The General Drone-Related Thread

First outing with the mini 2 this aft, purchased from Tim @TVRTim , very happy

In my haste, I forgot to insert an SD card, it wasn't until this evening I've realised videos were being saved to phone :rolleyes:

First time I've flown and had an enjoyable, if not cold, hour on the moors.

Still a lot to learn on the technical side but flying the drone was fun, simple and easy.

Nothing special but thought I'd post one of the videos, cheers

View: https://youtu.be/jEyfzNk2ZCk

Glad your enjoying it Phil, looks cold up there, we have had a light dusting of snow down here on Dartmoor but not much.

Anyone gone from a Mavic 2 Pro to a Mavic Air 2s? and if so how did it compare in picture quality etc.?

I've got the Mavic 2 Pro which is great but owing yet another knee injury I need to reduce weight on hikes so thinking of changing to the Air 2s.

Anyone gone from a Mavic 2 Pro to a Mavic Air 2s? and if so how did it compare in picture quality etc.?

I've got the Mavic 2 Pro which is great but owing yet another knee injury I need to reduce weight on hikes so thinking of changing to the Air 2s.
Hi Jase, I have but I've not been able to get out with it because either the weather on Dartmoor has been crap or I've been at work, so I can't really help you yet but this guy "Andy" can :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AxXtacHJI

Tells you all you need to know.

Hi Jase, I have but I've not been able to get out with it because either the weather on Dartmoor has been crap or I've been at work, so I can't really help you yet but this guy "Andy" can :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AxXtacHJI

Tells you all you need to know.

Thanks I've watched, I'm, pretty much decided to change just need to decide if I sell the Mavic 2 Pro privately or trade in.

I know what you mean with the weather, my Pro 2 has had next to no use yet I've charged the batteries countless times only for the weather to stop my plans :(

First trip out with the Mavic Mini where the wind was (briefly) below about 15mph!

DJI_0034 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Going between that and my full-frame camera it's a real struggle editing the JPEG files, not much to work with! Would love an Air 2S but also love the freedom that the sub 250g drone gives me.

Last edited:
Reactions: RIR
Get a mini 2 and shoot RAW then!
Can see little difference between the files from my mini 2 and my mavic 2 pro Tbh.

Get a mini 2 and shoot RAW then!
Can see little difference between the files from my mini 2 and my mavic 2 pro Tbh.

Yep I'll see how I get on with the Mini first, only £245 for the Fly More combo so I felt it was a good time to jump in to see if I'd actually use it, it's basically worth that on the used market so nothing lost if I hated it/didn't use it.

If I'm still using it regularly by the summer I'll probably upgrade. Although as far as I'm aware, the Mini 2 has the same camera, so I'm not sure if RAW support would make that much difference.

I'll also keep an eye on where I fly, so far everywhere would have been fine with a bigger drone, so it might be that I can go for a >250g drone and not lose out much.

Anyone here with a mini 2 and using 3rd party software?

I see DJI have released the SDK files so 3rd party apps can now make a few more drone compatible. I find the genuine software good but the one feature I'd love is the follow me option. I understand that there are no proximity sensors so you have to get the height etc all set up before hand but can anyone say if they are using 3rd party software and can recommend one over the other? I think

Hi all,

I haven't flown a drone for a few years now, but I've flown many drones in the past (some of the original Oktocopters and I have an old DJI Naza quad kicking about in the garage...). I also fly fixed wing model aircraft (some have cameras attached!!) and I'm a member of the BMFA...

I'm really tempted to get a DJI Mini 2, mainly for it's compact size and the ability to fly it in more places than a >250g drone. I feel I'll get more use out of it if I can put it in my camera rucksack than something bigger/more expensive.

What are people's thoughts on the image quality? I'm mainly interested in images rather than video. Would the Mavic Air 2 with the 1" sensor be a better bet for photography? I do prefer the size of the Mini 2 though...

Also, what's the consensus on insurance? I see that DJI offer their own cover and I've looking into CoverDrone too. I don't think I'll use it much in urban areas. Do non-commercial users bother with cover for liability and the drone?

Ed

I looked at the same and for image quality, the Air2 wins hands down. Not to say the Mini2 is bad. It’s not.

The other key point I picked out was the lack of sensors in the mini2. Not a deal breaker but one to be aware of.

The portability and <250g of the mini2 is the main sell IMO.

Here’s a review:

I've always thought if you are over something that might get broken you are using somewhere best avoided.
I wonder how many real world examples there are of actual insurance payouts.
It depends how much you use it too, when I first started with them it was out nearly every week but now it's about half a dozen times a year and don't do anything very ambitious.

