The General Drone-Related Thread

Admin #1

Edit My Images
No
A thread to discuss the new technology in the world of photography,

Last edited by a moderator:
I build them using a variety of manufacturing techniques, mostly 3D printing.

Haven't been out flying since last weekend, the weather has been horrendous for it.
Interesting article, this technology certainly has its uses, even the mini drones can be fitted with GPS and waypoint navigation and a tiny stabilised camera system.

I build them using a variety of manufacturing techniques, mostly 3D printing.

Haven't been out flying since last weekend, the weather has been horrendous for it.
Interesting article, this technology certainly has its uses, even the mini drones can be fitted with GPS and waypoint navigation and a tiny stabilised camera system.

Your skills are most impressive, wish I had a fraction of your technical knowledge and skills (y)

I bought the DJI P3 Professional a month back and chuffing love it clocked up 7 hours flying time now, IQ is reasonably good when photos are taken in good light light even more so considering it's hovering and bobbing about in the wind, I have no RC experience but love this toy :)

Daz

Attachments

• DJI_0149small.jpg
    DJI_0149small.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 186
Sadly there won't be much flying with the weather as it is!

This is very true, my P3P has been very much grounded since the beginning of the much I'm getting itchy flying fingers

I bought the DJI P3 Professional a month back and chuffing love it clocked up 7 hours flying time now, IQ is reasonably good when photos are taken in good light light even more so considering it's hovering and bobbing about in the wind, I have no RC experience but love this toy :)

Daz

Seems we have a similar addiction, got my P3P about two months ago, again pretty much zero experience but longing it also very impressed at the photo quality

I sold a P2 a while ago and bought a Yuneec Q500. It is incredibly stable and flies very well, problem is, we must live in the windiest corner of Kent, I rarely get to fly it now. The camera is superb, even in low light, you still see plenty of detail. I should imagine the 4K version is great, if you have 4K ability on your to or pc

Last edited:
I just read that the update to DJI Go introduces no-fly zones over stadia.

I just read that the update to DJI Go introduces no-fly zones over stadia.

So long as they are not over zealous with the NFZ I really don't see that being an issue, hopefully it will not be 5 miles as it is with airports

So long as they are not over zealous with the NFZ I really don't see that being an issue, hopefully it will not be 5 miles as it is with airports

I would think almost all stadia are in what the CAA define as a congested area anyway, so legally off limits.

Only during a match though.

Article 167 of the ANO states that a Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft (a drone with a camera) must not fly "over or within 150 metres of any congested area".

A congested area is defined as:

"In relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes."

The above relates to whether a match is in progress or not.

No problem flying mine anywhere, we are 1/4 mile from the nearest road!

It's pushing it to describe an empty Stadium as a congested area.
The only one I'm familiar with is Middlesbrough and it would be perfectly OK to take shots of it from the adjacent river or waste ground when not in use, so no reason to block off the area.

It's pushing it to describe an empty Stadium as a congested area.
The only one I'm familiar with is Middlesbrough and it would be perfectly OK to take shots of it from the adjacent river or waste ground when not in use, so no reason to block off the area.

I agree, but according to the CAA and large park in a town is a congested area.

Geo fencing can easily be bypassed, just unplug the GPS unit and fly in ATTI mode, sure you'll have no RTH, but it certainly makes flying more fun.

Btw I don't condone irresponsible flying, but I don't see why we should be constrained by dictatorship companies/governments, have fun, fly safe :)

See a bit about Drones on Watchdog starting now, BBC1

How painful was it, I'm going to have to catch it on iplayer as only saw the tail end of the program where they said they were to investigate another crash :(

How painful was it, I'm going to have to catch it on iplayer as only saw the tail end of the program where they said they were to investigate another crash :(

One drone crashed in a ladies garden nearly taking her washing line out. It was right beside the Eurostar train line right enough. Another guy flew his over the Natural History museum in London i think and got arrested as he didn't realise that there was any rules for flying them.
And a Gyrocopter instructor is claiming 2 near misses while flying/ landing. One police force say they have had a 20 fold increase in drone complaints this year compared to 2014

Geo fencing can easily be bypassed, just unplug the GPS unit and fly in ATTI mode, sure you'll have no RTH, but it certainly makes flying more fun.

Btw I don't condone irresponsible flying, but I don't see why we should be constrained by dictatorship companies/governments, have fun, fly safe :)

You just did, I would say bypassing any safety feature (NFZ and RTH both being safety features) is the definition of being irresponsible.

