink or two and accidentally on purpose bid on a Nikkor 15mm 3.5 AIS Lens. And maybe sort of won.
I seem to have been in the same boat last night, bid, won and paid for Fuji X-Pro 1 !!!
may have to lay off the red wine with tonight’s meal

I've decided I want the Sigma 40mm 1.4 (Nikon FX) and I'm going to get one next week. Are there any reasons not to get this lens?

I'd managed to resist my GAS for quite a while now and thought I was doing quite well, I had been, until this evening!!! A few months ago I had been entertaining the idea of upgrading to a Nikon D810 from my D800 but had resisted the urge. Sadly tonight I got notification from MPB of a "like new" one being in stock. I thought I'd check it out, but when I saw the shutter count, a mere 1117, GAS kicked in and within minutes my order was confirmed!!! Damn!!!

Unfortunately, I’ve made a bit of a list in my head over the last couple of weeks, which involves some trading/swapping/selling/upgrading etc, and when I’m in a position to, in around 3 weeks, it looks like I’m going to end up with a Sony 200-600, 16-35, and an A7IV…I’m in real turmoil at this turn of events, as I’m sure you can all imagine.

…my ‘problem’, is that I may need another bag to be able to fit the 200-600 in :rolleyes:

I'd managed to resist my GAS for quite a while now and thought I was doing quite well, I had been, until this evening!!! A few months ago I had been entertaining the idea of upgrading to a Nikon D810 from my D800 but had resisted the urge. Sadly tonight I got notification from MPB of a "like new" one being in stock. I thought I'd check it out, but when I saw the shutter count, a mere 1117, GAS kicked in and within minutes my order was confirmed!!! Damn!!!

Just wondering, are there any specific features that are drawing you from the D800 to the D810?

I'm already pondering upgrading from the D810 to the D850 for the built in Focus Shift, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or if I'm just being a bit lazy :D The upgraded AF system would be a bonus for me as well, although I'm finding the D810 perfectly fine.

Just wondering, are there any specific features that are drawing you from the D800 to the D810?

I'm already pondering upgrading from the D810 to the D850 for the built in Focus Shift, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or if I'm just being a bit lazy :D The upgraded AF system would be a bonus for me as well, although I'm finding the D810 perfectly fine.

The quieter and improved shutter, the improved AF and lower base ISO are what tempted me. I was actually quite happy with using my D800 and although I'd toyed with the idea I wasn't planning on upgrading for a while. It was the very low shutter count on this D810 that was the trigger...

Over the last few months I have traded a lot of stuff in for some other stuff that I didn't need because most of what I wanted to achieve was easily fulfillable with the stuff I was trading in; but isn't that a definition of GAS? I want it and I want it now.

Traded in:

Nikon D810
Nikon 105mm micro
Nikon 24-70mm
Nikon 80-400mm
Fuji X100V

Kept:
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Nikon SB700 flash

Bought (new):

Nikon D850
Sigma 14-24mm
Sigma 60-600mm

Still leaves me out of pocket by about eighteen hundred quid as trade-in values are not what they were; I blame mirrorless camera manufacturing.

Over the last few months I have traded a lot of stuff in for some other stuff that I didn't need because most of what I wanted to achieve was easily fulfillable with the stuff I was trading in; but isn't that a definition of GAS? I want it and I want it now.

Traded in:

Nikon D810
Nikon 105mm micro
Nikon 24-70mm
Nikon 80-400mm
Fuji X100V

Kept:
Nikon 50mm f1.4
Nikon SB700 flash

Bought (new):

Nikon D850
Sigma 14-24mm
Sigma 60-600mm

Still leaves me out of pocket by about eighteen hundred quid as trade-in values are not what they were; I blame mirrorless camera manufacturing.

Well, if you are happy with what you have, then happy days. No ATMS in heaven!

Please help - I need therapy. I keep getting tempted to sell off some of my old film cameras so I can get a Hasselblad without spending any money.

I don't need one, I just want one . . .:runaway:
Well, if not now, when?

Well, have been away for a month or so... May seems to have been a quiet month. I think I forgot to confess to my Leica Q2.... it was used and in perfect condition, only 6 months old. As Jake says, it would have been rude not to.... and you can't take it with you. Trying to decide whether to buy a used handgrip without a box at the moment. Any more confessions out there? It's a beautiful day here.

Sadly, the Leica wasn't for me; beautiful thing but not me at all. Traded it, with another bunch of stuff, for another Canon. Woo ho - well, it will be when it gets here.

I keep looking at these two...

For the price of one higher end modern AF lens I could have both :D

Clearing out my garage, sold some stuff and purchased these.
MPB
Olympus OM-D EM-1mkII

E-infinity
Olympus M.Zuiko 60mm macro

Essentialphoto.co.uk
Godox V350 Olympus

Looking a good but reasonably cheap macro diffuser, for above setup, That'll be next month and the Nikon 180-600mm, if I can rummage about and find more to sell.

And I bought a new intervalometer too.

Mainly because I went to pack for holiday the week before last and couldn't find it anywhere. I can only assume last month when shooting night skies at Corfe Castle I left it on West Hill :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: Sky
Didn't need it (already have one) but it was rude not to at the price.

BNIB Genuine Canon EOS R/EF adapter - £21. Got horsed for the postage (tenner) but it's still a cheap spare.

IMG_8989.jpeg

Bought an Oberwerth dark brown case including backplate and matching strap. Really impressed with both but the strap is just something else. The shape of it perfectly fits against the back of my neck and it’s well padded and slightly springy which takes the weight out of the camera straight away. The case is also lined up perfectly with the battery release lever and battery compartment at the base and the integrated grip makes the camera much easier to hold with such a heavy lens.

For anyone who wants a fancy strap for their mirrorless or dslr, I’d highly recommend this style!

The Soviet made 1,000 mm mirror lens, at one time, came with an eyepiece in the box. I didn't find it that useful when I had one but I'm sure yours works better.
I guess the usefulness is related to the magnification achieved (and the quality of the image) - for me it is primarily for identification & zeroing in on the target (don't want to spend an hour getting a picture of another blooming woodpigeon)

I must be cured , Month's since I purchased anything new :(

There is no cure, just remission!

Pondering a third Sony A1. I nearly always shoot with two cameras and often have a third with a wider lens. Recently got a second A1 and probably have enough in the bookings schedule to justify a third. It is a massive advantage to shoot with the same body in my experience but I'd love the option of a stacked sensor camera with decent MP and a proper articulating screen. Just a pity Sony are a bit behind with an A9 iii. An A7R V may be another option but once you get used to the stacked sensor it is hard to live with anything else. A left field choice may also be a Z9 with the megadap

Last edited:
Since going (mainly) Fuji a few years ago, I now use a trio of bodies with zooms covering from 10mm up to 400 (and a 1.4x telecon when necessary). Saves changing lenses (other than whipping the converter in and out!) but does make the bag nearly as heavy as a 2 body Nikon kit that only goes up to 300mm. For the time being, I'm still happy enough with what I have to consider myself in fairly stable remission.

However, there are so many things I want for the bikes...

Oh well GAS yep over the last couple of weeks picked up a Nikon D2Xs and Nikon D800 plus a DX 55-300 and a FX 200-500 (which even though I read the specs is heavier than I thought :LOL: )

I could not be bothered with GAS so I bought a Linhof 4 X 5 super colour with 150mm 5.6 Nikkor lens plus darkslides.
Not to mention 20 sheets of Ektar and 20 sheets of E100. Oh! I forgot about the cable release and Minolta meter,
I guess the Cinestill C41 and Bellini E6 don't really count.

I'm so over it.

Back