The General Drone-Related Thread

The mini 3 pro with built in screen is a very compact set up and stills and video from it are mostly impressive it particularly shines in lower light where older models would not have been worth trying. Then you have very few restrictions and it is so quiet any background noise like wind in trees, water or traffic drowns it out.
Hard to beat for simplicity with no need for phone.

Having recently bought the DJI Mini 3 Pro, I’m really impressed with it and with it being under 250g, it does offer some flexibility.

The mini 3 pro with built in screen is a very compact set up and stills and video from it are mostly impressive it particularly shines in lower light where older models would not have been worth trying. Then you have very few restrictions and it is so quiet any background noise like wind in trees, water or traffic drowns it out.
Hard to beat for simplicity with no need for phone.
The controller is huge though and a similar size to the DJI smart controller I'm using at the moment so the overall weight and size savings are pretty small compared to if you could fly it with just a phone like the original Mavic and no controller. The F1.8 aperture is good in low light but I mostly shoot during the day where that fixed aperture is a weakness as it can't be stopped down as it can on the bigger drones and it falls behind on dynamic range which is something I frequently feel I need more of even with the 1in sensor.

I wouldn't call it huge, you really can't beat turn both on and 30 seconds later away.
Being able to fly in 30 seconds is worthless if you don't have space for the controller however, I do like the smart controller for the convenience but it's extremely limiting in where I can carry the drone as I do not have the space to carry the controller and the drone along with my cycling equipment. So if I want to fly the drone I have to ditch the rest which is fine for short cycles but no use for longer ones.

Hence the Mini 3 Pro's smaller size is of no advantage to me if I have to carry its hefty controller as well, the Mavic 2 is small enough I can carry it with me already but not the hefty controller.

Last edited:
I carry mine over shoulder when on motorbike in the dji bag it swings round behind and is no bother at all.
Probably wouldn't work as well on mountain bike

Evening approaches at Preston Marina...

Preston Marina - where the city meets the sea, site of the Albert Edward Dock which opened in 1892 and at the time was the largest single dock in the country. In 1948 the dock was the first to introduce roll-on roll-off tracking, utilising the technique used by tank landing craft during the Second World War.

From its slow beginnings the docks experience a steady growth in trade in the early decades of the 20th century. With the outbreak of the First World War the docks took on a new role, exporting munitions produced by local factories that had been retooled for the war effort.

Over the course of its history the dock handled a wide variety of general cargoes. Incoming vessels would unload raw cotton, timber, china clay, fruit (including bananas and citrus from the West Indies), wheat, horses, cattle, coal, petroleum products, fishmeal, fertilisers, and wood pulp.

From October 1982 to November 1990 the former Isle of Man passenger vessel TSS Manxman was moored at Preston Dock. Originally purchased to be used as a museum and visitor centre, the vessel was converted for use as a floating restaurant and bar. Upon expiration of its mooring contract the vessel was towed to Liverpool.

Music: Water Shows The Hidden Heart by Enya.

Paul.

A couple of test photos from my new DJI Mini 3 Pro……

52984035649_92e3ec4b75_c.jpg

52984348563_e95ebfa767_c.jpg

The island of Hoy (Norse translation “High Island”), from Warebeth, near Stromness, Orkney.

dji_fly_20230705_135244_137_1688561572483_photo.jpeg

Earls Palace, Birsay, Orkney.

Although now only a shell of what came before, it's not hard to get a glimpse into what this structure would have looked like in its heyday. The palace was designed in a Renaissance style, with towers, a turnpike staircase and four wings surrounding the large central courtyard.

It's thought it was a place of relative opulence, with painted ceilings and brightly coloured wall-hangings. But it was also a fortified residence, featuring gun holes in every wall, suggesting the earl was no stranger to trouble.

The palace was only in use for a short time. It's estimated it was built between 1569 and 1574, but the overthrow of the Stewart earls in 1615 saw its story come to an end. By 1700, the roof was missing and the once grand palace was in ruin.