You just did, I would say bypassing any safety feature (NFZ and RTH both being safety features) is the definition of being irresponsible.

Well not really because my naze32 fun fly board doesn't have GPS, RTH or any safety features like that by design, is that being irresponsible?... no, its up to the operator to choose a suitable location to fly, not some computer telling you not to do it.
I turn GPS off by the remote on my midi hexacopter, I know that if I need it I can flick a switch and use it, but when I'm flipping and rolling a fun fly copter, GPS will just get in the way and possibly be a cause of a crash rather than a pilot aid.
Trust me I know all too well what happens when GPS/compass and a radio glitches out, I've had some epic saves too.

:)

One drone crashed in a ladies garden nearly taking her washing line out. It was right beside the Eurostar train line right enough. Another guy flew his over the Natural History museum in London i think and got arrested as he didn't realise that there was any rules for flying them.
And a Gyrocopter instructor is claiming 2 near misses while flying/ landing. One police force say they have had a 20 fold increase in drone complaints this year compared to 2014

The NHM one I'm willing to bet I've seen that one before via Facebook, was it the highly narcissistic couple and he was also planning on flying it inside the museum too?

I'd love to see the nature of the complaints

In fairness assuming the gyrocopter guy was in open airspace then it's for him to avoid collisions as much as the drone pilot and he should of filed air prox reports

In fairness assuming the gyrocopter guy was in open airspace then it's for him to avoid collisions as much as the drone pilot and he should of filed air prox reports

He did claim one near miss was as a student was at the controls and coming in to land at the airstrip and he had to take over the controls and take avoiding action to miss the drone. And the other incident was as he was above 500 ft.

He did claim one near miss was as a student was at the controls and coming in to land at the airstrip and he had to take over the controls and take avoiding action to miss the drone. And the other incident was as he was above 500 ft.

I assume he filed air prox reports for both, although it does sound like the drone pilot was being a tit.

Edit actually found the air prox. It sounds like the drone was way too high.

Last edited:
I assume he filed air prox reports for both, although it does sound like the drone pilot was being a tit.

Edit actually found the air prox. It sounds like the drone was way too high.

It sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do, im only going by what was on watchdog last night. One of the other things mentioned on the programme was a police horse while out in a field at its stables bolted through a fence and had to be put down and a drone was found carried close by and they were guessing that it had scared the horse.

It sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do, im only going by what was on watchdog last night. One of the other things mentioned on the programme was a police horse while out in a field at its stables bolted through a fence and had to be put down and a drone was found carried close by and they were guessing that it had scared the horse.

I really hope that's not the case, what a tit if it is.

I fly gliders/paragliders and hang gliders as well as models. I have a drone too but I prefer gliding flight even in models.

The rules are pretty simple for drones. Not much more the common sense really, I hope that the few start using some sense before the spoil it for all

Finally watched the watchdog section this afternoon, sad to see the BBC probably the biggest user of quads for their shows still seems to have an almost pathological downer on quads and to operators of them :( yes there some colossal cocks using them but most operators of higher value quads do so with a reasonable degree of care

I hope that the few start using some sense before the spoil it for all

Amen! I love toys and would love a decent drone but I'm holding off until all the crap settles down to see what the final rules are likely to be.

The worst things about loving my use of a quad copter is one, it's another expensive hobby though it is also kind of related to photography so it could be argued as just an extension to another already expensive hobby...but secondly I also find myself noticing where footage is comes from a camera drone, such as my guilty pleasure gold rush on discovery, that seems to have a massive love of them including a inspire actually showing up in front of the camera in the preview of next weeks show last night so will be interesting to see what that is about

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...eath-of-west-yorkshire-police-horse-1-7562448

It made a bit of a noise here locally as a news story, looking at the video its a bit inconclusive, more "possible" than "certain"....I dunno

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...eath-of-west-yorkshire-police-horse-1-7562448

It made a bit of a noise here locally as a news story, looking at the video its a bit inconclusive, more "possible" than "certain"....I dunno

I find it a bit hard to believe myself, from what I've read the police helicopter is also based on site, fair to say that's going to make a lot more noise and is more likely to scare the horse, additionally police horses are trained specifically not to be spooked by noises and lights etc...sad about the horse but I personally find it hard to believe the RC was the cause

Back