The General Drone-Related Thread

Another piece on Watchdog tonight about drones, an 18 month old child suffered life changing injuries after their car was hit by a drone. Starts at 7.30, BBC1

Another piece on Watchdog tonight about drones, an 18 month old child suffered life changing injuries after their car was hit by a drone. Starts at 7.30, BBC1

Just watched it. It does seem like the old Lynne Faulds Woods days of watchdog. Like all these injuries the guy flying was being a cock. He hit a tree the flew his drone into a baby.. Tit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739

I do think stiffer penalties are needed for people who do that sort of thing

Last edited:
Just watched it. It does seem like the old Lynne Faulds Woods days of watchdog. Like all these injuries the guy flying was being a cock. He hit a tree the flew his drone into a baby.. Tit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739

I do think stiffer penalties are needed for people who do that sort of thing
Agreed,

I can see this becoming a media circus, in which it will be used as a stick to hit everyone involved with the hobby, which is completely unfair.
The person who caused the accident should be bought to book, was he insured?

Hopefully the kid will recover the best he can due to the nature of the injury.

Terrorism on the one hand and eejits on the other - is there any hope?

The sad thing is for a tragic accident, due to negligence on the part of the operator (yes of course he was extremely sorry, in fact if got the impression he'll likely never fly again) that little lad will never have as full a life as he could have with full vision :(

The reality is there does need need to better control on the sale and ownership of the mid-large UAV as they do have the potential to do such damage, I'd be more than willing to pay for a non-commercial test and licence (so long as it wasn't stupid money) otherwise I may as well do the full commercial and actually use it to earn money, based on the fact I already could have earned from it from offers to buy prints that I've turned down

Matthew I mainly agree, but even a little one (drone) can damage an eye ... they are inherently a high-risk device (whirling blades, lightweight, prone to gusts of air and obstacles ...).

Last edited:
My wife did a 10k mud run type thing in a local forest park on Sunday and there was a guy there filming it with a Phantom. I watched him hover it about 5 meters off the ground in front of the start line and them film 750 runners run under it. And lots of close up stuff around the obstacle course in the last 1km of the race. Horrific to think now what could have happened if this had came down
https://www.facebook.com/e2sai/?fref=ts

Matthew I mainly agree, but even a little one (drone) can damage an eye ... they are inherently a high-risk device (whirling blades, lightweight, prone to gusts of air and obstacles ...).

Flying models have always been risky, they've been around for most a lifetime, starting in the 1940's, people have been seriously injured and killed from being hit by fixed wing and helicopter models, anyone familiar with the hobby should know this no matter what they fly, drones may be new technology but the same problems exist and now they''re more accessible the issues that plagued flying models in the past are being amplified by this fact.

Flying models have always been risky, they've been around for most a lifetime, starting in the 1940's, people have been seriously injured and killed from being hit by fixed wing and helicopter models, anyone familiar with the hobby should know this no matter what they fly, drones may be new technology but the same problems exist and now they''re more accessible the issues that plagued flying models in the past are being amplified by this fact.
Quite, it's that amplification issue ...

My wife did a 10k mud run type thing in a local forest park on Sunday and there was a guy there filming it with a Phantom. I watched him hover it about 5 meters off the ground in front of the start line and them film 750 runners run under it. And lots of close up stuff around the obstacle course in the last 1km of the race. Horrific to think now what could have happened if this had came down

Totally illegal. There is no way those people underneath him were under his control.

Just like anything else that people use or play about with - footballs, darts, paper aeroplanes, bits of stick
Tragic incident but could have happened in a hundred other ways.

I'd love to hear his explanation on why he thought that was legal.

I'd love to hear his explanation on why he thought that was legal.

I would safely assume he, like many others, has never heard of the regulations for flying these.
There was a second guy turned up with another one but his wasn't up for as long.

Interestingly, I went for a bird of prey experience day last Sunday - had fabulous fun learning about and flying falcons and hawks. Anyway, one of the tutors used a drone to give one of the falcons something to chase - great to watch - and was at great lengths beforehand to explain the rules of using the drone and make the point that he had completed the CAA course.