Nowadays, it's a fascinating place to visit, providing a real hands-on experience. It's free and open all-year-round.

The parish of Birsay has been at the centre of some of the most important moments in Orcadian history, from the Iron Age to the Picts, Norse and more. In the village, just along the road from the Earl's Palace you'll find the St Magnus Church. A predecessor of the current church could have been the first burial place of St Magnus, Orkney's patron saint.

(Source: Orkney.com)

dji_fly_20230706_143204_158_1688650333579_photo.jpeg

Yesnaby Castle, a sea stack in Orkney. I believe that it was used in a TV car advertisement years ago…..

Edit: the stack used in the car advertisement was apparently North Gaulton Castle, a bit further south…

dji_fly_20230710_150328_189_1688997817782_photo.jpeg

Last edited:
Just picked up a mini 3pro in the prime day deal and it’s arriving tmr.

Never had a drone so unsure on all the laws ect.

I believe I won’t need to sit any tests though I’ve been advised it’s worth doing.
But what else do I need to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m also looking to take it on holiday in the EU which I believe involves more registering as uk ones don’t apply.. anyone know more on this also

Just picked up a mini 3pro in the prime day deal and it’s arriving tmr.

Never had a drone so unsure on all the laws ect.

I believe I won’t need to sit any tests though I’ve been advised it’s worth doing.
But what else do I need to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m also looking to take it on holiday in the EU which I believe involves more registering as uk ones don’t apply.. anyone know more on this also

you will need an Operator ID: https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/individual/register-and-take-test-to-fly

Last edited:
Had a quick flight over the house today after all the charging/ updates and getting it to connect‍♂️

Think it will be great fun and really surprised by the image quality so far.

Flying is going to take a hell of a lot of practice before I’m used to it.. not very intuitive for me anyway.
Nothing exciting just obligatory above house shots

dji_fly_20230713_211204_1_1689280179715_photo.jpegdji_fly_20230713_211228_2_1689280173721_photo.jpeg

Good start :)

Go to a wide open space in the countryside if you can, and practice :)

Another we trip out tonight. Went to some fields near my house then onto the local practice golf course.

Boy does this thing eat batteries.
Flew out about 600m and 100 up took a few pictures and flew back and that drained about 1/4 of the battery.
Again went to max height had a wee fligh about took some pictures and then tested the auto video things which only last two min then it said 5mim remaining return to home.

Have tow battery but might have to buy the fly more kit too.

Great fun though

dji_fly_20230715_212154_11_1689452764641_photo.jpegdji_fly_20230715_213912_12_1689454070110_photo.jpeg

I get about 20/25 minutes fly time on each battery on average. I have 5 now! A good hour and a half or more of fun time :)

Thinking about my first drone (249g) but put off by my house and surrounding points of interest being close to an airport. I hardly ever travel so am worried it’ll be a paperweight after initial novelty wears off.

Thinking about my first drone (249g) but put off by my house and surrounding points of interest being close to an airport. I hardly ever travel so am worried it’ll be a paperweight after initial novelty wears off.

Download the app to your phone called "Drone Assist" and have a look at what zones are limited.

Paul.

Download the app to your phone called "Drone Assist" and have a look at what zones are limited.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

As with my photography, what worries me more is that once I have used it in the usual places within 5 miles of my house I will be bored with it - the root cause here is being a hermit - I know the UK is a big place with lots of interesting things to snap/video :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Why does everything have to be so difficult, confusing and contradictory - particularly when you could innocently/deliberately just go outside with your drone and fly it wherever you wanted?

The DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone says this....

1689587858750.png

Blue Authorization Zones can be self-unlocked by someone with a registered DJI account - so according to this website I can legally fly within the rules for 250g drones.

Sounds great.

But the Dronesafe website says something contradictory and that the whole area in RED is a Flight Restricted Zone and that I need permission from Air Traffic control?!?!?!.

Untitled-1.jpg

One set of rules to follow would be amazing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back