Hi all,

I haven't flown a drone for a few years now, but I've flown many drones in the past (some of the original Oktocopters and I have an old DJI Naza quad kicking about in the garage...). I also fly fixed wing model aircraft (some have cameras attached!!) and I'm a member of the BMFA...

I'm really tempted to get a DJI Mini 2, mainly for it's compact size and the ability to fly it in more places than a >250g drone. I feel I'll get more use out of it if I can put it in my camera rucksack than something bigger/more expensive.

What are people's thoughts on the image quality? I'm mainly interested in images rather than video. Would the Mavic Air 2 with the 1" sensor be a better bet for photography? I do prefer the size of the Mini 2 though...

Also, what's the consensus on insurance? I see that DJI offer their own cover and I've looking into CoverDrone too. I don't think I'll use it much in urban areas. Do non-commercial users bother with cover for liability and the drone?
I have a DJI Mini2 and have experienced a couple of snags although I'm probably not representative.

The first is that I took the drone up with the intention of taking photographs only although I usually shoot video. All went well until I switched back to video for the return flight and my phone screen went blank as far as pictures were concerned although I still had the map showing in the left hand corner. I had let the drone out of my sight (although not far) so couldn't tell which way I was facing and couldn't fly it home. I hit the RTH button and a few seconds later the drone appeared in line of sight. I landed it, 'cycled the power' and it was fine and never happened again. I am not the first to experience this as confirmed by a couple of forums.

The second is more minor if a little annoying. I haven't used it that much, probably about five hours flying time, and one of the motors has become a little stiff and sometimes wont start unless I give it a little push. I did fly it in cloud one day so perhaps a little lubrication has been lost.

On the bright side, I am very happy with the photographs I get from it and the videos are sharp as you like. I don't suppose it would do commercially but for home videos and examining your neighbours gardens minutely ;), it's pretty good. Camera stabilisation is brilliant, you wouldn't know it was on a drone being buffeted by the wind. Self-landing works fine and is pretty accurate even after a long flight. Buy the 'Fly More' package as you get a case, a charger (which acts as a power bank if you need it) and three batteries. I would buy again.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ed

I looked at the same and for image quality, the Air2 wins hands down. Not to say the Mini2 is bad. It’s not.

The other key point I picked out was the lack of sensors in the mini2. Not a deal breaker but one to be aware of.

The portability and <250g of the mini2 is the main sell IMO.

Here’s a review:
Thanks mate, I figured as much. I guess I need to ask myself how portable I want it to be and how much bigger the Air2 is. Could do with seeing them in the flesh really.
I've always thought if you are over something that might get broken you are using somewhere best avoided.
I wonder how many real world examples there are of actual insurance payouts.
It depends how much you use it too, when I first started with them it was out nearly every week but now it's about half a dozen times a year and don't do anything very ambitious.
That’s a fair point. I’m covered for liability via the BMFA but it won’t replace the drone should I do something stupid or lose signal. I’ve no idea whether DJI or DroneWorld would payout in those situations, so it’s probably not worth it. Having flown drones for a living in the past, I’m pretty careful where I fly so hopefully I’ll avoid anything bad happening.

Last edited:
I have a DJI Mini2 and have experienced a couple of snags although I'm probably not representative.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks Martin, that’s great information to know.

Quick question, does the Mini2 record RAW images? I seem to remember reading that it did.

Thanks Martin, that’s great information to know.

Quick question, does the Mini2 record RAW images? I seem to remember reading that it did.

Yes RAW and JPEG. Size-wise, the Mini 2 is aptly named, you could fit it in a coat pocket as the rotors all fold away when not in use.

Last edited:
Has anyone looked at flying in Cologne. Hope to grab a couple of days there and struggled to find a map like drone assist for there - One I did find looked like flying could be tricky but not interactive like DA.

Can anyone recommend some good video editing software for drone footage? Preferably with the ability to colour correct.

I don't own a Mac and I'd rather not pay for anything on subscription e.g. Adobe as I already pay for Lightroom and PS... Thanks.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend some good video editing software for drone footage? Preferably with the ability to colour correct.

I don't own a Mac and I'd rather not pay for anything on subscription e.g. Adobe as I already pay for Lightroom and PS... Thanks.
I'm a total novice at video editing and started using Wondershare Filmora. It can colour correct. The latest version even allows easy speed ramping.
It'd be worth a look as they have a trial.