Of the dozen people there only two of us were even aware that there were rules and one of the "unaware" even had a small quad-copter himself.

Interestingly, I went for a bird of prey experience day last Sunday - had fabulous fun learning about and flying falcons and hawks. Anyway, one of the tutors used a drone to give one of the falcons something to chase - great to watch - and was at great lengths beforehand to explain the rules of using the drone and make the point that he had completed the CAA course.

Of the dozen people there only two of us were even aware that there were rules and one of the "unaware" even had a small quad-copter himself.

Most aren't aware sadly, sounds an interesting if a little surprising use of the drone...I assume he didn't allow the falcon to actually come into contact with it as it could risk harm to falcon

Not sure if a link to the CAA's page on drones has been posted yet, if so, I think it bears repeating! http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pagetype=90

Totally illegal. There is no way those people underneath him were under his control.

The link at the end seems to suggest that permissions can cover flying over " people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control " http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pagetype=90&pageid=16006

Not sure if a link to the CAA's page on drones has been posted yet, if so, I think it bears repeating! http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pagetype=90

The link at the end seems to suggest that permissions can cover flying over " people or properties (vehicles, vessels or structures) that are not under your control " http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995&pagetype=90&pageid=16006

Indeed. I have made the assumption (maybe erroneously) from the description that this guy does not hold a CAA permission.

One would hope that he had one although your assumption may well be right.

I guess these discussions about the use of drones is similar to what they thought when cars first appeared on the roads!
The world will never be a safe place, you can't legislate for stupidity. I suppose, eventually, they will regulate the fun out of flying models, however, I think there are more serious injuries caused by innocent household appliances than lumps of plastic flying around with sharp blades spinning round.
The first thing manufacturers could do is to fully enclose the propellers, at least that would reduce the effects of being hit by one.

Indeed. I have made the assumption (maybe erroneously) from the description that this guy does not hold a CAA permission.
I assumed that too but I could be wrong. He only seems to have a facebook page, cand find a web site where he might list the CAA Permissions. As I said before, I think It is something that a lot of people know nothing about. I would never have heard of the rules and regulations if I hadn't geen a member of this forum.

It flies at a height of 5m over cars and people to video them?

I really can't see that ever having a problem...

Just stumbled across this thread, I've got a little quad and was looking to get a phantom to enhance both photography and building business doing inspections of chimneys etc. soon found out the rules for commercial use are over the top stupid. I was looking forward to getting licenced and doing a training course but decided it's just too regulated

Just stumbled across this thread, I've got a little quad and was looking to get a phantom to enhance both photography and building business doing inspections of chimneys etc. soon found out the rules for commercial use are over the top stupid. I was looking forward to getting licenced and doing a training course but decided it's just too regulated

Which of the rules do you feel are over the top stupid?

My views have got harder as the year has progressed. I'd be for mandatory registration of drones.

My views have got harder as the year has progressed. I'd be for mandatory registration of drones.
I'd agree with that, I'd even agree to mandatory training for commercial use
It's just the over the top legislation for commercial use is completely prohibitive even after training and getting a license
Seems crazy there is NO legislation if you just buy one from a shop, but once you train and register, you are swamped in red tape. I believe the regs are exactly the same for real helicopters as they are for quads. Just nuts

I've gotten quite into drones over the last year, more for fun than anything to do with photography. Somehow I've ended to doing a little beta-testing and publicity for a couple of manufacturers - not really sure how that happened but it's been fun (even if one drone has now failed spectacularly). Up until now I've just has small drones, but the new GoPro Karma will probably change this when it's released. The initial footage from it looks in a different league to similar drones.

https://gopro.com/news/karma-is-coming-in-2016

Not a lot of details out about this drone but the rumour is a cost of £500 - £1000 so DJI money. I have a photography project that I'd like to start around March and if the footage shown from this drone is achievable then it will be perfect.

