The General Drone-Related Thread

Since the average flight is probably under ten minutes by the time the nee-naa van comes to blast it out of the sky you'd be gone.
It's the same as anything new - some people can only imagine bad things while others see the creative and useful side.
Almost all the negative aspects are being blown out of all proportion at the moment, in particular the risk of injury.

Even if deliberately flown at someone consumer drones weighing a bout 1kg probably won't do much damage.
While there have been a few accidents and near misses no-one has yet been killed by a drone.
This should be borne in mind compared to all the other things which cause death and injury every day such as vehicles and household objects.
A lot of the arguments against seem much the same as what's used against photography on occasion.

[QUOTE="4wd, post: 7685962, member: 50077

Even if deliberately flown at someone consumer drones weighing a bout 1kg probably won't do much damage.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'd volunteer to test your theory though?

Does anyone do commercial work with their drone?

What I'd like to know is say I go out with my drone and make a nice video with nice scenes for myself/YouTube etc and the video was made with flights that are within the general use guidelines. I'm then approached by a company who wants to buy that video to use as an advert on tv or something else public. Does that mean I couldn't sell it because the CAA states that for any commercial work you require permission from them.

The film wasn't even created with the intention of selling nor was it produced specifically for that company.

Loads of drugs dealers are making drops in HMP's across the country. They break every CAA rule going.

To answer your question partially, someone made an arial video of York which was posted somewhere online. The CAA found it and prosecuted the individual for illegal flying.

Loads of drugs dealers are making drops in HMP's across the country. They break every CAA rule going.

To answer your question partially, someone made an arial video of York which was posted somewhere online. The CAA found it and prosecuted the individual for illegal flying.

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't answer any part of my question lol.

It's not beyond the possibility that they may approach you after seeing one of your videos online, no ?

It's a possibility but not what I mean.

What I mean is I've made a video that is totally legal and for me personally; it was never intended for sale purposes or because I'm making it for a company that's paying me. A company sees and likes my video and says they want to buy it and use it on their websites etc.

A bit of background to all this is in order to do commercial work for companies I.e. I'm employed by a company to make a specific video, you need license permission from the CAA.

What I'm asking is if I sell a video that was never created for anyone but myself then would I be allowed to do so or would I not be allowed to because the video never had license permission from the CAA even though it was filmed for myself and within the normal flying laws.

Last edited:
What memory card/speed is recommend for the DJI Mavic? also what the average size of a 20 minute 4K file?

What memory card/speed is recommend for the DJI Mavic? also what the average size of a 20 minute 4K file?

Apparently it's about 7.5GB but could be more. I've not got my Mavic yet to try.

I'd say any memory card that is a min of 95mb/s is fine. I tend to use speeds over 100mb for video and photos. Lexar or SanDisk but I prefer Lexar. If you want to go into the nitty-gritties of the cards then DJI forums are your friend.

Watch "The Blacklist" last night, nice bit of product placement by DJI, highlighting the Mavic Pro.

Invade?? You've been awfully argumentative the last few days.@Blank_Canvas theres no need for it.

It was from the carpark I also popped into the clubhouse and asked them first.

Anyways first flight with my Phantom 4 Pro.
filmed at 4k 60fps
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQbbAkBId58&feature=youtu.be

What I find interesting is that camera left there is quite a bit of urbanization but as soon as the camera swivels away and it's out of view all you seen is lots and lots of forest with this castle plopped in the middle of it. Amazing.

I don't know if this has been covered already, has anyone managed to register with the FAA in the US? I am going to Texas in a few months and wanted to take my P2 with me. There's a lot of open space and good landscapes in Texas so I really wanted to get some flight time in.

I tried to register my Drone last year but their web site wasn't setup to take foreign registrations, so I waited. Now I can complete the online form, but, I have since read the FAQ's and it's a bit confusing. It seems if you are not a US Citizen, you can register but your registration will act as a Proof Of Ownership. The problem is, I can't see anywhere if that means Proof Of Ownership is adequate to allow you to fly. They even offer a refund for Proof Of Ownership registrations, suggesting that you cannot fly without being a US citizen, and a full and proper registration.

The FAQ says that you need to have a registered Drone to be able to fly, again it misses the point about whether or not Proof Of Ownership will allow you to fly.

So I emailed them...

I asked the following:

I am planning on visiting the United States from the UK this summer and hope to bring my drone with me. I have been looking through the registration and FAQ and am a little confused by the information. The FAQ says that for foreign nationals, the registration certificate acts as proof of ownership, not registration, does this certificate of ownership permit me to fly my UAS in the US?