I'm a total novice at video editing and started using Wondershare Filmora. It can colour correct. The latest version even allows easy speed ramping.
It'd be worth a look as they have a trial.
Thanks wilt. Weirdly I’ve just been reading a review on Fimora. Good to hear some user feedback.

I’m not after anything too fancy, just basic editing and colour correction for now. It looks pretty good for the (reasonable) price.

Has anyone looked at flying in Cologne. Hope to grab a couple of days there and struggled to find a map like drone assist for there - One I did find looked like flying could be tricky but not interactive like DA.

Check out Map2Fly or Droniq, the latter being the official app.

Great advice on this thread - thanks everyone especially @TVRTim.

I bought a Mini2 from the classifieds on here and have completed the relevant training and registered :)

This is my first shot from the drone after a few practice runs and getting to grips with the DJI App. Still lots to learn but getting there!

Curves
by Adrian Roebuck, on Flickr

Well I'm about to take the plunge into drone photography! Many years ago I had a helium filled balloon with a camera suspended beneath it. The remote control was by hard wire! It worked, but not the greatest solution.

So, a drone is my next piece of equipment to satisfy my aerial photography desires!

Took my Flier ID this morning, even though I technically won't need it. I'm opting for a DJI Mini 2 Fly more Combo to begin with.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

Well, after doing some research I'm now torn between the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Drone Combo and the DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone Combo!

With the Mavic Air2 I like the idea of avoidance sensors and also the 48mp camera. Although I suspect that is manipulation rather than sensor related?

Does anyone here have any experience of the Mavic Air2 image quality by chance?

Well, after doing some research I'm now torn between the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Drone Combo and the DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone Combo!

With the Mavic Air2 I like the idea of avoidance sensors and also the 48mp camera. Although I suspect that is manipulation rather than sensor related?

The 48mp is no better than the 12mp, it's just market spin as I see no improvement of extra detail when I used it.
If you can stretch to the Air 2S then it's a fantastic drone.
I've had the mini, air 2 and now the air 2s. The larger sensor really helps and night time done photography/filming is much better, not to mention the jump from 12mp to 20mp.
Although there's more restrictions on anything other than the mini's where you can fly.

Personally, I would cut your teeth on the Mini 2. I have this and it is a very accomplished drone. Especially when you compare the cost to the Air 2S. I wouldn't (and didn't) go for the Air 2 as the improvement in sensor is not as great as first reading suggests so it was Mini 2 or Air 2S for me.

You can then progress to an Air 2S if you find the Mini2 limiting due to sensors or the sensor size although that does come with restrictions due to >250g weight.
The Mini2 Fly more combo with its extra batteries is excellent value especially if you can get hold of a second hand one in good condition which I was lucky enough to do.

Just my thoughts.

Personally, I would cut your teeth on the Mini 2. I have this and it is a very accomplished drone. Especially when you compare the cost to the Air 2S. I wouldn't (and didn't) go for the Air 2 as the improvement in sensor is not as great as first reading suggests so it was Mini 2 or Air 2S for me.

You can then progress to an Air 2S if you find the Mini2 limiting due to sensors or the sensor size although that does come with restrictions due to >250g weight.
The Mini2 Fly more combo with its extra batteries is excellent value especially if you can get hold of a second hand one in good condition which I was lucky enough to do.

Just my thoughts.
This is exactly the thought process I went through recently. Having a drone (mini2) that can be used almost anywhere completely outweighs the slightly better sensor and I've found that I use it far more for this reason. There are some great examples of images/video on the web of the mini2. It will shoot in RAW too.

It's a shame it doesn't have proximity sensors, but really, with some practice, you shouldn't be flying that close to anything solid anyway - although there are some situations where it would be handy (e.g. wind gusts).

Thank you all for your help and advice, it’s very much appreciated :)

The quality is very good, surprisingly so in fact.
Brentor 1 by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

Excellent :)

If you haven't had a drone before it's very comforting to think that it has sensors that will stop you flying into things. In reality the majority of drone crashes a caused by people flying sideways into trees. I don't thing the Air 2 has side sensors and the drones that have side sensors aren't great at detecting tree branches. I wouldn't base your decision on whether one has sensors or not.

Im still in the process of using the simulators after selling my mavic for something a bit more hardcore, kinda miss the predictability of dji stuff but I’ll get the hang of this other tech if it kills me!

There are now plenty of rumours circulating that the new Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro will be released at the end of April so it might be worth postponing any drone buying decisions until after then.

Or there may be deals to be had on old stock!

Reactions: RIR
Back