Seems crazy there is NO legislation if you just buy one from a shop

There is legislation. I'd suggest it evidently needs to be better publicised with purchase though if you think there isn't. Heres a starting point should you wish to delve deeper https://www.caa.co.uk/drones/

I've gotten quite into drones over the last year, more for fun than anything to do with photography. Somehow I've ended to doing a little beta-testing and publicity for a couple of manufacturers - not really sure how that happened but it's been fun (even if one drone has now failed spectacularly). Up until now I've just has small drones, but the new GoPro Karma will probably change this when it's released. The initial footage from it looks in a different league to similar drones.

https://gopro.com/news/karma-is-coming-in-2016

Not a lot of details out about this drone but the rumour is a cost of £500 - £1000 so DJI money. I have a photography project that I'd like to start around March and if the footage shown from this drone is achievable then it will be perfect.

Saw that video when it was first released, and really can't see what's special about it. Nothing that can't be achieved by others.

There is legislation. I'd suggest it evidently needs to be better publicised with purchase though if you think there isn't. Heres a starting point should you wish to delve deeper https://www.caa.co.uk/drones/

Sorry, I meant no registration requirement, therefore no real comeback on irresponsible owners unless caught in the act so to speak
I was wanting to use one for chimney/roof inspections, as well as the obvious benefits for photography but it's a non starter for me

Sorry, I meant no registration requirement, therefore no real comeback on irresponsible owners unless caught in the act so to speak
I was wanting to use one for chimney/roof inspections, as well as the obvious benefits for photography but it's a non starter for me

True, but there is no registration for models below certain weight either. Not saying I wouldn't support it, but it may be difficult to enforce. Unless you have the drone even if registered how do you enforce

True, but there is no registration for models below certain weight either. Not saying I wouldn't support it, but it may be difficult to enforce. Unless you have the drone even if registered how do you enforce

If a quad causes harm or damage, at least if registered the authorities have somewhere to start if the user legs it as the purchasers identity would be known. But unless their is a registration system for uav like cars where you must notify dvla at owner change it will be pointless, and I can't see that happening due to prohibitive costs
There's a video on YouTube of a guy flying his quad beside Tay rail bridge in Dundee, then right across the flight path of the airport. In another one of his vids, he crashes into a tree and tells he is the owner of a local computer business and intends to supply them. I've not seen him in the local paper getting charged and it's hard to see a worse example of thumbing your nose at the law, or ignorance of it as he may not know
A few high profile prosecutions might help making people aware and stop all the "killer drone" drama

If a quad causes harm or damage, at least if registered the authorities have somewhere to start if the user legs it as the purchasers identity would be known. But unless their is a registration system for uav like cars where you must notify dvla at owner change it will be pointless, and I can't see that happening due to prohibitive costs
There's a video on YouTube of a guy flying his quad beside Tay rail bridge in Dundee, then right across the flight path of the airport. In another one of his vids, he crashes into a tree and tells he is the owner of a local computer business and intends to supply them. I've not seen him in the local paper getting charged and it's hard to see a worse example of thumbing your nose at the law, or ignorance of it as he may not know
A few high profile prosecutions might help making people aware and stop all the "killer drone" drama

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not sure how, in practice, registration would work

A few weeks ago, I was in PCWCurrys and there was a display of assorted drones. I asked one of the sales bods what rules covered their use and he told me that you could just fly them. I dare say that there are guidelines in the boxes but how many people read beyond the quick start guide?

A few weeks ago, I was in PCWCurrys and there was a display of assorted drones. I asked one of the sales bods what rules covered their use and he told me that you could just fly them. I dare say that there are guidelines in the boxes but how many people read beyond the quick start guide?

All the DJI products have a leaflet explaining the basic regs in the box.

Did none of you see the skier being hit by a drone in the slalom in Madonna earlier? That was VERY close.

Did none of you see the skier being hit by a drone in the slalom in Madonna earlier? That was VERY close.

It was very close but I don't think they actually got hit...looked like a catastrophic failure in the quad, I'm guessing they'll have to perform a full review as to the cause given the prominence of the failure being live on TV...

Yeah but most CPCW staff wouldn't know their arse from their elbow...you might get the occasionally one the has product knowledge but most only seem to have knowledge of extended warranties and the selling of them

Back