If not, then does that mean I am unable to fly my UAS in the United States?

I thought this was a clear question, their response...

Good Afternoon Mark,

Yes, an FAA UAS registration number permits you to operate your drone in the United States.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Have a great day!

Is it me or this completely ambiguous? I don't know if my Proof Of Ownership will contain a "Registration Number".

Any thoughts? Or should I just reply and ask for further clarification?

In the "Top Picks" part of Sky Q there is a program called "The 20 Best Drone Shots of 2016".

I wonder if my Mavic will ship tomorrow as they originally said in the email.... and if so how long will it take to arrive, by the weekend would be nice :)

I wonder if my Mavic will ship tomorrow as they originally said in the email.... and if so how long will it take to arrive, by the weekend would be nice :)

I'm shocked, despatched as advertised with delivery tomorrow morning, play time at the weekend!

is there anywhere in the UK with Mavic Pro stock at the moment?
i would buy direct from Apple but i want it before September :rolleyes:

Doubtful. DJI are reaping the rewards of direct selling. I think DJI direct is your best bet. Over on MavicPro Forums they're talking about how all the other retailers like Maplin, Heliguy etc have been promised deliveries over the past couple of days for them not to arrive. Heliguy has just had his money taken and been lead along the path I've been made to believe.

Mine is out for delivery as we speak yay!

Last edited:

What I'd like to know is say I go out with my drone and make a nice video with nice scenes for myself/YouTube etc and the video was made with flights that are within the general use guidelines. I'm then approached by a company who wants to buy that video to use as an advert on tv or something else public. Does that mean I couldn't sell it because the CAA states that for any commercial work you require permission from them.

The film wasn't even created with the intention of selling nor was it produced specifically for that company.

Legally you cannot use it for any gain, even though you made the video with no intention of it being used commercially the law still applies, and you cannot legally sell it.

There was an email from DJI saying they've more or less caught up and (direct buying) delay not much more than a week, however Chinese New Year starts about now!
I see they've stopped producing the Phantom 3 with possible exception of entry level Standard version.
This rationalisation ought to help with output of the newer models.

I ordered direct from DJI and delivery tomorrow means it has taken 2 weeks from date of order, not bad!

There was an email from DJI saying they've more or less caught up and (direct buying) delay not much more than a week, however Chinese New Year starts about now!
I see they've stopped producing the Phantom 3 with possible exception of entry level Standard version.
This rationalisation ought to help with output of the newer models.

I'm certain the CNY is the 28th :)

It is 28th Jan, but most workers leave the factories and make the journey home as early as now. The 27th dinner is the most important family event of the year.

I was unfortunate enough to be stuck in a suburb Shanghai hotel by myself during 2016 Chinese new year period (looking after grandparents who are in care home). A lot of restaurants were closed almost a week before the new year date. There were hardly anywhere to eat, even some hotels were closed, also can't get any sleep due to people setting off fireworks after midnight. I wouldn't recommend visiting China over this period, it's meant for families, nothing else.

When I was in China this December, the drone prices were really tempting. £760 for a Mavic, £350 for a Breeze. It'd be even cheaper (think <£700 for Mavic) if it wasn't for a vote in June. I'll certainly be very interested for a cheaper Mavic-like drone next time I visit.

Just give me a folding, portable drone with a great photo camera and a compact controller. A cheap Mavic without all the intelligence and 1080p video will do me nicely.

Today I flew my P4P and had quite a few issues with the obstacle avoidance system saying that there was close objects when there was nothing around it, Anyone had issues like this before?

It can give problems if you're pointing towards the sun, also if it's new make sure any plastic protective film is removed from the sensor.
I'm not a fan of having them on by default, forward speed is reduced for one thing and on a windy day that can be crucial.

Do you think someone who has never owned a drone would be ok with a Mavic Pro... or are they likely to bin it after a few flights... i want one but its a massive outlay (for me) yet need the portability. should i buy a cheapy to get used to piloting them first?

Do you think someone who has never owned a drone would be ok with a Mavic Pro... or are they likely to bin it after a few flights... i want one but its a massive outlay (for me) yet need the portability. should i buy a cheapy to get used to piloting them first?

Go straight for the Mavic, you'll be fine. Just take it steady. My first drone was a P3A and just took off kept it low and in open space until I was comfortable with it and I'd say I'm pretty confident with it now.

It's pretty foolproof, it comes in beginner mode which stops it going too far.
The worst thing people do is rush to try it in a tight back yard or even indoors.
It flies very precise but tight spaces are not good place to start.
Find a good open area and get up reasonably high above anything that could be hit should you get at all disorientated as it turns.

Back