The General Drone-Related Thread

well it's nearly March. i guess the new shipment of Mavic Pro's will be here soon.
anyone else looking forward to a delivery ? :D

I just wish there was some decent weather, I've had about 2 decent days since I got the drone a month or so ago, it's either raining or wind speeds of 20/30+ :(

- or dark -
So often it's windy all day then after sunset it drops out.
Since there's been a few firmware and app updates, which seems wise to do at this early stage with Mavics, all you get chance to do is a couple of short tests then they start again!
The latest Firmware has made D-Log pretty nice to use though.
You can also now download (e.g.) all UK mapping to store offline which is useful here as phone signal let alone 3G is a rarity.

Last edited:
Well I,ve had my mavic pro for just over 2 months now and love it, running a nvidia shield with it on a custom mount, very stable and fits in a lowepro mini trekker backpack with my sony A65 and a couple of lenes. Its another string to my bow when I'm out and about. I had a phantom 3 pro before but this was too big to take out with my DSLR. Love doing videos now.

Last edited:
Well I really need to get out with mine tomorrow as the last time I used it I was not happy with the quality so if it's still the same I need to send it back.

It was basically suffering from the water painting look which is just not acceptable for me. There was a possible fix but the wind hasn't dropped below 20/30 here for weeks for me to test it. Love the drone but if the quality of footage is hit and miss then it's going back.

Depends on your budget?

If you're looking for something cheapish (and not a hard case as linked above) then there's a few on this site that look reasonable at £50 :

http://dronesforless.co.uk/dji/d4l-backpack-for-dji-phantom-1-2-3-4-quadcopter-drones-black/blue/
Thanks still undecided whether to get the hard or soft.

Well I really need to get out with mine tomorrow as the last time I used it I was not happy with the quality so if it's still the same I need to send it back.

It was basically suffering from the water painting look which is just not acceptable for me. There was a possible fix but the wind hasn't dropped below 20/30 here for weeks for me to test it. Love the drone but if the quality of footage is hit and miss then it's going back.
I have seen this in low light, camera reset or switch between NTSC and PAL and back seems to help.
Increasingly I don't think it's wise to reduce sharpness below zero either.
The new D-Log is pretty good and is quite easily graded without using a LUT.

Recorded this yesterday on D-Log at 0, -2, 0 Taco RC ND4 and Auto exposure, manual white balance at 6800
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBeJwtBytc

I have seen this in low light, camera reset or switch between NTSC and PAL and back seems to help.
Increasingly I don't think it's wise to reduce sharpness below zero either.
The new D-Log is pretty good and is quite easily graded without using a LUT.

Recorded this yesterday on D-Log at 0, -2, 0 Taco RC ND4 and Auto exposure, manual white balance at 6800
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBeJwtBytc

I tried it yesterday with -1,-1,-1 and it was reasonable... I was still using cinelike though and not tried D-Log or Art yet.

I will try what you have suggested over the weekend if the weather is OK. I'm also using the Taco ND set, don't seem too bad.

That footage looks good, so are you manually grading without using any LUT?

Yes I have a few LUTS look OK with the D-log but light conditions vary so much it often seems easier to get the whole sequence roughly how you want on an adjustment layer - using primarily contrast and saturation, then do any minor tweaks to exposure on each clip - e.g. in that one heading towards sun near the church was too bright as recorded compared to the rest.

FFS i took advice from a friend & ordered from somewhere else a couple or 3 weeks ago & i'm still waiting.
hopefully next week

I know someone that ordered from WEX in November and still no sign of it. Only email updates apologising for the delay.

Why not try Maplin and cancel other order? Alternatively, DJI seem to be processing quicly also.

We have been licky. We got #1 given to us at launch, bought #2 in US so no long waits.

I know someone that ordered from WEX in November and still no sign of it. Only email updates apologising for the delay.

Why not try Maplin and cancel other order? Alternatively, DJI seem to be processing quicly also.

We have been licky. We got #1 given to us at launch, bought #2 in US so no long waits.

I'd second this. I ordered one from Maplin a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered in three days.

If you sign up to Quidco, you'll get 4% off as well at the moment.

I just sold my DJI Phantom 3 Advance to a friend & bought a Mavic Pro from the photography show, only flown it twice in my large garden at the moment, cant wait to take it out to the coast or somewhere a little interesting :)

Some decent weather coming up for it anyway, the wind has been such a problem here.

If flying over water, it might be worth considering one or 2 of THESE things. S**t happens so they could help mop it up afterwards if it happens to you!

Last edited:
Drones have a lot of potential but unfortunately some level of regulation is necessary given the near-misses / accidents / and sometimes annoying use. Went to Hampstead Heath this morning to watch the sunrise only to have a drone buzzing around like a mosquito. I sympathise however from the point of view that it is a really potent new way to explore views and shots.

Drones have a lot of potential but unfortunately some level of regulation is necessary given the near-misses / accidents / and sometimes annoying use. Went to Hampstead Heath this morning to watch the sunrise only to have a drone buzzing around like a mosquito. I sympathise however from the point of view that it is a really potent new way to explore views and shots.

You mean the "reported" and mostly incorrectly reported near-misses.

I agree don't fly by an airport, in a crowded place, above certain height or whatever it's common sense, I'd also be happy to have a drone license and have age restrictions but regulations because of a witch hunt or peoples ignorance is not right.

Annoying use, mmm using a drone at Sunrise, tough luck on that one. I went for a sunset last week, ruined by screaming kids running around the place, annoying yes but doubt there's any regulations for that.

What you see reported about drones is not always accurate. The meida talks about drones and only mentions drones in their artiicles but when you actually look at the incident reports the media reports on, for a lot of them, the pilots did not state definitley that it was a drone, only 'a drone, or possibly a balloon' or an 'object, possibly a drone' etc.

It may be nowehre near as bad as the media reports and tries to make us all believe.

ME: Places tinfoil hat on head :)

Even if 90% of "drone" incidents are inaccurately reported, that still leaves 7 last year - at Heathrow alone.

I'd love one but can see them being banned or very tightly regulated in the not too distant future so have held off spending the cash!

Even if 90% of "drone" incidents are inaccurately reported, that still leaves 7 last year - at Heathrow alone.

I'd love one but can see them being banned or very tightly regulated in the not too distant future so have held off spending the cash!
Your firgures are a lot different from the ones I have seen but I know what you are trying to say.

Go through the UK Airprox Board's reports. IIRC it was the Engadget site that did the counting.

Two Mavic vids from Saturday - great weather for this now, and camera does much better with good light.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLfNktbxnFU

What sort of distance did you go wth that one, I know the Mavic has a range of 7KM or whatever but I'm only just getting used to it and not pushed it.

On the below video I went about 1700M, I was planning to fly to the big lake but chickened out... next time!!! :)

Back