The General Drone-Related Thread

By law it has to stay within view, that'll depend on the individual and their eye sight. I use a flashing led to aid in keeping it in view and allows me to go a bit further. I can maybe see my air2s upto 1000 meters in the right conditions. The mini3pro is smaller, so even more difficult to see.

I have only had what, I would call a toy drone before with a terrible camera, so could do with advice on the Dji mini 3 pro, I have watched a few YouTube vids saying, the distance that it can fly is not what is advertised and start to break up image and lose signal at around 350 to 400 meters. How far would you want it to fly. I thought you have to keep it in sight, please let me know how far you fly your drone. I have seen that you can buy an app for your mobile that makes the drone fly further but on the remote with built in screen I don’t know if this will be possible, Thank you for any advice
I would think it ought to go at least 1km before signal breaks up however the EU version will have lower power output than US version.
With other drones it doesn't make as much difference as you would think provided there aren't obstacles in the way.
In the olden days with phantom 2 you could just turn a switch yourself on the controller :p
While not condoning naughty behaviour in an area you know well with no people about it is pretty harmless to go a bit further provided your link via camera is sound.
E.g. Low along a deserted beach any risk is minimal.

I have only had what, I would call a toy drone before with a terrible camera, so could do with advice on the Dji mini 3 pro, I have watched a few YouTube vids saying, the distance that it can fly is not what is advertised and start to break up image and lose signal at around 350 to 400 meters. How far would you want it to fly. I thought you have to keep it in sight, please let me know how far you fly your drone. I have seen that you can buy an app for your mobile that makes the drone fly further but on the remote with built in screen I don’t know if this will be possible, Thank you for any advice
It's quite easy to lose sight of a mini, even at around 200m, especially if it's high and you're swopping between filming and flying. Those distances don't sound very much but they are often plenty to get a panoramic view. I have the SE and I've had a few signal warnings but nothing that has caused an issue or made it return to home. I lack the courage to fully test that though!

My mini 3 goes a lot further than 500m before signal break up. Think I got to about 1100m yesterday before it got glitchy. I could have gone further but chose not to(Private land). In normal use you don’t need any more than about 300m anyway as you can’t see it past that.

I watched a North America video once where he sent his Mini 2 10 kms away: Distance test . He is in Canada though so things may be different.

The CE (UK) Occusync drones are limited to maximum 6 Km......

Last edited:
Visual line of sight is the compliant limit of travel but I find, with my Mini2, that trees really impact the signal and video transmission more than I thought they should. I’ve been flying it just over a year and generally don’t have issues pushing it to the limits of my eyesight, but trees seem to be my new enemy

I’m tempted to get a drone but it all sound confusing where and when you can fly. I will defo be looking at one under 250g. Is there a good starting guide somewhere to the rules and what you need to do to register?

What’s the best place to see restricted airspace where you can’t fly?
I’ve look at several maps of around Manchester and over Manchester airport they all have different size areas of restricted airspace so they all can’t be right!

I use Drone Assist, alongside the DJI Fly app.

Link for IOS:

Link for Android:

I use Drone Assist, alongside the DJI Fly app.

Link for IOS:

Link for Android:

I got that app but I’m confused by the area for example I’m in Manchester and it looos like there’s a no fly zone over pretty much all of Manchester which seems a bit ridiculous

Kirkpatrick Fleming Parish Church, Dumfries and Galloway. Original construction 1778.

Mavic Air 2.

AD50F51B-89FD-45D4-BC7B-420D0C8BEB8C.jpeg

Anyone else crumble and order the mini 3 pro today?
Did you order one, and has it arrived.
I might go for one yet as the under 250g rules are so much more relaxed.
Combined with much lower noise levels by all accounts.
I have seen some really nice results from using the cinelike video especially.

I was fairly tempted by the Mini 3 with the image size and follow me etc features but I decided that a Mini 2 is probably more suitable and good enough for a first drone!

For now :)

I'm impressed with the clarity of the images, I do like the video, excellent :)

It's *the best* one which is free, it does a lot more than you likely need and seems very complicated to start with.
There's a lot of info online to get you going though - worth trying.

I did have a quick Google search yesterday but thought I'd check in here too. I hand just edited on my phone in the DJI app which is okay but I think more colour adjustment is what I would like with regard to HSL and highlight/shadow colour grading.

I had the mavic 2. Ex wife must have stolen it mind as I’ve no idea where it is and there’s plenty of other things that have gone missing in the mess…

I can’t be bothered with all the paper work and I won’t be doing anything commercial so would the mini 3 provide an mavic 2 like experience? Looking at the mavic mini 2 and the mini se, both seem to fall a little shy. The Air2s looks great but the size means certain regs need to be followed.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm very inexperienced.

I went for the Mini for the ease of use, size and weight.

I would have went for the 3. I nearly did! But thought it a bit pricey for a first drone.

I had the mavic 2. Ex wife must have stolen it mind as I’ve no idea where it is and there’s plenty of other things that have gone missing in the mess…

I can’t be bothered with all the paper work and I won’t be doing anything commercial so would the mini 3 provide an mavic 2 like experience? Looking at the mavic mini 2 and the mini se, both seem to fall a little shy. The Air2s looks great but the size means certain regs need to be followed.

Any help would be appreciated.
You have 10 bit video in H.265 and it can do 4k at 50/60fps which Mavic 2 can't do.
Can do DNG RAW for stills and bracketing etc all similar.
It's not going to be as capable as Air2s in strong winds, otherwise not a lot of advantages to the heavier models.

It's *the best* one which is free, it does a lot more than you likely need and seems very complicated to start with.
There's a lot of info online to get you going though - worth trying.

Okay. So it turns out Davinci doesn't work with Windows 7......

Did you order one, and has it arrived.
I might go for one yet as the under 250g rules are so much more relaxed.
Combined with much lower noise levels by all accounts.
I have seen some really nice results from using the cinelike video especially.
Yes, it arrived last week in May. Got a few hours under my belt now and it’s defo better than the 2.

Reactions: 4wd
I think I’ll get an order in on th RC version now. If we a toss us between this and the new m2 air but I have an m1 max 16” and an m1 air already, will just have to use the m1 air a little longer and then move it on.

Thanks for the heads up, saves waiting 6+ weeks!

I do have a Mavic 2 Pro and won't be selling it, but the less onerous rules for 250g limit allow so much more to be done without feeling you might be challenged.
Plus the smaller size and weight to carry is a major plus point.
I also dislike being obliged to carry and connect my phone every time it comes out however briefly.

Last edited:
Ordered the mini 3 pro RC.

It’ll be here tomorrow, just updated my flyer and operator license as they either expired or didn’t exist? I’m guessing the former.

M1 Air will have to go up in the sale section to help fund its replacement..

Can’t wait until tomorrow, no microSD though.. hmmm..

I do have a Mavic 2 Pro and won't be selling it, but the less onerous rules for 250g limit allow so much more to be done without feeling you might be challenged.
Plus the smaller size and weight to carry is a major plus point.
I also dislike being obliged to carry and connect my phone every time it comes out however briefly.
The mini 3 with RC controller does look good. Like you say not needing a phone is useful.

I still need to get out with the mini I bought off here last year. Still a bit apprehensive about flying it.

It’ll be here tomorrow, just updated my flyer and operator license as they either expired or didn’t exist? I’m guessing the former.

It has some onboard storage enough for one flight.
Mine due tomorrow also, was told at 2pm not possible today.

I went SanDisk at My Memory 2 day delivery after getting stung with a fake Samsung card from Amazon.

I work at Transcend so I’m sure I can possibly do something and get one through work. More industrial and enterprise reliable rather than all out speed so I’ll have to do some research to see if the criteria can be met. If not, Sandisk or Lexar have always been a previous “go to”

Well it’s arrived, I’ve got a 128gb and a 512gb v30 rated Sandisk card coming too (couldn’t wait for work as not in office for a week or more). 160/90 so something so should be fine. Apparently need one for the controller so that’s where the 128gb comes in. If it turns out I can shove an 8gb cheapo in there then I’ll do that and keep the 128gb as a spare.

So far so good, very quite compared to my old full sized mavic. RC remote is incredible. Feels like a light weight RC Pro however I’ve got the drone and the remote for the price of just an RC Pro so who ever put those prices in place at DJI is a hero.

I’ll get a pic or two up at some point, I need to sticker my drone and don’t have them yet so no flying beyond an “does it work” flight in the garage (which I do not recommend by the way).

Air2S beating specs and price in a mini form factor. Incredible.

It's quite windy here but have had a safe-feeling flight with no complaints on screen about wind gusting around 20mph.
When it is close by you can se it being buffeted a fair bit but image is incredibly stable.
The controller is a delight to use, in cine mode very smooth and easy to make good video movements, I might slow the gimbal a bit more though.

Back